Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Insanity~

Hahvoc The Decepticon

Singularity
So this is gonna be my little work out journal that I'll be sharing with Krys Snape. [if you wanna post in here, too. xD] (And for anyone else who wants to join us on our quest!) It's probably gonna be a very boring read for other people but it's to keep myself motivated and pretty much a place to bitch and moan about how much my muscles hurt. So starting next week, I will be working out and hopefully getting into the shape that I've always wanted but never really had the motivation to do. So I took the step and ordered Insanity. I kept seeing it on commercials and finally just said, "fuck it, I'm ordering it." I used to play sports and would have 2 hour practices and I loved that. I loved feeling both tired and accomplished afterwards. I used to be very athletic and then fucked up my ankle, and pretty much got lazy with no motivation to do much after a lot of emotional blackholes that trampled me.

So now I'm just doing something for myself to make me love my body and myself. I want to feel attractive and not just think, "Well, this is what I've got and it sucks, but I have to live with it." I don't wanna settle, even with my figure, so I'm gonna start changing it to fit what I want to look like. I wanna look sexy and maybe occasionally slutty [and what's so wrong with that?] and be able to say, "yeah, I look good and feel good," and not just for a little while but all day.

So here's to feeling like a champ every day. It's gonna be a long journey.

Hi, you guys have inspired me to start getting active myself(after arguing with the scale about it for a couple of weeks), so I've decided to join you! My usual state of activity consists of standing for 6 hours a day and then sitting for the remainder of it. I've been eating better but the scale insists that it is not enough and refuses to change her opinion no matter how few calories I consume per day. So, right. Working out.

But it's okay! We can get excited about this, just as much as I got excited when I figured out vegetables are food. =D I don't have a lot of money and I live in a semi urban neighborhood now, so, I've chosen walking. It's Fall so I get bundled up enough that nobody's gonna see my fat ass anyway. Do you like how when you start an exercise activity for the first time, the universe conspires with you secretly to resist? Like, every little thing. "Alright, all set and in my coat and everything. Gonna do this! Yeah! Oop! Gotta pee. Hold on, can't start right now, my scarf is choking me. Alright, on the way out the door--uh-oh! There's a something poking me in my shoe! Just a second and I'll totally get started on this 'walking' business, I promise."

Finally, I got out there and set my phone alarm for 10 minutes(I planned to walk for 10 minutes and then turn around and walk back). Set out and it was actually a pretty nice day and really easy. The walk out during those first 10 minutes was easy. The coming back afterwards was hard, with me removing my hat and breathing heavy and sweating. This is residential shit with sidewalks and I wasn't moving any slower or faster than an average pace. But it damn near tore me down coming back. This is what we call "starting at 0". I think I will set the clock for about 7 minutes to make the entire walk come out closer to 15 minutes instead of 20. Just to start out. As I get used to it, I will hopefully increase the minutes and increase the distance over a period of time.

Okay, so, I just got back and I weighed myself at 181.0. That is what I weighed last night, but factor in the fact that you usually weigh less right when you wake up than you did before going to sleep, and that I ate a spinach and mushroom omelet this morning, I think I'm pretty pleased with the result already. From what I expected out of a 20 minute walk for the first time ever, I am pleased with it and have high hopes that the longer the walks become, the more results I will see. Just to really jump start my ability to adapt to this, after dinner(which will be vegetarian quesadillas) I'm gonna go for another walk. I think on days I work, squeezing in a 20 minute walk will be fine, but on my days off, I'm gonna try to do a morning and an evening walk.

See, I haven't seen my doctor in about 6 months and last time she saw me, I weighed a little over 200lbs. Already I'm gonna surprise her being down to where I'm at, but my next appointment is on the 22 of October and my goal is to be 175 by then. Might seem a bit fast but I jumped down from 197-185 in 2 weeks just from changing my diet. My entire goal with this is to be 165lbs. Either that or lose this chunky belly I've got. Whichever comes first. So, that is my first report! Good luck team! We can do it, guys!

