Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mismatched Partners (suicidal butterfly and Josu_T)

Josu_T

Supernova
Alex Wylde walked into the dance studio and tossed his bag aside. He quickly stripped down to his practice clothes and started to stretch. As he did he waited for his coach, choreographer, and new dance partner. Since Amanda had gotten married she had been losing interest in dancing competetively. Now she was pregnant and really couldn't dance any more, at least for a year as she went through her pregnancy and took care of her new baby. He figured it was the end of them as partners and their victories at the competitions. Now he would have to dance with someone new and it would take time for them to get good enough together to be able to do well enough to get any sort of awards.

Alex had been dancing most of his life. He had been winning almost as long. He could do classic ballroom, but he felt more comfortable with the latin dances and swing dancing. He and Amanda had been dacing together for the better part of seven years. They had won over a dozen major competitons and placed well in almost everything else they had done together. She had married one of his friends and he was happy for them, but was disappointed that it meant she was finished with dancing. Now he was in his mid twenties and needed a new partner.

Alex was 6' tall and a little broader than most male dancers. He was quite strong and because of it could do some moves that most would never attempt. It took great coordination with his partner to pull them off though. He had lightly tanned skin, blue eyes, and short brown hair. He finished stretching and sat, relaxing and still waiting to see who his coach had found for him as a partner.

Cat walked down the hall of the studio, her heals clicking as they hit the floor. She looked straight ahead and started to wonder who her new partner would be. Her last one had been a disappointment to her. He was a great partner, the best she's ever had. Only, he had one flaw that topped the rest. After their first championship win together, he thought that he would try his luck at trying to sleep with her. That didn't go over to well and she didn't appreciate his advances whatsoever. She may have not been dancing Latin for very long, close to three years now, but thanks to her gymnastic past she was able to get out of his grasp and ruin his career by labeling him a sexual predator.

Going back to her thoughts, she smirked. Many people in this industry thought that she would never make it. Little did they know she was a natural, she picked things up in a snap and as stated before her past had kept her fit and her body toned, and very flexible. She was also know as a bit of a wild card. Due to her inexperience as a dancer. Almost irritating everyone of her past partners since she liked to do her own thing at times. She reached the door and opened it, seeing two people in the room. She knew one was the choreographer and was assuming the other was her partner. She didn't take a good look at him, as she walked over to the benches and put her bag down.

Cat then started to unbutton her coat, slowly revealing her small body. Since she had been in gymnastics ever since she could walk her body had somehow stopped trying to reach its full potential. So her breasts where on the smaller side of a C cup but perky and firm. Her waist was petite and would make an hourglass envious. And her bottom was round in shape but fit her so well, that on any other woman it would have looked akward. Cat put her coat beside her bag and leaned over to fetch a hair elastic. She stood back up and put her long black hair in a messy bun, a few stands escaping. Her skin was light and her hair made it look like it was porcilne since her hair was such a dark black. And her eyes where also a dark color, but unless you got close to her you would never know that they where actually blue. And with her heals she reached 5''6.

Cat then turned around and took a better look at her partner, he had obiously just finished stretching and took the small hint that she was a bit late and started to stretch herself. She was in the middle of her stretching when another person had walked through the door. She looked up and didnt recognize him either. She watched as he walked over to her new partner. She resumed her stretching, waiting till the choreographer said it was time to start.

Alex felt frustrated as his partner seemed to ignore him when she entered. He was surprised By her appearance. She didn't look like what he had expected. He also didn't recognise her. He'd hoped for someone he knew. She seemed like an unknown girl who had walked into the wrong studio. Just looking at how she held herself made him worry about what she would be like as a partner. He had been able to really get along with Amanda. They had been able to work so well together. He sighed and leaned back against the wall. When his coach arrived Alex smiled.

The two men spoke softly and Alex learned who she was. He was surprised and he looked at her closely. He had heard about her. She was good, but almost had too much natural talent. She seemed to be a bit full of herself, at least that was what the rumors said. It was well known that she liked to do her own thing on occasion, which could throw off a routine. Alex started to plead with Matt, his coach, for a different partner. Matt simply explained that there was no other high level dancer that was without a partner. Alex was stuck with her. He didn't have much time to think about it as Samantha, the choreographer, called them to get started.

Alex walked slowly to the center of the room and waited for Cat to join him. His expression was one of annoyance and disappointment. He didn't wait for her to get there before explaining the situation. "So it seems you're the only one available and I'm not willing to split up any pairs just to get someone better. I'm used to winning. I know you've had some minor success already, but that doesn't mean you are ready for the real deal. If we work together and you practice hard we may just be able to place in a competition. Just make sure you listen and pay attention so you can learn. I do some things that most others don't, but it works. Both Matt and Samantha know that. Oh, and don't worry about me being a perv like your last partner. I don't think you're that hot, so you've got nothing to worry about." He glanced over at Samantha and Matt who were discussing music. He was a little glad they didn't hear him. He didn't want them trying to make him be nice.

Cat finished stretching and watched her partner walk to the center after talking with the other man. She didn't know but he seemed alright. Till he started to open his mouth. She just listened and smirked at him. She put a hand on her hip and popped it.

"Mhm." was all she said as she looked at him, studying him more like. "I'm sure you've never met anyone like me. And I'll say this once, I can do close to anything that you can do if not better. I may have just joined this world but from where I'm from it would make little dancers like you cry. And I may not look like it, considering I'm small but I'm a lot tougher than a lot of these dancers also." Cat then Turned around her back to him and glanced at the choreographer.

He seemed very competitive, she liked that but only because so so was she. And her 'minor' success was only in the dancing World. In her gymnastics world she had won so many times over, she didn't know what to do with some of her trophies. She shook her head to get her mind off that world, she left it behind and didn't. Red to think of it now.

Samantha had the music ready and was looking at the both of them. Cat smiled a fake warm smile, to be honest he was already annoying her and she just wanted it to be done with. The choreographer introduced herself, and went through the normal steps of explaining what's going to happen. Cat just crossed her arms and waited till she started to show the moves.

Alex rolled his eyes as she gave him attitude. She definitely thought of herself highly. If she felt she could do all he could she would learn she was mistaken. Being tough had nothing to do with it. What was important was skill. He didn't care where she had come from. All that mattered was what she was capable of doing in the world of dance. He looked at Samantha as she started to explain things to them. He recognised the dance right away and smiled. It was an updated version of an old performance. It was something good for practice and good for minor competitions. There were a number of changes, but they were easy for him to figure out. Even as Samantha started to show them he knew what to do.

He watched and waited as a section of the dance was fully explained by the choreographer. Then came the time to practice it. He took his position and stared at Cat. He waited for her to take her position and then for the music to start. The sound filled the room as Matt pressed a button. Alex started to move, following the steps as they had been explained by Samantha. He payed close attention to what Cat was doing, looking for any mistakes. He was determined to make her realise that it wasn't as easy as she seemed to think it would be. Not at his level.

Cat watched Samantha, her mind working non-stop as it started to memorize the moves. She smiled as she knew she could do it with very little problems. Then again the only time she ever improvised was when she mistook a move, or had found it too hard to do. Next time it wouldn't happen, she was like and a.i that way, or a super computer. She would learn from her mistakes and it would never happen again, unless something surprised her and caught her off guard.

She stood next to Alex and bowed her head taking the right position, when the music started and he moved she went back into her memory bank and remembered the steps. Like a paint by numbers, she had it. That is till she didn't spin away from alex far enough. Quickly her mind went wild, thinking of what to do. In a split second she turned her back to him doing the same steps till they were where they where supposed to be. She sighed inside, and took a mental note. That would never happen again.

When the music stopped she was chest to chest with Alex. She looked up and him with an eyebrow raised, as if to say how's that? Cat then let go and spaced herself from him. She didn't want to be so close to him, even if he said he wasn't a perv. She didnt trust him, and he had yet to gain her trust.

They were going through the segment quite well until the mistake came. Alex frowned and just continued to go through the steps. Luckily she was able to get back into it. That impressed him a little. At least she wasn't a complete amateur. They continued until the music stopped. Alex held her close the way the dance called for. Their eyes met and he shook his head slightly. He released her and she stepped away. He turned to look at Samantha who seemed impressed that they had done so well on their first attempt. She started right away on the next part of the dance. It involved one of the difficult lifts that Alex was known for. They would need to be coordinated and she would need to trust him.

Matt stepped in before Samantha was finished and decided it would be best to practice the lift on its own first. Alex shrugged and nodded. It made sense. He knew what to do with Amanda, but Cat wasn't the same weight and didn't have the same center of gravity. He'd need to learn exactly where his hands would need to go to safely lift her. But more importantly Cat would need to learn her part of it. The detailed explaination came and Alex was ready to try it. He looked at Cat and wondered if she was ready. If she couldn't handle his lifts then he would really need to find a new partner. He was actually hoping that she couldn't do it or wouldn't do it. Matt wouldn't be happy, but Alex would.

Cat smiled knowing that she had done well. She didn't look at Alex, for she didn't know what his face was saying. She wanted to know that he was impressed with her but by the way he had talked to her earlier she assumed that he thought that she was just lucky. Cat once again memorized the movements that Samantha had shown them. This time though would be a lift, she loved lifts. They made her seem as if she could fly, that is if they where high enough.

She was light and she knew where her enter of gravity was exactly. A perk of being in gymnastics. She thought to tell him but she once again assumed that he would shrug her off and ignore her advice. She she just listened to the explanation, Cat played it over in her mind and she was satisfied with her minds results. Maybe he would drop her, and she would get a new partner due to his carelessness. But even if he did drop her as long as he wasn't gripping on to her she would most likely come out without getting hurt, since she and grown to know which way to fall and roll when an unexpected drop came.

Cat walked over to Alex again "don't drop me, Mr. Professional" she said sarcastically as she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, she exhaled and opened them. Starting the lift, the rest was up to him. To put his hands on that certain sweet spot, lift her and then as she liked to call it, dismount. Not the correct term, but she like saying it all the same.

At Matt's instruction they did the first attempt of the lift slowly. Alex sighed at Cat's comment. He looked at her carefully for a moment and tried to make his best guess at where the perfect spot to lift her would be. When she moved in he put his hands on her and his body moved lifting her high. As he got her up above his head he felt like his hands were just a little off from where they should be. It meant balance for perfect lines was tough, but not impossible. He was strong enough that there was no way she would be dropped. After holding her up for a few seconds as he moved he started to lower her smoothly to the ground. He got her to her feet without any issues. After doing it once and being so close to getting his hands on the perfect spot he knew he'd be able to do it well in the future.

Matt had them practice it a few more times. Each time got better. Alex was a little surprised that she was adapting so well to the different lifts that not many were even able to do. Finally Samantha decided it was time to do it as part of the dance. The music started and the two started to dance. With the lift as part of the dance timing would be really important. Cat would need to move into the lift at the right moment and Alex would need to make sure he lowered her perfectly so they could continue the dance. As they moved out of some steps the time came and he shifted into his position to lift her, ready with hands in position.

Cat felt his hands on her waist, he was good at lifts. He was strong and knew what to do. Thankfully from training she shifted so her center gravity was in balance, by moving a tiny bit. Cat looked Down at him her breath almost caught. He had held her a little bit lower from her spot. She didn't think anything of it. But as she started to think, the more nervous she began to feel. Her spot was right below her chest, right below where a bra would have been if she was wearing one.

When he started to lower her she closed her eyes and she felt her heart skip. He was lowering her to slow for her own taste. She thought that the slow lowering was making her heart skipped. She touched the ground and looked at him with a smirk. "That was good, very good for lifting me the first time." 

The more she and Alex practiced the better they got. And it was almost perfect. Then the real test begin, the music started and they both moved in-sync incredibly.  The time where the lift approached and she did the spin before, and almost glided to Alex for the lift. she felt his hands touch her, and she inhaled. Prepping herself, as he lifted her up. Pausing for a moment, she looked down and smiled.  Perfect, she thought. 

When the lift was over and she was down, they continued the dance. Till Samantha stopped the music. Cat had her back pressed to Alex, his arms around her waiting to spin her out. Cat looked at Samantha, 'why did she stop the music?' she thought. ' we hadnt finished the dance'

Alex was also confused when Samantha stopped the music. She had done it because both she and Matt had noticed something. Alex let go of Cat and stepped away from her. Samantha and Matt spoke softly for a moment and then Samantha walked over to the two dancers. "You two are doing fairly well, but we've noticed that there is a slight issue with the lift. Alex, you need to hold her higher up on her body. You're a little low and Cat you're adjusting to make up for it. But because of that you don't look as natural or relaxed up there. It is also why he hasn't changed his grip enough. Because he thought he had it."

