Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Darkened Hearts (Orcus/SHARPii)

Lila smiled gently and nodded. "Perhaps I can oblige." She said gently, sipping her wine again and she looked at him. "So is it true?" She asked. "You hunt? You're hunting the famed and deranged killer, Jack the Ripper?" She thought it was noble of him of course but also wondering if it was true at all or that was just a story to gain a place to stay. Since the story surely did captivate her as well as the other guests.

"Oh, I came here to hunt him. I hope to kill him." He crossed his arms and thought about it. "Or her, or them, or even it. We no so little. I hope to figure out more." He turned and smiled at her. "Hunting a murder isn't the same as hunting a predator. I've hunted and killed both but I've never seen anything like the Ripper." That was true. Even the other vampires he'd killed wouldn't have done anything like this. Well, all kinds of things had been done in wars, but never in the dark hours of a normally peaceful city.

Her eyes went slightly wide as he said this, confirming his intentions. She nodded slowly, warily even and she sipped her wine once more and then looked back in his direction. "That's mighty brave of you. Mother and Father don't disclose anything to me about it but you hear things. The state in which he left the bodies, what was done to them." She shook her head. "It's...sickening. Even if the women he targets aren't of high status, it doesn't matter. No life should be subjected to that." She shivered a little bit at the very thought of it, going even a little pale. Looking at her wine, its crimson color, she suddenly no longer wanted to sip it. Putting it down on the little patio table, she turned to face out into the world and sighed softly, longingly.

"You've been around. What's it like? Outside of London? Out of England, in fact."

"Well..." Where to start, he wondered. "To the north you have vast oceans that turn into land of pure ice where the days go on for what feels like forever and the nights are even longer. To the east you have, Russia. It's a big place, but so much of it is wasteland. South of Russia are the Asian countries. Those people all look the same until you get to know them. Their languages are so different from anything else I've ever heard."

He pulled out a small journal and opened it for her. There were pictures drawn in it, but they weren't very good. Frances wasn't very good at drawing even with all the time he had to practice. "There's a place called China that has the most colorful and flamboyant people you've ever seen. Even their warriors do a kind of dance when fighting. I also went to these little islands called Japan. It is perhaps the most sadistic nation on Earth. I'll spare you the gory details."

"he turned a few more pages to show her some pictures of the things he'd killed. "In Africa, there's a creature shaped so much like a man it's scary. It has a face and fingers and everything else, but it's so much stronger and in roars when it's angry and pounds on its chest like this." He knocked on his own chest with his fist and pushed his jaw forward.

Her attention turned from the twinkling lights of the city before her back to him, perching her chin on her hand as her elbow rested on the stone ledge. A smile came over her face lightly, listening to his tale of the many places he'd gone. It was mind boggling and even a little bit of envy came over her. From the high north to Russia, to Asia and even Africa. Of course while growing up, her education covered all these places known around the world but it was different reading from a book or hearing it from an educator than when someone actually told their experience. His experiences were captivating.

"Japan? Really?" She asked, the thought actually shocking her that a place could be as sadistic as he said it was. Then again, she only knew from what she read and her understanding was that places like China, Japan or even India, Egypt even, were and are pretty cruel as far as certain situations go, mostly punishment.

Looking at his journal, the lac of drawing amused her in an innocent way but she wasn't one to talk. She had tried and tried only to fail numerous times as far as arts were concerned. Her figured ended up looking like deformed beings with their limbs coming out of their face. It definitely never pleased her mother but the fact Lila excelled well in music at least was something enough, enough for her mother to forgive her lack of accomplishment in drawing or painting.

"A...g-gorilla?" She knew of the creature from what she's read but the way he made the creature out seemed so terrifying. "You've killed a gorilla?"

"Actually I've killed about there of them. One of them was female." He stopped a moment to chuckle. "They're like us in that way. The females can be far more dangerous that the males. Men are fighters and workers and doers, but women..."

He turned to Delilah with a grin. "You women can always out think us." He took a moment to look at her in her lovely dress. "and you make thinking so damned difficult."

Her jaw was almost on the floor, shocked. She wanted to ask why but was easily distracted when his words seemed to have a double meaning. A blush crept over her cheeks and she looked away from him bashfully. "Is that why you killed the female gorilla?" She giggled a little bit. "She made thinking for you so difficult, as you say?" It was said in a small teasing manner, one she simply couldn't avoid.

"Only when she head me in the head." He chuckled about that for a moment, but than became silent and thoughtful. "I killed her because she had killed my guide. He was a very small but kind man and he didn't deserve what she did to him. I never really learned to say his name. He let me cal him 'Jimmy."

He looked out at the city Whitechaple now. "Everything kills for a reason. I've never seen a killer like the Ripper. To kill in such a way more times than once. Is he a cannibal? Is he a religious fanatic killing these woman for the 'sin' of fornication? Or are these women being killed by someone else entirely and the Ripper just playing with the corpses? If we can find out why he kills, we may find him."

Her smile soon faded though when his chuckling ceased and he explained the actual reason he killed her. She gulped and then frowned. "I'm sorry. That's terrible." She said softly, turning her head in his direction now. Her face followed his as he looked out at the city and she turned to face it. Here she was thinking there was something magical and interesting to uncover about it but the true reality of it was it was just a dark place, with people like The Ripper prowling the streets, instilling terror and fear in everyone. "Well I hope the man is found and dealt with immediately. I'd like to see all that London has to offer. But not when there are threats like him out there. But then again, I suppose there'd always be threats out there; one simply needs to be safe and brave, using their common sense." She said softly.

"I want to see the world." She put her hand on her cheek now and tilted her head, sighing softly as if a dreamy gaze came over her face. "More than just what I read in books or from my education. But really see it. I want to be more than just...a Lady to be married off to the highest bidder." She whispered that last sentence, looking down at the cobblestone road below her. "My mother says girls would kill to be born into a family of this kind of standing, even of higher standing. They don't know the entire thing until they've actually experienced it, seeing it for what it really is. Confinement. Solitude. An ungodly prison."

"Women have it hard just about anywhere you go. The Arabs treat their horses better. It's a strange thing, really." He turned around. "I think your party is almost over. Congratulations, you missed most of it." He was back to chuckling.

She sighed softly. "Then perhaps I should leave my life under the guise of a man. Perhaps I can get places better." She smiled, though actually half contemplating that idea.
Looking back at the open doors that led back into the gathering, she saw less and less people and just smiled before turning her attention back to him. "Thank goodness. This night is almost over. I thought it'd never happen."

"I hope you're joking. It would be a shame for you to have to cut your hair short." He reached over to touch her hair for a moment. "There's always hope, my lady. You could marry an adventurous man, and see the world with him."

Looking at him, she smiled lightly and shrugged lightly. "Happen to know any adventurous men of noble standing that would be worthy of approval?" She asked gently, tilting her head slightly. "I don't care for noble blood or standing." She whispered. "They do." She nodded her head to the opened doors, not taking her eyes off of him. "I think I could look okay in short hair. Or I would just wear my hair under a hat. No one would tell the difference, right?" She laughed lightly. "Besides, the point isn't to appeal to anyone. Just see the world."

"Noble blood?" He thought about it for a moment. "Well I'm no noble. Even if I kill the Ripper spilling that blood wont raise the value of my own. Even if I have been knighted my father wasn't." He held up his journal again. "Breeding isn't everything, my lady. I know of many places you could go where only your gold matters. And I have lots of gold." He handed her his journal. Feel free to read it. I have a great hunt ahead of me."

((I hope you don't mind how short my post are. I'm dyslexic so I've gotten into the habit of slimming down my writing.))

[of course not. it's fine :3 you still give me a lot]

She blushed, looking away from him and shook her head. "I know that. They don't. But I most certainly know that." She said gently, slowly turning her head back into his direction. Taking his journal, she smiled kindly and leaned her side against the stone ledge. Nodding to him, she moved from him, taking her cup of wine and proceeding towards the inside of the manor once again. "Mr. Dawson will show you to your room." She said gently before walking back in fully. The gathering had ended and there was just a clean up process occurring. Hiding the book behind her back, her mother approached her, grabbing the wine out of her hand and taking her into the kitchen. Lila zoned out, going into another world in her mind as her mother berated her, addressing her disappointment in her lack of mingling and addressing her concern for her mingling with a commoner who was on a deadly mission. She even felt the need to make it a point that Lila was not allowed in association of it.

