Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lighting The Darkness (brumak & darkangel76)

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
It was a Friday afternoon and Alexis Khoury was ecstatic. For some reason her boss had to leave work early and because of that was leting her leave early as well. The moment she’d been given the news, she immediately set to finishing up what she was doing so that she could leave the florist shop in which she worked.

Alexis loved the florist shop and her boss, but the past week had been so busy. It seemed like every few minutes another bride was popping in to figure out floral arrangements. And then there were all the birthdays. What was it with all the birthdays that week? She smiled and shook her head as she finished up.

Once done, Alexis grabbed her coat and bag and head out the door, the little bell jingling as she swung it open. The air was a bit brisk for late September, but she loved it. The cool air on her skin was refreshing, invigorating. And she loved that she’d be able to enjoy the sunset for once outside the shop rather from behind its windows. She always loved sunset, not to mention her quiet time. And with the wonderful autumn smells that were slowly seeping their way into the air, she knew the evening was going to be a heavenly one.

Alexis slung her bag over her shoulder and thrust her hands deep into the pockets of her coat. Smiling, she made her way down the street and headed for one of her favorite places. The book shop. It wasn’t one of those commercial, chain shops. This was a cozy one, the owner a sweet little old lady who loved to dole out cookies and hot chocolate to her regular customers. Naturally, Alexis was among them.

As she made her way to the book shop, Alexis decided to splurge a little. She passed by the boba tea place and just had to go in and get one. She loved them, but a lot of the times the place was closed by the time she actually got out of work. So, since she was lucky enough to be outside and enjoying the afternoon and walk by the boba tea place while it was open… well, she had to take advantage.

“A large iced vanilla boba tea, please,” Alexis said to the woman behind the counter, her blue eyes glittering as she placed her order.

Within minutes, the boba tea was in Alexis’s hands, a broad smile crossing her lips. She paid for her boba tea and reached for one of those special fat straws made especially for allowing the large tapioca balls to pass through it. Flicking her thick dark hair, she waved goodbye and began heading for the book shop once again.

It took Alexis about ten minutes to reach the little shop. Smiling, she gently pushed open the door, discarding her boba tea cup in the little garbage bin just outside, as sbe stepped into the cozy shop.

“Marilyn?” Alexis asked aloud. Marylin was the little old lady who owned the shop.

“Lexi dear, is that you?” came the slightly shaky voice of an older woman. Marylin.

“Yes, it’s me. I got out of work early today.” Alexis couldn’t help but smile as she started perusing the books on the creaky wooden shelves.

It didn’t take long for Marylin to find Alexis. She walked right up to the young woman and placed a gentle hand against her arm. “That’s wonderful dear. You should take advantage of the extra time instead of spending your hours here.”

“But I love it here,” Alexis said in reply.

Marylin gave Alexis a knowing sort of smile. “I know, but a pretty girl like you should be out with your friends.” The old woman paused and handed Alexis a cookie. “Or with a friend of the male persuasion?” She giggled a little as she spoke, which made Alexis’s cheeks turn a bright shade of red.

“Marylin!” Alexis said in a teasing tone.

“Well Lexi, dear. It’s true.” Marylin just smiled, another small giggle escaping her lips. Though, she tried to muffle it with one of her hands.

Alexis just shook her head. She very much wanted one of those ‘friends of the male persuasion’ as Marylin had put it. But with her hours lately at the florist shop, it was nearly impossible for her to date. She tried not to let it get her down. She was still young and had plenty of time for such things. Besides, since it was a Friday and she’d have the luxury of some extra time for once, she did plan on going out with one of her girl friends for a quick drink and ‘catch up’.

“Anyway, have fun browsing the books, dear,” Marylin said before leaving Alexis alone to look at the books.

Once Marylin was back sorting through her endless piles of books, Alexis took out her cell phone and began punching in numbers.

“Hello, Stella?” Alexis began. “This is Lex.” Alexis let out a soft laugh. “Yes, yes. I was wondering if you’d like to go out for a bit tonight. Nothing fancy or wild. Just some drinks.” Again Alexis paused. “That sounds like fun. Carson’s it is. Downtown right?” She smiled a little before speaking once more. “Great. Sounds perfect. I’ll see you there at 8pm.”

Alexis hung up her cell phone, happy to have made plans with Stella. At that, she nibbled on her cookie and started looking at more of the books on the shelves.

It was around midnight when Aj Stone pulled up to a gated mansion on the outskirts of the city. Jumping up on the high concrete wall perching there in the shadows watching his mark walk around the second floor of his home. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath as he growled , " Your alone Senator bad for you good for me." Jumping down as he silently made his way threw the yard to the mansion he noticed a open window on the third floor. Crouching down Aj leaped up to the balcony on the third floor with no issues. Looking down to the ground below he was still impressed with what new skills his new life brought to him.

