Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bending the Rules (Frungallo and Shards)

Shards~Of~Roses

Supernova
Alexa Morgan gave a grin as she watched the slim-ball of a man being carried off kicking and screaming different threats her way. In truth she ignored it as the smirk disappeared from her face the moment she saw her partner nearing the apartment complex from the window she was standing at. Three stories down she saw her partner nearing the yellow tape as she knew the fact she had came here tonight without back up and no warning to her partner was going to get her in some major trouble. Earlier that day that had interviewed the suspect on the murder case they had been working on. Only this time she had actually let him touch her as she made it seem like just a simple hand shake as she lost contact with the subject she was sweating and seemed to be having trouble breathing. She had seen what he had done to the young woman and knew where there was evidence on the very property they were interviewing him on. Yet they had no cause for a warrant.

Alexa knew that she would going to have to come back and give the police reason to come and seize the suspect and his resident. She knew if she was to confront him he might try something in which the cops would be called that she was for sure. Only it got a little out of hand, she thanks the heavens that there had been a patrol car near by when shots fired was called in. While she hadn't been shot the guy actually managed to get a good knife wound on her upper left arm. It was deep but she was lucky it didn't need stitches. The paramedics were on their way to work on her as she was actually still bleeding from it. While the neighbors had done just what she thought when the struggle began as it usually happened when cops come looking about during the day they get on high alert for a while afterwards.

Still as one of the cops came to her she told them that there was evidence that the killer had confessed to her about having. It was actually the knife that had slashed her, the very same knife that had killed the other woman. They bag and tagged it as she turned to sit down as she was getting a little light headed yet knew she would be fine as she added more pressure to the wound.

Mitch Harlow trudged to the scene, his face bearing a tired expression. Had he been more awake he'd be furious about the situation. The one day he decided to sleep, and bam, phonecall. "Mitch, we got the guy you and Alexa talked to. He attacked..." the rest of the call trailed from his memory, he was far too tired to remember. As he slowly ascended the stairs, he noticed the man being carted away. He looked pissed, glaring at Mitch. 'Definitely the bad guy....but how did she find out it was him?' He thought as he glared at the perp. A mixture of feelings crawled in his mind as he continued to ascend. Anger, Tiredness, but most of all he was impressed. Still, he had to chew her out for so much as confronting the perp without him.Mitch's eyes were immediately locked on Alexa's wound, a bit of shock showing on his tired eyes. "Alexa! Jeeze you alright?!?" He exclaimed as he darted to her. The bitching would have to wait, sadly.

Alexa looked up her face blank like usual as she didn't like to show too much emotion anymore. "Yeah . . . he just got a good hit in. Its nothing" she said as she pulled away not wanting him to touch her still she waived a bit as her head spun she gave a slight groan from it as the hit before the knife wound had been a strong one against the wall to her head. She was sure that it would be hurting tomorrow then again if she got lucky the chief would give her the day off once she turned in the report. "The knife he attacked with will be a match for the one that killed the victim. There was even some dried blood on the hilt before he attacked with it" she stated as she was sure the victims blood and her own were mixed on the blade. As she felt her eyes growing a little heavy the paramedics came into attend to her as she jerked away from their touches only to sense their worried thoughts as she swayed again. "damn it" she growled her eyes glazing over a little bit.

"Damnit, you could have at least waited for me" Mitch replied. That was about the most he'd bitch about now, seeing as she was bleeding kind of bleeding right now. Before he could even get her the paramedics arrived, curious as to why she was jerking away from them. 'Does she really hate help this much? She seems so...distant...' he thought. Questioning and bitching would have to wait as he turned his look to the paramedics. He had a feeling she'd live, but he was still worried. He'd lost quite a few partners before, all of which did exactly what she did, rush in without him. Course she was way more successful than the others, having actually found the murderer. He noticed her eyes looking heavy and immediately took her hand. "Damnit stay with us!" He said. 'I'm not gunna lose another partner, not like this!' he thought.