I've heard it takes around 20-30 minutes of exercise to actually burn anything, so lately(around mid September) I've been lifting weights and doing stuff like sit-ups and push-ups and the like, and then take a walk around my neighborhood which tends to take around 40-45 minutes. Not sure if I should do it the other way around, as walking seems to be a lot less strenuous. Also think I should probably start going downtown to make these walks longer, maybe apply some places while I'm at it, maybe meet some new people since I'm pretty much a hermit. Wondering if I shouldn't do this twice a day, too. I certainly have the free time, what with no job and no school.

Fr the past couple years I've been trying to lose weight along with my parents. I've gone down from 250 to 185ish, but for quite a while now I've been stuck at around 195-200 despite becoming more active lately. We've been on Atkin's, though I'm not as strict as I should be, I guess. Maybe I'm too fussy about what I eat, and a lot of what I like to eat are a lot more carby than other foods, so I have to find ways around that.

Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat because it's all compact while fat is not. I don't recommend diets that cut out food groups because I feel like that deprives the body of valuable nutrients. The food pyramid says to have about 6 servings of carbs, so using a diet that cuts all that out is just something that bothers me immensely. Cutting out junk food? That's pretty much empty calories with very little nutritional value so I can understand cutting those out.

I would try going to two walks a day. If you can afford a gym membership, I would suggest using their pool as it has low impact on joints and works the whole body.

And yay for people coming in here! Motivation! And good job, Quin! That's really awesome to hear that you've gone done quite a bit in weight. =D

I agree with Hahvoc. I'm on the raw foods diet which focuses more on nutrients and raw fruits and vegetables, but I still consume the occasional animal protein(because I hate beans and legumes; I just can't do it, they make me gag) and I cook things at least once a week. I don't eat as many carbs right now but that's because I have a major addiction to them and I'm trying to learn about that odd "self control" thing I hear everybody talking about(plus, when I eat carbohydrates, like a sandwich or a bowl of pasta, although I adore them, they affect my mood, make me tired and make me feel like I've got a rock in my stomach). So, I'm basically tipping the scale from carb focused to include more nutrients. I've tried to stop thinking of eating as "an activity to be enjoyed" and more like "I have to make this fuel palatable for the factory I am operating". It's kinda clinical but it's what works for me and helps me avoid temptations. *shrugs*

Thank you, Hahvoc! I have never heard of Insanity before you brought it up here and I'm excited to hear how it works out for you. Also, thank you for the suggestions; I did not know that about swimming and it might be a fun thing to add to my exercising! Nothing compares to the weightlessness of being in water; that shit is always fun. ^^ I'm also excited to hear how things work out with you too Boxy!

I think it's awesome you guys are doing this and logging it, etc. I'm going to be your resident cheerleader. Just without the outfit and snappy cheers. But you know, I'll be here to support and let you know I'm reading and supporting. :)

I'll start swimming when I lose some weight. I really just am not comfortable with how I look and knowing that I would probably be there by myself. [Doesn't like being around a lot of strangers]

And yay! We have a cheerleader! ;D

Yay, a cheerleader! =D

Okay, so yesterday, I failed to take my second walk because I laid down for a nap around 1 and didn't rise until 6 and the sun was rapidly going down at that point and that seemed excuse enough not to do it(read: lazy). But I did get both my walks in today, the first went walking for 12 minutes after breakfast and I just got back from a 14 minute walk after eating dinner an hour ago. Weighed myself and I'm down to 180.6. It's not much because for the past 3-4 weeks I've been stagnating at 180. But this is the beginning! I am hopeful! Gotta keep it up! Gotta keep going! >,<

Yes. You all have a cheerleader. :)

And that sounds like a great plan, Hahvy. Swimming is a great way to exercise. You tend to feel like you aren't doing much when in fact you are. Plus you also tend to exercise a lot of muscle groups you can't or might not otherwise.