Aj creeped threw the home wanting the element of surprise down the stairs and to the left as he stood there in the hallway he smiled. Like an explosion AJ busted threw the door as the senator screamed like a little girl. A brief struggle happened before Aj pinned the senator to the floor. Aj planting one knee on the senators crotch as his hand grabbed him by the throat. " Hello Senator you know you pissed off the wrong people by wanting to out our kind right." Pulling out a pair of needle nose pliers Aj chuckkled , " You got a little long in the tooth and now your gonna die." The senator screamed and pleaded with Aj, " Money I give you anything just let me live." Aj smiled as the senator realized that in seconds he would be no more than a pile of ash.
"They will realize im gone and come looking for me you can't kill me", The Senator pleaded. Grabbing the remote control Aj turned on CNN.

This Just in Senator Jones killed in a plane crash were gonna take you live to scene.

Aj grinned at his handy work as the senator closed his eyes, "Open wide senator " he growled holding the pliers grabbing on of the Senators fangs. and sitting it on the floor next to him. " Now the other one.." Grabbing the other fang and jerking it out with a smile upon his face Aj laughed. " You know Senator I really love my job," Aj pulled his 45 from his side and buried it into the senators chest. " Maybe this will send a message to your friends that the council does not wish for our kind to be known." Pulling back the hammer of his side arm Aj looked deep into the senators eyes, See you in hell Senator." Pulling the trigger as the bullet ripped threw the senators chest his body lit up and turned to ash.

Standing up Aj dusted himself off grabbing the senators fangs placing them in a jar and screwing on the lid. Grabbing his cell phone pressing a few numbers all Aj said was," It's done I have what you wanted. Now send me my money same account as always." The raspy voice from the other end laughed ," Mr. Stone you never cease to amaze me with your creativity. Of course the money is sent. I will call you when I have more work for you Mr. Stone I enjoy your style and flair." Aj just stood there " Yes sir...Thank you sir." as the phone went silent.

Walking out of the Senators home Aj shook his head and mumbled to himself, " When will these fuckers learn humans are food to us." Aj detested humans after his life was changed by a prostitute in France during the first great war. He remembered it like was yesterday even though it was over 100 years ago. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time always was the way Aj's life had been even as a vampire but always getting by one way or another. Now working as hit man for the Vampire Council Aj operated above vampire law to silence the ones whom wish to out the vampire race to the humans.

Alexis enjoyed her leisurely afternoon reading her book for a while at the park, just enjoying the beauty of the day, before she finally headed home to just relax for a bit. Once home, she laid on her bed for a while, snuggling with one of her favorite fleece blankets. It was nice having these few extra hours to herself. She enjoyed her alone time when she got it, which wasn’t often.

Eventually, the sky began to darken, soft purples and reds streaking the sky. Smiling, Alexis then sat up and walked over to her window. She needed to get ready for her night out with Stella. She hadn’t seen her friend in over a week due to her busy schedule as of late at the florist shop. So she was excited to finally get some time to see her friend as well as just get out for a bit. The fact that she didn’t need to be to work until after lunch the next day, made it that much better since she wouldn’t feel the need to rush her evening along in order to get the sleep she knew she’d need to be ready for yet another busy day.

Alexis took a quick shower and blow dried her hair, the thick, dark waves rippling past her shoulders as she brushed it. She then went over to her closet to pick out something nice to wear. The nights were getting colder, so she decided on a nice pair of black pants that she liked to wear since she felt they accentuated her better features along with a teal blue knit top that she loved. The top fit her well and the color of it seemed to make her blue eyes that much more striking against her dark hair.

Looking at herself in the mirror, Alexis smiled a little. She wasn’t thrilled, but she was satisfied with the person she saw reflecting back at her. She didn’t really think herself anything special, despite what Marylin always told her. But she wasn’t totally unhappy either. Laughing to herself, she got her bag together and dabbed a small amount of lipgloss on her lips. She then found her coat and slipped on her shoes. At last she was ready.

Since it was a nice night, Alexis decided to walk to Carson’s rather than drive. It wasn’t too terribly far, about a 20 minute walk. And she could call a cab to bring her home at the end of her evening. Besides, she enjoyed walking and the fresh air and as far as she was concerned the night was perfect for such a walk.

Alexis headed further into downtown, the hustle and bustle of the nightlife becoming more apparent as she walked on to Carson’s. The lights of the various bars, clubs and restaurants flashed while people wandered up and down the streets. Finally, she reached her destination. She glanced at her watch – 7:58pm. ‘Not bad timing,’ she thought to herself with a smile as she walked into the bar.

Alexis got there before Stella, but it wasn’t long before her friend arrived. The two women had a great time chatting and catching up. But before she knew it, it was 1am.

“Oh god, it’s late!” Alexis blurted out as she took the last sip from her frozen strawberry margarita.

