Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Darkened Hearts (Orcus/SHARPii)

Orcus

Star
Was the smell of blood always so thick in London? Had that delicious stink always been wafting about where normal humans couldn't swell it. Or was it because of the murders? Three whore had been killed that they knew of. Their organs cut out of them. Such a strange thing.

Francis was walking the streets himself. Hunting the hunter. It was how he coped with the unending "life" he'd been given. He and his bow had dealt with many deplorable humans. Murderers, rapist, slavers, and any other trash that he felt like doing away with. He would say that he did this as an act of justice but in truth it was all about the hunt.

There was nothing so fine as tracking a quarry who was intelligent enough to try and trick you. It was a great thing, playing with the scum before letting them see him draw his bow and send his arrow into their hearts. He would find this killer. And he would finish him.

It was one thing to try and stay awake during one of these gatherings, but even more so attempting to breathe in a corset as tight as the current one she wore. It was a beautiful dress, no doubt; an off white color made of the finest in expensive materials with a lot of lace embroidering as well lace cuffs on the long sleeves. It was almost an off the shoulder type dress, the neck being very wide as far as the actual opening of it as it wasn’t a plunging neckline. Not the latest fashion these days at all. Plus, her mother would have her life if she was caught in an outfit as risqué as that. This was not France. This was England.

A nimble hand came to move a lock of chestnut brown hair from her face as the night’s cool air blew over her soft features. Delilah, or Lila for short was perched up on the balcony in town of a major function in which she was supposed to be presenting herself as the lady of the hour rather than the lady in hiding. It was just another boring gathering filled with her parents’ vain attempts to pair her up with an eligible bachelor of high and noble blood, plenty of money to care for her and give her the life she was used to. Well the life she was used to have become achingly mundane, as well as suffocating; more suffocating than that corset.

A soft sigh escaped from her mouth until the sudden shrill of her mother voice trying to find her. Lila groaned and just went to the balcony doors and shut them. She wanted peace, at least for another hour. She hated it more than anything to be passed off like she was some piece of meat for men to gawk at and salivate to. It was heinous. What it’d be like for just a simple escape. Even if the threat of a certain ‘Ripper’ was out there, it had to be better than this. It was excruciatingly slow. Excruciatingly painful. Just downright excruciating. Standing now, she pressed her hands on the stone railing of the balcony and just leaned on it, staring at the world below. By shutting the doors, she maybe bought herself some more time before her mother actually plucked the nerve to find her herself. In that time, she clasped her face with her hands and looked beyond at the world before her, that stretched out for miles and miles until it disappeared into the horizon. A world she wanted to escape into.

Frances just happened to look up in time to see a beautiful young woman staring out at the horizon. He could tell from her dress she was a noble woman. Frances had found her breed highly obnoxious during his life. They were even more so now and now that he had means and could project an air of standing he found himself mingling with them from time to time.

As annoying as these people where their blood was quite delicious. The few he'd told about this (as they struggled pitifully in his grasp) always seemed to think it was a result of exquisite breeding. The fact that they brought that up in the middle of being gnawed upon by a vampire only proved to Frances how ridiculously conceited they were as a class. Besides, it was probably the food.

As Frances looked at the young woman he couldn't help thinking that there was something more to her. More substance. Imagination maybe. Something that made her more like the long dead men who had earned their descendent's standing for them. He was curious to see if she measured up to his estimations.

Many thoughts ran rampant in her head, all of them dreams that she couldn't ever touch, probably never be able to touch and simply longed for a taste. Each of those thoughts kept being disturbed by her mother's voice, becoming closer and closer it seemed, even as the balcony doors were closed. Oh goodness, that woman was shrill and so demanding. It was definitely aggravating and enough to make her slip out of her reverie long enough to look down. The look in her eyes went from boring to intrigued. There was a man down there and as she was looking down, he was looking up. Up at her? No. Not possible. Probably at the sky. Leaning over, Lila as well looked up at the sky. There was not a single star out tonight. The sky was grey, with the moon shining through it, taking on this eerie look all throughout. It was almost haunting but kind of beautiful at the same time, in a very dusky, gloomy way.