"Yes, Mother, of course." She was rolling her eyes on the inside but acting like the diligent young lady she had always been. "May I retire for the night? I'm quite exhausted from being hurdled at many incoming men." There was a slight resentment in her tone but she just smiled, a fake smile bu Lady Derby did not know the difference.
"Of course. Have one of the ladies help you." She insisted.
"Really, I'm okay. I want to undress myself and get ready for bed by myself." She said softly, earning a stern look from her mother. "Please." She whispered, her whisper and tone being actually genuine, pleading.
Her mother nodded and bringing the journal to her stomach as she turned, she walked away, up the stairs to her room and shut the door behind her. She put her hand on her stomach and closed her eyes, steadying her breathing. She was so tired. Tired of it all.

Placing the journal on her vanity, she started working on untying every single tie of her dress before letting it fall to the ground, wearing a gossamer petticoat and corset underneath it. She slipped the petticoat off and then turned her back to the large mirror, looking back at it as she worked to untie the corset. The sooner it was, the sooner she could breathe; properly at least.

[edited]

((Thank you.))

Frances sighed as he watched Delilah return to her world. She deserved better, but it was up to her to decide when you wanted to try and get it. As he walked back into the ballroom to find Mr. Dawson, he couldn't help but notice all empty space. A working man could build a house in here.

Mr. Dawson was supervising the cleanup. Apparently the motions of the maid's rear as she was scrubbing up spilled wine was of critical importance. Francis only hoped the arrogant, aging, nearsighted, stuck up, self congratulating buffoon would show him to his room without too much pomp and circumstance. "Would you be so kind as to show me to my room?" He said a politely as he could manage.

"Oh...! Yes, of course, sir. Would you kindly follow me, sir?" He began walking, and to Frances' relief he was very quick about it. "Your satchel has already been delivered. There will be a made available to attend to any needs you may have."

"I'll be spending all my nights awake and on the hunt. Do not open these blinds in the morning and do not disturb my sleep during the day. Do I make myself clear?" Frances knew Dawson was listening. He had a hold of the butler's mind and was making him hang on every word.

"I understand, sir. I will instruct the staff." He said this in a far more respectful tone.

"Good." Frances got started taking his suit off so he could change into his hunting garb. Dawson was gone now and he Frances didn't need to pretend anymore. He was a predator. Like many night before he was going out to hunt. Not just for blood, but for a life. He was dressed in denim pants, a pair of native American moccasins, a loose fitting shirt that was worn by kong fu students, his archer brace and a hooded black coat.

His weapons were a re-curved bow from the holy land, some fine steel arrows, a machete, and a rope with a wait on the end. He had picked up each of these items on his hunts and improved them as needed.

After pulling off the corset from her now nude body, she let out a heavy breath, wrapping her arms around her stomach. Under strict orders from her domineering mother, the maid who helped her to tie this corset tied it extra tight. She was surprised she didn't faint earlier. Simply leaving the clothing on the ground she went to her dresser and pulled out a floor length white silk nightgown. Pulling it on, she went to the vanity mirror, reveling int he darkness that was only ruptured from the glorious moonlight shining through her open window. Pulling out pins from her hair as well as the beret at the back of her hair. She ran her fingers through it, combing it. It felt so good to feel her finger buds on her scalp. Her eyes closed and she started scratching it. God, it felt good. The crap that goes into it to make it stay the way it was. Oh, she wanted to just throw it all out and leave out all the rest.

Moving to her bed, she groaned softly and just lay down on her stomach, pulling the covers over her head. She closed her eyes and let herself drift away into a different world, a world where she wasn't of noble blood, a world where she could be free from this oppressing life and actually do what she wanted. Sure it may have been selfish to want this and not accept what she had when others probably had nothing. But how could she have anything when she was simply raised and groomed to be the superb and perfect wife to some boring Lord or Duke, to go from one house to the other just to be dominated by another, not being able to be an actual person, one who could actually think for herself.

She wasn't like the other girls who liked to live in this world and have everything predetermined for them and not use their brains, only their less-than-witty intellect and their beauty as well as their body. Lila was just...born into the wrong family, in the wrong time, in the wrong place.