She pulled them closer together and then took Alex's hand. She put it exactly where it should be on her, just under her chest. Alex nodded, trying not to notice the proximity to her chest. It had never been an issue before and he needed to make sure it wasn't an issue with Cat either. He didn't want her thinking of him as a perv though. He wasn't and he would not be ruined by her like her last partner. He held his hand there and got used to the new position. Samantha smiled. "Now try it again and do it perfectly, because we know you can. Alex, lift her right, and Cat, let him do it right, don't try to fix it for him." She stepped back and signaled for them to start the section over again. Then she signaled Matt to start the music again. She watched the two carefully. They made a good pair whether they realised it or not. Samantha thought she would be an even better partner for Alex than Amanda had been.

Cat nodded at what Samantha said, she knew too well what the woman had said. She bit her bottom lip softly in the thought that she should have said something sooner. "I'm sorry, I'm used to shifting my position in case I fall. I have never danced with Alex and was unsure of how he lifted." making the remark aimed at Alex, But only so he would notice. 

Cat didn't think anything of the new position. She knew that was her spot and thought nothing of it. Cat looked up to Alex . "don't worry, this isn't being perverted. This is just work. And I'm sure that you won't get drunk and force yourself on me."she said with a fake smile.  Cat then preformed a practice lift with Alex. Then as he and her had got it she said something so only he could hear "I'm also sorry for making up for your fault." making it seem as if he was also an amateur, but before he could say anything the music started once again. They went over the same movements and the lift this time was perfect. Nothing was wrong and she had actually somewhat enjoyed the last bit. 

"How was that?" she said as she looked to the other two. Knowing full well that if she had done something wrong. Not bothering to look at Alex. He would have a look on his face was one she didn't care to look at. "also would we have to go through the routine again, or is there a few more sections? Meaning more than two."  

Alex wasn't sure why Cat spoke the way she did about why she had shifted during the lifts. It was good to know that she was used to lifts, or at least being up high and in positions where she might fall. She surprised him more when she seemed to read his mind. He frowned at her final comment after they had practiced the lift perfectly. It annoyed him. No dancer out there could get the perfect spot on a lift the first time every time they had a new partner. He didn't have a chance to respond as the music started and they began to dance.

As they went through the moves he focused on what he was doing and tried not to think about how much she annoyed him. He couldn't find anything wrong with what Cat had done, but he still wasn't happy with her. There was a final section to learn and Samantha started it right away. Soon enough they were practicing it. It was the easiest section except for the last fifteen seconds. After they knew what they were doing it was time to try the whole thing together. Matt turned on the music from the start of the song and Alex started to dance with Cat. He was pleased with the choreography because the movements felt very natural with the music and it made it very easy to move from step to step. It also made it easy to remember what to do next. It was a song that he would probably enjoy dancing if he wasn't with a partner who annoyed and frustrated him

The young dancer followed how Samantha showed the last part of the dance. Looked simple enough. Cat smiled as she knew she would have no problem with it. She practiced with Alex and preformed almost as well as he. She didn't put any feeling in to it as she was just memorizing what to do. When they had completed the last part she went over it in her head. Correcting what she had done and then thought of what she should do. 

As the time came to piece together the dance Cat smiled and started as her partner had. This time adding a bit more feeling to it. Slightly grinding into him when she was close, and giving a dreamy look when he bent her backwards. Making the dance come more to life. As if it was saying that they where lost lovers finally reunited. 

Then she felt it again. A sharp pain in her left wrist. She bit her lip at the pain. Not trying to show anything to anyone. Cat continued the dance and when it was done she looked at Alex. "that was great." she said in a sultry, playful voice. Trying to distract her mind from her wrist. Something that had happened four years ago and would leave her with a scar on mind forever.  Cat then walked away from Alex right to her bag. Dismissing him, wanting to go as soon as possible. She needed to ice her wrist. She shouldn't have tried to do gymnastics earlier in the morning, it just made her wrist worse. She just wished that it had never happened in the first place, but thanks to the carelessness of someone it had. 

Cat seemed to put more emotion into the dance. Alex wasn't focused on making it look like he was performing it. He was simply trying to make sure they did it perfectly. He'd put the emotion into it when it got closer to time to perform it. Partway through the dance he felt a slight pause from her, but they kept going. It had lasted just a fraction of a second, but he knew something wierd had happened. She stunned him with a compliment as she walked away. He stared at her in disbelief. He didn't even bother saying anything in response. She left and Alex sighed. He gathered his things and spoke to Matt on his way out. "She's talented, but I'd rather have another partner if you can find someone good who is available. Don't go on a massive search, but please keep your eyes and ears open. I think it will be really hard getting along with her."