And that's awesome, RQ!!! I love walking myself. I find it a great time to just sort of unwind and think and all those wonderful things. You'd be amazed at the creativity that tends to strike while taking a brisk walk, hee!

Sounds like the two of you are off to a great start with great ideas. WOOHOO!!! <333

I do about two walks a day. I walk about 20 minutes [there and back] to school and then about a 10-15 minute walk to and from work.

But I love eating junk food so it doesn't really do much. But I went grocery shopping so I will be eating better in general.

Good luck with eating better! Even starting small is okay 'cause it gets your foot in the door. But I am totally rooting for you, Hahvy! That shit is hard as fuck to change. =( Any small successes(like even just an apple in the morning and changing nothing else) are actually big triumphs, when it comes to food, in my opinion. I think because it holds such a primal/instinctual place in all of us and our societies have developed a social aspect to eating and emotional bonding to flavors and memories, it's such a hard thing to say "no" to.

Well I tend to eat better when I have food I want to eat in the house.

Like, I usually make my own "fries" by baking them in the oven with a little bit of garlic and salt and pepper. Super yummy.

I also bake bacon in the oven and drain all the fat off that way.

And then just cooking random things in general.

Same here. If I don't have something already prepared to shove into my mouth while on lunch at work, I'm likely to buy something from the vending machine or snag a piece of that birthday cake they happened to leave in the break room. At home, I'm likely to run out real quick for dinner if I don't plan the meals out beforehand. Those french fries sound delicious! ^^

Yeah, you just chop up a potato into quarters and then make the fries as big as you want, put them in a bag with olive oil, salt, pepper, as much garlic as you want, shake em up, and then put them on a cookie sheet and put in the over around 400 for about 10 minutes on each side.

Cheerleaders are nice, but can't I have someone help whip me into shape? With an actual whip and all? :p

Guess I'm lucky since I'm still living with my parents, and they tend to make healthier meals than in the past when we'd usually just go out to eat for dinner. Of course, I've had to plan my own, too, and it's been a bit of a compromise with some things. Instead of sandwiches, I'll have one piece of peanut butter toast. Still not entirely good for me, but better than it was. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably just get up in the morning in time to have bacon and eggs with the rest of the family.

Instead of real pasta, sometimes we'll have spaghetti squash. Chili's not too bad for you, either. Apparently some fruits aren't so great on atkins, but vegetables are fine so I'll have cucumber or carrots or broccoli. Unsalted peanuts are ok to snack on. Have completely quit soda, have coffee without sugar, and stuff like splenda isn't really worth it to me because it has a bad after taste anyway, and there's always tea. Though I guess I should just generally be drinking more water than anything else.

Not that I haven't had any bad days at all. There have been days where I've cheated, particularly on special occasions like holidays, or my grandfather's funeral last November. Probably gonna have some candy on halloween since these past few years I've only been handing it out to little brats. :p And plan on having pizza, beer, and cookies on my birthday next month. I could have a bit more self control and take more responsibility, and I'm willing to own up to it, but I figure I've weighed up whether it's worth it, and I'm not in any particular rush to lose all this weight. It's going to be slow going regardless, so I should take my time and give myself a small break once in a while.

I say that everyone should make those personal decisions for themselves and that it's alright to cheat for those special occasions if you can handle it. You have to enjoy yourself at least once in a while(just so long as you don't justify the hell out of "once in a while" to become something that it's not).

Personally, I've found I simply cannot be trusted at this juncture to stick to the mantra "I can taste and enjoy a little bit of this and save the rest; I don't have to eat all of this right now." They had donuts in the breakroom the other day and my plan upon grabbing one was to eat 1/3 of it and save the rest for my next break. In seconds after the first bite, the decision wasn't even made before the entire thing made it's way down my throat, along with another one as well. I went out to an Italian place a couple weeks ago with some family and got the chicken parmesan with a side of fettuccine alfredo with sauteed mushrooms. I tried to go with that same philosophy but after the first bite, it morphed into "I'm going to be disappointed with the scale when I get home just from one bite of this anyways... Might as well eat the whole thing..." added onto "Oh, God! I don't want to bring this home with me! I don't want leftovers! I must get rid of it! Om nom nom nom!" I simply haven't formed enough self control to make it worth it to enjoy myself a "little" because I end up binging on bad crap and forcing myself a hundred steps back from where I've worked so hard to be.

