Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Roleplay Critique Section?

Would you use this section?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, this is made of balls.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Ilovegoatse

Supernova
Yo dudes, in PVP the idea of a roleplaying critique section came up. I was wondering if the rest of BM might be interested in such an idea. If you like this concept and want to make some suggestions, go for it.

Now basically this would be a place to request critiques on your own roleplaying and writing ability (not stories, as we have a section for that.) There would be a one thread per user policy, as people might just spam with four different topics in a row. If you think there would be a better way to handle the clutter, shoot.

Another rule would be no straight up flaming or posting someone else's RP to laugh at them. That's what PVP is for, and I don't intend this to be another PVP stomping ground. Being harsh is fine, constructive criticism is awesome. After all, if you post your RPs you better be ready to hear something other than "YOU'RE SO AWESOME!1!1" Any topics that would go to flaming would be instantly moved to PVP, so good luck with that.

I don't like the idea of having set teachers or students, as we can all use a good healthy dose of critiquing from time to time. If someone really likes an rper and wants to learn from them though, go for it.

This idea's really basic, so I'd like to hear what you guys have in mind. I was thinking of having a roleplaying guide in there, just filled with basic writing tips. Or having a second thread dedicated to writing guides and inspiration tools.

So, what do you guys think?

I really do like the idea... But how about a middle ground between a free for all and one on one tutoring? The person looking for advice could write in the title "Tutor" or "Group critique" so specify which they would prefer to receive. ^^

I think a person should be able to pick their own tutor, but there shouldn't be a set group of them or even a category. Like I said in the previous thread, if they see someone in their thread they really like they can ask them for tutoring.

Yeah, that might be for the best, they would be able to tell by the existing threads who was a good tutor and who is not.

I think this would be a good idea- especially for those roleplayers who have english as their second language and want to improve upon it. And of course, people in general who want to improve their writing ability. We did something like this in my creative writing class and it helped me improve and give me good advice and criticism.​

I'm game for an inspirational corner where RPers who are stuck can seek advice from other RPers? A character development section seems very handy as well.

Either way...this is an extremely good idea, Goaty.

This has a lot of potential so long as the critiquing, IF IT IS ASKED FOR, is constructive and NOT destructive. All too often in the past I've seen people give what they thought was constructive criticism, but in my opinion was really a flame. So, if advice or critique is sought out, yes, you point out what you see as potential weaknesses, but such statements NEED to be balanced with positives. I think a lot of the time when critiquing, people forget that. Forgetting to do that can ridiculously discourage a writer and sometimes a writer who very well might have a lot of potential. Sure, there are some who are hopeless, but even the hopeless ones need to hear something positive.

All in all, I think more people might be interested in such things if they could be reassured that they won't receive flames or overly callous comments like.... Your writing sucks, die. I've seen it and I don't think it's the best approach to helping people improve.

Just my thoughts. Good idea, Goatse!

@Hahvoc: Exactly. <3

@Lace: I wasn't the only one who thought it up. c: But thank you~

@DA: I agree 100%, there'll be a harsh policy on just straight up flaming rpers. I don't want people to go in flaming and use 'WELL I WAS USING CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM' as an excuse. There'll probably be a one warning policy and then banning them from that section if they continue to attack people.

Ilovegoatse said:
@Hahvoc: Exactly. <3

@Lace: I wasn't the only one who thought it up. c: But thank you~

@DA: I agree 100%, there'll be a harsh policy on just straight up flaming rpers. I don't want people to go in flaming and use 'WELL I WAS USING CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM' as an excuse. There'll probably be a one warning policy and then banning them from that section if they continue to attack people.
Yeah, that's a great idea to implement in this case. It'll make people see and understand that this isn't a joke and not a place to just be an all out ass. Because it does happen, sadly. Obviously, if people are seeking critique it's because they want to improve. And, to me, that's an awesome thing to strive for, not to mention it shows humility. A trait I personally admire. And, though I think most of us know this, EVERYONE can stand to improve. Even those who are considered 'good' be it by themselves or others. :)

Nice add on! <3

Back
Top Bottom