“Oh come on, Lex! You don’t have to work until 1pm tomorrow. Live a little!” Stella exclaimed. “I haven’t seen you in forever and you’re already trying to go home!” the blonde girl laughed playfully.

Alexis smiled and joined in with her friend’s laughter. “Oh you know I’m not trying to leave early!” She paused. “But it is late. Well, late for me!” Again she laughed. “I’ve gotta call a cab though.”

Stella just nodded understandingly. It was clear that she knew Alexis quite well and was more than happy that the two of them managed to get together for a fun evening out.

Alexis pulled out her cell phone and punched in some numbers and then made arrangements for a cab to pick her up.

“All right, well I’ve gotta go wait for my cab. You go on ahead,” Alexis said.

“I can wait with you, Lex,” Stella spoke. “You don’t want to wait alone.”

Alexis just shook her head. “No, no. I’ll be fine. It’s busy enough outside that I’m not too worried about that. Go on ahead.”

Stella quirked up an eyebrow. “You sure?”

“Yes!” Alexis laughed.

So, Stella left and headed home while Alexis went outside to wait for her cab. Several minutes passed by and there was still no sign of her cab. Starting to wonder, Alexis pulled out her cell phone and dialed the cab place once again. No answer.

“Odd,” Alexis whispered to herself as she hit the redial button.

Pacing back and forth, the answering service for the cab place picked up. Alexis scowled, frustration evident in her expression. Somewhat perturbed, she began walking home at a quick pace. As she walked, the amount of people bustling about thinned until no one was around anymore. She was alone. Feeling anxious, she picked up her pace even more.

Suddenly, Alexis’s skin began to prickle as she felt the goosebumps forming on it. She shivered just then. It felt as if someone was watching her, someone whose intentions were not in her best interest. Just then, she felt strong hands grasp her shoulders and drag her out of the dim lighting of the streets and down a much quieter, more poorly lit one.

Everything happened so quickly. One moment Alexis was walking home, the next she was on a deserted street with some stranger.

The stranger was male, large and made Alexis tremble in fear. His grip on her arm was firm and she knew it would leave bruises.

“Please, don’t hurt me,” Alexis begged. “I’ll give you my bag, my phone. Whatever. Just please.” Her voice was full of fear and panic, her blue eyes watering a little.

The stranger just laughed menacingly. “I don’t want your bag or phone, girly,” he hissed as he pulled her close and sniffed at her neck.

Alexis winced, her body shaking. “Please no,” she begged on a whisper. “Please.”

Again the stranger laughed. “Your blood has a nice smell to it.” He breathed in deeply and gave Alexis’s neck a lick. “Intoxicating.” He licked her neck again and grazed his teeth against her pale skin. “And it’ll be even more delicious after I’m through with you.”

Alexis’s eyes widened. ‘Just what is with this person?’ she thought to herself. ‘He’s a sicko!’

The stranger hissed again and revealed his fangs to Alexis before shoving her onto a parked car with a loud thwack causing her to let out a small yelp. He wrenched her body around and undid his belt and pants. He was already hard at the thought of drinking her blood and even harder at knowing that the fear he’d taste in her blood would make it that much sweeter than it smelled.

Alexis just screamed, but the stranger leaned over her back and muffled her cries with a strong hand. “I don’t think so, bitch!” he spat. “You’re gonna be a tasty meal after you get the ride of your life!”

Alexis continued to struggle and tried her best to scream. But it was no use. The stranger was strong. He was a… vampire! Oh god… a vampire? Feeling tears stream down her cheeks, she saw no way of getting out of this one… alive.

Aj found his way back to his safe house for the rest of the night. It was not often that AJ was not out working hunting down marks. Aj sat in his favorite chair and picked up his side arm and started to clean it. It was one of the few things that relaxed him anymore almost a reminder of his days in the army a happier time in his life. Aj had the motto if I was gonna be miserable I would make those he hunted just as miserable as he was. He sat there and cleaned one gun then moved on to another even though he very seldomly used it he cleaned it just as if he just fired it. It was almost dawn by the time he was done grabbing a hot shower before he crawled into his bed for the day.

Aj woke up shortly before sunset checking his phone to see if there was any work to give him something to do tonight. " Damn, two nights in row with nothing people must be listening or scared." Aj mumbled to himself.

As the sun set for the day Aj started to get dressed putting on his hunting gear. Aj figured he would go out maybe get a drink of something Alcoholic in nature. The thrust from blood was not the only thurst that he needed every now and again some whiskey hit the spot. Even though it was like drinking water to a human Aj still enjoyed the taste the only downside was dealing with the human populous.

Grabbing his coat he headed downtown every few minutes checking his phone to see if anything would come up. Aj found his way to Carson's a place he never had been to before sitting in a dark corner alone drinking. Watching the human scurry around looking for someone to take home at night and bump ugly s with. Aj remembered those days smiling on occasion thinking of his wife that had passed away years ago. The last woman he ever touched or wanted to even though he feed at brothels and whore houses AJ never touched another woman like that. Always paying them to feed cause lets face it whores really don't talk a lot about there johns.