Her eyes left the sky before looking back down at him. Her head tilted a little bit as she gripped the stone ledge of the balcony and she bit her lower lip. Her hand timidly raised in a sort of wave in his direction, this being her way to test the waters. It's not like she wanted to go out of her way to meet a man. No, but he definitely didn't look like the pompous and arrogant men that filled the gathering after entering back into those doors. Then again, perhaps looks were deceiving but he just seemed...peculiar.

Her hand lowered suddenly and her head whipped to look back at her, hearing her mother right behind those doors, even seeing her shadow through the linen covered windows. Gathering her dress, she quickly moved from where she stood, crossing the doors quickly as she placed her back against the wall, the wall that happily and luckily faced away from the doors, allowing her to hide. Looking down to the side, she pushed herself further into the corner, to avoid her shadow being seen. As she did this, the doors opened and her eyes closed.

"Delilah?" Her mother's shrewd voice called out, moving her head about to see but didn't bother going to where Lila really was. The poor girl was holding her breath to remain a secret. "Delilah!" She called out even louder now. Lila's hand came over her mouth. She wanted to breathe. "Oh that wretched girl!" Her mother cried before turning away, the doors soon shutting. Instantly, Lila let a deep breath out after uncovering her mouth, placing that hand on her stomach; her tightly-tied-corseted-clad-stomach.

Delilah? Could that be the woman's name? And that voice was no doubt that of her mother. A hiding noble woman. From where Frances stood he could only faintly hear Delilah's racing terrified heart and her timid breaths. He felt like applauding her for this small victory over her station. But than he realized she had only won a single battle. The war was going on in that house of hers.

He waited until her gaze happened to turn his way once again to tip his hat to her. Than a rather wicked thought occurred to him. He would need a place to stay while he hunted the Ripper. And he looked very much like a man of distinction. All he needed was a way in.

He sniffed the air and smelled wine. He tipped his hat once more to Delilah and walked in the direction of the winery. He knew the perfect way to get in.

After regaining her composure, she quietly and carefully walked to the ledge once more to peer over at the man down there. Her hand remained where it was on her stomach and her head tilted just a tad as she studied his image from how high up she was which wasn't too high. Roughly two stories to say the least. Lila couldn't really determine much from him. It's not like he looked like he lived on the streets but there still was definitely something about him that was incredibly peculiar. Her teeth lightly captured her lower lip, nodding her head gently in his direction when he tipped his hat.

However, he ended up walking away after that last motion and she couldn't help but frown for some reason. She didn't know why though.
Just like that, the doors of the balcony opened and as she turned around quickly, she was instantly met with the furious look of her mother. Lila had to refrain from rolling her eyes just a little bit. Not many words were exchanged really; just some huffs and grunts from her mother before she grabbed her arm and practically dragged her back into the gathering. It was there that after acquiring a small glass of wine, she had ended up being backed up into a corner but a man her mother introduced her to.

His name was Wallace Harold. He was a Duke and he knew it well too, didn't he? He spoke about himself annoyingly so and didn't seem to even notice just how bored she was as she leaned against the corner. The only thing that was remotely entertaining was the cup of wine in her hands at which she was sipping from. Occasional nods came from her, as well as widened eyes when he mentioned something worthy of such a look--though it was completely feigned and dripping with the utmost sarcasm--even managing to speak and saying 'Oh, I see,' but it was clear she wasn't into it at all. He didn't seem to notice. How could he when he couldn't get passed his own big head?

"More wine?" He asked. Oh, well it seemed he was capable of noticing something like her empty cup. She handed it to him rather quickly. "Yes, please." Lila let out a deep exhale after a deep breath in and she placed her hand over her stomach. Her eyes drifted to the clock and she couldn't help but frown. Still so long...
The Duke came back with a full cup of wine; thank goodness. She happily took it and sipped it as he droned on again about something pertaining to...she wasn't even paying attention, rather enjoying the reverie she entered into.

The wine was considerably expensive. When Frances walked up to Derby Manner as a perfect stranger he knew he'd need a way in. There was a butler at the door to great people. He walked up to him with his nose up to act like pompous blue blood. He was carrying a satchel that held his bow. "Sir Frances Bowman. Here to see the master of the house."

"There is a party in motion, Sir Bowman." The butler said turning to the unknown man. "We cannot simply allow an uninvited gentleman in at this time."

"Even if that gentleman comes baring a gift." He lifted the bottle and allowed the butler to see that it was of a remarkable vintage. Frances didn't know much about wine, but he did know to buy the most expensive bottle he could find.

"And how would you like to be announced, Sir Bowman?" The butler asked now far more cordial.

"Sir Frances Bowman, of... White Chapel." Seemed alright. HE had been born here, as far as he knew.

"Please come this way, Sir Bowman." The butler led Frances inside and announced, "Sir Frances Bowman, of White Chapel."

Frances entering the party technically uninvited didn't even stir a whisper. He was approached by Lord Derby out of curiosity. Not only was this man uninvited, but he had a satchel in one hand and a bottle of fine wine in the other.

((I'll let you play the father. I wouldn't know what to say.))

“Delilah.” His voice didn’t seem to do anything as she simply had her head tilted upward just a bit, clearly having zoned out. Her eyes looked almost glazed over. “Delilah.” He said again but shook her this time. She was brought back into the current and looked at the man before. Oh, it was still Wallace and her unhappiness about that kind of showed on her face. He shook her out of her reverie for what? So she could listen to him continuing droning on about something she could care less about? Yes, he was droning on about himself. She could care less.

“Are you even listening?” He asked. Blinking she just nodded meekly before taking a small sip of her wine, smiling that sweet smile that even she knew would get her out of certain blunders like this. It worked since his resolved softened, but unfortunately he continued on talking. That smile instantly faded away, her dimples disappearing beneath her cheeks as she took a long sip of her wine. Thankfully, her mother interrupted him to pull away. The one time lately she was actually thankful for her mother. “What are you doing, you silly girl?” She asked, her normally shrill voice surprisingly low. “What?” Lila asked like she didn’t know, until her mother pointed to the wine. Stiffening a little bit, Lila reluctantly handed the glass over to her. “I’ve only had one and half cups.”

“A woman of your stature cannot afford to plump up because of wine.” She even made the motion as she puffed her cheeks out and disapprovingly so. “Well maybe it’ll keep these pompous mongrels away…” She muttered, though evidently loud enough for her mother to hear. She practically gaped at her.
”I mean of course, Mother. You’re always right.” Her voice sounded uninterested and soft but like all emotion left from it as she basically caved into her mother.
“Mingle.” And with that, she left her alone, trusting her to do her duty as a young maiden of marrying age.

Her attention was taken away from the boring onslaught of the night when their butler seemed to announce a new guest. Her head turned in that direction and she watched as the man walked in. He looked familiar and then as she turned to face him completely, Lila realized that it was the same man from when she was out on the balcony. His sudden appearance was suspicious, nonetheless.

She watched as her father made his way to the man, approaching him. Oh, that ought to be interesting, perhaps spice up some things or liven up this gathering a little bit. Lord Derby, a man in his fifties with well groomed black and grey hair, spectacles perched on his long nose and wearing a clean cut and crisp black and white suit, having pulled out all the stops for an occasion as this, approached the young man and looked at him curiously. His chin was naturally raised as he had been doing that his entire life, clearly giving way to his haughty disposition. “I’m sorry, my good sir, but I’m afraid you must be lost.” He chuckled kindly as if the situation was that amusing—simply trying to mask his insult. “It’s a closed party, invitation only.”

"Surely you understand. My wife as well as myself of course do not tolerate..." He paused to look this man up and down, taking in his appearance. Well he was clearly not a Lord but even Lord Derby didn't think he suitable for his gathering in his daughter's honor. "Slinky commoners passing for nobility." Of course he would not hide his insults but he said them so sadistically with such a kind tone and not at all angrily, even smiling. It came off harsher. "I also don't think my daughter would appreciate it." He explained but then his eyes finally landed on the bottle of wine this man was holding and he recognized the crest and insignia, knowing that vineyard. "My word, is that what I think it is?" He asked, pushing his glasses up to gaze at the vintage wonder. "Hmm, if you tell me how you came by that and promise to surrender it to me, I just may not insist of your departure." Even a man like Lord Derby could be bought with a healthy bribe.

