Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

hindsight is always twenty-twenty [loki & angelicxdream]

Loki Laufeyson

Meteorite
tumblr_m4wgvv8j6C1qd52doo5_250.gif

~​

Jaime could really have used some air.

For the past 45 minutes he had went on and on about a former dissertation. The social perception on female lunatics in 19th century England. Quoting contemporary Victorian literature and documents from the national archive had all been well and good but Jaime could have gone on simply talking for hours. He had a passion for history. A passion for stories and the legacy people left behind for later generations. Jaime had always been fascinated by past events that had essentially shaped the world he lived in today.

The conference was, by no means, a small one. It was no surprise that several of the people in attendance were of the female persuasion. He wouldn't have particularly called his focus a feminist approach but he welcomed the lens from which it could be viewed as such. Jaime was simply happy to be there, talking about what he loved and sharing what he knew with his colleagues and fellow history-buffs.

He finished to great applause and smiled his charming smile. The water bottle that had been resting on his podium had never looked so sweet and he found himself chugging half of it down before all manner of hands reached out to shake his and congratulate him and thank him. Jaime was all smiles and modesty as he welcomed the praise and answered questions eagerly. There was no other place he would have rather been than right here. He lived for this.

Jaime was fairly young as far as professors went. Only just having turned 31, it always struck him as rather bizarre that someone like him had wound up teaching at one of the world's most prestigious universities. Not to say that he hadn't worked hard to get where he was. That doctorate hadn't come easy and he had spent a long time working as a teaching assistant until his unbridled passion seemed to open the eyes of his seniors.

His students were fond of telling him that there was more to life than lecturing and he would always laugh it off though he knew the harmless jibes weren't completely unmerited. Teaching was just as much a passion of his as was the study of history. Jaime loved nothing more than to stand in a lecture hall before a sea of fresh faces, enlightening them and inspiring them. Reading essays was something most sane professors would have claimed to hate but Jaime was not among them. He relished in reading over the work his students provided and often times would learn a thing or two himself. It was no surprise that he was consistently a favourite in his department and Columbia as a whole.

At 6'2 and just around 83kgs, Jaime was on the slender slide. His eye colour was a topic of debate and rather than correct a person, he would smile and allow the ambiguity to run its course. Sometimes they were blue, other times they were green, or perhaps they were blue-green, or even a shade of a grey. His hair was light and had a natural curl to it that was far more pronounced when he wore it short. He had a thin face that could almost be considered gaunt and very straight teeth that could either make for a dazzling smile or a truly frightening one. It was a pleasant face, really. Too odd to be truly handsome but nice to look at all the same.

That wasn't to say he didn't have most of his female students swooning, a fact he claimed to be unaware of by choice. It was ponderous how far an English accent and an easygoing smile could take a man but he wasn't complaining. Jaime rarely complained about anything. He led a good, simple life and couldn't truly ask for more. The past few years had been devoted to his teaching and his research and Jaime would be the first to say that he had no regrets, at least, none where his work was concerned.

By the time the conference had ended, Jaime found himself shuffling through the crowd and scanning the refreshments table. It would have suited him better to grab some air. He had only just finished speaking with the research director of the Berkman Center for Internet and society at Harvard and was almost certain that if he didn't take a moment to himself, he would soon lose his voice.

Chuckling softly at his predicament, Jaime exercised the natural advantage his height offered him and politely pushed past a few people in search of the nearest exit. It was getting awful stuffy in there.

Maria Elizabeth Harding was incredibly grateful for the opportunity to attend a four-day long literary conference. English Literature had been her minor at Columbia since she first decided to attend two years ago. By no means, was English Literature her expertise, but it was an honour because it wasn't her expertise. She was here to learn something she might not have otherwise. Besides, attendance for this particular conference was very limited and she was proud, excited, and anxious to see her Professor, Professor Grey. He was young, beautiful, and handsome in a weird, quirky kind of way. She had just finished his course in the spring, and she was quite excited to see him again, this time off-campus. She was sure she was just another female student who had fallen under his spell. It wasn't hard. He was charming, witty, and had a fine English accent to boot. What was there not to like? Fortunately, she didn't have much competition here. Grinning, she watched as people pushed past others to shake his hand, thank him, ask him questions as he finished his lecture. She would have joined but she knew it was near to impossible to get a private moment with him -here-. She would have to create her own moment with him. Turning around, she exited through a door, and leaned against the wall for a moment, surveying her surroundings.

Having finished with top marks not only in his class, but in all of her classes, she felt accomplished, and good about herself. Money not wasted. She was beautiful, intelligent, and sweet. She would be a perfect match for Professor Grey. Blushing, should she think about him in this way? No, probably not. But she had, more than she cared to admit. These feelings hit home when she had checked in at the hotel, knowing that he was somewhere in this building wanted to make her squeeze herself with newfound glee. She wanted to talk to him about his lecture, and on his dissertation that she had read countless times before for "light reading". And maybe, maybe he'd even consent to a coffee date. She beamed at herself, what a fantastic plan! She didn't have to wait long, before Mr. English Accent himself came out of the door. What would it be like to launch herself in those arms? Hm... she let her mind wander off. Striding purposefully toward him, she let out a big smile, "Professor Grey? I don't suppose you remember me, but I took your class last spring at Columbia University, Maria Harding?" She stood in front of him, and stretched her hand out to shake his. Her brown eyes lit up like Christmas when she saw him, twinkling under the fluorescent lights. The hallway was mainly deserted, "I loved your lecture. If you have free time now, I'd love to have coffee with you." She grinned from ear to ear, "You must be thirsty after a forty-five minute lecture. Or if you prefer we can go out to dinner. It's almost seven PM. You must be starving. It's my treat." She touched his arm lightly, "I had dinner at this adorable Italian eatery the other day. You must try it."

Maria had dark brown hair, that ran down her shoulders in soft, romantic waves. Today, she was wearing a cutesy school girl pink bow, that pushed her bangs back. Normally, her hair would be straightened. Standing at 5"4, she was much shorter than Professor Grey. She had a small, slender body. To his lecture, she dressed to impress. Wearing a smart, tailored white blouse tucked into a navy pleated skirt, she hoped she looked as smart as she thought she did. Above anything, she hoped Professor Grey would accept her dinner offer. She removed her hand, and waited for his response. This was his last lecture of the conference, he wouldn't be speaking again. Did some of the other professors invite him out to dinner? Was he busy? She hoped not. This was at a conference, away from home, she hoped that the environment would be at her advantage. He wasn't her professor anymore, they weren't at Columbia University, maybe she could make him forget that she was just his student. Instead, she hoped he looked at her like she was a smart, beautiful, sexy young woman. She was so nervous, she hoped he would say something soon. The silence was killing her.

It was the sound of his name that caught his attention and Jaime quickly turned his head to rest his gaze upon a rather lovely young face. It was a familiar face but Jaime didn't often forget his students, certainly not those who made themselves known to him. As the girl introduced herself, it took but a moment for the name to click and the tell-tale widening of his eyes signified his recognition. His eyes crinkled gently as his lips stretched into a wide smile, displaying those enviably even teeth.

Maria Harding. It was hard to forget a name when said name had gotten away with some of the highest grades he had ever given out. Not to say that he didn't like handing out good grades. It was something he personally strove for and he could say with much pride that his class average was consistently a solid B+. The hand she offered was taken with ease and he found himself shaking it eagerly in his warm grip. It was wonderful to see some of his former students coming out for something so worthwhile.

Her comment on his thirst had him laughing his contagious laugh. It was the kind of laugh that got one's attention and lit up the surroundings. "Just a bit," he affirmed whilst lifting his empty water bottle with a friendly grin. Her offer surprised him purely for the fact that he hadn't really intended on doing much besides having himself a quick dinner and going back to the hotel room for some much needed rest. He had done nothing but prepare for that 45 minute lecture over the past few weeks and it had worn him out considerably. Sight-seeing was something he had done years ago on his previous visits to Boston and while the state seemed pleasant enough, he had seen enough of it to sate his curiosity.

The light touch to his arm resulted in him straightening out his posture. Jaime was not one to turn his students down regardless of what they needed him for. It wasn't odd for someone to hear of Jaime enjoying a bite with some of them while going over certain lecture notes or essay topics. As always, he was there to help and guide and simply chat if that was what they desired. Though, at the same time, he recognised that a certain boundary existed between students and professors for a very good reason and he had no intentions of crossing it. Thankfully, Maria's intentions seemed perfectly genuine and he would have been delighted to take her up on her offer.

"You had me at Italian," he replied amiably, "And to clear up your misconception, I do remember you. It would be hard not to. I don't believe I awarded you a grade under A. I suppose treating me to dinner will make up for forcing me into the brief assumption that my course-work wasn't nearly challenging enough." His bright eyes twinkled with mirth as he beamed down at the girl.

"I'd be pleased to join you, Maria. Coffee and dinner sound great but I'll settle for one or the other. Is it far off, this fantastic Italian place? I can grab us a cab if needed." Jaime was completely oblivious to his former student's fawning, nor did he think much of the way she stared at him. Years of interacting with women as nothing more than his students or his colleagues had clearly taken their toll and Jaime was lost to all flirtation, if such a thing existed. It was either that or he turned a blind eye. One could never be sure...

"Oh, Professor... just let me take care of you tonight." Maria grinned from ear to ear, as she grabbed his hand. "Italian, it is! Come. I'll lead the way." Yes, she would use any excuse to touch him. Purposefully, she lead him into a secluded area, where she had parked her sleek black BMW. Purposefully, she walked slowly with him. She felt a shiver run down her spine, and that electricity, thick as a fog, charging through her fingers, the moment she grabbed his hand. She hoped he felt it too. How could he not? She wasn't that brave, to ask him, so she left it at that. She frowned, as they reached where she had parked. Did she have to let go of his hand? Begrudgingly, she held onto his warm, large hand for a moment more, making it a bit more obvious of her intentions before she let him go, and watched him walk to the other side to get into her car. She had rented a car the minute she had landed, she hated public transportation. It was the best way to get lost in a city she barely knew. She had only been in Boston a few times before, and that was with her family.

The ride was smooth, it was barely a fifteen minute ride before they arrived at the Italian restaurant. During the ride, she gushed over everything, over every minute detail of his presentation. Okay, yeah, she was sucking up. Why did she need to suck up? She had finished his course with flying colours. She hoped that what she said in the car would be accepted without suspicion of any ulterior motives. She hoped that he would feel the same way, that she was appraising him for his work well done, and not because she was trying to get something out of him. Well, she was, but it was definitely not academic. She smiled innocently at Professor Grey. In fact, during this conversation, she even found out that they were on the same flight back home. How exciting.

"We'll be there soon. I hope you're hungry!" She giggled, and stepped on the pedal of the car, as it took them to their destination.

As she parked the car, she grinned up at him and stared at him for a few moments before speaking. "Well, let's go before I eat you myself, Professor." Her last few words were spoken with barely a whisper. Did he hear her? This restaurant didn't look like much. In fact, most people drove past it to eat at the more trendy American restaurant located across the street. In fact, if she hadn't been in the mood for Italian the other night, she might have gone to the American restaurant herself. Stepping inside the restaurant, Maria asked for a table of two, and they were seated promptly by the window, looking out at the brilliant view of the city, lit up by the many street lights, only intercepted by the sounds of children laughing, adults talking and the occasional barks of dogs and meows of cats. Unlike most restaurants, Maria chose to sit beside him, and not across from him, it would be much easier to access him this way and show him that she was just not his student, she could be much, much more. The waitress, Maria groaned inside, was a skimpily dressed woman who looked just about her age, if not younger with bright blonde hair and a curvy body. She smiled curtly to the waitress and said, "I think we're going to need five minutes."

"Whatever you want, Professor Grey, it's on me tonight." She smiled, and reassured him, "Don't worry, I can afford it."

"What would you like to drink?"

Looking closer at her dinner date, she frowned. Poor thing, he looked so wiped out. Even now, she could see the lines that were etched on his face from staying up late working, the dark circles under his eyes. She wanted to soothe him. Maybe a good, warm meal would do him some good. Perk him up a little. Chewing on her bottom lip, she surveyed the menu, although she knew what she wanted. And it wasn't on the menu. She beamed up at him, as she ran her fingers lightly across his knuckles. The waitress came back to greet them again. Maria made sure the waitress, Sara, knew that he was taken. Or, he would be soon. She decided not to let the green monster out and smiled at her. "Yes, we will order... I think I will have a glass of your red wine, what would you like, Professor?"

by1dd.gif

~​

[Since a flight from Boston to New York would only take about 40 mins I'm gonna assume they took the train. :B]

It wasn't in Jaime's nature to suspect a student's good intentions, though he had his own secret quarrel with the fairer sex that stemmed from a wound suffered long ago. It was a wound that had never truly healed, only festered and gotten number and number over the years. As a young bachelor, Jaime would admit with some embarrassment that he hadn't been on a proper date in what seemed like an eternity. His most intimate of moments were shared with his right hand and a shower wall. At best, the water could wash away his shame and a glass of wine the memory.

Jaime wasn't blind. He was fully aware that some of his female students had indeed taken to him for reasons he couldn't truly comprehend but he had always written it off with a flattered smile and nothing more. His students knew enough to refrain from breaching that moral conduct and as such, Jaime wasn't overly put-off when Maria took him by the hand. It was a little unusual but the girl was bright and enthusiastic, he had no cause to worry. Or so he told himself.

The meeting of their hands resulted in a light shock that he would write off as simple static. The sight of the car awarded his attention and for a few moments, he was lost in studying the mechanics of the handsome vehicle until he realised that Maria had not yet released his hand. Perhaps she too was taken in by the car. He tore his gaze away from the BMW and offered her another one of his friendly smiles that he hoped would signify that she needed both hands in order to drive.

Thankfully, she seemed to come to her senses and Jaime ignored the slight nagging feeling that had only just arisen in his gut. This was nothing but a former student of his showing interest in her studies. He had no business being on edge, he told himself. After all, he was the one who always called to his students to go above and beyond the written curriculum. Maria was simply heeding this call.

The ride was pleasant enough. Rather than enjoy the passing architecture, Jaime humoured Maria with simple conversation, rather charmed by her passion. As a scholar, Jaime clearly had the deepest respect for those who wished to learn and recognised that there was no real end to acquirable knowledge. He encouraged her appreciation as best he could without being overly cocky about it. Though it was his research she was gushing about.

"Starving," he confirmed and in what seemed like no time at all, they reached their destination. Maria's comment had his mind racing to thoughts of ritualistic cannibalism. He had only just read a fascinating article the other day about the very same topic and would have brought it up if common sense hadn't kicked in. One didn't speak of such things before dinner.

He followed closely behind, taking shorter strides with his long legs to accommodate his petite companion. The restaurant had this quaint charm that had him looking around in approval. Once seated, Jaime habitually stroked the hairs on his chin as he thought to himself. The arrival of the waitress had him smiling a welcoming smile. He considered Maria's drinking choice and decided that one of them would have to settle for something nonalcoholic.

"Just water, thank you."

Maria's words had him looking politely puzzled though he showed his gratitude where it was required. "That's very kind of you." It was.

But Jaime wasn't a greedy man, nor had he been raised to take much even when it was offered. So engrossed was he in finding some of the cheaper items on the menu that he almost didn't notice it when Maria touched his pale knuckles. His gaze drifted past his menu and Jaime studied the girl curiously. Everything about her was curious and Jaime may have felt inclined to say something except he wasn't entirely sure of what he could say.

That tension in his gut had returned and Jaime feared that perhaps he had misread Maria's intentions. A part of him still wanted to cling to the belief that she was simply physical by nature and so passionate about his work that she didn't necessarily realise that she was slowly but surely crossing a line here. Jaime would hate to be the one to remind her, though he would if he had to. He had no intentions of becoming involved with a student, regardless of how attractive they might have been. And Maria certainly was attractive.

"So, what have you got planned for the summer?" he queried in a light tone, trying to draw her attention away to something more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom