Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How Can I Help You? (Candira/Vengir)

Cora frowned as Rayne clung to her. Whatever had set him off had triggered some pretty intense feelings. It wouldn't be right to leave him alone just now. At least he wasn't crying now. She unlocked the doors to her car as they came within a few feet and let him get in first before sliding into her seat and locking the doors. "Don't apologize, Rayne. You've got nothing to be sorry for. Granted, I was worried, but you're going to be okay." She put a hand on his shoulder and offered him a reassuring smile.

"Tell me what's wrong, okay? What happened to make you snap like that?"

Rayne climbed into the passenger side of the car, and when she put her hand on his shoulder, he tensed up, but quickly relaxed at the feel. "I got picked alot in high school..I was a geek...but..when i went to my senior prom...one of the popular girls said she'd dance with me..and she did..." he paused for a moment, and sniffled. "When they called out Prom King...they called out my name..I thought maybe they really liked me...no.." his hands reached down, and clung to his belt. "When i walked up stage...the announcer pulled down my pants...and kicked me off stage..." tears began to roll down his cheeks again. "Everyone laughed...everyone taunted me...'how could you think you'd win!' ...I couldn't go back to school...I had to have my father pick up my high school diploma..." his legs shifted and tried to curl up, but to no avail in her car.

Shocked that he would have had to endure such a thing, she leaned over the center counsel and put her arms around him. "Oh, Rayne...I'm so sorry. I didn't realize it was such a painful experience for you." She held him to her and just stayed close, hoping that her presence was a comforting one. "Teenagers are horrible to each other. I'm sure that not everyone was in on it though. I'm sure there were some people who really hated the idea of you being in pain like that. I certainly do. But it's over now, Rayne. You don't have to worry about that anymore."

her presence did comfort him. the tears slowly stopped, and his heart began to return to a normal pace. "I never did anything...I did my homework, I never tried to start anything...most of the time i just tried to be nice to everyone.." as her arms stayed around him, he leaned towards her, wanting her warmth. "I should have told you before, I'm sorry for ruining the dance.." his heart was just above normal pace, a sign he was almost recovered from it.

She chuckled and ran her fingers through his hair, attempting to soothe him. "Well, yeah, you should have told me if you were nervous about dancing, but it's not that big of a deal, Rayne. I promise, I'm not upset about the dance or anything like that. I was just worried about you. Are you okay now? Do you want to stay here a little longer?"

He gave a slight nod at her first question, but at the second he gave a reply. "It'd be real weird to go back after running out..would you like to go somewhere else maybe? grab a bite to eat?" he looked at her eyes for a moment, his eye still teary from his moment, but the fear had left him. he was calm again.

"Well, that's okay. We don't have to go back in. Sure. Let's go somewhere for a snack. Wanna get some ice cream? That'd hit the spot for me. How 'bout it?"

Rayne smiled and nodded, slowly sitting up in his seat. "I would love some ice cream." he glanced back at the bar, and realised. "Oh, but, do you want to drive in one car or two?" he remembered they both drove in their own cars.

Rayne couldn't help blushing lightly as he thought for a moment to himself and smiled as he said, "Aside from..you know..i.i liked dancing with you.."

She smiled as he told her he liked dancing with her. "Well maybe next time we dance, we'll do it someplace more private, right?" With that Cora rubbed his shoulder and settled into the driver's seat. "I think I'll drive us there and drop you at your car, if that's okay? That way we'll save some gas. There's a place further down the strip from here if you're interested," she offered, hoping that he was feeling better now.

Rayne smiled as she offered a second dance, and nodded. "That would be great." when she suggested car pooling, he smiled again and relaxed in the passenger seat. "Sounds like a plan."

As the two arrived at the ice cream parlor, he stepped out and walked with her inside. however, compared to the bar, Rayne was walking a bit closer to Cora then last time. she may be a boss of his, but he felt he could trust her. if he needed someone, he could trust her to be there, and that made him want to get closer.

Cora grinned and then started up her car. She parked a little away from the shop because the spaces were full, but she didn't mind walking around with Rayne. He was cute, and the fresh air was probably doing him some good. At the very least, he seemed to be more relaxed around her. That was a victory in itself.

"So, what's your favorite kind of ice cream?" she asked, walking the two blocks with him.

Rayne had shown concern as they pulled into a parking area two blocks away, but shrugged it as she walked with him. "Vanila will always be my favorite. it leaves you to decide how to enjoy it. on a pie, in a cone, with sprinkles. sure you could do that with all flavors, but do you?" he smiled as he walked with her, feeling himself again after such an ordeal. it felt nice to be himself again, and not his past.

She smiled at his analysis. Only he would pose the question of how people enjoy their ice cream. "On a pie or cake? No. In a cone or with various toppings? Yes. My favorite is strawberry, but I can be swayed by chocolate marshmallow." It was nice to have such a light conversation with him again--especially after such a heavily depressing one. He seemed more cheerful now, and that was always nice.

Cora hadn't been out with friends in awhile--let alone one friend who happened to be of the male persuasion. It was easy to forget that people assumed a different relationship when two people were standing together. She stopped at the crosswalk and waited for the light, noticing that other people seemed to be glancing at them a lot. Shrugging it off, she kept on with Rayne until they got to the ice cream place.

While others glanced and gossiped among friends, Rayne seemed to act as if they didn't exist. or at least he wasn't paying them any attention. opening the door for her, he smiled as he walked in, looking over the options before settling on an ice cream sunday. when it came to paying for their ice cream, Rayne made sure he paid for both.

As they sat down to eat, Rayne snatched a napkin and unfolded it onto his lap. "I figured, you helped me with such a big problem of mine, the least i can do is pay for your ice cream." he stated before he took the first spoonful.

Surprised that he'd paid for her ice cream cone, Cora watched him curiously. She smiled as he told her the reason and she sat with him, licking at the scoops of strawberry deliciousness. "Well, thank you. You can count on me any time you need it," she said. Sitting with him, she thought it was a nice change to be out with someone again instead of doing this at home. "Especially if this ice cream comes with." She smiled and licked the cone again. Meanwhile, people at nearby tables murmured to each other about the strange, yet attractive couple who'd just come in.

This time, Rayne couldn't ignore the whispers he heard around the store. his smile began to fade lightly as he kept hearing everyone make comments about the two of them. his mind was growing more then alittle annoyed about it. "I will always pay for anything you might want if i have..an issue..again." he paused as his eyes shifted slightly, his ears picking up on more chatter. he gave a soft sigh and rubbed his temple gently, trying to ignore the sounds of gossip. "Unfortunately, i do hope i don't feel obligated to buy you something again. the less...issues..i have, the better." he kept pausing to hear more gossip, and groaned softly, turning his gaze to Cora and almost trying to glue his eyes to her face. if he focused on her, maybe he could get them out of his ears.

Even she was beginning to hear it now, and considering his earlier issues, she was having a hard time believing that he wasn't at least bothered by it. "Hey, wanna walk while we eat these? The cup is disposable," she offered, hoping that if they were on the streets things would be less awkward. "And don't worry. I won't make it a habit of exposing you to more..issues." She smiled and kept on with her ice cream, waiting to see what he wanted.

Rayne couldn't resist nodding. he needed away from the people, away from the gossip. slowly he got up and headed for the door, making sure he stayed near Cora the entire time. If he could take comfort in one thing, it was her observational skills. "thanks.." he said as they headed down the road. It almost got to him that he couldn't even enjoy an ice cream without hearing people's gossip. Maybe this is why he never felt like going out and socializing.

Just as they left, Cora overheard an older woman say, "My, don't they make such a beautiful couple?" to her husband. The redhead blushed a little and licked her cone again. She smiled at Rayne as they made it back to the sidewalk. "Well, that was a nice thing to say," she said with a chuckle. "Anyway, I kinda like it out here better. It's a nice night," she said with a smile.

Rayne couldn't help smiling at the words of the older woman. in fact he even seemed to be trying to hide it. he gave a soft sigh as he heard her chuckle. "it is nice..to hear someone say something nice." he shook his head, snapping out of his gloomy state. "You are really beautiful tonight.." he commented before looking up at the stars. "The fresh air is always a plus with ice cream. makes it all feel more..natural."

She smiled at him as he seemed to snap back into cheerful mode. It was just icing on the cake that he called her beautiful again. "Thanks," she said softly. She walked along with him looking up at the stars now and then, moving slowly to enjoy his company and her ice cream. "I agree. I like eating outside in general, but ice cream is the best." She sighed happily and walked with him until they got to her car, her ice cream gone by then. "Well, thanks for coming out with me. Ready to head back?"

Rayne's sundae was gone by the time they had reached the car, and he had tossed the cup away. slipping into her car, he nodded and smiled. "This was a rather fun evening. A great chance to see how others socialize..." his words trailed into another statement. "...I had alot of fun.." he glanced away, feeling himself almost seem inhuman with how he spoke. he was never the type of guy who went out and partied. in fact, he had hardly any friends during school, and now due to college and work, his only friends were co-workers.

"I had fun too. We'll have to do this again some time. Feel free to call me when you want to get out." She smiled at him and then walked around to her side of the car. "Shall I take you back?"

Rayne nodded and smiled as he got back into the car. it felt great to spend some time with a friend, and it was better then spending his free time rewatching old shows. "I do look forward to your next phone call." he stated, smiling kindly at her as she drove off.

Cora drove them back safely, dropping Rayne at his car. "Who knows? Maybe next time you can call me." With a wink and a wave, she left him there and drove home.

Back
Top Bottom