Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

never mind, let this die.

Monstro.City

Super-Earth
I kinda addressed this in a different style of thread before, but I've been here for a few days now, and I've only been asked to start a couple RPs with my request thread getting near 150 views. I also sent out a couple PMs to other RPers, and never got an answer, even though they've been online since I sent them a message.

So is there something I'm doing wrong? Maybe not writing enough in my thread? Or am I just expecting too much too soon? I've been known to be impatient, but perhaps I'm hoping for courtesy where none is needed?

RE: Am I getting the cold shoulder?

On views without a response, its just like online dating. One reads it, decide if its for them or not, then PM if so. At times I get slammed and other times I experience a dry spell. If you look at my 'main' request thread down there on my sig, it has all my ideas, trying to offer something for everybody, yet has not been bumped for a long time. It got so freaking long that many probably skipped it. So I have a few one-here-one-there for whatever mood I am in. Just keep trying, reasonable placed bumps (i.e. not spamming with multiple bumps for one or many threads per the rules).

As for not getting a response, I can tell you some may be in recovery due to the holidays! Since so many here are also in college, exam season also murders some RPs. I myself had to work both Christmas and New Year weekends – 9 days in a row – putting me not just behind but in a 'meh' mood. Yes, its aggravating, but I found myself no longer caring and just go with the ebb and flow.

PatricioINTP said:
On views without a response, its just like online dating. One reads it, decide if its for them or not, then PM if so. At times I get slammed and other times I experience a dry spell. If you look at my 'main' request thread down there on my sig, it has all my ideas, trying to offer something for everybody, yet has not been bumped for a long time. It got so freaking long that many probably skipped it. So I have a few one-here-one-there for whatever mood I am in. Just keep trying, reasonable placed bumps (i.e. not spamming with multiple bumps for one or many threads per the rules).

As for not getting a response, I can tell you some may be in recovery due to the holidays! Since so many here are also in college, exam season also murders some RPs. I myself had to work both Christmas and New Year weekends – 9 days in a row – putting me not just behind but in a 'meh' mood. Yes, its aggravating, but I found myself no longer caring and just go with the ebb and flow.

Aah, I gotcha. I guess I'm just kinda like the new kid that's excited to join the rest. This is one of my first adult RP sites, and I wanna see what it can offer, ya know? Thanks for the input though! And I totally understand where you're coming from with the long work week.

How's Skyrim treating ya? ^^

I was adding something else when you responded! And I still have my Skyrim sig? See! Forgetful! Anyway, I was going to say creating, editing, reloading the page (as I just did) and maybe also posting would/could inflate the 'real' number of views. At times I think, "Oh, that RP idea sounds good!" while at work viewing it on my Kindle. Putting it in easier to read article mode adds a view. Sometimes Kindle boo-boos and loads the chat screen instead. Return to page (+1 view), go home, return to the page again (4 views so far), send a PM, go back (5 views!) to read it again to see if I can anticipate... etc....

Oh, I am over 200 hours in Skyrim but taking a break to play catch up with other games. Besides, I wish they will release the Creation Kit already. Once they do, I'll fiddle with it and hopefully make my ideal follower. Right now having a brain-banging-keyboard headache of a good time with Spacechem.

@ darkangel - Ack. I can't seem to place my threads right, I'm sorry!

@ Patricio - Aah, that's a good point too. I mess around with this site on my phone, so it's usually just a couple extra views.

Skyrim has been a lot of fun, but I think I overdid it in the beginning. I'm playing some older games for now; bioshock, dead space, and dead rising 2.

Like someone else said. Think of RPing as online dating, minus the attachment to the individual and purely the matchmaking parts. Your thread is your ad... telling us about you, and if we're interested, we PM you or post or whatever. If someone doesn't like your "dating site" ad, why should they respond to you? You're not compatible. It won't work.

Don't get hung up on those who do not respond to you. Clearly they aren't worth your time. They won't give you their time so why waste your time wanting to give them yours? Just wait it out.

You might also want to consider something you may be doing to misrepresent yourself. Perhaps you could reconstruct your thread, or reword your propositions to other RPers. Look at the threads that are gettign plenty of views and responses. Chances are their interests in RPs are just appealing to more people than yours, that can't be helped. But maybe the way they wrote it and the details they gave out drew more people in.

And never pester anyone who doesn't respond, it definitely won't help. If they didn't respond, there's a reason they didn't respond and its not fair for either of you.

Heh, I've never really even tried to put together a dating profile, but I can understand that. Seems girls have a bit of an advantage... Whether that be because of numbers or otherwise. I've been patching on some improvements here and there to my thread, just hoping.

Thank you for the input! ^^

Back
Top Bottom