Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Up Up And Away! ((Hat+Dontxblinkk))

Hat-tori

Supernova
Harold rose from bed, stretching. He was lean, slightly muscular, and pale. He reached out, and his arm to the wrist became mist, his hand grasping a glass of water and bringing it to him. Today was a good day. The first day of the new school year. Thus, newcomers, for all years. He'd made it a habit to check them out.

He picked up his phone as he stretched, calling Billy about it. They met in the main hall.

Avalon was a great pillar on an isle in the Pacific. Made of glass and plastic and concrete, the structure was enormous, the tallest in the world. It was wide enough to hold a dorm on a single floor.

The first floor held what was called "Avalon town" a small area of commercial restaurants, shops, and similar amenities. A floor above that were the dorms, men north, women south, and those stretched up for 12 floors.

After that, classes. Floor after floor of them, higher grades being higher up.

The whole building had a central pillar, but there was room between that and the walk areas, to allow those with flight to move between floors freely. Further, elevators spanned the floors as well as stairs and ramps. All in all, a beautiful place.

Harold sat at a table on the ground floor, drinking quietly from a tall glass. He was dressed well - he preferred suits in white and grey. His friend, Billy, stood behind him, a large and wide counter to Harold's slender form.
"What do you think? Lots of nice ones this year?" he asked, cocking a brow. Billy shrugged.
"You know, I'm not going to let this pass forever, Harold."
"Pshh. This is the last time. I promise."

Stephanie was surprised it had taken them this long. She was eighteen, just entering her last year of high school, when Avalon had contacted her, informing her that there was in fact a school for people like her and that she was welcome to come and attend whenever she felt like joining them. Of course, being the awkward teenager, just like every other in her grade, was eager to join a school where she could be at least partly understood. So she packed her bags, informed her parents and left for the train station in an instant. With what money she had saved up with her job and family, she was able to pay for what she needed for school and get to the school on time.

There looked to be at least three dozen new students like her, ranging from nearly seven to double her age. Most of them seemed to be in awe and the ones who weren't showing it certainly had it on the inside. The entire group knew they were about to enter the most important place in their lives and for a few, the first place they could really call home.

Stephanie had begun talking to a few of the new students on the way to the school, discussing where they had come from, what they knew about the school and of course, what 'talent' they had. Talent, gift, curse; they all meant the same thing. The teens had what has been commonly referred to as 'super powers'. And in Stephanie's case, they were easy to cover. But she was one of the lucky ones.

The amber haired female entered the school and paused a few feet inside the doorway, taking a chance to look around the welcoming hall. It was bustling with all sorts of people; a few from different races, a few with different looks and even two or three blue students. They were all there for the same reason she was and a small grin crossed her face at the idea. They were all like her, deep down. Of course not all of them had telekinetic abilities, or were able to heal themselves, but they all had a gift they needed to learn to master or just have somewhere to hide from the ugly that was the rest of the world. Avalon was exactly that school.

Stephanie didn't spend too much time gawking, knowing she had to find her room to unpack her things before anything else could happen there. But her room would be difficult to find. She spotted two men, one in a suit while the other looked much like his professional body guard, at least in how he held himself. She smiled and started over to them, hoping they could help her.

"Excuse me," she called as a greeting.

Harold smiled, a winning grin.
"Hello. Take a seat, welcome to Avalon." he said. "I'm Harold, this is Billy. How can we help you?"

He smiled and leaned forth. He was something of a player. Well, 'something' was an understatement: He was a HardHeart. HardHearts were a group that gathered beneath the school. Technically their activities were against the rules, but few of the students involved ever babbled, for various reasons. The purple pin of a broken heart signified this membership.

Billy was not a member, but remained Harold's friend for his own reasons. In fact, he was a member of the student council, the small golden A pin on the breast of his shirt showing so.

Someone came along shortly, dropping off some ice water to the table, a glass for each of them.

Stephanie took the seat as it was offered and smiled slightly at the two men. "Just slightly lost," she told them. "I'm looking for the dorms, but this map isn't very helpful." She held out the piece of paper she had gotten on the train into the school. "Mind helping me?" Her eyes danced over the two men in front of her, nearly ready to beg them for help. All the other new students were just as confused and the older ones didn't seem to be willing to help. Except these two, that is.

Harold smiled, taking the paper. "Sure thing. The dorms are actually upstairs." he said. "I'll walk you." he said, getting up and smiling. "A little favour in return." he said as soon as they were out of earshot from Billy. "Wear this on your collar and come to the elevator later tonight." he said, handing her a small bronze heart pin. "All I ask." he said as he lead her up the stairs. "The place is very simple, really. Ground floor is town. Up here, dorms. Those go up about twelve floors - seniors up top. Further up are classrooms. You got your schedule, right?"

The girl smiled and followed Harold towards the dorms. She blinked at the pin and took it, carefully looking it over. "What is it?" she asked. "And what time?" She looked at the man next to her, confused at the idea of having a pin. Did she have to wear it or was it an option or something? Was she being invited into a group? Either way, she continued on with him and nodded, noting what he was telling her. "Got it," she said, holding up a folded sheet of paper. "What floor are you on?"

"Call it entry into an exclusive club. Just wear it when you head down around midnight." he said. "I'm on this floor - at the other end. Male and female dorms are separated, but feel free to knock anytime - 0000045." he said.

"Anyway, classes won't start for a few days yet. But you might want to check where they are ahead. First number is floor - 1 is the first after dorms - second is down the halls, they are numbered sequentially. We might even share a class."

Stephanie nodded as she looked down the hallway. She looked at her schedule to find her dorm room and smiled slightly. "We're on the same floor," she told him, hoping that was good news for him. "Room 0000082." It was on the other end of the hall, as she could tell by the direction signs screwed onto the walls in front of her. She paused and watched the sign, as if it would change and nodded. "We'll have to see," she commented with a small shrug. "Thanks for your help."

"Not a problem. Happy to help." he said. "Hope to see you tonight." he added before turning to leave, going home. He grinned, humming to himself as he prepared everything that would be needed. Beat would be providing the special music, and Pharaoh would be giving up some incense. So he had to provide something himself - the entertainment. Naturally, he had a few ladies lined up, but he was hopeful most that she would show.

Stephanie came into her room and quickly met her roommate, a girl who could only be described as punk, with a half shaved head and tattoos to boot. She was kind though and the two seemed to hit it off. They spent a good chuck of the day talking to each other, getting to know one another and just doing general first roommate talks, before it got time for dinner. Chelsea and Stephanie went down to the main dinning hall to get what they wanted for dinner before returning to the room to waste more time unpacking. Once it came to be midnight, she said a quick goodbye to Chelsea and started down to the area that Harold had told her to come to.

Harold was waiting, smiling. "Please, with me." he said, gesturing her into the elevator. "I'm glad you came." he said, pressing a sequence of buttons on the elevator terminal. "It's always nice to bring fresh newcomers."

The elevator, transparent, lowered into the floor, deep under the school. "What I'm showing you should only be mentioned to other people who wear my pin." he said, tapping the heart on his collar. "It's... exclusive." And then the elevator entered the chamber they were destined for, a massive room. Pillows were strewn about haphazardly, the decor was slightly dark and of hues like dark red and purple. The lighting was dim - it was hard to make out anyone, but all of them were dancing. "Welcome to the Darkhearts dance hall." he said, stepping out. The air smelled of a soft incense, and the music's beat thrummed through her.

Harold smiled wide to himself, letting the fragrance and the sound take him. It was a subtle thing - the music and the incense wore away inhibitions, gently melting the voice that said 'no, don't do that'. Many of the dancers were dressed in less than what the school might find acceptable - A few in little more than bikinis. Beat and Pharaoh were proud of thier skills, and rightly so, it was both subtle and strong, and the two together were multiplicative in strength.

"Dance with me." he said gently. "The night is young, and there is still so much fun to be had."

Pausing in the elevator, Stephanie looked out, watching the room the doors had opened to. She mentally questioned what was going on and noticed how many of the dancers were dressed, instantly dreading what she had worn. Her clothing was much more conservative then what the other women were wearing, a pair of tight jeans and a white button up shirt. She seemed to be wearing more like what a man would have on then a woman would. The girl stepped out of the elevator and stopped to look around again. Certainly, she was uncomfortable.

"What exactly is this?" she asked, looking straight at Harold.

"It's a club." he said, taking her hand. "Come, let's get you a drink." he said. "And welcome to HardHeart." he said, leading her to a small drinks table, pouring her some punch. Yet another vector to lower her inhibitions further. It wasn't alcohol, it wouldn't leave her dizzy or taste odd. "And don't worry about the outfit - Lose a few buttons, you'll fit right in. Though I suppose I should have told you to dress to dance. My apologies."

Stephanie nodded and took the drink. Knowing how to dress would have been a good thing, but she wasn't about to complain about it to the other. "I'll work with it," she told him, debating about removing a few of the buttons on her shirt as he had suggested. It would at least lower her up tight image for the evening and expose a bit more of herself to the others around her. "What sort of club?" she asked, taking a sip of the punch. It was sweet and she was surprised at it, as she had expected some sort of alcohol to be in it.

"Whatever we like, really. The rules can grate on us - so we enjoy ourselves here, away from prying eyes. Of course, we don't allow anyone here to harm anyone else - but sometimes, you need a vacation. Do you like the music?"

Beat's music worked best - and quite strongly - when someone listened to it.

"It makes you want to... feel free, doesn't it?"

Back
Top Bottom