Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Reluctant Pact (RetroXBlueLurker)

"You see, this is one of those things about the road. You meet all these wonderful, charming people who think enough in the way of sharp pointy things will make you want to do what they say."

Kieran rolled his eyes and gave a quick nod to Thea- he wasn't backing down.

"I just don't know how you can trust a man who's obviously looking for a free service- because if you expect to live after you deliver us, well, I wouldn't make any further plans for spending that money, because you'd never make it out. On the other hand, there's no way we're going with you, so you find yourself in quite a conundrum- you can take a sure thing, and walk away clean, with actual money to show for your troubles, or you could come forward and try your luck. You might win, you might end up gutted like a six-stone trout after- but if I were you, the sure thing sounds pretty nice to me."

He'd pull the second blade he'd gotten at the shop with his free hand and cross them, tapping them three times before separaing them, holding one high and one low.

"But it's not like I'd hand the woman of my dreams right over to you now, would I? Beautiful... smart... talented... and a tongue that can carve your ears off at thirty paces. You think I'm going to let anyone treat her as potential harem material, then we're going to have a problem."

He hadn't meant to say all of it, but the sheepish grin on his face kind of confirmed it- despite whatever Thea thought of him, he was obviously attracted to her- and he wasn't about to let anything separate them.

"Told you I was full of surprises, didn't I?" he muttered in her direction while he kept himself between Thea and the newcomer. He quickly took stock- he'd have to steal the idea of the spiked boots if they stopped, but as long as he kept him moving, well... he wasn't going to let him have his way if it meant them being sold off and separated. There was still so many things he hadn't annoyed her about, anyways...

"Mercutio Moonrider does not look kindly to the threats of little boys," he replied with a grin. The canines he showed were sharp and ferocious in appearance. "I am not going to capture you now anyway. What fun would it be if I were to simply cut off your head and take the spoiled brat back?"

Even if he was being paid by Lord Firk to track and capture Learthea, he liked the thrill of the hunt more than the money and this was going to prove to be a very nice one. Even if he wasn't sexually attracted to the half elf, seeing the fear in her eyes and the struggle of her swanlike body would satisfy him. Was there not beauty in suffering? Weren't tears a litany that calmed the soul? Even despair shined with a radiance that Mercutio could hardly fathom but reveled in nonetheless.

"I am sure the both of us could take you on," Laerthea said sharply. "You do not look as tough as you are acting like you are."

Though, really, the blonde was positively terrified. She was frightened of how glib the dark elf was being to the whole situation. He acted as if nothing fazed him; didn't care how armed they were because he was certain that he would prevail. Her eyes shot in the direction of Kieran as he spoke, hoping that he was trying to cut the tension with humor. Love? Her? They had just met the two of them. How could he know that he loved her?

"Yes. A sharp tongue indeed," mused the dark elf with a wry little grin. She pursed her lips at him and he laughed. "I'll tell you what. I will stop chasing you. How does that sound? You two entertain me with your idiocy... of course, I will ask for a small thing. To be named at a later date."

"Wait, what?"

"High breeding did not do well for you, I take it? I am saying that I will let you go... join you even. A ranger would be a nice addition to your small group."

"A small thing to be named later... sure. Only by that time, you'll know just how to drive a wedge between the two of us. You'll ask for something or to do something that will hurt one of us a lot, and you'll enjoy doing it at the same time, because that's just how caring and wonderful you really are. Besides, like she said, I can't trust you."

There seemed to be a fire in Kieran's eyes- one that he was only barely preventing from causing him to simply leap at Mercutio.

"Somebody tried the same thing with the guys who raised me. Sure, he could hold his own in a fight. Pretty good cook, too. But he wormed his way into our little company and set all of us against each other, doing favors in return for little 'things to be named later'. Two months later, I come back from a hunting trip to find all of them slaughtered- the result of a fight between friends that had gone too far- and our new friend going through our equipment, taking his pick of what belonged to my friends. They taught me plenty, stranger, and right now, you remind me ever so much of him."

He would lower his stance, getting ready to charge.

"I'm not above making deals, but your type of man is one I can't stand. I'm not going to let a viper under my blanket simply because it promises not to bite me- and then end up surprised when it does indeed, for such is the nature of the snake."

His lips would curl up at one side.

"Like you ought to know."

He hadn't thought on his past in years- just... not in the decade since it had happened. He'd been trying hard to suppress that memory because it drove him into a rage, every time he remembered seeing the man kick over the leader of the company- the man he'd looked up to for eight years.