As he yelled at her she let a laugh go as she was actually shocked he seemed to be rather passionate about what she had done wrong. Her other past partners usually let her do the work and took all the credit. She never really complained only as she felt the two paramedics touch her to calm her the rush of thoughts and emotions just had her head swarming again. It got worse when she felt his hand grab her own as his fear and memories of past partners deaths came to the forefront of her mind. It was so strong she was soon out cold falling forward against him as she was grateful for the darkness took all the emotions away. Though her mind still stored the information she received from mind transfers. The paramedics moved quickly to get her in the ambulance after she passed out. She had lost a good bit of blood yet as they checked her out they were concerned for a concussion as they started to try and take care of her they looked to her partner. "Do you wish to ride with her?" they asked. If he came with he would find the Assistant D.A. waiting for them in the ER. While Markus had never met Alexa's new partner he had requested him thinking that the fear of loosing a partner would make the male look after Alexa more. "How is she?" he asked Mitch, as the one thing no one really knew was that Markus was Alexa's adoptive brother as his father had taken her in when her parents were murdered when she was sixteen.

Mitch's heart sank so low, he thought it would burst through his foot. "ALEXA!" He shouted as she fell onto him. He clinged to her for a moment before the paramedics took her away. 'Damnit damnit DAMNIT!' he thought as he rushed with them. Soon as he got the offer to ride, he didn't even nod. He immediately jumped in and took her hand. 'Stay alive damnit. You reckless bitch you.' he thought. Unknowingly making it worse for her, he started thinking about his previous partners. How they did what she did, and died for it. How he felt like he failed all of them, and how Alexa would be another person he let die. Once they arrived to the hospital, she was immediately rushed to ER, as Mitch was forced into the waiting room with Markus. Mitch sauntered in taking a seat and holding his forehead. "Medics said the blood wound wasn't so bad, but she might be suffering a concussion. So honestly, I haven't a fucking clue" He replied as he looked to the ground. "That's another partner I let down, another one I let die" He whispered.

Markus looked to Mitch as he told him what the paramedics had stated to him nodding his head he held out his hand. "I'm Markus Assistant D.A. and Alexa's brother" he said as he introduced himself. "Though she won't admit that" he said with a soft smile. While he was worried he had seen the fact that Mitch had been holding Alexa's hand when they came rushing in. "So you like to break her no touching rule uh?" he asked wondering if he had been given the pleasure of seeing her really go off on a person for touching her yet. If someone bumped into her half the time she saw the worsts things they did in their life the first time she touches them. Which was why it was so easy for her to catch a prep for she knew what crimes they committed just by a mere touch.

Mitch looked up at him, taking his hand and giving it a shake. "Mitch Harlow. A miserable detective" he replied as he stood up, walking to the vending machine to get a snack. As he put the money in, he heard about her 'no touching' rule. A smirk crept on his face. "Well I've broken many rules, but I take it you already know that" He said, reaching down and snagging the bag of chips. "But don't worry, her hand's all I've touched and all I intend to touch" he stated, struggling to get the chips open. "God these...fuckin'...." he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small knife, popping a hole in the bag and opening it from there. "There we go" He mumbled, eagerly popping a chip into his mouth.

Markus heard Mitch's introduction and gave a chuckle. "yes I know i was the one who asked chief for you to be placed with her. She tends to get out of hand and even more so when she knows that someone is using her. From your file it seemed you would be the only guy to actually care about their partner and not see her as some freak with a touching problem or some chick to get into their pants" he stated as he leaned against the wall. "Now for that touching thing . . . you really shouldn't touch her. I know it might sound strange but it hurts her to be touched by people she don't know or trust yet. Sorry to say it'll be a while before she fully trust anyone besides myself" he said with a sigh. "Look you really didn't hear this from me. But when I say it hurts her I mean it really hurts her when people touch her. When you really get her trust she'll explain it" he stated as he looked down the hall where they were working on Alexa now. She was getting stitches and being given some pain medicine but they found no reason for her black out as she hadn't lost enough blood for it. So decided that she would be kept overnight to be careful. The doctor came out looking about until he saw Markus. "Markus and you must be her partner right?' asked the doctor as he was referring to Alexa. "She seems to be alright she had to get twelve stitches for the wound. We are giving her a blood transfusion just to make sure she hadn't lost too much. After for her passing out as she did we can't find a true cause to it. She has a minor concussion but no serious damage so far. We'll be keeping her overnight just to be safe and if all goes well she'll be released tomorrow" the doctor stated as this wasn't Alexa's first time in here as the doctor was actually the one that had saved her life years back.

Mitch took Markus' words in, starting to piece together why touching would hurt her. 'She must have had some bad men in the force mess with her. Assholes' he thought. "Heard what?" he asked, giving Markus a wink. "Heh...in all seriousness, I don't think I'll need an explanation, but I'll definitely refrain from touching her." He said as he popped another chip in. "You're her brother yes? Could you tell me why the hell she's so distant, so stubborn? She went after the perp without so much as calling me." He asked before the doc walked in, giving them the good news. "That's great to hear!" He said happily. 'Thank God' he thought, sighing mentally. 'Maybe I can find out what makes this girl tick, and prevent this shit from happening again' he thought.

Markus looked to him as he heard that the guy would hold back on the touching. He knew that while he and his father could touch her it was only because that was rarely anything new for her to take in from them. Though as Mitch asked if she was really his sister he gave a nod then thought on how to answer that question only the doctor came up. He listened and then gave the doctor his card with instructions to give her the best care. "Well the simplest way to put is in a very short span of time everyone seemed to turn their back on her and betray her but myself and father. She use to be a little more open with others no after the accident and the constant betrayals she hasn't really let anyone get close. My father and I took Alexa in. She's not my blood sister but my adoptive one. She was twelve when her father was murdered by her mother. Then the accident and her husbands betrayal along with her own partner all within days time. Yeah she doesn't trust anyone anymore." he said with a sigh. "So far no one's stuck it out with the way she treats people now. Not that I don't blame them." he stated shaking his head. "Kinda why I picked you hoping you would stick it out" he said with a sad smile on his face as he knew he just put pressure on the male before him. "Look if you ever find shes pushing herself call me" he said as he pulled out his business card. "I'm sure I'll see you around after all I am your assistant D.A." he joked before heading out as he had work in the morning.

It was only a couple hours later that Alexa started to wake up while in the hospital. She felt tired yet her head was much clearer now as she laid there. Her mind went straight to her new partner as she remembered the memories and the fear that came from him. It would seem he had lost partners and was now already fearful of loosing her. She never really meet someone who got attached to someone so quickly before.

Mitch heard the story, all the while thinking 'damn...she's been through a lot of shit. No wonder she's so cold'. He still didn't grasp why she finished the case without him, or how in that matter. Nothing pointed to him. He shook it off and nodded. "Sounds awful. Trust me though I've dealt with more than just stubbornness and the cold shoulder" He said with a grin. He quickly finished off his chips before seeing Markus' card being passed to him. He swallowed them in one gulp and took it. "Uh, thanks. I'll definitely give you a ring if she acts up..." he said, thinking he wouldn't need this card. He slid it into his jacket and took a seat, watching him go. "take it easy...Markus"

He'd sat in that waiting room for nearly an hour, waiting for a confirmation to see her. 'How long has she been out? Is she alright?' he thought, rubbing his head stressfuly. The wait was killing him

After an hour a doctor came back telling him her room number and gave him a pass. It had taken a while for them to get the room set up. After all the Morgans were the richest family in town and everyone knew it as her adoptive father was a Multimillionaire that would give everything he owned to have Alexa retire from the force. Yet she kept doing it hoping each time to help others more than herself. Even now each time she came in contact with a mind as tainted as a killers it seemed she closed herself off more and more. In truth Markus hoped that if she found someone to love and trust again they could help her push out the thought, memories and emotions she felt transfer over when she touched them. Moving the bed to have her sitting up she looked about noticing the IV and blood bag that was pumping into her. She gave a sigh as she knew that she was going to get a talking to with her father.