"Not much of a tail, really." Francis spoke up as he was getting ready to awe the crowd. "Hunting is how I pass my time these days. I've traveled the world and killed animals on 5 continents and every island that looked like it had something to kill on it. I've tigers in the wilds of Asia, gorillas in Africa, grizzly bears in America."

He took a much more stern look now. "But those are only the animals I've hunted. There are people out there. Despicable people who do terrible things. You all know the type. Rapist, murderers, highwaymen." The crowd was viewing him with both fear and awe. He knew he would have to get to the point now.

"One day I heard that the city of my birth was host to a whole new human animal.You know who I mean. Jack the Ripper." That really got a rise out of them. "I have returned to hunt down and kill this monster and do it, as I always have, with this."

Frances pulled his bow from his satchel and held it up for all to see. "I have only this bow and my money. I have no home, or family, I have only the hunt. But for a hunt like this I need a firm foundation to stand on. When I returned I began to look for a noble family who could be my host as I hunt the Ripper. Surely there could be no more noble house, Lord Derby."

He held the bottle for Lord Derby to take. "I always bring a gift when I must request lodging. That why I took a short walk to the winery down the street and bough the most expensive wine they had. To bring it here, and request your aid in my hunt for the ripper."

Lord Derby looked upon the young lad as he spoke, explaining his tale. By the end of it, his jaw was nearly to the ground, as was Lila's, Lady Derby's and a lot of the onlookers who had left their conversations to listen to the strange man that Lord Derby was addressing. The moment the name of Jack the Ripper came up, gasps, mostly from the females, excluding Lila erupted into the room. Sure, the killer supposedly only preyed upon women of lower class, lower status and lower morals but the threat was always out there that perhaps one of them could be his next victim. What was scarier was no one knew what the man looked like, how he'd turn up or even his whereabouts. And the ones who were taken by him definitely didn't live to tell the tale.

Lila had heard of the terrible man but that didn't really stop her from wanting to explore the world. She figured he'd have to die out at some point and perhaps everything would be safe again. Besides, new threats would always tend to arise as it is and people could live to fear the world. The brave don't live forever but the cautious don't live at all. So what was the point of life then? Living locked up with a destiny to become some nobleman's wife and bearing his children while he probably had his own affairs and left her destitute with children? That's not the life she envisioned. Because in this world, there was no such thing as happily ever after. Only compromise. Perhaps she didn't want a happily ever after but she didn't want to live a fully compromised life or just settle because her parents made her. She was nineteen and one day, she'd break free.

Lord Derby looked at this man, rather pleased definitely with the wine he brought and also his proposition. "My good sir, I myself would not be able to aid you in your noble quest. If my age allowed me, believe me I'd do what I could to keep the streets safe again so the gentle and beautiful women of this realm could be free and not live in fear. However, I'm sure there would be plenty of youthful men who would gladly aid in your quest. The most I can offer is you lodging and some hefty contacts." He nodded to him, his spectacles once again perching on his nose, rather than the bridge of it.

Taking the bottle from it, he rather happily examined it and was completely taken back. "I thank you, my boy." He patted him on the back of his shoulder and raised the bottle for everyone to see. "A vintage classic!" He cheered, laughing and the others--the men, really--cheered as well, raising their cups of wine in honor of the delicacy that was brought to him. Turning back to Francis, he smiled broadly at him. "Come in then, my boy. Make yourself at home. When the festivities die down for the night, remind me to have someone show you to a room."

Turning, he saw his daughter nearby as well as his wife, Lady Derby and he motioned them over. Her mother walked hastily towards her husband while Lila walked in a steady pace and fashion, soon joining her mother and father. Her hands were clasped together in front of her and she just looked at the man. "This is my wife, Lady Derby and my darling daughter whom this gathering is in honor of, Delilah." He said softly. Lady Derby gave Francis a wary smile while Lila just looked at him, her face giving a hint and mixture of both bewilderment and amusement. Definitely an interesting turn of events.