He'd said all he needed to say and he walked away. He went home right away and showered. He called Amanda and started to talk to her about his new partner. She reminded him of what they had been like when they started dancing together. They had struggled to find a way to dance well together. It had taken months to make it through hard routines without flaws. They may have become friends easily, but the difficulties on the dance floor made it tough. If he had a partner who could learn new choreography that easily then he should be happy with her. Friendship would come with time. Alex smiled and thanked her. He was happy that Cat was talented. He just couldn't see friendship developing any time soon with her. He called Matt and Samantha and apoligised to both of them for how he had acted. He told Matt not to worry about finding a different partner. He'd stick with Cat and at least give her a chance.

Cat walked home and it wasn't very pleasant. Her wrist was throbbing in pain and it seemed like nothing could get rid of it.  She had put a tenser-bandage on her wrist wrapping it tight so it wouldn't move much.  When she got in the door she immediately called Bella. Her friend since she was little, she also did gymnastics. Only she still did it.  

"Its hurting again." was all Cat said as her friend picked up the phone. Bella had concern in her voice and asked if she tried to do gymnastics again. Then gave her trouble for trying. Cat knew she couldn't do it anymore, but ever since she was little she would breathe and live gymnastics. It was her life till, she had shattered her wrist.

-------------------

It was four years ago when it happened. She was at the top of her game, no one could touch her. So from that her ego grew. She became self-centered, and started to not care for anything around her but her competition and beating them. Everyone on her team put up with her only because of her talent as a gymnast. She would lead them to a win nearly every time.  

Cat was trying out for the Olympic team, and it was very promising. She was nervous and almost scared at the same time. This was her dream and it was slowly becoming true.  She was trying a new move she had just thought of, very complicated and very tough. Cat started on the vault and everything seemed to be going fine, till her ego had blinded her and her safety. She attempted the move but as she jumped on the spring board and was starting to flip over, her hands had gotten the wrong positioning. 

It all happened so fast, Cat didn't know what was going on. Her wrist had collapsed from the wrong position, letting her full body weight fall onto it. That had initially broken it. Then from the force and impact she flew from the vault uncontrollably flipping. Her head landing first knocking her out, then her hand underneath her twisted, broken, and as she would find out later shattered. 

Everyone had rushed to her, no one thinking that she would ever have something like this happen to her. While she was rushed to the hospital everything was a blur. She remembered yelling from the pain in her whole arm, giving ing to tears. Bella next to her holding her other hand, saying something about some one was fired. Then blackness. 

Cat woke up a day later in the hospital bed. She was told what happened. An employee didn't wash the vault and it had sweat and chalk mixed on it. Causing her to not find her positioning and as soon as her hands hit, it was like glue. Stoping her hands from pivoting.  Cat cried and cried about what happened, everything she knew and loved was instantly taken away. She was told never to do gymnastics again, her wrist would never be the same. Unable to support her body and constant use needed for the sport.

-------------------

Cat ended the call, she closed her eyes and held back the tears. She then Quickly went to the kitchen and pulled out an ice pack, unwrapping the bandage and putting the pack on then wrapping it up again. Next she went to her medicine cabinet and popped two extra strong pain killers. Cat then sunk herself into an overstuffed sofa, favoring her wrist. Being careful not to cause more pain.

Why? That was the question In her head, why did this happen? Why was she being punished and forced to give that life up.  She did t know why, she was just beating her self up over it. She soon drifted off into a sound sleep, that question probing her mind and soon causing a nightmare.

Cat walked home and it wasn't very pleasant. Her wrist was throbbing in pain and it seemed like nothing could get rid of it.  She had put a tenser-bandage on her wrist wrapping it tight so it wouldn't move much.  When she got in the door she immediately called Bella. Her friend since she was little, she also did gymnastics. Only she still did it.  

"Its hurting again." was all Cat said as her friend picked up the phone. Bella had concern in her voice and asked if she tried to do gymnastics again. Then gave her trouble for trying. Cat knew she couldn't do it anymore, but ever since she was little she would breath and live gymnastics. Her was her life till she had shattered her wrist.

-------------------

It was four years ago when it happened. She was at the top of her game, no one could touch her. So from that her ego grew. She became self-centered, and started to not care for anything around her but her competition and beating them. Everyone on her team put up with her only because of her talent as a gymnast. She would lead them to a win nearly every time.  

Cat was trying out for the Olympic team, and it was very promising. She was nervous and almost scared at the same time. This was her dream and it was slowly becoming true.  She was trying a new move she had just thought of, very complicated and very tough. Cat started on the vault and everything seemed to be going fine, till her ego had blinded her and her safety. She attempted the move but as she jumped on the spring board and was starting to flip over, her hands had gotten the wrong positioning. 

It all happened so fast, Cat didn't know what was going on. Her wrist had collapsed from the wrong position, letting her full body weight fall onto it. That had initially broken it. Then from the force and impact she flew from the vault uncontrollably flipping. Her head landing first knocking her out, then her hand underneath her twisted, broken, and as she would find out later shattered. 

Everyone had rushed to her, no one thinking that she would ever have something like this happen to her. While she was rushed to the hospital everything was a blur. She remembered yelling from the pain in her whole arm, giving ing to tears. Bella next to her holding her other hand, saying something about some one was fired. Then blackness. 

Cat woke up a day later in the hospital bed. She was told what happened. An employee didn't wash the vault and it had sweat and chalk mixed on it. Causing her to not find her positioning and as soon as her hands hit, it was like glue. Stoping her hands from pivoting.  Cat cries and cried about what happened, everything she knew and loved was instantly taken away. She was told never to do gymnastics again, her wrist would never be the same. Unable to support her body and constant use needed for the sport.

-------------------

Cat ended the call, she closed her eyes and held back the tears. She then Quickly went to the kitchen and pulled out an ice pack, unwrapping the bandage and putting the pack on then wrapping it up again. Next she went to her medicine cabinet and popped two extra strong pain killers. Cat then sunk herself into an overstuffed sofa, favoring her wrist. Being careful not to cause more pain.

Why? That was the question In her head, why did this happen? Why was she being punished and forced to give that life up.  She did t know why, she was just beating her self up over it. She soon drifted off into a sound sleep, that question probing her mind and soon causing a nightmare.

Alex spent that evening at home. He did the work that he needed to do to be able to spend the majority of his time practicing for dance competitions. His uncle owned a company and had given him a job he could do from home so he could make more money than he would simply get from competiton dancing and the occasional dance show or video work. It also let him stay in the business world so he could have a smooth transfer once he finished his dancing career. He didn't plan on being a teacher or a choreographer. That could change before he retired from actually dancing, but at the moment he wanted to keep his options open.

The next morning he got up and got ready for his day. He wasn't sure what had been going on with Cat at the end of their previous practice, but as long as she showed up for the next one then it would be fine. If something was wrong he at least expected some sort of notification. If she couldn't tell him something was wrong then it would be tough being partners.

When Cat got up the next morning all she did was groan at her wrist. She undid the bandage last night before she went to bed, something she regretted now. As she got up looking at her clock on the night table next to her bed she let out a soft sigh. She took the bandage that was next to the clock and wrapped it once again. Planning on taking it off just before practice. 

As time went on she had gotten ready for the day. Bella had asked her last night to come in after her dancing and be a guest for Bella's students. She packed everything she needed for that, then what she needed for dance. And soon the young woman was on her way. 

Cat walked into the studio and looked around she didn't see anyone and smiled. Her hand was still bandaged but she would quickly warm up and maybe do a few roundoffs and one handed hand springs. To be honest she just wanted to feel the rush and excitement she had gotten from back then. And that's just what she did, a quick warm up and she soon started one handed gymnastics.

Alex made his way to the studio When he got there he got dressed for practice in one of the dressing rooms. Once he was in his practice clothes he went to the studio they had booked. When he looked inside he saw Cat doing some gymnastic moves. He watched her for a minute and noticed something interesting. She was only using one hand. It was always the same hand. She seemed to be avoiding anything with her other hand. He walked inside and set his things against the wall. He didn't bother mentioning anything right away. He started to stretch and get warm for their practice.

When the other two arrived Alex got up and went over to his dance partner. He spoke softly so only she would hear him. "So...is there something wrong with your wrist? If there is, that's ok, as long as it doesn't cause a problem for our routines. I just think I should know so we can do what we can to make sure it doesn't get worse. I only ask because I saw the one handed tricks and you only used one specific arm. It makes me wonder."

Cat finished her last trick and looked towards her bag. It felt so melancholy to do those tricks again. She didn't notice Alex till she turned around. She felt like she froze in her place. She honestly didn't know why, but she didn't want him knowing about her weakness, any kind for that matter. She regained her composer and let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding. He didn't mention anything, so she was hoping that he didn't notice something.  Cat briskly walked to her bag and took her bandage off before the others arrived. 

She was looking down at her bag when she heard Alex talk. There it was, he found her out. She held her breath and she turned pale. She whipped around to look him in the eyes, but she could say anything. In her eyes it seemed as if there was a mixture of anger, pain and sorrow. "It's...it's just and old wound. Nothing really." she wanted to tell him, but didn't knowing that he would use it as an excuse to try and exchange her for a better partner. Cat wanted to prove to herself, more so to him that she could do this. "And it won't interfere with any of our routines. It's been four years and I've made it this far, I know what to do about it." she didn't mean to but that comment had come out rudely and a bit snotty. 

"Let's just start practice. I'm sure you've had some hurting times. Maybe a broken toe or ankle. I don't ask if there's anything that can interfere with this partnership." with that she walked to the center of the room standing in front of samantha and Alex's coach. Waiting to begin. She bit her lip, it wasn't a huge secret. Hell it wasn't even one. So why did she act as if it was one, maybe her pride got in the way like it had in the past.

Alex was quite surprised by her reaction to him. He didn't expect her to question his past injuries or attempt to make him feel bad just for asking. He followed her to the middle of the room and waited until what they were doing that practice had been explained. Matt and Samantha went to get the music set up while Alex took his position. He looked at Cat and frowned. He spoke softly again. "I'm glad it isn't anything that will interfere with doing strong routines. I wasn't trying to attack you or find weaknesses. I was just trying to learn what our limits are as a pair. Your reaction seems almost defensive, as if that arm is worse than you claim it is. Do you really want me thinking like that?" The music started and he began dancing. He didn't bother saying anything else. He'd let her think about what he said and decide how she wanted to respond.

Matt and Samantha knew that the two dancers were discussing something, but neither one was sure what it was. They didn't know about Cat's injury, just that she had stopped doing gymnastics for some reason. The people she had danced with previously hadn't mentioned any issues, so there was no reason to assume there might be a problem for her. In one of the dances, however, there was a plan for a lift involving a couple seconds of Cat above Alex's head with their only point of contact being their hands. It would require both of them to use their strength to keep it looking good.

Cat listened, not replying to Alex. She thought about it and almost agreed with him. If her partner had an injury and couldn't do something she would want to know. She hated what he just did. He just made her feel guilty. Wait, why should she? She didn't do anything wrong, but neither did he. 

When that part of the practice ended she looked at him. Thinking hard about what she way going to say. "if you really want to know about my injury look up Catherine Ross. It shouldn't be too hard to find." that was all she said, she also didn't know why but she referred to her full name as if it wasn't her. In truth she didn't want to remember the past, but her wrist made sure she didn't 

Alex was a little frustrated when Cat gave a horrible explaination of her injury. At least she admitted that there was something wrong, in a way. He figured that by searching he would find some kind of news story about her. It must have been a fairly bad injury if it had been in the news. He made a mental note to look it up. They got a short break and then they were rehearsing again. Alex didn't say much through the practice. There wasn't much for him to say. Cat seemed to be in a bad mood and he had a feeling that saying anything wouldn't go over well. Even when their practice came to an end he stayed fairly quiet, saying nothing personal. He went home and did the search she had suggested. After a little looking he found the article that explained everything. It was surprising seeing how bad it had been. He felt she was quite lucky to be able to do what she could. He still wished she had been willing to tell him herself though. He also didn't know what she was capable of and how bad her injury was after all that time.

When dance was over she left as soon as she could. Cat took her phone out and looked at the time. She still had half an hour to get to Bella's class, she had plenty of time. Cat walked to her car and plugged in her phone, turning on her gymnastics playlist. She had to pump herself up and this was the only way to do it. She drove for twenty minutes and finally reached the school. Cat took a deep breath and started towards the school. 

When she walked though the door she was greeted with smiles and awe. The girls in Bella's class looked up to her and wanted to be just like her. Almost perfect in gymnastics and a star. To Cat, many of these girls would end up dropping out. Due to many reasons and only a hand full would make it to her status. So for the time cat just smiled and waved. 

Back
Top Bottom