Frances opened his patio door and stepped onto the guard rial. He looked down form his perch to see if any were looking and than jumped down to the street from three stories up. He landed without a sound and vanished into the shadows of the buildings. He slipped through Whitechaple. He didn't expect to find the Ripper in one night of hunting, but he needed to know his hunting grounds.

There were whores walking the streets even now. How hard it must be for them that they must continue their trade with a murderer hunting them. He considered going over and talking with them, but it was better to observe. It was hard for him because he was hungry.

Prostitutes were the primary source of food for vampires in the city. It had been that way since long before Frances' was sire was born. He had fed from them when he absolutely needed to, but he preferred the feed from those he hunted.

Lila rolled onto her back and she pushed the covers off of her body. She let out a frustrated sigh and moved her hands through her hair before resting them above her head. Her eyes were glued to the ceiling, the smooth ceiling covered in a beautiful floral into the heavens kind of design. It was alluring and many a nights were spent staring at it rather than sleeping.

Sighing softly, she got out of bed and went to her closet and pulled out an off white floor length robe made of smooth and silky material and she tied it around herself after putting it on. Walking to the balcony doors in her room, she opened them and stepped out into the lovely night, the night wind enveloping her as she leaned out on the stone ledge, cupping her chin in her hands as her elbows propped up onto the ledge to keep her up.

Lila looked out into the night, once again taken by what the world had to offer her. Suddenly, she began to really contemplate this idea of cutting her hair off or hiding it and dawning the guise of a man to walk this world and explore. It seemed so ideal, less complex and full of freedom.

Frances was darting between allies now.He was trying to get an idea of how the Ripper might be getting around. There was no real way of narrowing down the available options. Whitechaple was a hole. He suddenly realized that the Ripper wasn't quite the hunter he'd been made out to be. He was more like a scavenger going after something nearly dead that wouldn't live to see the other end of the wasteland it wondered into anyway.

He turned back for the night. He would still hunt down and kill the Ripper, but now he knew what he was really after. There was something else he needed. Blood. He could smell her now. She was on her patio.

((Please don''t cut her hair off. I can't stand it when women cut their hair all short like boy hair.))

[lol! Don't worry xD I'm not going to do that. Good to know where you stand though xD]

Lila was lost in her own little trance, imagining a world beyond Whitechapel, beyond London, beyond England even. Something like what she read in a lot of her reading as she grew up. The many places that were imposed upon with British rule but the different cultures that had sprouted from it. The dream was such a tease, because even she knew that it was looking too far, raising hopes and going to crash and burn. She knew she had to accept it. Accept that this was her life. Being born and raised into the perfect companion of such beauty only to be married off to some noble to be wasted away with, a bearer for children. No thrill, no adventure, nothing. Well, like her mother often said, it was probably time as it is to get her head out of the clouds. Even if the latest arrival of such a strange man posed such an interest and intrigue--just something about him--nevertheless, she knew better. Slowly, her head tilted a little bit downward, continuing to do so until she was looking down completely.

"There's nothing to see, my lady." Frances was standing on the guard rail in full hunting gear. He'd made it up there silently in the shadows out of habit. He wasn't used to hunting with nobles around.

His sudden voice startled her and she stood upright quickly, running a hand through her hair as she looked at him, evident alarm in her eyes and face. "Oh, you gave me a fright." She said softly, clutching her heart. "Where did you come from?"

"I apologize, my lady. I was simply on my way to my room when I noticed you here." He hopped down onto the floor of her patio, but did not approach her. "I've just been getting a feel for this city. I need to know the Ripper's territory if I'm to know how to hunt him."

"No no of course. It's fine." She said softly. "Don't apologize." She said gently, shaking her head as she turned to face him, resting against the ledge, her right arm spread over it. "Find out anything?" She asked softly, taking in his entire appearance. He was dressed so differently, weird even--well weird to her but it was also interesting. No coif or crisp suits but simpleton clothing and it suited him as well.

"What is it about you?" She asked. "There's something about you. I can't place my finger on it. But it's something." She almost whispered, tilting her head to the side, staring.

Back
Top Bottom