It was a relief hearing the Lord Derby's response was a favorable one. All of his response. This man loved to talk. The offer of contacts was the only thing really worth noting. And the fact that a man a fraction Frances' age was referring to him as "boy" was a little irritating but he'd grown to accept that sort of thing.

He could see that there were many who wanted to say one thing or another to him so he went for the easy out. He quickly reached out to the women and tossed his satchel to the butler. The motion of his arms worded off two other men who wanted to make their presence and name known to him.

"It's an honor to meet you, my lady." He addressed the mother first and kissed her hand with only the most necessary of motions so he could turn his attention to The lady of the hour. He took Delila's hands. "I apologize for interrupting... your party. May I impose on you further for a dance?"

His kind gesture actually seemed to make her mother sort of banish some thoughts of his improper entrance as his kindness seemed to dazzle her. Of course she was thinking that a man of his stature definitely knew his place among nobles which nonetheless allowed her to smile a further proper smile rather than meek one from earlier. "My my, such proper manners from the likes of you, I'm bewildered." That was the closest she could give to a compliment for a man like him, well that of which she could tell from first impressions and appearance. Though suffice to say his taste in wine definitely won Lord Derby over as well as his intention for intruding into their gathering the way he did, all of which were forgiven given his 'vigilante' tendency--as they were dubbing it in their minds.

Lila looked at the man before her, a little stunned when he took her hands and she managed a small gulp. What a touch.
She smiled gently, dimples appearing on her cheeks from such a smile, the very smile that seemed to make many suitors want to come hither, much to her dismay. "No apology necessary." She said softly, humbly dismissing it. "It'd be no imposition whatsoever. I'd love a dance." Had any other man asked her, she might have said yes, but of course they wouldn't. They were far too busy imparting their less than welcomed wisdom on her, as well as their vain conversations of themselves, doing nothing but. It's as if they felt need to sell themselves further to her which was their greatest mistake, as she had no interest to really know them in the first place.

Looking to her father in a gracious act to seek permission, he nodded reluctantly and her mother did not look too pleased for her daughter to dance with a 'commoner' looking man, despite his heroic ambition but she agreed nonetheless. Looking back at him, her smile all the more eminent, she nodded to him. She was looking forward to this. Sure, the dances may seem a bit uptight but it had to be better than standing backed in a corner all night as she listened to some Duke or Lord rant on about their many mundane accomplishments, all of which seemed to dissipate compared to this man. He knew the world.

As the music began to play Frances took Delila's hand and put his hand on the small of her back. He lifted her off the floor only slightly and moved her away from her parents to the middle of the dance floor. As he set her back down and began to dance he whispered a question in here ear. "Is that better?"

Lila let him take her hand and also found it shocking to feel his hand on the small of her back as they moved. It was even more stunning when he lifted her off of the floor but seemingly taking her away from her parents and actually being on the dance floor. Her cheeks colored a faint hue of red and she smiled gently, nodding her head slowly. "Thank you." She whispered and for the first time that night since she had left the balcony before being forcibly taken back into the gathering by her mother, she could breathe and that was made evident when she let out a soft exhale out, mostly of relief.

The dance was a slow one. Frances remained silent as he danced with her. This wasn't about his story or his plans for the ripper. He gazed into Delilah's eyes and was completely focused on making her happy. He was a perfect gentleman to her for at least this time. "You're so pretty when you're happy."

Lila danced the soft and slow danced with him, her entire being so warm beside him. Looking at him, she felt her cheeks flush, the way his eyes were locked on hers and she bit her lower lip hard. His compliment made her smile and she looked down bashfully, swallowing hard, staring at their moving feet. "I think you're far too kind."

As the song ended Frances released Delilah's waist but still held her hand. He kissed it before letting go. "Thank you so much for the dance, my lady." With that his ear was commanded by three men who wanted to join in his endeavor. They were quite persistent that he hear their proposal now.