The hair on his arm stood up that was a sure sign that another vampire was really close. His human watching now turned into spot the vampire. Deciding to walk outside to have a cigar Aj walked around the corner. Pulling the cigar to his lips as he found the vampire dragging a woman into the dark alley. Aj lit his cigar and watched the woman struggle against his grip he screams fell silent to his ears. " Holy Shit bite her and get it over with." Aj thought to himself. Never one to interfere with another vampires meal.

AJ watched the other vampire throw her in the car. Then like a knife the his words cut threw Aj like a knife .
“You’re gonna be a tasty meal after you get the ride of your life!”

This Aj was not gonna stand for its shit like this that makes the others wanna out us to the humans. Walking up along side the car he look in the window just in time to see the vampire pull out his cock. Aj thrusted his arm threw the glass of the door door window then grabbing it and squeezing it, " Now that's not very gentleman like." he growled. His other hand grabbed the vampire by the throat and drug him out the window. One hand on his manhood the other on his throat, " Stupid fucker It's pieces of shit like you that are gonna get us noticed." Aj growled as he threw him to the ground. Putting a knee on his chest Aj pulled out his boot knife. " I'm gonna let you live but your gonna have something to think about for a long time." With a firm grip and a fast flash of his blade AJ severed the mans penis throwing it on the ground then letting him up.

" Now get the fuck outta here..." He growled as he flashed his fangs at him.

" You have made a terrible mistake stranger and you will have hell to pay." the vampire screamed as he ran out of the alley fixing his pants.

" Blah Blah Blah." Aj said mockingly. " The story of my life."

Aj turned to the woman looking her in the eye, " You need to forget everything you seen here tonight. Next time you will not be so lucky." AJ opened the car door then started to walk back to the bar to finish his whiskey.

Everything happened so quickly. One moment Alexis feared for her life, her honor. The next, the stranger who turned out to be a vampire of all things, who was about to make a meal and then some out of her, was yanked off of her. A large hand had somehow smashed through the glass, dragging the vampire off of her body. She couldn’t make out this new person’s words, but she could hear his growls, the anger.

Totally disheveled, Alexis sat up and watched the scene before her in horror. This new stranger hurled the vampire onto the ground and was on him quicker than she could blink. Watching through the broken window, she pulled her top back in place and desperately tried to fix her pants all the while keeping her eyes fixed on what was happening. She suddenly gasped when she saw the new person, her rescuer, whip out a knife.

“Oh god!” Alexis whispered aloud. She wanted to run, but her body just wouldn’t move. It was as if she were frozen, a statue.

Suddenly, Alexis’s rescuer cut off the vampire’s penis and tossed it on the ground like it was garbage. The vampire screamed out, his cries echoing through the streets. But no one came. Not a soul. Alexis felt like she was going to be sick and found her entire body feeling weaker by the second. She felt like she was going to pass out.

“Get it together, Lex,” Alexis said quietly to herself.

“Now get the fuck outta here…” Alexis’s rescuer growled at the vampire. And then he too flashed his fangs.

Alexis felt another wave of fear wash over her. ‘More vampires? More? What?’ she thought to herself. Slowly her world was turning upside down, becoming more bizarre.

The two vampires exchanged words and finally the one who’d attacked Alexis took off down the street screaming.

“Blah blah blah. The story of my life,” Alexis’s rescuer, a vampire, mumbled.

Alexis sat there shaking like a leaf, her arms clutched tightly about her middle, tears streaming down her cheeks. Just then, the vampire turned to face her and looked directly into her tear-filled, blue eyes through the broken window.

“You need to forget everything you’ve seen here tonight. Next time you will not be so lucky.” His voice was gruff and angry as he swung open Alexis’s door before turning on his heels and walking away.

Alexis was dumbfounded. This vampire came from out of nowhere. He saved her, fought with another vampire who had attacked her and now he expected her to just forget what happened? There was no way in hell she could do that. It was impossible.

Trying to make sense of everything, Alexis sat there for a few minutes before standing up. She shivered and a wave of nausea suddenly hit her hard. Turning quickly, she got sick on the ground. Once done, she wiped her mouth and looked up to see her rescuer a good way up the street. She needed answers. And if he thought she was going to forget, he was just plain crazy.

“Wait!” Alexis shouted, not sure if chasing down a vampire, even one who rescued her, was the smartest thing she could do. “Wait!”

Alexis ran after the vampire as fast as she could. When she caught up to him, she touched his arm hesitantly. He turned around to look at her, his expression a strange mix of angry and annoyed. Immediately, she shrank back in fear.

“I’m sorry,” Alexis said, wrapping her arms around her middle once again, biting down on her lip as she cast her glance down at the pavement. Taking a shaky breath, she looked back up into the vampire’s eyes. “Please, I can’t forget this.” She paused a moment. “And… thank you.”

Suddenly, Alexis heard strange growls and hisses coming from the shadows all around her. Her eyes darted around trying to see what was making the sounds, but she couldn’t see a thing in the darkness. Terrified, she began to whimper and cry a little. She looked back at the vampire standing before her.

“What is that? What… is… that…?” Alexis asked through trembling lips, her voice nothing but a whisper.

Pulling the cigar from his inside pocket that he tried to light just moments before Aj felt a tug on his arm and a soft voice.   Taking a deep breath he turned around. In the back of his head he thought, Great she sees two vampires and now she is gonna want a history lession.  " Thats nice", he said as she thanked him. " Lady don't make me angry do yourself a favor and GO HOME !", Aj exclaimed with base in his voice.  

Then the hair on his arm started to stand on end. His eyes lifted up to the dark alley. Four more vampires slowly creeping in the shadows towards them. " Looks like you was gonna be a buffet meal. " Aj said as he grabbed her putting him between the others and her.  

Aj could tell that even if he screamed at her to run she would stand there frozen. He was the same way when he saw his first vampire. 

Pulling his gun from his side Aj took aim at the first vampire he saw and squeezed the trigger.  Boom as the gun sounded like a clap of thunder as the bullet flew from the barrel the vampire screamed as his body lit up and turned to ash.  The other three flew at Aj at break neck speed.  Taking aim Boom , Boom two more vampires lit up the dark alley and turned to ash right before there eyes.  Then the last one froze , Aj Stone yes...you have made yourself a marked man. Standing in the way of one of the elders son before he feed." 

" Fuck" Aj said softly he slowly realized that he made a choice that could never be changed. Looking at the last vampire as his finger tip ran up and down the trigger.  " Take something back to the council if I'm a marked vampire tell them to come and get me."

Aj knew he was in trouble, Putting in a new clip into his gun Aj pulled the slide back chambering a new round.  " Leave the woman and maybe they will go easy on you Aj." the vampire hissed.  

One split second decision totally changing his life forever, Aj took a deep breath and smiled, " Na I think she will make a good snack for later. " 

Pulling the trigger the standard bullet left the gun rippig threw the eye of the vampire. Aj spun around grabbing the girl throwing her over his shoulder and running down the street. 

Aj sat her down right next to his car..." No I'm not gonna eat ya. " Cutting her off before she screamed for her life agian. " You have two choices lady you can go home and probably be dead by dawn or take your chances with me and see if I can pull our asses out of the fire somehow. " Walking up to the driverside door then stopping. " Well...? Times a wasting." 

Without any further hesitation, Alexis ran around to the passenger side of the car, swung open the door and hopped in. Her entire body was trembling in fear. She had no idea what the hell was going on. All she knew was that vampires truly existed and she had watched her vampire-rescuer de-man one, apparently an elder’s son? And gun down another four in cold blood. Five vampires all together.

As soon as Alexis closed her door, the car sped off. She looked over at the vampire driving the vehicle and swallowed.

“So you’re name’s AJ Stone?” Alexis asked nervously. “I’m Alexis. Alexis Khoury.” She smiled weakly, despite how terrified she was.

Alexis needed to calm down, somehow get a grip. Everything was spiraling out of control; everything was happening so quickly. She had no idea what was in store for her now, but somehow she knew her life would never be the same again. Not ever. And she had a horrible feeling that she wouldn’t be able to go back to her normal life either. No more Stella, no more Marylin. No more book shop or boba tea. No more florist shop.

“So, uh, you’re a vampire?” Alexis stammered. “I didn’t know people like you actually existed.” Again, she tried to smile. But her efforts were in vain. Biting down on her lip, she added. “Also, I’d like to thank you again…” her voice trailed. “For saving me back there.”

The vampire the others had called AJ looked so menacing in Alexis’s eyes. He rescued her, but could she truly trust him? She didn’t know. He said that he’d try to find a way to keep them safe. But he also said she’d make a good snack for later on. Which was true, which was not? She was truly at a loss in that regard. She never knew that vampires actually existed and therefore had no idea as to which rumors about them were true. The only thing she was certain about was their thirst for blood. Her attacker from earlier had made that bit of information evidently clear.

Still quite shaken, Alexis then asked, “Where are we going?”

Aj looked at her as she jumped into the car.  Holding his hand out Aj said, " Your cell phone they can track us and probably will once they find out you have one. Throw it out the window...Now."  Aj threw the car in gear and started to drive off headed south the quickest way out of the city. " You can thank me when we survive this cluster fuck that I got us into. " Shaking his head while he got quiet thinking of where to go. 

Aj glanced over at her and started to chuckle softly. " Yes I am but not like you think. No, I'm not gonna bite you or make a snack outta you. I prefer to drink my blood from a glass not from the tap." His eyes locked on the road as the car soon left the city limits. 

" You need to trust me just like I need to trust you." as his voice devolped a low serious tone. " We are stuck with one another for a while so.." Reaching under his seat pulling out a small .22 caliber handgun placing it in her lap.  It's loaded 5 vampire rounds in it. Silver hollow points they will light a vampire up like our friends back in the alley just hit them and poof nothing but ash." 

Aj hoped that she would not turn the gun on him but it was something that he would have to chance.  She needed him just like he needed her if they wanted to get outta this mess alive.  

" Where going to a safe house it's almost dawn I gotta eat and get some sleep.  In my line of work I have a few of them all over the place. I don't stay put very long it's safer that way. "

They drove for almost 3 hours before pulling up to a large gated mansion in the middle of no where. Aj hit a button on the visor of his car as the metal gate slowly opened up.  The car pulled up the long driveway as Aj pulled the car behind the garage.  " Aj had mixed emotions as he walked up to the door. This safe house was the only one he hated to use it was his childhood home and the place where he and his wife was gonna spend the rest of there lives. Aj only been here for hours here and there just enough to stock it up for the worst case senerio and this seemed like it was just that.  

Alexis threw her cell phone out the window, her stomach knotting up as she did so. Everyone she knew was programmed into that thing. Without it, all her ties were cut from her, severed. She felt like she was erasing herself from existence and that hurt her deeply. Though she refused to show it.

AJ then handed Alexis a gun. One apparently filled with special bullets, a kind meant for slaying vampires. Those like AJ himself. She looked at it quizzically. She had no clue how to use one and the feel of it on her lap was odd, heavy. She wondered if she’d actually have to use the thing. She wondered how much trust it took for AJ to give her such a weapon. One that could kill him if she’d decided to use it against him.

Alexis felt an awful sense of hopeless dread as AJ told her the basics of what he planned to do – to bring her to a safe house and figure out a way to save them both. She wondered what such a plan would entail. Though she felt certain it would mean more violence and bloodshed. She shivered at the thought of it and began to wonder what her role in everything would be.

The remaining drive to the safe house was fairly quiet, though Alexis found herself quite happy with that. For now. She was still pretty shaken up about what had happened and what she had learned. Her world had been turned entirely upside down and she didn’t know what to make of it. She was sad that she was more or less forced to leave her life behind in order to save herself from death. And a brutal one at that, from what she could tell based on AJ’s actions.

After a long while of driving and silence, AJ pulled the car up to a large gated mansion. Alexis’s mouth dropped at the sight of it.

“This is the safe house?” Alexis whispered as AJ pulled the car up a long driveway after the gate opened up for them. The vampire’s expression seemed odd to her for some reason. She wondered what could be bothering him. She wanted to ask, but was too afraid to do so. He seemed cold and angry and bitter. So, she kept silent as they pulled the rest of the way up to the mansion.

When the car stopped, Alexis opened her door and got out. She held the gun awkwardly in her hands and just stared at the mansion before her. It was absolutely beautiful. She looked over at AJ and asked, “How do you know of such a place? It’s beautiful. It really is.” She meant her words too and not just because the place was large. It was because of the vibe she got from it. There was something warm and wonderful about it. She turned to look at AJ. “There’s something about it I can’t quite explain…” her voice trailed off and she fell silent just then for she felt like she’d crossed some sort of line in speaking her thoughts.

“This is the safe house?”
Aj turned and looked over his shoulder at her yeah it's safe here. As she asked question after question Aj grew silent not answering right away as they walked into the huge mansion. " These walls hold a lot of pain there a constant reminder of what my life was. This place is safer than any two bit shack that I have anywhere in the world." His voice filled with pain and sorrow as he went on it soon filled with anger and regret. " This was my home many years ago this was where I was born, and where I was gonna live my life with my wife."

Aj walked threw the kitchen starring at a old faded picture of him and his wife before he deployed to Europe in the war. His finger brushing over her face as a lone tear streamed down his face. Aj attempted to hide it from Alexis turning quickly as he showed her threw the old mansion. Everything you could possibly need is here I stock it regularly for emergency's and in hopes that one day I can bear to live here. His voice trailed off as the climbed the oak stair case his hand on the rails that was hand crafted over 140 years ago.

Reaching the landing at the top of the stairs Aj looked down the long hallway. He turned to Alexis any room is yours for the rest of the night but That one pointing to the last room on the right hand side. He walked by each room and stopped at the last room on the right. Holding his hand to the door he jerked back as the memories started to fly threw his head. Brushing it off he turned to Alexis, " That room is the only room I can not step into the only room I will not touch. My only request is you respect my wishes." Aj started back down the hall way get some rest I'll be in the basement. I'm gonna feed then rest for the day I'll return at sunset." Aj's voice trailed off as he waled down the stairs his boots hitting the wood steps filled the silent house that one rustled with the sounds of laughter and joy. A place that saw many good times in his life as a human but at the same time it holds a strangle hold over his mind of what happened to his wife in that room at the end of the hall way.