"You think I want your copper-pence equipment?" He asked in a bark-like laugh. "No, if I were to take anything, anything at all, it would be something I could get real gold out of and I would tell you about it, too."

Laerthea thought about this. What she did not want so early in the chase was a fight like this. Mercutio looked like a he knew his way around a blade and appeared to be a bettered seasoned battler than Kieran. Not to mention having a ranger on their team would likely be helpful. They could talk to trees and stalk shadows and even had an affinity towards some animals.

"Kieran, maybe we shouldn't be too hasty to fight. He may look suspicious but think of out predicament right now. He's a ranger; he's basically built to stalk and to kill." she said softly.

"Ah, she actually does have something between her short ears."

At that comment she turned bright red. 'Short ears' was a comment that referred to her half blood heritage and was normally used as a derogatory term. She grinded her teeth together.

"You best watch your tongue, sir, or I may not be so generous in continuing negotiations."

"Perish the thought."

He was gritting his teeth, but he would lower one of his blades. They WERE in desperate straits, that was for certain, but this was the kind of thing that gave Kieran a very, very bad feeling.

"...fine. I'll hear him out- but none of this 'thing to be named later'- I want to know what we're getting ourselves into before we agree to anything. Thea, there are bad people out there, ones who will take advantage of you for even the littlest thing. I will not see that happen to you. Give him money, promise him jewels. But if he asks for what I think he's going to ask for, I still might gut him, no matter what you say. I've had to deal with the aftermath of those kinds of deals before, and it takes a lot of alcohol or time to make the dreams go away."

He was still tense, but at least he was wanting to hear him out.

"Talk, then. What do you want in exchange for coming with us? Don't keep playing mysterious, either- if I travel with you, I know our terms. That's how I know I could tolerate you- if there aren't any 'things to be named later'."

He hoped he knew what Thea was getting into, but at the same time, his mind was taking him to places he didn't want it to go.

He honestly hoped there was a strong flask of something in the packs.

Thea heaved a sigh of relief. At least there would be no bloodshed for the next few minutes. As self-centered as she was she did not want anyone to become hurt. Not this early on. With a quest like this she knew there would come a time where it was necessary but, for now, she wanted to keep things as peaceful as possible.

As if knowing what was going through Kieran's head, Mercutio laughed again. This was so very rich. "As much as I could make off of 'the love of your life' in the North, I do not want her so calm yourself. Unlike everyone else in the providence, I was not effected by that spell and I know who the halfbreed really is. When we find a way to get rid of Lord Firk, I would like a pardon of all of my crimes. That and a fair share of any treasure we may find. I can't be working for free you know."

"A pardon? What sort of things have you done?"

"Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? I am just sick of having to remain in hiding but the old system is likely far better than what that madman has planned."

Laerthea thought about this a moment. This was a hard choice. Should they put their trust in a stranger that they had just met? Kieran did not seem to think they should. In fact this whole business was putting him on edge.

"How we know we can trust you?" she finally asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. "How do you know you can trust anyone? You hired that fellow and you did not know him. In fact he seems more interested in what's beneath your frock than the actual journey, though I don't see what he sees in you. Uppity Southern women never appealed to me."

He wouldn't be kidding if he didn't relax- even if it was simply a small amount- at his words. It had been those years on the road talking, and it was hard to just stop the same lines of thought. Young love was hard, after all, and it wasn't like he'd had the same instruction in the social graces that she'd had. He seemed to always see the worst when it happened- though he was perfectly fine with throwing himself into it, if need be.

"If it was simply that, well... there are plenty of bar girls around who would spread for the right amount of sweet talk and coin. She can not only take what I give her, but she can give it right back. There's no challenge in a prey that can't fight back, and I'm happy to be traveling with her. Your opinion doesn't matter to me as far as she's involved... I might even brave a court ball for someone like her."

He would lower his other blade, tapping it on the ground.

"If she says you can come- she's leader, and I'll follow her judgement- then I guess I'll have to tolerate your presence. But that doesn't mean I'd trust you- and as far as her trusting me, well... I showed up, refused payment to help her, and I believe her story- and I'm kind of sick of following things just for the payday. Better things to do than chase a coin."

He relaxed a little bit more, but slid the blade in his off-hand home and patted Thea on the shoulder.

"If you think he can help us, then he can come along. I can guarantee I'll be civil, but think hard on this one. Okay?"