After the song came to an end and she felt him release her though not her wrist, she looked at him and watched him. She felt as if her breathing stop for a minute and she just nodded to him. "Please, the pleasure was all mine." She said softly and as his hand left hers, she swallowed hard, watching him go off. She just turned her back to him and the chatty men and clasped her hands together in front of her, walking away from the dance floor. She looked back over her shoulder at him once more, stealing a glance before she turned to face front, finding her mother right before him. "Mother." She breathed and put her hand over her chest, over her heart from being startled. "You gave me a fright."

Lady Derby raised a brow at her daughter and roughly grabbed her wrist. "Wipe that rosiness off of your cheeks, straighten your posture. This is Lord Thomas Waverly. He's been inching to meet you." When they arrived before the dashing Lord, he nodded his head briefly to Lila but she did not offer the same clemency, much to her mother's dismay but she quickly left them alone.

"May I get you anything to drink?" He asked. Ignoring her mother's earlier berating towards her drinking, she simply smiled a soft smile, tilting her head to the side a little bit. "I'd love one."

Frances had to deal with a few more offers of help. Some of them would actually come in handy, but most were just useless. He did manage to slip away from a few and find his way to Delila once again. He came from behind and placed one hand on her mouth and another lifting her. It was like flying just above the floor. Soon they were back to the patio where it had all started. "I'm sorry for interrupting your talk, my lady Delilah, but I wanted to talk with you."

A cup of wine was in her hands as she stood by the wall sipping it. Again, the usual charade began; occasional nods here and there as well as sips of the delicious liquid in the cup and maybe some 'Oh's' or 'Interesting's.' Aside from that, he was just like all the other men her mother had forced her into conversation with. It's not just because they talked about themselves. It was that's all they did, because they only thought of themselves and their wealth as well as title, the many things they actually think women want. Maybe other women wanted that. Not her. To be honest, she didn't know what she wanted. What she knew was she didn't want to be handed around like a prized cattle to be gawked at.

Suddenly, she was whisked away, the hand on her mouth startling her until she was let go and now on the balcony again where she had been earlier. She turned around and looked at him fuming at first until she realized it was him indeed. She calmed down and held her cup of wine to herself and sipped it before looking at him once again. "You did?" She asked softly, moving over to the stone ledge and leaned against it. "And why's that?" She asked softly.

"Although I should thank you again. You seem to be coming to my aid a lot tonight."

"I can't watch you suffer like that. You're only young for so long, you know?" He held up a bottle of wine he somehow grabbed while snatching her up. "You seemed to enjoy this, my lady. Would you like some more?"

Lila sighed quietly and she just shrugged. "It's not so terrible, I suppose. I mean, perhaps I should take it as the kindest compliment." She shook her head, before eyeing the bottle of wine he seemingly managed to swipe. "How do you do that?" She asked. "How do you keep saving me and seeming to know what I like?" Which the wine wasn't because she was dependent on it. It just made the conversations with those boring men a little bit more bearable and also since her mother didn't let her have any because it'd make her not beautiful anymore. And given that Lila was her mother's most precious jewel, the thought of that 'jewel' suddenly turning ugly was not very pleasing.

"I would. But I shouldn't." Though after finishing her cup of wine, she couldn't help but hold it empty and out to him, a gesture in which she was asking him to pour more. "Maybe...one more wouldn't hurt. It helps. Makes this entire embarrassment less mundane."

Frances was more than happy to pore the adorable little human a glass of wine. "So, other than wine and the occasional act of disobedience what do you like to do?" He was genuinely listening to her.

Lila smiled at him and she sipped it slowly after he poured it and looked at him, giving a slight shrug. "I am fond of the piano. Even if Mother did push that onto me like any mother would push that onto her daughter, I actually did grow to love it. I feel like I can escape for a little while when I'm playing." She said softly. "Sewing is mundane. Writing is a little difficult to come by since I'm not too partial about arranging words, at least not on paper. And I could never paint properly to save my life." She laughed a little bit, shaking her head.

"Well I hope to hear you play some time during my stay." His smile was warm as she lifted the bottle to his lips and took a sip. Wine wouldn't get him drunk but he could drink it at the very least. He was hoping for a sip of something sweeter though. A woman such as Delilah was captivating to a man such as Frances for more reasons than she might realize.

Back
Top Bottom