As AJ explained the origins of the mansion it suddenly all came clear to Alexis. Why his expression seemed so strange, almost reluctant, to have to come to such a place. It conjured up memories. Painful memories of things he lost the day he was turned. She wondered what happened to his wife that fateful day. Why hadn’t she been turned? She wanted to ask, but knew better and bit her tongue.

AJ showed Alexis around a bit and brought her to the hallway where the bedrooms were all located. He pointed to a specific room at the end of the hallway, commanding her not to enter it. She shrunk back in fear as his tone grew harsh.

“I’ll respect them,” Alexis whispered. “I promise.” She watched AJ turn on his heels and start descending the stairs. He didn’t look as though he trusted her. It was as if he felt he had no other alternative. And the thought of that bothered her greatly. She frowned at him, her blue eyes expressing the hurt she felt, as he gave her one final glance and disappeared from her sight.

Alexis looked at the gun in her hand and walked down the hallway a little. She opened the second door and entered the room. It seemed rather cozy to her, so she carefully placed her bag and her gun on the little table in the corner. She then removed her jacket and slung it over the chair. Exhausted and overwhelmed, she sat down on the bed. It was soft and comfortable.

Biting her lip, Alexis pulled the blankets down and slipped off her shoes. She snuggled deeply under the covers and laid her head down against the pillows. The room was nice. Perfect for someone like her. She stared at the ceiling wondering what AJ was doing. He said he needed to feed and that after that he’d rest while the sun was up. She shivered a little at the thought of him feeding on blood. Though she remembered him saying that he didn’t feed the way one would expect. She wondered what exactly he did if he didn’t do it that way.

Alexis touched her neck and rubbed the vein gently. She wondered what it would be like to be bitten by a vampire. Would it hurt? Again she shivered. Trying to clear her mind, she closed her eyes and tried to let her body fall asleep. Her final thoughts on AJ and that he’d stay safe while he fed and then rested.

As Aj rounded the the bottom of the staircase he came to a stop at the old picture on the wall.  Face to face with his long dead wife," I miss you my love. " Aj sat in his favorite chair leaning back as the chair fit him just like it did over 100 years ago. He closed his eyes he could smell her perfume like she was sitting next to him like they did many of nights. 

Aj rose from the chair heading to the kitchen. Grabbing a suitcase that he brought in from the car. Opening the case pulling out a bag of frozen blood.  Putting it in the microwave heating it up to a perfect 98.6 degrees.  Opening the bag up and pouring it into a glass. Aj took the glass and headed down to the basement the old wooden steps creeked as he slowly decended into the darkness. Heading over to a old cot that he set up. Aj took his gunbelt off and placed it on the floor. He wondered what he was gonna do to get him and Alexis out o this mess.  " Fuck I should have walked away.  When am I gonna learn to keep my nose outta shit that don't pertain to me. " Downing the glass of blood and sitting it on the floor Aj kicked his feet up on the cot. Quickly falling fast a sleep, like any other night flashbacks of his life haunted his dreams. Often of his wife sometimes of when he was changed into this beast he became.  Often he wished that someone or something would end his life. Aj missed his wife human contact something he distance himself from.  

Alexis slept deeply, but woke up screaming out, her skin glistening with sweat. For most of the night, she’d slept rather well, but her dreams were suddenly plagued by the incident she’d had with her vampire attacker. Shivering, she brushed her dark hair away from her face and rubbed at her cool, blue eyes.

Pushing the covers off her body, Alexis stretched and stood up. She walked over to the window and looked outside. The sun was up and by where it was in the sky, she could tell that it was nearing lunchtime. She wondered if she’d be allowed to go outside at all, or if doing such a thing would be considered dangerous. Deciding to err on the side of caution, she remained inside the mansion.

Not bothering to put her shoes back on and leaving her things as they were in her room, Alexis pushed open her door and walked down the hallway toward the staircase. Slowly she went down them and began to meander about the place. Her face lit up when she found the kitchen. Immediately, she headed toward the refrigerator and opened it up. In the freezer, she saw what looked like packs of blood.

“So that’s how he feed,” Alexis whispered to herself. She wondered why. Perhaps feeding from a human’s vein was considered an intimate thing to some. If that was the case, then given the way AJ had come across to her, it was no surprise that he chose to push intimacy aside. He seemed to detest humans, everything about him. Though she found it strange seeing as he was one at one time.

Thankfully, Alexis found some bread and a jar of peanut butter and another of jelly, all things that kept rather well within a fridge or freezer. Happily, she made herself a sandwich and ate it. She then filled a cup with water from the sink and sipped at it.