That being said, I applaud people who have restraint enough not to go crazy when they get within a few feet of something nutritionally void yet oh so tasty. It's your personal journey and the focus and goals are yours.

I've recently stopped eating things in the nightshade family(tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers) because I've noticed they make me feel anxious and I get irrationally sad about the stupidest crap. That is my main motivation with this. Sure, the weight loss and self-confidence are a nice prize, but I do not like the way certain foods make me feel, particularly when I know I'm being irrational but I'm on a chemical rollercoaster that is hard to stop once it starts and hard to prevent because I have no idea what will trigger it. There have been very few instances of my depression returning since I started eating veggies and it usually happens only when I cave to temptation. So, that's another thing that I have to weigh in for myself. Not just, "Can I enjoy just a little bit of this," but "how much of this can I eat before it makes me feel like crying about everyone possibly hating me, despite evidence saying otherwise?" Add onto that the stomach aches and the fatigue that accompanies these "cheats" and it simply is not worth it to test how much I'm learning from my mistakes just yet.

Although, I do agree on needing a personal whipping motivator. If you happen to find somebody affordable and inconspicuous who can follow me everywhere, I will totally get that. Develop self control through trauma or habitual response, like Pavlov's dog, so even when the personal motivator is gone, the fear of being whipped if I eat that junk food stays with me. This sounds like a good plan. Does somebody want to look this up on Craigslist? I think searching for "psycho life coach" might get results closest to what we're all aiming for, right? XD

I snack worse if I leave a bag of chips or whatever in my room because it's easy access. If I put it in the kitchen, I won't go bothering to look for it. I also chew gum a shit ton more because it allows me to chew on something without eating it.

Just a tip for some people who snack a lot.

Well, my insanity workout finally came in the mail and I've just been reviewing all the stuff. It's a lot to take in but it does have the wiggle room for me to eat what I like to eat without forcing myself to eat foods that I just can't stomach. I also get sundays off so that helps me a lot since I work about 8 hours and that would be a really good rest day. I will be starting it on monday with the fit test and hope I don't just utterly fail. @_@ Even if I don't complete every work out each day for the first week, I know that I'll make myself get through most of it. I don't know yet if I'll do my work outs before class or after class [probably after] so then I'll have that time between to shower and clean myself up before work. I also ordered their pills to help boost my metabolism and I'm also gonna invest in vitamins.

I start my workout on monday and really hope I don't completely fail. @_@ I'm nervous about it already.

You can do it Hahvoc I started my working out yesterday and I feel like I got hit by a bus today but I'm still motivated to do more and work my ass off.....literally! XD Keep focus and do your best I'm gonna be doing my workouts early morning and late afternoon/early evening and I'm watching what I eat as well. I have faith in you Hahvoc and I know you'll do well and we can help keep each other motivated as well :D

Nah I'm going a different route I'm pretty much mixing a bunch of different workouts together, IE: Tae bo, Lots of walking, Old Karate workouts I used to do while in Karate, Stretches, Weight Training, and a bunch of other stuff. The Insanity workout costs too much for me at this point in time but I do plan on getting it when I'm caught up on the rest of my bills but for now I use what I got and from how I feel today yesterday was a success.

Ahhhh. Well, that's still pretty awesome! At least you feel it was a success. That's great! Yes, I'll need you to keep me motivated. I might die. I'm that intimidated. XD

Don't be intimidated own that workout like it's your bitch! That's how I'm looking at it pretty much, remember to stretch before your workouts though it helps a lot lol

Back
Top Bottom