Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Open Call for Critics to Help Improve Role Playing Style

Cosmic

Super-Earth
Greetings and salutations! Thanks for checking this out! My friend and role playing partner Darkened Knight thought we would try something new. See we love working together, and I think we can both agree that we have helped each other's writing immensely, however there comes a point where having the same person critique your writing over and over doesn't necessarily point out new things. (Nor does it help you in processing criticism if it's always coming from a friend.) After a short discussion, we have decided that it would be an interesting idea to open our thread When the Chips are Down For the public eye in order to critique flow, wordplay, continuity, general story and idea, and offer advice in terms of violence, gore, and character development. (Little bits of grammar advice are welcomed too as I NEVER find those buggers until after I post and I have to re-read and edit multiple times. DK giggles at me for it.)

DK and I feel this is different that critiquing a story or poem, for many reasons, the first being that role playing is a partnership with another individual which really has it's roots in theater improvisation in many ways. We may discuss story, upcoming events, or characters, but in the end we do not control what the other posts or how they post it. That in turn effects what we are able to post or how we are able to do so. Another huge way we feel this differentiates itself from stories and poems is the fact that it is a combined creative effort. In a role play, people have to work together in order to create a story. Literally half of any story will be up to your partner. Because of this, the ability to smoothly transition from reply to reply is extremely hard, where in other creative works this is much less of a problem, if a problem at all.

Due to busy schedules and a very serious desire to craft a story--rather than a work of smut--this thread is by no means long enough to give a huge idea of the plot just yet. We understand that, and how that might seem kind of dickish to ask people to comment on something that is not even off the first page yet. We also understand this is a weird thing to request. But as people who are always trying to improve their story telling abilities, role playing became a natural way to practice. I have a thread I need to update containing some of my original work, however I will admit a lot of my energy in crafting "legit" stories comes from role playing now. It's honestly a lot less creative pressure to share a burden of world-building, characterization, and attention to detail with someone rather than by myself. That said, we have only a few things we want to get out of the way so everything is understood.

• 1) We are not opening this role play up for a group.
          2) Do not post in the ACTUAL thread if you have any comments/critiques. Post here.
          3) We will gladly accept any words you throw at us, however as the writers we hold the right to ignore things. Don't be upset if your suggestion does not get put to use.
          4) Non-critique comments are nice I suppose, but we are honestly looking for constructive feedback. "Good work" "Awesome job" "[insert bland compliment here]" doesn't help us improve. (Even if it does give us unwarranted self importance)
          5) We thank you from the bottom of our cyber-hearts for you taking the time to read this and help us.

Back
Top Bottom