Feeling better after having eaten, Alexis began to wander about the mansion a bit more. She saw some pictures gracing the walls, pictures of a beautiful woman. “She must’ve been his wife,” she said aloud on a whisper, her eyes tearing a little at the thought of losing a spouse. She knew she’d be devastated if she’d lost someone like that. Tilting her head, she brushed at her eyes and continued wandering.

Coming upon another door, Alexis pushed it open. The stairs on the other side went down. ‘The basement?’ she thought to herself. Biting her lip, she slowly and quietly began to walk down them, trying her best to keep the creaks that sounded with each step to a minimum. She got about half way down the stairs when she noticed AJ sleeping on a cot. There was a glass coated with red next to him, along with his weapons. Gasping, she quickly turned around and headed back up the stairs. Once at the top, she shut the door and leaned against it. Her heart was racing, her breathing fast. The adrenaline coursing through her veins made her body shake. He’d looked like death lying there, though ominous even in his deep slumber. She wondered when he’d wake and what would happen when he finally did.

Aj woke up shortly after sunset letting his feet fall to the floor rubbing his eyes. Letting out a huge yawn grabbing his gun belt and his glass from the night before AJ started up the stairs. As he opened the door into the kitchen he washed out his glass then made his way over to the freezer. Almost forgetting about Alexis Aj yelled," Good Morning", to let her know that he was awake. Grabbing the blood from the microwave Aj slowly made his way into the living room. Sitting down in his favorite chair he leaned back and started to drink from his cup like a normal human would his morning coffee.

" I trust you found everything OK while I slept." He looked into Alexis's eyes seeing she had so many questions on her mind. He knew what it was like right after he turned. I was like knowing for years that everything you thought you knew was a lie and deep down a world existed that you would never know about.

" Go ahead ask your questions I know you have about a million of them running threw your head. It's easy to understand why, I know you want some answers I will try to give you as many as I can. Then I will take you to go get some real food and get you some clothes." Aj sat there patiently looking in to her eyes waiting for the flood gate to open.

Alexis looked at AJ and tilted her head. He couldn’t have been more correct. Her entire life had been turned upside down. One minute she worked in a florist shop, the next vampires existed and for some reason had something against her. It was like a nightmare come to life and it made her more than uneasy. She’d had no choice but to leave her life behind, her family, her friends. Everything. It was a steep price to pay just because she’d been at the wrong place at the wrong time. It seemed so very unfair.

Sitting down on a chair, Alexis crossed her legs and bit down on her lip. Her mind was reeling. So much had happened in a matter of a few hours. And processing such things, such outlandish things, was difficult. Trying to decide which questions to start with, she heaved a sigh and looked directly into AJ’s eyes without flinching. He still frightened her, but now that she was out of imminent danger and now that she felt fairly certain he wasn’t going to kill her, she decided that she didn’t want him to know that.

Letting out another breath, Alexis began to speak. “Firstly, who the hell was that who attacked me? I heard one of the others say he was an elder’s son. What does that mean?” Alexis narrowed her eyes a little. “Am I in danger? Are you?” She paused a moment, her fingers twirling her hair a little. “And why do I get the sense that there’s more going on than you just saving me from a vampire rapist?”

Alexis had no idea if AJ would truly answer her questions in full. She had so many and had only just begun where those were concerned. And if she had her way, she’d make him answer each and every one until she was fully satisfied. But something told her that AJ didn’t work that way. That vampires didn’t work that way. Now that she knew of their existence, what did that mean for her? Did it mean she could never go back to her regular life? Did it mean she’d have to be killed or turned? Yet more questions she needed to know the answers to. She hoped that AJ had a lot of patience. Though recalling his earlier actions against the vampires involved in the attack on her, she somehow didn’t think he did.

Aj looked over at Alexis tilting his head to the side. " The Vampires have a governing body made up of Elders. They make all decisions regarding everything in the vampire world. They also take care of those who oppose there agenda." Aj looked at Alexis then back to his sidearm. " Thats what I do for them...Or use too." Taking a deep breath as he wondered what the next move for them was. Sitting back in his chair as he looked at Alexis, " I hate the thoughts of how your life is turned upside down. But it could have been slot worse. " Aj was genuine about this having gone threw almost the same situation a hundred years earlier. 

Slowly getting up Aj went to the kitchen bringing back another bag of blood and a drink for Alexis. He stood in the door way as he looked at her. Not saying a word as he looked into her eyes almost wondering if he should have walked away not getting envolved with this mess.  Aj sat down in his chair as he looked out the window next to his chair. " I think if anybody can help you is the resistance, there a group that is mixed with vampires and humans who want to make our exhistance public, Not fans of mine I have killed many of there leaders in the past 50 years. They have a huge bounty on my head." Aj laughed but deep inside he knew that they was the only ones who could help her. He lowered his head knowing if he took her to them he would in fact be killed. But this was the only choice.   

Back
Top Bottom