Before her father arrived, however, Mitch was her first visitor. As soon as he retrieved the pass he immediately stormed to her room. Opening the door calmly, he noticed her eyes were open, staring at the blood bag. "Hey there, reckless" he said with a smirk, walking into the room and taking a seat. "Mind uh, telling me why you just went after the guy we talked to yesterday?" He asked, his eyes narrow, serious. Within' those hazel eyes was a hint of sorrow, still shook up about the thought of her dying. They'd been working together for one case, and this happens. He could get answers now, but he didn't think he could explode on her just yet. In fact, after all this he really didn't feel the need to.

As she heard the door open she looked over seeing her partner she started to brace herself for one of the many lectures she was about to get while Mitch and the chief wouldn't understand it all her brother and father would be more upset with her. "Yeah I . . . just had a few more questions for him. I was near the area and decided to head over." she said as she stopped there in truth she had seen his thoughts about him leaving tonight to get away from the charges he thought were coming. "Good thing I did he was packing to leave. When I asked where and all he started to attack pretty much spelling it out that he was going to kill me with the same knife he killed her" she said as she knew that part wasn't exactly the truth. The prep had told her he was going to kill her but never that it was with the same knife, it had been here that told him that she knew he had killed the girl and the knife in his hand was the same one.

Mitch wasn't buying all of it. It sounded believable but he wasn't trusting all of it. "You couldn't just wait for me? If you had a few more questions why didn't you ring me? I..." He put a hand on his head and looked at her. "Look, I've had about three partners that did exactly what you just did. They all freakin' died okay. They were killed more brutally than the victims we were trying to avenge. I don't know what you guys think, weather you want all the credit or wanna be some big hero or whatever. You're my partner for a reason, so we could work together." He stood up, adjusting his fedora. "You pull a stunt like that again, and you can consider our partnership over" He said, walking to the door.

Alexa looked to him as he actually seemed rather upset that she didn't call and how she had taken it in her own hands. Looking to him she felt that maybe next time she would actually call him. Though as she heard him speak about his partners the memory flashed to the front of her mind as she nodded her head. It seemed the rather big man before her had just as big of a heart. "Alright . . . I'll remember that for next time" she said as she leaned back against the bed happy she had adjusted it as moving too much made her arm hurt. "Sleep late tonight" she said to him as she knew how he was actually very tired.

Mitch looked back at her, giving her a happy smile. "Thanks Alexa, sleep well yourself" he replied as he walked out of the hospital. As he walked home, he took a better look at that business card Markus gave him. He had a feeling he might not need him, but kept the card none the less. Tired from the drama in a day that just started, he trudged back to his home, tossed his hat on his messy table, and plopped right into the couch. He was far too tired to make it to bed. Sleep came swiftly to him, his mind surrounded by his past. Eyes slowly opened as he gazed at his dark apartment. "Ngh...how long was I-" before he could finish, he noticed Alexa's body hanging from his door. Her arms and legs stapled to the door. His eyes widened in fear, before the body started twitching. Her head rose, eyes missing and crying blood. "Why did you let me die Mitch? Why did you let me die?!?!" She yelled. "I...I didn't mean I..." A hand broke through the floor and grabbed him, a torso crawling out of the floor. "Why did you fail us Mitch? What did we do to you?". "I tried to get to you I...why did you go without" "DON'T PIN THIS ON ME, YOU LET ME DIE! YOU LET US ALL DIE!" With that, the corpses of his partners started bursting in, surrounding Mitch, devouring him. Mitch sprang awake, his eyes wide and his chest in rapid motion. It took him a moment to calm down before laying his head back on the couch, holding his chest. 'Damnit...I don't know how much longer I can do this' he thought, turning over to get a better position. Only to see Alexa's face mangled, bleeding. "Save me" she whispered before Mitch woke up once more. Panting moreso, he started checking the couch for any more 'corpses'. "Ugh..God damnit" He groaned, looking outside. He didn't get much sleep at all from that, but there was no way in hell he would be sleeping again soon, not after that.

