Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Random Words and Phrases

quet314

Star
The most random of questions; soda, pop, soda-pop, cola, or coke?

I move a lot, and everywhere has a subtle accent or things that say different... words or phrases that if you're not from there are a little confusing. One of those things is what you call that carbonated beverage everyone loves. Around here, in small town Ohio, it's called pop. "You wanna can of pop?" Back in Missouri all soda is called Coke. Back in sunny California? Soda.

So what do you call it? What are some odd phrases from your neck of the woods?

Fun small town phrases:

Soup's on! (dinner is ready)
And I said, well I said (equivalent to 'and then like' but if you don't say it twice it doesn't count)
It got bones in it? (when someone starts coughing... I still don't get it)
By Gawd (we're not that far south.... but you don't say it with a drawl it doesn't count)
Pulling your leg (I've heard this some other places, it means your joking or teasing someone)
Hot dog with sauce (sauce=chili)
Campaign taste on a beer budget (heard this a few places, expensive tastes and no money)
Lightening bugs vs Fireflies

In England:
In the que (in line)
Pants (underwear, if some one says they like your pants and you say thanks these are my favorite ones thinking they mean your jeans, you'll get a right funny look)
Rubbish bin (trash can)
Brolli (umbrella, idk about the spelling but that's how it sounds)
How they pronounce garage always got me, can't begin to explain it
Water closet (bathroom, the first time someone asked where our water closet was I told them we didn't have one, lol. The look I got was priceless)
Spot of tea (they say this about anything you can drink or eat, but really a spot? Who decided that a cup was equivalent to a spot?)
Vest, this is more of an elderly thing, but my neighbor wore a 'vest' beneath all her clothes. I never did figure out if it was like a tank top/slip or a bra... since I never undressed her I still don't know.
Biscuit is a cookie, like penguins are a popular chocolate covered cookie and they call it a biscuit. I'll never forget someone asking my little brother if he wanted a Penguin, his face... omg and he was so disappointed when he got handed a sweet.

Fun phrases from Cali:
Ovi (obviously, I actually catch myself saying this.)
degaf (don't spell it, pronounce it as a word. People seriously say it. It means 'I don't give a fuck')
Tots (not even kidding people. Totally)
Hella (the jokes are only funny till you realize they actually say it)
Lol (again just pronounce it)
So Cal, Nor Cal, and the Valley (Southern California, Northern California, and the middle of California)
To make things short, text lingo. If you can say it like a word; they say it. Still kills me.

Is that what you're wearing...? (oh, maybe that's only what they say to me. lol.)

More phrases, these are just... they're pretty awful:

'bout as straight as a dog's hind leg (crooked.... my great aunt...)
That's 'bout as cute a tit on a boar hog (really ugly, my great aunt again... I can't even believe it...)

A phrase me and my friends made up: I want to punch you in the baby.

Meaning: I want to punch you so hard that the impact actually goes through time to when you were an infant, giving you instantaneous childhood trauma(that you didn't have before my fist connected with your face).

My grandma told me this one time. She had dentures and I first noticed them when I caught her taking them out one day.

"You should only brush the one's you wanna keep."

This is a phase my friends made up back in the day when we would get in trouble
"Look on the bright side, it could always be worst..." Wait for the 'how could it any any worst' "I can kick you so hard between the legs to split you in two."

Back
Top Bottom