This was a tough decision for her. There were so many things to think about. What if the dark elf decided to go back on his deal once she accepted him into their party? What if he was simply trying to fool them into think he was on their side? She did know one thing though; he was a strong fighter and likely someone who would be able to help them out considerably before he decided to betray them.

"I think we should keep him with us for awhile," she replied. "If he tries to betray us, we'll kill him right out."

"Kill? That seems unlike you," Mercutio mocked.

"If I am put to dire straits I will not be afraid to take your life and, I am more than certain, that my companion would be more than willing to do so if my will fails me."

Yellow eyes seem to narrow on her; a look of amusement dancing in their depths. His cat-like pupil becoming more slender as he analyzed the expression on her face and the jittery annoyance in her stance.

"Noble children are almost the same in every culture. Brats who are filled with hot air but can not do anything on their own. If I were of half a proper mind I would slay you where you stand and put you and your love sick dog out of your misery... but I am a genteel soul."

Thea sighed and gripped her staff more tightly. They could argue back and forth all day and get nowhere. She had a feeling that this Moonrider would purposely say things to get beneath their skins and enjoy every second of their discomfort.

"Let's just keep on heading to the East."

"She brings up an excellent point. The longer we tarry here listening to you try to bait us into an unnecessary fight, the closer we're going to be when morning hits- and I feel that the further away we are, the better chance we have of not getting caught."

It was obvious he had his reservations, and might be planning to voice them at a later time, but for now, he was happy to go along with her judgement. If she wanted him along, well, at least he'd be there in case he tried anything funny.

"This is how I see it working- if he's so good in the trees, he takes point. We follow him until we hit open ground, then I'll take over. The more we seem like a couple of wanderers, the better our chances will be to pass undetected. Mostly because if they're seen working with us, they'll end up in a dungeon or wose if we get caught."

Kieran sheathed his other blade, and tried to let the tension out of his step as he turned away. If he was half as skilled as he claimed to be, they'd make it east without a problem. But again, he hardly knew if he could trust him not to throw them straight to the searchers at the first sign of trouble...

"Come on, let's go. We've wasted enough in the way of time. Go ahead, show us the way. Unless you have other plans?" he'd ask.

Mercutio grinned at the two, basking in their clear annoyance. There would come a time where he bored of grating on their nerves. While he did enjoy the suffering of others he tired quickly on their mere chagrin. In a few days he would not care for the pair's reactions any longer and would simply endure their boorish behavior for the governor's clemency.

"You need not worry too long," he said as he stifled a yawn. "You two will soon cease to entertain me and I'll leave your egos be for the remainder of the trip."

Without saying anything else he moved to the front of the group. Kneeling down he pressed his hand to the Earth and closed his eyes. Thea could feel the magical pulse that he sent into the ground and how it vibrated through every plant and even to the very tops of trees. They sent a pulse back that the blonde could not understand but a flicker of recognition passed the dark elf's features.

"The quickest way through this forest is a path not too far off from here. Its overgrown and not many travelers know about it, even less use it. We are lucky as there are not ferocious beasts that are lurking within its depths."

"Well," Thea quipped. "Other than you."

Mercutio ignored her and stood, silently walking in the direction that would lead to the road out of the forest. She shot a look towards Kieran, waiting on him to continue on. For some reason she wanted to walk beside him; get to know him better. Perhaps his premature expressions of love had flattered her somewhat or maybe she just much prefer his company compared to the rude dark elf.

He quirked a grin as Thea finally turned some of that carving wit upon Mercutio. It didn't look like it'd really gotten a reaction, but it furthered his opinion of her- a woman who wasn't going to be pushed around was a welcome change from the street corners where a large enough purse could buy you almost everything you'd desire.

He'd stop besides her, pausing as if to check his weapons, but instead asking her a question.

"I hope you don't mind if I bother you with questions... you know, we barely know one bit about each other, and yet I've dne things that would have usually gotten me smacked around pretty good, at least. So, I was wondering... do you mind talking for a while? No touching, no grabbing, no simply trying to push your buttons- pretty sure our new friend here's going to excel at that- but just getting to know each other. I don't know you as well as I'd like to, and I'm fairly certain you're wondering if there's more to me than some guy who likes to grab beautiful elven women. I'll even give you the honor of first question, if you like."

He grinned as they started moving forward, taking the first step at almost the same time. Maybe there was more to the both of them than either expected.

"At the very least, you'll be much more fun to travel with than he'll be- mostly because I'm not in the mood for getting into some stupid insult-trading that might end up giving away our position. Though you're more than welcome to call me a few things. I don't mind."

They would end up following the path being broken for them, Kieran waiting for her first question.

"I think he's a little busy anyway," Thea mused as she looked ahead for a moment and noted the strange movement of Mercutio's ears.

Her? Well there was little to know about her. This was her first great adventure so she had no interesting stories to tell. At least none that interested seasoned explorers like Kieran. Going on about the training and tutoring she received would have been boring. Telling him about the scrutiny she faced because of her heritage didn't seem like a good way to go about their first true conversation.

"You can go on about yourself first. I am sure you have many interesting things to regale me with. The life of a noblewoman is... boring to those who have known different things. I am sure that balls, politics, and whatnot are trivial matters compared to everything you've experienced."

With some of her agitation quelled, the half elven brat was well mannered for the most part. Being stressed brought out the worst in her and this all was very stressful. Knowing that she had more than one person on her side and knowing that she was within good hands made her feel much better in comparison.

"Not that much to me, actually. I don't know where I was born. Just remember a lot of fire, lots of screams, and waking up in a strange tent with a guy with one eye. That's how I fell in with them- Petros, thier leader, apparently had a soft spot for kids. He waited until I was all cried out and offered me two choices- either a trip to an orphanage in a big town, or I could travel with them and earn my keep- and learn how to make something of myself."

He'd kick a pebble out of the way and simply continue. "Mind you, I was eight years old and scared out of my wits, and I didn't want to go anywhere by myself. So I started handling the grunt work for the Phoenix Rising- that was the brigade's name. Running water, digging edible roots and the like- if you're interested, I could make you a salad of forest greens that'll impress a fancy chef. But the other thing I learned was to handle myself. Petros gave me a dagger the day after I started with the Phoenix, and told me that if he ever saw me with it unsheathed in a situation where I wasn't needing it, he'd tan my hide. I pushed my luck trying to show off, and before I knew it I was getting my rump tanned like he'd promised. Never crossed him again after that- at first I was too scared not to, but later he told me he didn't want to find me fallen on the blade after I was trying too hard to look fancy. 'Trying to look good only gets you killed- better to just go in and get it over with,' he said. I followed him out of respect after that."

He'd look up, stretching his arms above him as he watched the leaves go by.

"When I'd been with the brigade for four years, trying to attain my place in it, Petros set me down, poured me a shot of something, and told me the truth of what they did. 'Freelance adventurers, for fun and profit. We take the jobs that others won't- mind you, lad, we're no saints, but even we have standards- and if you step over them, you'll wish I'd sent you to the orphanage.' His words exactly. Not that I minded- the rules were quite simple. If you truly believed in someone's cause, you worked for free. If you were hired and lied to, you were free to bleed the client of any and all cash they were willing to part with, and then walk away- if you're not telling us everything, we can't trust you, so we'll just go ahead and clean you out. Finally- and this is the one that concerned how I treated you in the beginning- make sure women who are going with you really want to get out of town for a better reason than to spite a father or husband. I ignored that rule once, and it lead to me really paying for it- and I didn't get coin one out of it, either. The first time I got hurt badly, it was from a hunting party after me for unknowingly kidnapping a merchant's daughter- it was back east about four years ago. One of the search party's hunting dogs damn near mauled me to death- took a massive piece off my back. I think I passed out- and all that happened because daddy wouldn't pay for a few more horses. She came to me, said there were evil men after her, and had to skip town. As a result of that, I treat new female clients harshly at first- I have to make sure they're serious about running. Though you could have done a lot more to me than that dog ever could, I'm well aware."

He'd look over to her and shake his head.

"Took me two more years until I was skilled enough to wear the brigade's colors- red, white, and yellow. They were so happy that they decided to go to town and really 'make me a man'- at fourteen, they got me roaring drunk, and apparently I spent the night being broken in by one of the girls that hung around the tavern we stopped at. I don't remember much beyond my third drink. I know, I know. It's a letdown. Feel free to mock if you must."

He looked down at his feet for the next part, watching his boots scuff up the plant material upon the round.

"Two years after that, and they were gone. All gone. And I was alone- a young guy wearing the colors and symbol of a dead brigade, one that now only existed through him. So I started on my own, and it's a different place when you don't have anyone looking for you. People who give a group a good deal will actively try to take advantage of you in the most unsavory ways possible. Some of the horror stories I heard- of inns with doctored food and standing contracts with slavers... of groups who would let you join them, just to sell you off while you were sleeping... and worse. I've heard and seen things that would curl your pretty little toes right up, Thea. I'm forcing all this upon you so you don't end up like them. More than one young adventurer has gone north because of plots like that, and I'd never forgive myself if you had the same fate. That's why we're going to work together. I'm going to teach you how to hold your own- drawing and fighting all those daggers, to start. Then maybe archery, as well. I'd get you an easier-to-pull bow, sure, but I don't want to see you without any options. So lessons start tonight, no matter what you say- even if I have to jump on you to get your attention."
He seemed serious at that last part, too. Not about the jumping-on-her, but that he wanted to sharpen her into an actual adventurer- and bring her into his world, like it or not.

"So, your life... what was it like before all this? Anybody special in your life, or am I pushing too hard? I wouldn't mind hearing your stories if you have them- I can read and write, sure- Petros needed someone to read contracts and things for him, and he insisted it should be me. I've never been to a court ball, never been allowed near a palace. I mean, come on- could you imagine me horrifying partygoers with battle stories and frightening the upper crust with what the world is truly like outside thier walls and fortified homes? You'd be hanging on every word, I'm sure, but the others- well, it'd be an interesting party, at least. Give them something to think about."

How could it be that someone so young had so many terrible experiences? Thea lamented her lot in life because of this one mishap but he had so much more sorrow. Guilt curled in her stomach. Kieran may have even more calamitous stories to tell by the time everything was said and done, if he survived that was. Part of her wanted to tell him to go and leave her with Mercutio to save himself. Yet another part, that selfish little girl, who wanted him beside her. The two barely new one another but she did not want to be parted from her. Since Lord Firk had taken over not one person other than Kieran that showed a sliver of kindness without wanting anything in return.

When he mentioned of the groups that had deals with slavers, she paled considerably. It was good fortune that he had found her instead. A frown pulled at the corners of her mouth. Another reason why she decided not to let her remorse over his past get to her; what if he wasn't there when men like that showed up? Mercutio likely would have fed her to the dogs just to get ahead for himself, pardon or no.

"My life was full of tedious lessons from tutors," she replied with a sigh. "I had magic lessons, as any noblewoman would, but I was never expected to use my skills. All of the qualities of fine breeding were forced into me; the arts and lessons on the flute were normal. I learned to ride horses like a proper lady; on side saddle. Dances and duties that bored me were common. There is really nothing more from my life than you'd expect."

And that is what made it truly pathetic. In all of her years, she realized, she hadn't quite fully lived. She switched her staff to her other hand. Already the blasted thing was starting to feel heavy but it was what she had chosen. It was hers now and she would get used to the weight.

"I do not know if I can learn all of the things you want me to. I have been trained for other things my whole life."

"That sounds like an excuse to me," muttered the dark elf as he walked on ahead of them.

She grumbled because, for once, the bastard had been right.

"Well, you learned magic, didn't you? I don't think I could ever learn it- and giving up before trying isn't really your thing- if it was, you would have surrendered yourself already. You are a much stronger woman than you give yourself credit for- and believe me, you'll learn. I might even deem you experienced enough to wear the colors of the Phoenix Rising- I guess I'm in charge of it, now... but I guarantee you, you'll pick it up."

He laughed, but then gave a sigh at the end of it, a quick glance skyward.

"Sometimes I used to wonder if I should have let the brigade go... I mean, I don't know the half of running one- but I do know that it's a good thing I didn't. So, pretty much, the short is I'm with you, even if you don't want me around- and after we make it through this, well, you could come travel the world with me. No stuffy parties, no boring duties, and you'd get to put all those magic skills- and fighting skills, once I'm through with you- to some better use than just sitting around and looking pretty. It's not a bad life- once you get used to it- and it's always good to have someone you could trust by your side, right? Of course, I'd like something in return..."

He thought for a moment- until he realized she might be thinking he'd ask to share her blankets.

"Maybe... you'd play a flute for me, sometime? It's a stupid request, I know, but... I'd bet it's really good. Most of the time, the music I've been exposed to has been half-drunk poets struggling with a grossly out-of-tune harp, or trying to keep a beat for a bunch of dancing girls. It'd be kind of nice to hear something played well- and not have to struggle to hear it over shouts for ale and yelps from groped girls."

He looked over at her, the hint of a smile on his face.

"I wish there was something you could teach me in exchange- but let's face it, fingers that hold a blade and feet suited to a battlefield aren't exactly suited for a court ball. But, like I said, I'd certainly liven one up."

There was a price to pay for magical skill like hers, however, and that was physical strength. Perhaps she could learn to wield a smaller bow as a long bow's weight would be too much for her. A short sword would likewise be an amiable weapon for her. Hearing him go on about how strong he intended to make her was making her think that, maybe, she could.

"I do not think I could travel with you after this," she told him in a hushed tone. "Adventure is lovely in all but I have my responsibilities as a noblewoman."

Namely that her life was forfeit to any political game that was being played out. Marriage for the highest bidder; an alliance to bring more power into their providence. Her mother had done the same to some human duke from a distant land to form some sort of peace treaty. Despite how spoiled she was, she did understand the gravity of her situation given to her by birth... and she loathed it some days. With new-won freedom at her fingertips, she wondered if she would be able to easily return to that sort of life.

"I will once I find a place to buy a flute. It wasn't something I thought of carrying with me. When I left it seemed like a pretty useless thing to carry with me."

Mercutio rolled his eyes and looked back at the two. All of their jabber was grating him. His venomous yellow eyes boring holes into the pair.

"Hearing you two bleat like goats is making it difficult to catch the vibrations of the forest. Wouldn't want me to lead you into a thicket briars? The queenie-poo probably wouldn't like to have her face torn to sunders by thistle brush, would she?"

"Point taken. We'll be quiet until we are out of the forest."

"People can change, Thea. Besides- I wouldn't let you dodge one form of slavery just to see you willingly take up another in the life of a noble."

This grin seemed genuine, as he looked at her.

He would remain quiet for a while, just enjoying her company.

As much as he wanted to tell Mercutio to buzz off and shove his head into said brambles, he did have a pretty good point. They did have some basic supplies in the packs, but not enough to field-dress anything major. Tending to a number of scrapes and cuts from a fall in some bramble bushes might make them burn through thier supplies faster than needed.

After a while, he would look around, curious as to thier location.

"How much farther is it going to be? We should have hit a trail or road or something by now, shouldn't we?"

He knew they were still heading east, that much had been certain. But it seemed to be taking a while to find this pathway, or whatever he was looking for. It wasn't like they could stop, either- he was certain that fairly soon, rough sketches of the two of them would be hitting the walls of the city, along with massive bounties for thier return. It would be better if they kept moving- if anything, it would keep him from having to trade barbs with thier newest member.

His question earned a snicker from the dark elf and he shook his magnificent head. Clearly the human had not been paying attention whenever he was speaking to the pretty blonde. The scenery around them had changed considerably. The trees had thinned out and beneath their feet was a path that got wider as they traveled.

"We have been on this path for awhile now," Mercutio replied. "You just got distracted by a big pair of... eyes."

Thea rolled her eyes and shifted the weight of the staff in her hands. The sun had just started to rise. She could tell that by the color of the sky as it faded from a deep indigo to a blanched orange hue. It was still dark as sin within the taiga, however, and she was grateful for it. A few more minutes coverage was a blessed thing for those who needed the shadows to survive.

"Are we almost out of this forest?" she asked. "We've been travelling for what feels like hours now. My poor feet are about to fall off."

"We're almost out. Don't worry your precious head about it. The town we'll be entering is going to be militant. We'll have to be careful how we proceed. No doubt Lord Firk will have sent word ahead about you to every town in every direction and, with that mound of hair, you'll be the easiest to recognize."

At this she balked and, with her free hand, tugged on one of her glorious curls. It was beautiful hair and she did not want to change it. However he was the second person to mention that the locks were an easy identifier.

"Well, they're really nice eyes. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them." he countered, ignoring the innuendo. But he'd turn to Thea and give a wan smile.

"I hate to agree with him... but the very least you could do is dye it. If dye won't take, well..."

He looked away and tensed up. She might actually hit him for the next comment, he figured- it looked like she really loved her hair.

"...you might have to cut it shorter."

Well, it was out there. He'd continue on for a few seconds, in case she didn't just light him on fire or something.

"I know, believe me. It may not be the same, but I didn't want to paint over the brigade colors on my equipment. It was like that until I almost got myself killed by a gang of thieves who had been sold a line that 'the guy in the red and orange has a lot of gold in his pockets'. Had to leave in a hurry, and I'm pretty sure I'm wanted for paint theft, but it worked. Lots of people use the blue-and-white look."

He stopped himself- comparing his gear to her hair? Oh, that was going to endear him... if by 'endear' you meant 'get himself shocked or burnt alive'.

"I'd be willing to help you, at least... I doubt I'll have to change anything. I tend to blend into crowds sometimes, and I'd wager that- besides present company- nobody knows what I look like, or that I'm helping you."

The very thought of cutting her hair caused her distress. It would take a long while to grow back; her hair didn't grow at the same pace as normal human hair. Tears rimmed her eyes and an audible sniffle shuddered her whole body. Thea was vain and she made no attempts to hide it. Why should she? Very few compared to her in physical looks; no sense was had in trying to play coy when it came to her appearance.

"My hair is not some dirty old gear," she replied harshly. "It is my crowning glory! I could not possibly do anything to damage it!"

Mercutio whipped around, eyes glowing softly. His lips were pulled back in a snarl, showing impeccably white teeth. Truly he was a frightening creature and she took a few steps back, colliding with Kieran.

"Is your hair more important than your life?" He hissed.

"I don't take well to thre-"

"It is not a threat! Its a question. Beautiful hair will mean nothing if you're dead. Lord Firk won't care how lovely you are. He won't care how glorious your hair is. All he will see is a target that he either wants dead or, worse, enslaved."

Visibly she was shaken by this and she trembled. The point was made however and she stood up. "I... I... I see. Well, one of you will have to do it then. Cut it, I mean. I would not dare do it. Could not dare!"

The dark elf rolled his eyes, reaching out for her head. She squeaked. He was being so rough with her! In a few sawing and hacking moments all of her curls fell to the ground, leaving her with hair that reached only her ears. Shoving her back towards Kieran, he swooped down to pick up the hair and stuff it in his pack.

"You brute!" she exclaimed. "You didn't have to be so rough!"

"There was no point in pussy footing around it. It's hair. You'll get more of it soon enough. And, really, this will help pad our purses. I'd imagine that this lot would sell to a wig maker for a grand sum."

It was over with before he could do anything. Watching as Mercutio stuffed the hair into his pack, his teeth gritted.

"She could have done it herself, you know- I know she didn't want to cut it, but if I'd had the chance, I could have explained it to her and she'd have done a far better job than you simply sawing at her hair like a bunch of rushes!"

He wanted to pull a blade and 'trim' that face of Mercutio's a little on the sides, but when faced with the situation, well... the urge to run over there and peel back large yards of skin was tempting, but they weren't exactly under ideal situations here. Instead, he'd take hold of Thea's hand and tried to talk to her.

"He didn't hurt you, did he? If he wasn't our only ticket out of here, I'd shave him bare and sell him for bacon... here, let me take a look. Please, Thea?"

It was a bit of a stretch, but he hoped she'd listen. It wasn't like she'd been through this kind of thing before.

"I... apologize for him. You're having to put up with a guy I would normally run off, if I had to... maybe you could make it even when we stop... provided we never know why he needs that hair- wig-maker, my rump... and I guess I should apologize, too. But what is done is done. We have to find a place to stop soon, and I'll help find someone who can attend to your hair. Someone who hopefully won't decide a dagger and a headlock is what every haircut entails. Besides, this is why I need to teach you how to fight with a dagger- so the next time he tries it, you can stick it in his guts and twist."

It was a traumatic experience for Learthea and she shook her head. Although he had yanked out a good handful of her hair as she struggled during his brutal cut, Mercutio hadn't actually caused much physical harm to her. There was a small nick on her ear where his blade came too close to it. In fact she was more shocked by how he went about lobbing off her most prized feature. Clearly the very idea of losing it brought her to being distraught. Instead of letting her come to terms with it, he took matters into his own hands.

In other words; she felt violated.

"I'll be fine," she managed to say. "He didn't hurt me. At least I don't think so. You can take a look if you like."

The brave front she was trying hard to hold up was flaking away. Tears streamed down her face and she gripped to Kieran's hand desperately.

"Why else would I want the hair?" Mercutio asked sharply as he walked on. "We need money to travel. Princess probably didn't bring more than one bag of gold. This way we can get rid of this shit before anyone is the wiser to her true identity."

"Can't I have more time?"

"Over hair? Geesh. The more I am here, the more I disdain the women. If you were up in the North, you'd be beaten to death with a corded rope for your insolence as a woman. Pathetic."

"In case you haven't realized, we're going east. Not north. So kindly keep your hands to yourself and we more than likely won't have a problem. If you think the north is so much better than here, go ahead- nobody's stopping you from taking off- but then again, you need us as much as we need you, because your precious pardon is riding on it. So I'd suggest that you learn to play nice with others, because what do you think will be your fate if we end up dead?"

He'd dismiss the ranger with a turn of the head, and examine Thea a bit more closely.

"Here... let me see." His eyes may not be the best in the dark, but the small nick on her ear didn't escape his notice.

"I think he might have clipped you- hold still, I'll try to at least get it to stop looking like it's going to bleed... don't zap me for this..."

He'd take his free hand and bring it up to her ear, running a finger along it to make sure it wasn't cut through a few times, eyes almost locked on her ear, but they did flick over to hers quite a few times. Once he was satisfied it was intact, he'd take two fingers and lightly put pressure on the cut, giving it time to seal itself and heal.

He'd been close to her before, but, well... he'd been testing her, and hadn't really expected she'd let him anywhere near her again. But at the same time, he had an urge to hold her tight and whisper everything was going to be okay... but she'd more than likely just shock him away, much to his chagrin and Mercutio's obvious enjoyment.

"Th-there... I think it's sealed itself... the cut, I mean..." Hs fingers would release it, and though the cut still looked obvious, it didn't look like it would bleed.

"The bruises will have to fade on thier own, and your hair will have to grow back- but you may be able to trim it up. It still doesn't make you any less bea- I mean, it makes you less noticable. Yeah."

He would pull away again, blush hidden by the darkness, or so he thought.

Whether or not Thea noticed the blush, she did not say, but a small smile crossed her lips before she turned back to follow Mercutio down the path. Just as the rays of sun finally hit the travelers, they made it out of the forest. A low hiss sounded from the dark elf and he squinted in the bright light. For his kind the sun's rays were initially painful, making their sensitive eyes burn until they adjusted. Even Thea's eyes felt a strange pricking from the sun after being in the dark confines of a heavily wooded forest for so long.

Also by the time they got out of the taiga the half elf was exhausted. A day's worth of panic and a night of traversing without any rests had worn on her and she fought to keep herself from passing out where she stood.

"We're not that far from town," Mercutio muttered, seeing her sway out of the corner of his still stinging eyes. "If you should happen to faint I am sure that lover boy would be more than happy to carry you all the way to the city."

She rolled her eyes and, taking a large breath, steadied herself to continue onward. The woman was too proud to admit that she likely needed to stop for a moment or two; that needing to steady herself was not a sign of weakness. All piss and vinegar was what she wanted to be and she would not let even the snarkiest of comments dissuade her single-minded stubbornness.

Like Mercutio had promised, the three of them were soon standing outside of the gates of a rather impressive looking place. While not a very large city, it was well maintained and buildings shot high towards the sky. Almost each dwelling had a shimmering face of pale gold stone. Even though she could only see things through the small bit through the gate, she could tell that the cobblestone was also of the same make.

((Hey, can you play the guards at the gates for us? My mind is half dead right now))

There were two of them, standing at each side of the arch. They looked to be the same kind of guard that Thea had seen standing around her home- rather burly men, who carried well-worn equipment. While the two of them might not look quite as polished as the largely ceremonial guards that might have been throughout her former home, they did look like the kind of man you wouldn't want to give a good reason to use his weapons on. They looked like they'd had to run off trouble, and wanted no problems this early in the morning- and as the group approached, one of them would accost them.

"What's your business here, travelers? It's still early in the morning, and we don't usually open the gates until the sun's completely up..."

Before Mercutio could open his mouth, Kieran would take the lead, speaking from Thea's side.

"We apologize for the early hour, but we've been on the road since last night. We are mostly tired and exhausted, and only seek the comfort of one of your inns until tomorrow morning. May we please pass?"

He hoped Mercutio wouldn't argue with him- because it seemed like he was unable to travel during the day, anyways. There were bound to be some nice places in a town such as this, and well... he didn't feel right just asking Thea to lay down in a ditch to sleep- at least not without some proper sleeping equipment. Jonas had been out of the kind of tents that he would have liked to use, but at the same time, it had obviously saved them valuable time in covering that many miles.

"Well... open the gate. Your lover looks dead on her feet anyways, from the way she's trying to cover it up. The best inns are on the main street through town, but if I were you, a pretty little flower like her shouldn't frequent anything near the city walls. Been a rash of disappearances from them lately..."

He'd bang his shield against the wall, and the gate would open enough to let them pass through.

Back
Top Bottom