Alexa nodded her head as she gave a soft sigh letting her eyes close and falling asleep once more. She knew it was strange for her to really sleep but when she had a dream about her partner she knew that he needed something from her. While he didn't know he needed her help when she woke from the dream she knew it. His emotions alone the time he touched her told her what she might be helping him with. Still as the night turned to day and her father came with the chief both giving her long winded lectures about how she was wrong to do what she did she wasn't sure what to say. She would bring up the fact that she hadn't be killed and how she was fine but seemed to do nothing for them. The chief gave warning that she was going to be pulled off the murder cases for a while and placed with thief cases with her partner. Hoping that it would teach her to not to do it again. Though she was just thankful it wasn't rape cases that she was going to be sent she couldn't handle those. Still as she was released from the hospital she started towards her place on the upside of town. She had a nice condo in the city of Angels, still she rarely went there. Her arm in a sling as she went up to her place she wondered how her partner was doing. She figured she would give him a call and tell him that she was out. Picking up her cell she dailed his number. She knew that they had the day off today she also knew that he needed to be told they were put on thief duty.

Wearing only his Jeans, Mitch was sitting at his couch, drinking almost all the coffee he had. He hadn't gotten a lick of sleep since that dream and he wasn't going to try to sleep anytime soon. He preferred his coffee with a lot of sugar, but he was too tired to put it in, or even taste the difference in flavor. His eyes would start to drift, unable to resist slumber, until his cellphone went off. Eyes shot wide for a moment before turning to the phone. 'Ugh...what' he mentally groaned, answering the phone. "Hello?" He asked in a grumbled, tired voice. He sounded worse than he did when he left the hospital.

Alexa sat down as she heard him pick up. The sound of his voice was off as she gave a sigh. "Hey its Alexa i was wondering if you wanted to come over. The chief had us taken off the murder cases and I thought I might make it up to you for what I did" she said as she felt that he needed to get to her place then she could figure out just why her mind was telling her that he needed something from her. "I'll order us something to eat and some have a few drinks" she offered hoping that he would come over. She wasn't sure if he would but she felt as thought her was worse off if he stayed alone.

Mitch sounded rather upset about this. Taking down murderers was the reason he joined the force in the first place. But he knew if he kept up more cold murders he'd either quit or lose his mind. "That'd be nice, yeah. I'll be over in a moment uh...where you live again?" He asked. 'Hmn....food and drink, that'll do me some good.' he thought. He was also wondering why Alexa was being so nice all of a sudden. She was usually cold and seemed like she couldn't give less of a shit about him. Still, he was more than happy for something other than ramen and coffee.

As she listened to him become upset about it she started to think maybe she would later suggest that he find another partner so to keep out of trouble. She knew it wasn't his fault that they gotten taken off the murder cases. "Yeah up town condo's. I'm the penthouse. I'll have to buzz you in" she said to him as she really just couldn't believe that he seemed so out of it that he forgot where she lived. It was often talked about how she didn't need to even be working with everything already paid for in her life. Still she felt others should take care of those who couldn't take care of themselves. "I'll order some mexican what would you want?" she asked as she knew that right now she couldn't cook at the moment with her arm in pain the way it was.

Mitch started thinking about it. He hadn't had Mexican or, well, anything good in a while. What could he get to make it worth it. "Uh...Quesadillas...like, chicken and steak quesadillas. Loaded with cheese..maybe rice too." He said, sounding like he was waking up for a moment from the sole thought of good food. He stopped himself before saying "Uh, course if that's a bit too much I could just get some rice, don't want you paying too much for me." His stomach seemed to disagree with his decision, growling so loud she could hear it over the phone.

Alexa wrote down what he said as she heard him seem to perk up a little at the thought of food. Only when he seemed a little uneasy about how much it might cost her she felt like laughing for the fact that she had money to spar. "Its my treat plus cost don't matter" she said to him. "If you really feel you must pay me back then you'll just help me here and there I can't do much for a few days with this arm" she said as in truth if it wasn't for her bluetooth she wasn't sure how she would be talking with him and writing as she really couldn't move her arm to much or risk pulling out the stitches. "Alright i'll see you when you get here" she said before hanging up. She went to pull out the to go menu's she had in her kitchen she wondered if she should try and actually get to know him. She wasn't sure but just the emotion of concern she got from him before she knew that maybe she shouldn't take him so lightly. Finally after finding the menu she called the place up and put in the order getting as much as she wanted figuring she could have leftovers to warm up later.

Back
Top Bottom