Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Halfway Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datenshi

Super-Earth
April sighed boredly as she exchanged her books in her new locker. Joining into high sucked. It sucked even more when you arrived in 11th grade, halfway through the year. Knowing absolutety no one. She felt like such as outcast.

Buck up, she thought to herself. It was only her second day. She had plenty of time to make friends on her own. It wasn't like stuff like that just magically happened. She just needed a few days to get settle. She looked at the mirror in her locker and tried to tame her unruly brown hair into submission in it's ponytails. It was hard to see in such a tall locker. She was short. Someone was probably laughing at her. Finally satisfied, she adjusted her glasses over her green eyes and closed the door, spinning the lock.

History class was next. At least, this would be something she was halfway decent at.

Justin sighed as he exited the gym. Basketball practice had been rough, since they'd been blown out in their last game 86-63, and the coach wasn't happy at all. He'd lost count of the laps they'd done, but it didn't matter now. Up next was history class, and he only hoped that he'd get a chance to relax a bit before the end of the day.

His long blond hair was unnatural for someone most people considered a jock. His dark blue eyes seemed to be able to pierce through his well kept hair. He didn't know how it happened, but his hair just naturally didn't want to fight with him like most peoples did. He was back into the black suit his coach had forced all basketball players to wear before a game.

His next class was History, which was his second best subject. While everyone filed him into a stereotypical jock clique, he was anything but it to the people that actually took the time to get to know him. He wasn't really apart of any clique, except for the fact he happened to be on the basketball team. He actually had his nose in almost every clique. He was the best friend to everyone he could reach out to, and almost always put everyone else's problems on his shoulders whenever possible. His sociology teacher had even pulled him aside to tell him he needed to start doing things for himself. He'd just ignored the teacher and shrugged her off as if she was crazy.

He slowly walked into the History class and took his seat in the back of the room, mainly because of his height. He didn't want to be infront of anyone's line of sight.

April slipped into class, taking immediate notice of the fact she had lost the front seat that she had sat in yesterday. She sighed, feeling a little more than slightly peeved. The only other spot was next to a tall kid in the back. Way in the back. Hardly friendly toward someone with eyesight as more as hers.

Still, she didn't have time to arrange for someone to move. The teacher entered the room behind her and she had to go sit down. With a little bit of hurry, she moved to the open seat and sat down, digging through her bookbag.

Crap.... where was her textbook? She glanced through her stuff, realizing with growing dread that she must not have grabbed it. Lovely. She could have yelled about her bad luck. Sitting back up, she did her best not to seem to obvious about her misfortune, looking forward at the teacher with as calm of an expression as she could manage.

While Justin was currently sitting in the back row, he knew most people hated the back of the class because of how many times the teacher used his projector. That was when he noticed the new girl that had taken the front seat walk in. He felt bad, since she clearly had wanted the front seat like she had before, but there was nothing she could do about in now. He'd taken notice of the growing frustration from his classmate beside him.

Then the lights were turned off, and the teacher was now using the terrible projector that looked completely fuzzy from anywhere but the front row. While looking over at her, the girl clearly didn't have her book with her. He knew he wouldn't need it, since he always copied every note down by hand. Softly he placed his book on her desk. "Just give it back at the end of class." He whispered softly so the teacher couldn't hear him, and started to write the notes down by hand like he'd trained himself to do.

April blinked a few times in surprise as she suddenly found the textbook sitting in front of her. She looked over at the boy who was slipping to her, a little concerned that he might be hurting his own grade in the class by doing this....

But he didn't seem concerned. She took the book from him and smiled a little, feeling a little bit of relief pass through her. That was one less thing for her to have to deal with at least. She mouthed a thank you to him and opened it to the page she needed, grabbing a piece of her own paper and beginning to scribble notes from the text.

As she did so, she glanced at him from time to time. Did he just have the notes memorized or something? Or was he just ahead of the rest of the class. It was possible either way... she just chose to count herself lucky after a while.

Class passed quickly and the teacher finished the notes a bit early, telling the students that they could use the rest of class to study. The lights came back on and chatter filled the room.

"Hey... uh... here," she told her classmate, handing his book back to him. "Thanks again. Umm.... I don't think I ever got your name?"

Justin only smiled when she mouthed him a silent thank you. He really wasn't to worried about anything at the moment. He tended to get like this when it come to anything he was focusing on. He seemed to zone out as he would look up occasionally to see the new notes, and then went back to writing. He tried to write everything the teacher would say.

The pure concentration on his face had to be a sight to see, and was one of the reasons he was always sitting in the back of the classroom. The class seemed to flash by pretty fast, as without much of a warning the teacher had ended the notes, and boom. Just like that, Justin was back out of his trance-like state. The smile returned to his face as he stretched his hand a bit.

As his book was handed back to him, he took it and slipped his own notes into the book for later. "My name is Justin." Looking up at her, he gave her a soft smile. "And you would be...?" He politely asked her, while hoping to at least get a conversation started.

"April. I'm a little new around here. Moved in about a week ago with my mom. Started school... day before yesterday, I think. I'm already losing track. Kind of sad," she explained, pushing her hair from her face.

"Anyway, I'm still adjusting. And seem a little prone to forgetting stuff, so... yeah. Thanks for the book. I really appreciate it. Did you really not need it for all those notes? I can't imagine doing that without the text in front of me."

"Eh, it's easy to lose track of time around here. Not much goes on it seems." Justin spoke, while he looked over towards her with a soft smile. "If you need any help getting around, I'd be more than happy to help you out."
"Oh, I've always done it. I have to keep the grades up in order to be eligible to play on the Basketball team." He shrugged, and whispered. "Plus the rest of the basketball team will be asking for them later, so they kinda rely on me to do it. I really don't mind, since they are all really good guys."

That very scenario actually played out right before her eyes. One of the other suit wearing basketball players walked over to him. "Hey bro! You got the notes?" He asked, to which Justin simply pulled them out of the book and handed it to them. "Just make sure I get them back!" Justin called out as the other ran off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom