Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dragon Singer

FoxWriter

Cluster
for thousands of years, the City of Therinsford has been protected by a dragon, the mighty beast chasing off kings men and raiders alike, as well as beasts that might cause Harm to the human population that he protected. every month the townspeople gave him a large beef cow as payment for the impressive protection. the choosing of the cow was left up to the Priests, but once every ten years the massive beast requested something else, on the first day of spring, every ten years, he was given a human woman, the prettiest woman in the city, also chosen by the priests. it was that day, and everyone was frantically getting everything working and ready, constructing the large carriage that would Carry the Dragon Chosen. instead of riding on the Dragon's back, or in the dragon's claws the Dragon Chosen rode in the carriage in safety and comfort.

the bells began to Toll, the loud chiming attracting the attention of the entire town as the prettiest girl in the village slowly, stepped out of the temple and down the street, dressed all in white as she slowly moved over to the long platform that would bring her to the Dragons head when he appeared, you could see him in the sky now, his massive black wings blocking the sky for a moment before he landed in front of the platform, his massive green eyes examining the woman before he did something he had never before done. "i do not wish to have this Female." he growled suddenly, everyone gasping in armament, the young woman collapsing in relief as she sobbed, so overcome with emotions and joy that she wasn't being taken away that she had started to sob. "i want all females, age ten to twenty to gather in the large stone clearing." he ordered with a growl, the priests bowing, everyone looking in astonishment, whispering and muttering in shock as those who had been ordered, wither walked themselves, or where forced into the massive town square.

The Dragon stood above them all, proud and regal as he examined every female as they walked in, his long forked tongue tasting the air before he suddenly stood and walked to the middle of the group, lowering his head to stare into the eyes of one specific female, breathing in her scent with one, long, almost never ending breath before releasing it with a pleased sigh, his hot breath, smelling strangely sweet, ruffling her hair and clothing. "You." he ordered, straightening. "you, are The Dragon Chosen." he stated calmly, turning his head to look at the large comfortable carriage she would ride in everyone looking even more astonished, whispering as the Dragon's eyes remained fixed only on the woman that he had chosen.

Bane-for the girl had been gifted with a name both a curse and a blessing. For bane was the clumbsiest, most recklessly brave girl in her section of town, and her mother had sought to give her warning to anyone that met her, that she would be a bane of anyone's existance should they come in contact with her. Instead of the fear that gripped the others around her, or the astoishment, Bane Arenson looked at the dragon in awe as she raised a hand to rest her hand on his muzzle, fingers stroking over the soft supple sclaes. She would be afraid later, like always, but in that moment it was another reckless brave journey she was starting on.

Stepping back she looked at the dragon's eyes as she raised her other hand, resting her hands against his narrow jaws to keep steady as she rested her cheek against his. "Lord dragon, shall I ride in the carriage? Or since we're changing tradition, should I ride in a taloned foot?"The girl, not beautiful by any standards, fairly plain considering the woman he had turned away, but beautiful in her recklessness. Beautiful by her personality instead of face. The eagerness for a adventure lighting her whole face, so instead of being the ugly duckling her classmates called her, she was beautiful.And very curious on why a dragon wanted her.

the Dragon let her touch him, another thing that he had never before allowed, and he sniffed her again, impressed by her bravery, he knew she would be brave, he had waited thousands of years for her, and there she was. "you will ride in the carriage, for the journey is short but dangerous, and my claws cannot handle you without causing you damage." he admitted calmly leaning down and picking her up by the back of her shirt like she was a puppy, dangling her precariously in the air before setting her down next to the carriage, turning to the people of the village. "From this day forward, i will require no human women. only Cows." he promised before nudging Bane into the Carriage, gripping the top with sharp talons, spreading his wings and leaping into the air once she had the door shut. the ride took ten minutes or so, but with no windows it must have felt like an eternity to Bane. finally though the Carriage jerked as it was set on something solid, and the door was pried open with sharp Talons.

"Step out human female, and tell me your name and your age." he ordered calmly, sitting beside the carriage. they where high above the world, in a chilly world that was as green as could be. there where flowers and thick clean grass everywhere with pockets of snow here and there, the only hint to how cold it really was. the Dragon emanated heat though, so as long as she stayed close to him she wouldn't be cold. "this is my home, and now it is yours as well little one." he admitted standing up and padding towards a massive cave. "come, into the Warmth and we will talk."

he led the way deep inside the mountain and into a massive hollow deep inside of the stone that was fashioned just like any Kings castle. large cushy couches and armchairs, a roaring fire and good food set out on a massive table. "please, eat and rest, i am sure you are confused as to why i would need a human female." he chuckled a little and settled into a massive nest made up of hundreds of large blankets. "i will not be able to answer many of your questions, but i will answer what i can, and when you are ready, you will know everything little Dragon Singer."

Bane did indeed look confused as she followed after them, swallowing hard as she looked around. Shivering a little as she stepped away from him, not cold really, just starting to feel her bravery fail and starting to realize that everything had changed.The no windows had made her anxious and nervous."why?Why change your mind, and require me instead of the girl the priests had chosen?"She asked curling up on the couch, wrapping her arms around her knees as she looked over at him, before starting a little.

"I am Bane Arenson,and I just turned 19."She said smiling at him a little, looking nervous. After all, she was worried about how much her reckless bravery had gotten her into trouble.While she knew she'd always been yearning for another life, this...this life she wasn't sure. But sh was willing to see if she could live as a dragon's prize.And she was worried that if he knew her name, then he wouldn't want her. Wouldn't want the trouble child that no one else did.

He stared at her for a moment as she curled up on the couch, sighing a little. "because of your blood." he admitted calmly. "your scent called to me, i knew you where the one i had been searching for, for thousands of years i have looked for you, and you alone." he stated calmly, his eyes fixed on her. "the women before, have only been to get your people used to giving up their women... that, and i do get lonely, once they lost their fear of me, they where wonderful companions." he admitted simply. "as i am sure you will be." he admitted running his forked tongue along his arm, cleaning the soft, but diamond strong scales. "Bane Arenson... a good, strong name." he chirped. "i have no real name of my own, but many others have taken to calling me Drake." he admitted calmly. "why you are here yourself, and why i have chosen you, that must remain a secrete for now." he admitted. "you are not yet ready to hear Dragon secretes." he admitted standing slowly and moving over to the table, snapping up an apple with his tongue and swallowing it without even bothering to chew.

"you have always been different, haven't you Bane? this is why you have that name yes? you are awkward around other humans, you are dangerous in some form or another, clumsy, or a temper, or simple accidents happening when you are around." he grinned at her, revealing sharp rows of teeth. "your blood, your soul is very special Bane, and here, you will be safe, and as comfortable as i offer you." he admitted. "starting, perhaps, with this." he began to shift and shrink, groaning as he appeared to be completely human, stretching out his new body, staggering a little and grabbing a chair to steady himself. "it is very hard to walk on only two legs..." he admitted wiggling his bare toes. he was naked save for a pair of old and tattered pants, and he offered her a grin, revealing still rows of razor sharp teeth. "perhaps you will be more comfortable with me not being so large?" he asked smiling a little at her.

Human Form

Bane had bounded to her feet as he stumbled, intent on catching him. Having not even paused to consider that he wouldn't need help, or that she'd just seen a dragon become a man. Looking startled as he found his feet she looked up at the taller man, smiling a little.While she had wanted to know the secrets, the dragon was ancient, and it would be like pulling teeth to get him to tell her anything. So she would be content to just let him tell her as he thought she was ready."Yes. I have always been different...my mother said I was a bane on anyone's existence."She said almost sadly before perking up again looking him over.

"You are more comfortable like this. More easily hugged."She said smiling, before blushing as she realized what she had said. Giggling a little, feeling awkward before shifting to look around, eyes a little wide. Because she had heard of the dragon's treasure, of a dragon's knowledge. Despite everything, she had every intent of raiding the knowledge in wanting to see what the world had forgotten, and only this dragon knew.

he smirked at her when she bounded over to him, clearly intent on helping him, shaking his head a little. "you really are an unusual female." he admitted simply, looking her over his head tilted. "you are a bane on no one." he promised. "you are just different than what they are, that is all." he promised simply reaching out and gently stroking her face. "i know that look in your eyes Little Dragon Singer." he admitted smiling. "it is a look that all Dragons have, a thirst for knowledge." he smiled a little and started towards the back of the cave, into a long tunnel that led into a massive room filled with piles upon piles of books, and a massive pile of shining gold, gems, jewelry, and even pieces of tin foil and shiny chunks of metal. "anything in this room that you wish to touch, read, or borrow you may, but do be careful with them. some of these books are very old, older even than i am." he admitted moving into the room and pointing to an opening. "that room is the only room you are not allowed in, it contained very dangerous things, and you will be harmed if you go in there."

he turned and headed through the middle of the library, down another tunnel into a massive bedroom with an even more massive nest, an enormous fire roaring to keep it warm, though there was nothing burning, it was just fire,which meant there was no smoke, how lucky. there was a smaller partition made of thick sheets and Blake smiled a little. "this will be your room." he stated simply, indicating the partition. "the last woman here liked a larger bedroom, but you can do with it whatever you please." he promised calmly. "i go to other villages three times a month, yours is only one of four that i protect, so if you wish i can take you to one of those villages for shopping and the like." he had no doubt that she would calm down, and start wondering where the other women went, what he really needed her for, dangerous questions, but for now he was perfectly content to entertain her with a tour.

Bane looked around, the large wide eyes nearly filling her face as she took in the dragons treasure. So distracted by the treasure that she just nodded along to what he was saying, and gave a bare glance to her room. At the moment, she'd probably rather be sleeping in the room with all the books, in a nest of old leather and paper.Looking around she paused in the middle of her lookings, looking over at him.

"I can buy whatever I wish in these villages?"she asked, looking at him, for the moment pushing the thought of the other woman away. because she didn't want to think about where they ended up, or what happened. She would...she would content herself with his company, and with the access to a dragon's horde, and not think about the women until he left her no option or if the question started eating her alive."How would I get there?You said I would be hurt riding in your claws."She mused, not what she wanted to know, but it was the first question that came tumbling out of her mouth.

he smiled a little as he watched her, looking amused as he shook his head. "yes, anything you desire, i have plenty of gold to buy anything you wish." he promised calmly. "and you will not be riding in my claws." he admitted. "i have a large covered basket, it is lined with fur and blankets so you will be warm and comfortable on the ride, the other villages are used to this." he admitted calmly. "i carry another basket on my back for the things we buy, so you will not have to fret about sharing your ride with groceries." he teased shaking his head a little. "please, make yourself comfortable for the night, in the morning we will go to Shahara and get you some clothes." he promised. "i will not reveal my human form to the villagers, so please do not mention it to them." he ordered calmly sniffing at the air as if trying to seek something out. "do you have any other questions to ask?"

She tilted her head watching him sniff the air, before giggling a little. The idea of him with a basket, was cute. So cute in fact that it was amusing. Shaking her head she sighed,rubbing her eyes. Starting to get sleepy now that she thought about it."No.Not right now."she said before bouncing closer, kissing his cheek lightly before walking to the nest of blankets and pillows. undressing to her otherthings like she did every night she smiled as she crawled under the covers, starting to fall asleep under his protective gaze.

he raised an eyebrow at her, his head tilted a little as he shook his head at the kiss, and moved over to the fire, blowing on it so that it grew bigger and warmer before joining her in the massive nest. he didn't normally like sleeping in human form, but if she preferred him like this, then he would remain like that for the most part. being a dragon he didn't need to sleep for long, and he had a nice breakfast waiting for her when she woke in the morning and a nice pretty dress laid out next to her that he had found in his hoard of treasures. there where hotcakes and fruit waiting for her at the table, and he was still dressed in the same ratty pants as before. "good morning Bane." he stated calmly, indicating the table. "please, eat." he ordered calmly. "in that pouch is your monthly allowance, please spend it however you wish." inside was enough money to buy her whatever she wanted, a new bed even! and all the clothes she could ever have wanted.

Bane's eyes went wde at the sight of that much gold, having never seen that much before. Swallowing hard she smiled as she kissed his cheek before sitting down starting to eat."These are very good. Thank you Drake."She smiled happily, already thinking about what she would buy. Already planning the small change of clothes, then books. So much more to add to the dragon's horde. Some like her parents would have caused her lazy for wanting to lay around and read, but she knew the dragon wouldn't put her out."How did you sleep?"She asked looking at him after a moment to see how he was doing.

he chuckled a little and smiled as she kissed his cheek. he had already eaten if the dishes where anything to go by but he still sat down with her and nibbled on breakfast pastries until she was done, waiting for her to get ready before leading her outside to a massive woven basket which was lined with Egyptian cotton and silk and large soft pillows. he carefully helped her into the basket and spread into his massive Dragon form, gently settling the lid over the basket, but unlike before, there was a little window that she could open if she wanted to look out and see where they where going. the flight took much longer, almost a full half hour before he landed, stretching a massive space, miles upon miles to a place she never would have made it to in a lifetime, the massive city nothing like what she was used to, filled with bright colors and happy laughing people, it was like a massive carnival. he carefully removed the lid and lifted her out of the basket and set her on the ground, nudging her with his nose to get her moving. "enjoy yourself Little one, buy what you want, see the shows." he looked up at the sky. "be here when the sun is high in the sky." that would give her four or five hours to do whatever she wanted. at least she wouldn't be stuck in the cave all the time.

Bane looked around her wide eyed looking around as she yelped as he nudged her. before looking amused as she bounced up to kiss his scaley cheek before nodding."I will.I'll see you then!"She said grinning as she bounded off into the crowd, her bag held tight in her hand as she started looking. When she returned to the square she was holding a bag of clothes, and a even bigger bag of books, the stack nearly as high as her head, having actually had to drag the books behind her to get them into the square."Drake!Did you know they had ballet shows here!?And more then one bookstore!"She grinned up at the huge dragon.

he chuckled as she raced off, grinning a little as he yawned and lowered his head to take a nap, letting the village children crawl all over him without a care. this village treated Drake like he was a tame pet, giving him many treats and food, just all around showering him with gifts. he saved them on nearly a monthly basis, the pirates on the cove next to the city never learned not to screw with the village, so he had to come by at least monthly to chase them off yet again, so they where very happy to have him there. he smiled when she appeared, his long horns and ears covered in flower wreaths and golden jewelry from the locals, even his wings had glittering jewelry all over it. no wonder he had so much money to spend on her, they kept giving it to him. "ah, let me help." he ordered calmly, picking up her bags carefully and lifting them into a massive basket that was filled with food of all kinds, some of it still hot. "you liked the ballet did you?" he asked, amused lowering his head and sniffing her to make sure there where no hints of fear or blood on her, just checking to make sure she hadn't been harmed in any way. he didn't expect her to be but he wanted to make sure. "would you like to stay a little longer and see some more shows, or go him and unpack all those books you just bought?" he asked looking amused. "you know, i have plenty of them, you can ready any of them that you like you didn't have to buy your own."

Bane smiled sleepily having run around so much that she had actually exhausted herself before dark. Grinning as the flowers and jewels she leaned against the side of the basket laughing at the sight of the dragon so covered."Oh no.Not tonight.Maybe another day."She said leaning against his cheek as he sniffed at her, nuzzling him for a moment, for the moment so sleepy that she wasn't even really aware of doing it. Probably intending of sleeping as soon as she got in the basket."But-there's so many books!I've never had books of my own.And these are all new books!Not ancient ones that you had. I wanted to make the library bigger!"She protestd looking so happy that you really couldnt laugh at her for wanting her own books.

he chuckled a little as she leaned against him, well aware she had exhausted herself, frankly he was amazed he hadn't had to hunt her down, most of the other women tried to escape their first excursion out to the massive city. speaking of other women. "Drake!" the woman was utterly gorgeous, dressed in clothes that only made her look all the more gorgeous as she rushed over to him. "i thought i heard you!" "aaah, Arissa, Bane, this is Arissa." he stated simply. "she is the last 'Sacrifice' given to me." he admitted with a low throaty laugh. "she actually tried to throw herself out of the carriage when i first took her home." "oh your so lucky Bane! Drake is wonderful, he taught me how to read and write and do math." Arissa admitted beaming at him. "i'm an apprentice to a bank!" she admitted Drake chuckling a little. "good! i am glad that you have a life now." he admitted gently picking Bane up and carefully setting her into the basket. "sleep little one, your exhausted." he teased smiling at her. "good luck with your apprenticeship Arrisa." he stated calmly, spreading his wings and setting the lid of the basket over Bane so she could Nap on the way home.

Bane smiled waving goodbye to the last sacerfice, curling up in the bottom of the basket, content to nap now that they were on the way home. Not even thinking it was odd that she'd come to discover that she felt more at home in a dragons den, then in the town. When they got back to the den she was quiet until he helped her out of the basket along with her things before smiling peacefully, still waking up from her nap."Did you get all the other women from my village jobs?Is that why we never see them again?"She asked curious now that she'd met one of the other sacerfices that he'd taken.

Drake smiled a little as he gently lifted her out of the basket, heading inside and setting the much larger basket onto the floor of his den shaking off his 'decorations' and smiled at her. "yes, i taught them what they needed to know. in the city you where just in, Dragon Tributes are honored." he admitted. "i teach them everything they need to know, and take them there, and they are given good jobs, happy freinds, and very often, loving husbands and wonderful families." he admitted calmly. "they appreciate what i do for them, and i appreciate the company." he admitted shaking his head. "they never return, because they know if they did, they would be shunned from their people... it is easier for them to remain in the city, where they are happy and accepted." he admitted smiling at her. "go to bed little one, i will put everything away and clear some space in the library for your new books." he promised gently licking her face before nudging her towards the bedroom as he shifted back into human form and started putting everything away.

"You are a good person...dragon drake."Bane said smiling as she watched him for a moment before stumbling off sleepily towards bed. Hours later bane yawned as she sat up looking around her for the dragon before looking thoughtful, getting up and going to search for him."You know you're not supposed to stay up and sort my things. I could have done it when I got up drake."She smiled sweetly at the man sitting on the floor flipping through the books he hadn't read before as he put them away. Leaning down she leaned against his back, even sitting his head came to her chest. Kissing his head she smiled contentedly at him.

the dragon smiled at her and shook his head. "i wanted to read the new books." he admitted calmly. "i didn't touch your dresses." he promised. "i did not wish to ruin them in some way." he admitted chuckling as he handed her a book, the oldest one he knew. "i think, that perhaps you are ready to know." it was so old the cover was cracked and pealing off, the pages so brittle you almost didn't dare turn them. it was only a few pages long, but the words where crisp and easily understood. "there are spells on the pages, do not worry about accidentally harming the pages, you cannot do so." he promised, standing slowly and leading her into he dining room so she could sit at the table and read. the story was simply written, but it explained everything.

Long, Long ago when the birth of man was still new, the Moon Mother shone down on Man and smiled for they where many and kind and loving. the Moon Mother was at piece with the world, but the Sun god was jealous of Moon Mother and her creations, and created monsters and beasts to destroy man. the Moon Mother cried, and as her tears struck the Earth, Dragons where born, spreading their massive wings, and swearing to protect mankind they rose into the air and spread out across the world to do what they had been born to do. but, the many different kinds of Dragons soon began to fight amidst themselves about who was best to protect man, and began to war with each other. the Moon Mother was sad, and sang from her heart and put the dragons into a long, deep slumber, leaving awake only one Dragon, who was born of her new tears of Dragon's greed and pride. He was told of what was happening, and he wept for the loss of the Dragons, who where left sleeping. the moon mother also went into a long sleep, resting in the earth itself until the day came that the Dragons would begin to re-awaken, and be reborn in human form as a female. she would become the Dragon Singer, and would be the key to ending the Dragons war with her Dragon song.

Drake watched Bane read, wondering if it was too soon for her to know, but he could feel the others shifting in their dens, beginning to wake, and resume the war that had driven the moon mother to such lengths.

the reborn moon mother frowned slightly as she read, tears filling her eyes as she wiped them away, careful to not let them drop on the pages as she looked up at drake. Shifting to wrap her arms around the waist."I am sorry that you have been alone for so long, searching for your singer. But I shall help you find her. Surely the new moon mother would be easily found if she is here."she smiled up at him waterly, looking worried about him as she hugged him tighter. Understanding the fact that he was the only dragon in the world but totally missing the fact that she was the singer. She was smart but her heart bled for the dragon who'd been alone that she was blind to the rest of the meaning.

he chuckled a little as he wrapped his arms tightly around her, gently nuzzling the top of her head. "ah my little Dragon Singer, i have not been so lonely, i had human women to talk to." he admitted. "i have never known my own kind, but they are waking deep in the earth, i can feel them shifting and stirring, and soon they will restart the war that you put to a short halt." he admitted softly. "you see, i cannot accept your help finding the singer, because you are the Singer my little Moon goddess." he admitted gently stroking away her tears. "this is why you are so clumsy, you spent eons in a form of pure light, you have never needed to walk before. and you are hard wired to prefer dragons, the species you created, so long as one lived, you yearned to be close to it, even if you where unaware of it." he admitted gently nuzling her again. "you are the singer i have so long awaited." he admitted softly. "but it must be your choice to go into danger. while they wake, i will teach you your heart songs, and then, you can only be the one who decides."

"Ohhh..."Bane breathed softly, the words filling her with a new purpose, a new understanding. She hadn't been a bane on anyone's life, she had been adjusting to actually having a life. "Oh,yes.I will help you."She said softly leaning against him as she cuddled the dragon she wanted, trembling a little as she realized that a war was going to be coming, and that she would be the one to stand between the world and utter destruction. She did not want to,but she knew that she must. Because she was the only one that could.

he smiled a little as he gently nuzzled her, wrapping his arms tightly around her. "fret not Little Singer." he murmured. "it can take them years to wake up." he admitted. "you have plenty of time to relax and adjust to your new life." he promised kissing her forehead. "come, let us have out meal, the villagers packed many foods and i think you will enjoy many of them." he admitted with a smile, nuzzling her forehead again. "you need not put the world on your shoulders yet Bane." he promised. "you can have fun, and a life before you consider taking on the Dragons."

Back
Top Bottom