Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Discussion: Apocalypse: How, And What Happens After?

Yes, Aliens! I've been waiting forever for someone to bring it up.

I dunno why, but every time now that I think of a massive alien invasion, I either think of the Reapers of the Mass Effect series or the aliens in the film Battle: Los Angeles (a movie I want a sequel to so much).

Reapers, because they're giant, sentient ships of death, doom, destruction, and horror. They liquify a species to make more of themselves, and if that's not enough, they turn anyone captured into soldiers, abominations, through indoctrination and heavy technological/biological modification. When a Reaper Husk (pretty much a Zombie with pretty lights) is scarier than a plague carrying monster, then you know that they're doing their job. Not to mention the fact that Reapers can just keep sending forces at you, and for every troop they've turned into an abomination, the other side's lost two soldiers already. The one they turned, and the guy who can't fire on his best friend. It's mind blowing that they would do this, but for some reason soldiers respect them for their ruthlessness. Then it makes you think how such an event can be survived, and what you do afterwards.

Sorry, I'm just interested in the prospect of aliens invading. Hell, alien life is fascinating enough, but when you have a military-driven race invading your planet, then you get a sense of danger everywhere you go. I like the fact that the new show, Fallen Skies, kind of reflects that, but if we had an invading alien presence fighting against an organized military group like, say, the American Delta Force or the British SAS, then we could probably win. Or if special forces operators trained civilians while fighting the war, that would be even better. Since civilians wouldn't really know the rules of war other than the basics, and they'd know that the aliens wouldn't follow such doctrines, they have more flexibility, more ways to engage the enemy.

Again, sorry, bit of a military buff. Well, not military buff, but I'm a fan of most military fiction.

Here is my problem about the existence of aliens. 1) The universe is so BIG that its highly unlikely we are not the only one in the universe. 2) The universe is so BIG that its highly unlikely we will meet anyone else in the universe. And with those contradictory bits, 3) add FTL and affordable fleet for peaceful or violent invasion to the mix. I do believe, if we as humanity get our butts into gear, for us to travel to other planets. But if we are visited by aliens, we might as well appear to be primitives to them.

Of course me reading Wright's The Golden Age Trilogy might play a part in this thinking. Military race? Who needs a military when you are that far advanced?! Was it Arthur C Clarke who said one who use far more advance science might as well be called magic to those who don't understand it?

Why not just have all countries be emptied in alphabetical order each New Years?

Each year a country and everything within it's borders vanishes, replaced by that of a world untouched by human hands. It does this with each country, alphabetically in English, until they run out. That or simply have some gendercide meaning that there are very few fertile males left who need to repopulate the earth. That would probably get your thread more attention.

Huh.

That's... An interesting concept. I hadn't thought about a natural occurrence such as that.

Though my thread getting attention isn't really the reason for this thread to begin with. It's for us to collaborate and think about how the world will end, and how it'll fare after civilization falls. I could care less if this thread got more attention, I just wanna see people talking about it, discussing it, giving each other ideas.

Generalfoley said:
Battle: Los Angeles (a movie I want a sequel to so much).
I agree they should make a sequel to that movie. I found the movie was great if you took it for what it was and did not think to hard about its short comings.

I think there is some hope for them making a sequel since they have more information on the aliens then they put into the movie at a viral site they put up. I would much prefer them to take a sequel off earth and jump ahead by a decade or two after the war has been won. I am also bias because I would much prefer to see how humanity uses the new tech that they can recover from the aliens and the affects on the planet after since the invasion force was using water to power at least some of its tech.

Generalfoley said:
I like the fact that the new show, Fallen Skies, kind of reflects that, but if we had an invading alien presence fighting against an organized military group like, say, the American Delta Force or the British SAS, then we could probably win.

I love Fallen Skies partly because it was based on an alien invasion but I also liked the twists that were worked into the story line. I can't wait until the season two premiere is uploaded so I can watch it.

I just a little bit more to add, I think that we will most likely see the human race split off into multiple new versions as we spread away from earth and we adapt to new environments.

My two cents on the actual topic of this thread and my favorite way for the Apocalypse to happen would probably a mixture of solar flare frying the most electronics and then some biological agent(s) being released.

On a related note, I just listened to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxMRzLZTcd0

This is a guy (Cliff, the audio, not JSnip, who just follows him) who has a computer program that use the internet to make predictions about the future, called Web Bot. Wither you believe it or not I'll leave it up to you. Anyway, he is just commenting about this page:

http://www.farsight.org/demo/Demo2008/RV_Demo_2008_Page1.html

Background to all of this is the Web Bot, as it uses the internet, has a data gap where there is just no data for a good chunk of the first half of 2013. The second link are people who notice in two different possible timelines (may not be ours... they stress these are two possible futures) something disastrous will happen. Combining this with the Web Bot, the speculation is for now something will cause a water displacement in spring to early summer, like a large space object crashing into the ocean causing a massive wave that will dump a lot of ocean water on land and leave less water in the ocean. Lots of coastal damage and then, due to the displacement, harbors are too far away from the ocean to be of use without rebuilding.

I often just put this on the back of my head. Very interesting, but the Web Bot tend to get dates wrong and over exaggerate!

A solar flare can disrupt satellite communication, and one solar flare took out a large chunk of Canada power. Forgot the year. The sun right now is really active and why I wonder if climatic change is due more to the sun than us. Other planets besides us are showing signs of changing weather patterns.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Generalfoley said:
Ah, the solar flare. I keep seeing that pop up in the thread that started this, but I'm not sure how it would work. If someone could explain that to me, I'd love to hear it.

Though the biological agent(s) getting out into the world is a bit of a scary thought, since it could happen.

As Patricio said a Solar flare can disrupt satellite communication the reason for this is because they are not shielded for EMP which is what is what a Solar flare will give off. There was massive Solar flare that hit the earth which I believe is the same one that Patricio mentioned. It was named the carrington event and it was powerful enough to allow people in Cuba to read a newspaper at night just from the light that came form the Northern lights that they were able to see. That was caused by the radiation from the solar flare reacting with the planets atmosphere.

The big danger of the Solar flare is that if it does hit the earth it could stop economics for a long enough that society could start to fall apart. That is because one power would go out but more importantly any modern vehicle would not run because the on board computers are not shielded for EMP. That means that the fleet of transportation trucks that supply most stores will stop working and within three days those stores will have nothing on their shelves. So unless people have a backup supply of food for emergencies or ration what food you have you are going to start having problems as people look for food.

To sum it up pretty much all computers will be useless and many forms of communication will be as well. I am sure I have missed a few major points but this is just the knowledge I know.

This video is pretty good as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW8Rsil0lqk&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom