Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Reluctant Pact (RetroXBlueLurker)

Laerthea Rolonae was not one to ask for help. As the daughter of the providence's governor she was a proud woman. Rarely did she take advice from anyone other than her mother. She certainly did not go out of her way to admit that she was in need of anything, preferring to grit and bear whatever may come to her. She had been told it was an ugly trait for a being such as her, as if being part elven meant she was somehow above her father's human heritage.

For Laerthea to be hiding close to the city's largest fountain, waiting to hear from the man that answered her plead for assistance meant that she was in dire straights. In silence she looked out from behind a tree, the hood of her crimson cape up to hide her face.

In those few days things had been hectic for her people. A spell had enveloped the area that the providence covered; one that made the people forget who was in control. They forgot about her mother and treated Laerthea like a stranger. Which was good because, at that moment, she as a criminal. Or would be by morning. Not only had the bastard, Firk, manipulated the innocent people through magic but had given her 'a three day head start', implying that she was to be hunted down like some wild animal.

That evening was her last evening before she was tracked down and the last evening she had to get any help for her quest.

A delicate hand gripped the tree of the bark and she looked out. Where was this man? Certainly he would have been there by that time? The moon was high and illuminated the square where the fountain sat. She then pulled down her hood to see if she could get a better look. Golden curls and waves tumbled out but it was clear that a good majority of her hair was tucked within the cape yet. Pale violet eyes looked out and, instead of having pupils, they were defined in the middle by a darker, more vibrant shade of purple. She chewed on her naturally strawberry colored lips.

"Damn it," she hissed out.

His eyes took in the fountain as he approached it, one hand upon a blade at his waist. It wouldn't be the first time he'd been set up- or the last, if he had anything to say about it. Not that he wouldn't be set up, he mentally reminded himself- but that he wouldn't let it happen again.

He removed his helmet and tried to tame the wild mass of brown hair that seemed to do its own thing when not confined under the helmet. Eyes, also brown, scanned the area, not finding anyone... or at least, nobody he could see. Of course, it also didn't bode well that he was a bit late, too... he'd quickly look in the fountain to check out his reflection, and adjusted his equipment to make himself look just a little bit more heroic. Even if the splash of water and rinsing didn't get the smell of ale off his armor, or the smell of lilacs off his neck, that is.

True, he hadn't meant to linger that long, but bar girls were wily creatures, experienced at extracting every last bit of coin they could from people like him. Granted, he might even still be at the Blushing Lilac had it not been for the terrible bard they'd had. He personally hadn't minded, but when the overly pickled gentleman in the rusty armor had taken offense, he'd managed to overestimate the arc needed to hit said bard with a pint of the cheap stuff, and had splattered Kieran with the worst swill the place offered.

Thankfully, it had also given him an out- he didn't even have the money to pay for half of what he'd had, and at least this time, he wasn't drinking and dashing, the city guard hot on his heels. The last few towns he'd passed through hadn't really had guards worth anything, and he'd left a trail of debts up and down the nearby roads and trails. It was almost time for him to skip town again, he thought. He'd been catching the eye of the local barkeeps, and he figured that perhaps after convincing the bar girl for a roll, it would be time to leave town under the purpose of a job.

He'd look around, taking a seat on the fountain's rim. At the very least, either he'd get a bit of exercise tonight, or he'd find a way out of town.

He sighed. "Come on... where are you, my little contact? I swear, if this is just Jonas screwing around with me again, I'm going to hold his head under the water until he sprouts a brain..."

He looked a little younger than she might have expected- it was obvious he'd not seen three decades, even if the bow slung across his back could be as old or maybe even older than he was.

A smile crossed her features as he came up to the fountain. That must have been the one she was looking for. Who else would come by that part of town at that time of night? The taverns were still opened and whoever wasn't at home with the children was out drinking. The working masses used alcohol as a bandage for many things.

"You're quite a bit younger than I expected," she said as she stepped out of shadows that hid her. Although she was considerably old in human years she appeared in her early twenties. Her face was smooth and without blemish. The elven and human features blended well together and, with her massive amounts of golden waves, she looked almost angelic in nature. "Then again I am not sure if you are the one I am looking for."

Laerthea paused a moment to examine him closely. He certainly didn't look as if he would be of any help to her. By the armor he wore she was almost certain that he didn't wield any magic and, as a warrior, he looked completely fresh faced. Well, if he was her quandary, she just had to bare with him. No one else would assist her and she did need the help.

"I am Laerthea Rolonae."

"Well, looks like I owe him an apology. You can call me Kieran, Kieran Mathis. To be honest... I didn't think the note was actually real... but it's nice to meet you." His voice trailed off as he gave her a once-over, and then a twice-over. Hm. Maybe the trip out of town wouldn't be so bad.

"...very nice." he said with a grin that wouldn't be hard to interpret. He adjusted his equipment and looked her over, an amused expression replacing the grin. "So- you must be serious about looking for help. You contacted me, and it's not like I get a lot of people who actually WANT my help... not that there's a lot who don't, but... anyways... first things first... what's the payment? You don't look like you have much cash on you, but there are... other forms of payment I can take..." he said, good sense being overwhelmed for the moment. "Make me an offer, we'll get underway. Better be a good one, though..."

He was hoping she couldn't tell he was bluffing. She needed the help as much as he needed to get out of town. If she bucked, well, he'd back down- maybe. But it didn't seem to hurt to see just how far he could push his luck. Besides... looking her over once again, the 'other form of payment' might even be preferable.

"The sooner you make up your mind, the sooner we can get going, right?" he said, taking a seat on the fountain again and making a show of rinsing his face with the water. Though it looked like he was still pretty green, there were a number of small nicks upon his face, that could have come from anywhere. The second was that there might be something hiding behind those happy eyes and lips that seemed to reflexively curl up into a smile even when it wasn't warranted.

"Or we could keep standing here staring into each other's eyes. I kind of like the view, myself." he joked, trying to ease the tension.

The type not to have coin indeed! Had he been so captivated by her looks that he did not notice the quality of her cloak? Did his discerning eye not make out the silk and velvet robes beneath that were the same golden color as her hair? Visibly she blistered at that comment, taking a defensive stance by crossing her arms over her chest shrewdly.

"I've got plenty of money... just not right now." she explained. Well, she did have a good amount of gold in the pouch that she hastily tied around the sash on her waist. "What I have on me should cover our travelling expenses for awhile but your true prize comes after we are able to dispel whatever magic has been wrought by Lord Firk."

She took another few steps towards him, holding back the urge to strike him across the face with a well aimed slap. How dare he lead to that sort of thing? She was of noble blood. The thought of lowering herself to the position of a slattern was repulsive. Instead she was able to turn that anger towards the goal at hand.

"I may not look like much but my family is quite powerful around here though nobody remembers. That is partially why I am offering this quest for you. We'll be out of the area for a few months at least and I can not guarantee your safety throughout this entire mission."

"So... you're powerful... and so is your family... but yet nobody knows who you are. Okay. Sure. We'll go with that." He shook his head, smile still upon his face. The last time someone had said something like that. they'd had most of a flask of 'Old Stump Rotter' in them, and apparently also thought they could fly- which ended amusingly enough as they fell into a passing baker's cart full of freshly-ground flour.

"Fine. I get my pay at the end of the week- one way or another- with an advance tonight- or you can go off on your merry little way all alone. I'll even be a nice guy and not say a word that I saw you. But hey- you're the one who's desperate, not me... right?"

Kieran let another easy grin cover his features, even if he was making ready to leave. It was a given he was hiring on with her, that much was certain. She interested him in more ways than one, and that- unless you were a busty bar girl with a jug of his favorite- was hard to do. Besides, all she was was a ticket out of town... right?

But part of him just seemed to enjoy seeing how far he could push her. That was the thing- she was amazingly beautiful, but- at least to him- she was one of those women that could still look beautiful, even when angry or irritated. Especially when irritated. And he wasn't one to leave a boundary unexplored, no way no how.

"Like I said, either agree to the terms or find your own way. You still have a good bit before sunrise, we could be out of here and well clear of the city before that happens. All I want is what's due me. But it seems like all your money's meant for traveling expenses, yes?"

That young face looked up at the stars. "We could simply sleep out in the wild and save money that way. Invest in one tent and one blanket, and we have enough money to keep me happy for a bit of time. We'd even have a good time, I would bet. What do you say?"

The urge came to toss a fireball at his hair and watch it all burn off with glee. Her eyebrow rose and she tapped her foot against the cobblestone surrounding the fountain. This man was going to make it quite difficult for her. Of course he wouldn't remember her family's name but, for the love of the gods, she did not need to be treated like some nutter fresh from the farm.

"At the end of the week?" she asked. "This journey could take months. That was in the note you were shown, was it not? I asked for that to be put in that note."

An annoyed grunt escaped her lips and she gritted her teeth. Not only did he want a weekly pay, he wanted gold up front as an incentive. Her pride wanted her to back off and do the whole thing on her own but she knew better. Instead she reached for the bag about her waist and shoved it at him.

"There. Take the whole damned thing." she snarled. "I would rather sleep on the ground without any covering than share a blanket and a tent with the likes of you anyhow but I do need the help in getting this done. That bag is all I have for this journey though and I can't promise a weekly pay."

Unless they made habit of doing side quests for people or exploring caves or fighting monsters that had a high chance of having loads of valuables on them. Her nose turned upwards.

"Not the type of pay you seem to be inclined for me to give anyway."

"You ARE serious." His tone changed a bit, as if she might have finally gotten through to him. He was willing to back down- for now. He knelt down, picked up the money pouch, and offered it back to her.

"I apologize for having to do that... you are beautiful, and don't get me wrong, I find it my duty to make passes and offers to beautiful women, but... you have to understand, when you're on the road, you can't trust anybody- sometimes not even yourself. Your heart can tell you one thing, your mind can tell you another. Someday your future- and your life- may end up hinging upon such a decision. The fact that you're willing to tell me where to get off- it's a good start. People are going to try to push you around out there, so it's nice to see that you have some fire in your belly."

His head would nod in a direction towards something he had seen while walking to the fountain.

"We're leaving before the morning... but we'll have to do some shopping. I've had to hunt down people in the past- mostly criminals and the like- but Laerthea, for someone trying to keep a low profile, you don't have much of a chance at getting much farther than a couple towns away before Firk's guards find you and drag both of us back here. Notice I said WE- I'm in, for the long haul. We might have to live off the land, but what the blazes- something like this only comes along once every so often... and if you really are who you say you are, well, I can see the benefits there, too."

He eyes her again, but this time it wasn't just to flick his eyes over those curves. He was taking in her equipment, her overall status, and from the way he bit his lip, he wasn't liking what he was seeing.

"There are a number of secrets to traveling upon the road, especially if you want to do it in secret because you're trying to hide from someone with a lot of power. Before you ask, yes, I do have experience with it- it was a rather nice set of weapons, and no, I'd rather not talk about how that one ended up. There are four or five things wrong currently. You need to change your name, first off- shorten it or change it completely. if we have a little slip of the tongue- the bad kind, that is- we'll give away our position and it'll be harder to move. Second- that hair. Cut it or color it- preferably both. If Firk's guards are looking for a blonde, they'll think brown or black-haired girls aren't worth thier time. Change the cut and the color occasionally, and nobody will ever remember you if they show a picture of a blonde around. Third- you're too clean. When I'm out on the road, I bathe when I can, but that might mean four or five days of not being anywhere near a bar of soap. Things get ripe, and there's a reason they call it "washing the dust from one's mouth" when you have that first drink. Dirty up a little- maybe find a big pile of dust we could roll around in together or something. A little bit of trail dirt on you, to take that shine off, and you'll look like a completely different woman. That's a good thing. Fifth, your clothes have to go. Yes, I know I'm going to catch a lightning bolt up the rump for it, but your clothes mark you as beautiful, young, and most importantly, rich. We'll have to frequent a lot of places where the more... unsavory elements are going to be coming out to play. Rich, beautiful girls to them are like big piles of free sweets for a child- they'll swarm, and though I have skills with a blade, we can't hold off an entire raging bandit crew by ourselves. So we're going to find ourselves an armorer and look for something more... appropriate. It might not be what you're used to in the cut and material, but it will keep you alive a lot longer and give us a chance to finish your quest."

He stopped, and looked into her eyes. There was a bit of fire in those eyes, even besides the promise of a smile, and possibly something more.

"I can be a right jackass at sometimes, as you can see. No doubt I'll do it again, just out of habit. But I'm not going to leave you to Firk's unknown mercies- if he even has any- even if you set my hair on fire and threaten to make me spit lightning by running the bolts backwards through me. I'm going to trust you that you're not lying to me- and whatever my actions or my words, I'm asking you to trust me, too. It's going to be hard, and money might be far between, but let's go shopping to outfit you and get out of here while the getting's good. After you... milady." There was a twinkle in his eye as he said it, guesturing back down the avenue towards th shop he'd seen, but it was meant in good spirits. Like it or not, she would be stuck with him, and he'd follow her to the end of the world. All over a pretty face.

The look of caution in her eyes was paramount as he offered the bag back to her. Carefully she snatched it back, half expecting him to reach out and grab her wrist to pull her in towards him. This was not how she thought this interaction would go. She assumed that he would either do it or tell her to promptly fuck off. Instead he played a game with her and, when she became upset with it, he instantly backed off and agreed to assist her. Her cheeks were red from the rush of emotion and the slight chill to the air.

For all of his speech she remained quiet and listened to what he was saying. He was right about one thing. She had no qualms about sending lightning right through him or setting any parts of his body on fire. At least, she was sure, that he would keep his hands to himself.

His suggestions about changing her appearance visibly sent fire through her. Cut and color her hair! Indeed! Why would she want to do that? All of the dyes made elven hair look like mud and her locks were glorious; unlike any other hair within the providence. Smear herself with dirt and dust. While she only had a small issue with pawning off her glorious robes for something more common, she would not roll around in filth. Travelling alone would cover her in dirt.

"I do not mind trading my robes for something much more effective in battle and common on the road but I am not going to ruin my hair. There are plenty of blond elves running around and... I would rather not cover myself in filth and mire. My skin is another glorious thing and I shan't abuse it more than what I need to."

Perhaps she was being a little childish about her physical appearance but she did not care. When they had difficulties with her looks, then she'd make about changing them drastically. What was the point of living if one could not be beautiful? The halfbreed was vain and spoiled.

When she motioned, she began to walk with him towards a place she could be properly outfitted. "I don't mind changing my name a little. That I completely understand. Thea was something mother always used to call me when I was a child. No one else knows me by that name so it could be effective or do you think that is too close to Laerthea?"

The chatter went on like that until they reached a supplier. "Do you think they'll be open this late at night?"

"Not really, but this one owes me a favor from way back. I told him I might be bringing someone by tonight- a 'get a girl away from an impending bad marriage' sort of deal- hey, it's big place, and there are always families that are willing to do just about anything to make thier little ones happy. I did the same for a relation of his and she's living a good ways from here now, with a happy family. Her former groom tried throwing money at me, but one of the perks about this business- you get to choose who you really want to work for. I sent him in the wrong direction- up north, I'd said. Sent him chasing off that way for a few years, and he paid me for it. I wonder what the fool's doing now, anyways..."

He cracked a little smile. "...bet you didn't expect something like that from a guy like me, huh? Kind of the reason I'm not rolling in coin like the others- I'd rather take jobs that don't keep me up at night- not that I wouldn't mind if you kept me up all night, but I'd feel okay about it in the morning." That smile came back, as they approached a door, with a large decorative potted plant next to it. It was one of those corny scenes of a bunch of heroes- muscular warriors, mages with robes that barely covered anything, and the requisite large fire-breathing creature. Kieran would reach out- not for one of the figures, but for a small, non-descript flower in the back. He plusked it up, and it revealed an old key entangled in the roots.

He'd unlock the door and push it openj, holding it for her. Inside, it wasn't the cleanest, but there was most of everything that they might need. He'd usher her inside, then quickly replace the key and flower back in the pot, before stepping inside, closing and locking the door behind him.

The place was certainly well-lit- being full of things that might seem useful out on the road. It was quite obvious that the owner had done quite well for himself, because everything was clean and tidy.

Another thing that quickly became obvious was that they were the only ones in the place- a fact made obvious by a note left upon enough in the way of supplies for two people, all nicely packed into easy-to-carry packs.

"Huh. 'K- this makes us even. Help yourself to what you need- and don't try the strongbox again. Try to keep her alive- and if you try and jump in her outfit, you're going to deserve what you get. Signed, J.' ...Huh. I owe him one- maybe two. Looks like we have the run of the place- I would guess if there's anything special you'd like, feel free to search for it. I get the feeling I'm going to be carrying most of this stuff, so try to go easy... mostly because what I can't carry, you're going to have to." He shrugged out of his pack and bow, and set them besides the pile. The pack hit the ground with a mostly-empty 'thwap', and fromk the sound of it, there was barely anything in there.

"Okay... I'm going to go off and see what I can dig up in my size as far as a new suit of armor. I suggest you find something that'll protect you better than flimsy cloth robes- maybe some leather with a nice cloak or cape that you can wrap around yourself, if I may suggest it? I've seen it many a time on the roads, and if you just look like that, you'll blend in. It'll also give me a treat to look at, but it beats the 'metal underclothes' look all to anything, too. Though if you're will- kidding, kidding! Not that you couldn't pull it off, I'd like to be able to breathe after we leave. There's not much for changing, so... I promise not to look. let me know when you find something and have your new outfit on- we'll get you some nice sharp and pointy things that you can use. It's always good to have options... and a sharp knife is always useful."

With that, he left her alone, walking off towards a part of the supplier's that he thought he had seen some 'gently used' armor.

His character was far better than what she had first assumed. This man had presented himself as a lewd, womanizing bastard that was only in this deal to get as much coin as he could and, perhaps, a chance to get into her knickers. Now, the more he spoke, the more she realized that he wasn't like that. At least not entirely according to the way he told the story. Whether or not that was bullocks was difficult to tell but, for then, she was going to believe in him.

"I was more so expecting to hear how you deflowered the young woman you saved from the horrible arranged marriage." she told him, an amused smile cracking across her angelic features. "It is good to know that you don't always take advantage of beautiful creatures."

How very clever the owner was to hide an extra key to the front of the store in the dirty of a flower pot. There were no keys at her mother's mansion. Guards had protected the entrances of the illustrious home. There was no need to keep it locked because that protection lasted twenty-four hours a day. Or, at least, it had before that blasted Lord Firk had claimed her land.

The entered the shop and while he thought the owner had done quite well for themselves, Laerthea was endeared by the store's quaint appearance and rustic apparel. She looked at the various leathers and armors, frowning slightly. It was what the common folk wore when they traveled and that was what she had to be. Still it wasn't all that bad now that she looked at it. The stitching was nice and, at least, it would be durable.

She finally picked out a few skirts that would fit her, a dress to go over those skirts, chemises, a leather overcoat, and tougher cloak. She looked over her shoulder just in case. After all he said he wouldn't look but she did not know if he would keep to his word with something like that.

"I am sure this will be fine for now," she told him as she slipped out of her velvet cloak and robes.

If he by chance did take a gander at that moment he would have been greeted to a lovely sight. She was wasn't as skinny as most elves but she was slender while possessing the curves of her human blood. Her skin was pale and without mark and her body was hairless except her hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes.

She dressed quickly, however, grunting as she tried to lace the bodice over her chest.

He wasn't looking at her- out of all the surprises, he was actually keeping his word. He'd been down at the end of the store, unknowingly in her line of sight. He'd shed the patched and stained leather armor, and had even shed his boots, standing there in only the leather pants as he intently tested a seam or three with his fingers.

It was fairly obvious he'd been in a few battles- his back had its share of scars, including one that seemed to still be recently healed over. If she really thought about it, it would have fit with one of those patches upon his armor. He wasn't overly muscular or anything- you'd never catch him half-dressed with a huge weapon, that was for certain- but he was in decent shape.

He draped one of the less battle-scarred suits over his arm and then knelt down, checking out the boots that were stacked upon the ground. On the leg sticking out behind him, however, was a bandage that took up most of his right calf- one that was still tinged with a little red upon it, but nothing that looked recently fresh.

As he knelt there, he seemed to be lost in thought, pulling one set out, checking them, and then setting them aside. This continued for a bit as he looked for one, not really aware of anything else. He seemed to find a pair, and as a result, he set them down, stood, and stretched, trying to work the kinks out as he picked up the suit and began to wriggle into it. He pulled it down and cinched it tight, and THEN he'd turn around, not really expecting what he saw.

"Uh... um... you need any help? I'm kind of experienced with the laces part, myself..."

Then again, some things would never change, would they?

Although she would not admit to it, even if he confronted her, she stole a glance over her shoulder when the frustration of lacing her bodice became too much. What she saw was not a bad sight. Surely he wasn't too muscle bound but he was toned and clearly strong. The scars only enhanced his masculinity. Despite her snotty behavior, she much preferred a man willing to be a little rough and tumble.

"Um... yes," she said, shaking her head. "I always had a maid to do things like laces and latches."

Which was true. It was nearly impossible to lace one's corset alone. With how tiny elven girdles were, she sometimes needed to maids to pull her in completely to meet the same appearance as the rest of her race. The truth was that, beyond her mother and a few, selected servants, no one knew Laerthea's true heritage. There were tricks here and there to hide the fact that her blood was not fully elfish.

"Don't lace it too tightly though. I should be able to breathe freely so I can chant to cast my spells. Also... I don't want my chest to be on full display here. I may have to dress like a peasant but I am not going to lewdly show off my body like most of those wenches do."

"Sure... just tell me when." He'd walk over and take up the laces, fingers accidentally brushing up against the material. He'd tug on it, pulling it tighter until she gave the okay that it would suit her needs, and would tie it off, almost tucking the slack of the laces inside- before pulling his hands back.

"There..." he breathed, with a little smile as he regarded his handiwork, then stepped back.

"Well... it's too bad. You look, um... really good in that. If you need it, I'd be willing to help you when you need it- but you could stand to loosen it a little- all kinds of surprises could be tucked inside there- a knife, maybe something else... it's up to you. Every advantage you can get is a good one- even if you might be a bit squeamish about it, it's worth it if they never, ever see it coming."

His face was a little red- blast it all, he hadn't blushed since... well, since the first time he'd entered a tavern.

"Do you need help with anything else?" He'd walk back and put on the boots, drawing the right one up gingerly, with a wince- that one got laced tighter than the left one. Once that was done, he kicked the toe to make sure of the fit, and adjusted it until everything was comfortable.

"We'd better hurry... I don't know how... long we have until sunrise- I'd like to be out of town a good way before the heat comes on. If we can make it to a forest, we should be good if we keep in the trees and press onwards- you can't ride through a good, densely packed forest, wich gives the chased people time to get away and lose them."

Well, at least he hadn't blurted out totally what he was trying not to- 'I don't know how... long I could keep myself from saying or doing something that either I- or you, but mostly I- would regret trying.'

He walked away, towards the weapons, and selected a couple of things for himself- a second blade, a few spare knives, and for her... two long knives, one short dagger, and a knife with a pared-down hilt that was more than likely going to earn him a bolt when he told her where it went. Well, he'd been good, so maybe... she might let it slide. He hoped she would, at least.

The young half elf wondered why his face was so red. She was sure that he had his fair share of girls and doing something as simple as lacing a bodice wasn't that big of a deal. She gave the signal for him to stop by waving her hand. It was tight, the metal eyelets overlapping each other, making her chest pop almost uncomfortably up.

"I suppose I need a good staff." she said, turning away from him to look around. "I won't need a dagger if I can properly channel my energy."

Using a staff wasn't a requirement. Many magic users preferred, in fact, using a smaller weapon in addition to their magic instead of a glorified piece of wood. Laerthea wasn't physically powerful but her magic was something special. She fancied the idea of being able to give more umph to her spells.

Her eyes lit up when they landed on a large oaken staff with a violet crystal cluster affixed to the top. That would be perfect! She scrambled towards it like a child who had spotted a favorite toy. Something so lovely in appearance must have been quite potent. Even before she wrapped her hand around it, she could feel the pulse of energy radiating from the item.

Yes. That felt whole to her. The weight of it was rather hefty and she could not spin it around like she had her daintier staves she used during her lessons at her mother's house. This felt better than that. Plus, if it came down to it, the thing would likely make a good cudgel.

"I am alright now. My boots are fairly well made. Unlike most ladies, I do not wear slippers. I find them the most useless tripe of footwear ever invented."

He would nod, and finish his selections. He'd wander over to her, hlding a few small weapons in his hands.

"Hmmm... I still think you should take a few of these. I mean, well- a sharp edge is nothing to sneeze at, and usually it's always handy to keep access to something for an emergency- the feeling of a nice, sharp edge prodding some protruding offender is a great way to get someone to behave. Not to mention they can go just about everywhere."

He indicated the longer daggers. "These would go in the tops of your boots- sort of like mine. At the very least, I'd recommend it."

He sat those two aside, and pulled out the shorter dagger.

"This one would go at the small of your back. A nice, hidden weapon, because most people only thihnk they're up against what they can see. Wait until they get close, then pull it out and stick it deep. They'll be too busy trying to understand how they misjudged you- until you do it again and they keel over."

Here it came... he set down the knife and held up the one that had been pared down to little more than a small knife and simple, slender hilt.

"This is the one I'm going to insist you carry- yes, it goes where you think it goes, right up front. It's an emergency weapon- if you're rather... indisposed, and a rather pickled barfly decides he wants a quick squeeze-"

He'd actually raise a hand and touch her breast, giving it a quick squeeze through the material before jumping back-

"-you'll have to make a statement to keep him from messing with you- not to mention the others who are looking out for beautiful women who can't defend themselves. You don't want to end your days in some far-off ruler's harem, wearing silk and seed, would you?"

Oh, he shouldn't have said that. The image popped into his mind, and it took him a second to shake it off. But he bet she'd look better in blue or green silk, anyways.

"I insist you take them and wear them. Either you're going to put them on, or I'm going to tackle you to the ground, hold you down, and put them on you. You'll thank me later- even if you only use one to threaten to cut off something important. I can teach you how to fight with one when we get to a place we can stop for a while. Now, are you putting them on, or do I get a reason to come close to you again?"

It was a calculated risk- either she'd take his advice, or he'd get a chance- mind you, just a chance- to put his hands on her. There was an easy smile on his face, and it was tough to tell if he was being serious or not. But he still held up the slender dagger, hilt first, waiting for her reaction.

He wanted her to carry a lot of blades. One in each boot, one strapped to her back, and another right between her breasts. She was shocked that he did not mention strapping some to her thighs and arms. If there were daggers small enough she was sure that he would insist that each finger and toe be covered in them, just in case. Her pupiless violet eyes rolled.

Instantly her eyes widened, however, as he grabbed one of the orbs on her chest and gave it a firm squeeze. She gripped the staff tightly and played around with the idea of cracking it against his skull for touching her in such a manner. Her body was, after all, the only thing that she had remaining that was truly hers. Knowing that someone else could touch it like that rankled her to no end... and drove his point home effectively.

A scowled crossed her features. "I can do it myself, sir, and I will remind you to keep your hands where they belong. Your point was well taken without that hands on demonstration."

With a quick hand she snatched the knives up and slipped them into the places that he told her to put them. She stuck them in her boots and between her breasts, only asking for assistance for the one that would go on her back.

"Since we are properly outfitted we should head out of town. Other supplies can be bought in other places. We won't have much time to get out of the vicinity of this city. I would rather not be caught within three hours of my adventure... erm, our adventure now."

He nodded, a small grin on his features as he slipped the dagger in behind her.

"Indeed. Three hours isn't a lot of time, and we'll want to be far away before the search starts."

He'd rush over and shoulder his own equipment, as well as taking as much of hers that he could carry comfortably. All that was really left was a small pack that he couldn't find anywhere to hook, so it would be up to her to carry it.

"I'm trying to keep you mobile... your biggest asset- besides that body- is for you to be able to manuver and hit from many odd angles. I can move fast enough- just keep that body bouncing and I'll get them off you as soon as I can."

He unlocks the front door, and ushers her out, closing it behind them as he heads for the nearest gate out of the city. His eyes scan up and down- if this Firk is like anyone else with a bit of evil, he'd jump the gun and try to catch his prey napping.

"Good thing you didn't take me up on those advances in there... they might have found us still going at it on a pile of fur cloaks, or something... not a very distinguished way to be caught, I would think... but at least we would have had some fun, right?"

He spotted what he was looking for- an open gate, just beckoning the two of them into the great outdoors.

"Well... looks like we'd better go while the getting is good, yes?"

He would take her hand and begin leading her towards the gate, not really listening to whatever protests she had- more than likely they'd be looking for a single female, in some of the finest clothing available. Nobody would question two adventurers, out on a quest to explore the wilderness. But all that mattered was getting clear and disappearing.

"If you have anything to say, it can wait until tonight. We'll work off some of that tension you seem to be carrying around, too- a little physical activity clears the mind, and the body. There's just one thing that I want you to understand..." he said, turning to her- still holding her hand.

"If it looks like we're going to get overwhelmed, promise me you'll run, and never look back. There are are a few things I'd rather not anyone see... and a messy death at something's hands is one of those things. Swear it, Thea. I'm just the handsome wall of leather and armor in front of you. But you have to survive- and if that means... well, swear you'll run. There's a difference between fighting for a cause and throwing your life away."

He'd wait until he got an answer, not moving.

All of the sexual jokes made her purse her lips. Not only would she not be caught dead romping around with that man in a pile of anything, the very idea of intercourse with anyone repulsed her. Because of her high station in life she had known that she would likely marry for political purposes instead of love. The Bloodline was, therefore, extremely protected. Meaning that she could not copulate with anyone before she was married and afterwards only with her husband until an heir was produced.

Laerthea was a virgin.

She walked out as he held open the door, wondering what was going to happen to them. This was all so swiftly happening and it had effectively taken her mind off of Lord Firk. However as she left out into the brisk night air, not feeling nearly as chilly in her skirts and equipment, her mind could not help but travel towards the dastardly man.

"I hope he does not send men out early for us," she said in a hushed whisper. "I would not put a past a man who used magic to manipulate simpletons to try and get the upper hand by balking out of our deal."

Though, really, there was some honor to Lord Firk. Like he promised he would not send out men to capture them until the dawn of the third day broke. However he did not promise not to send scouts after her to track her every movement.

Which he did.

Unseen in the shadows a man moved like a wraith; following them with phantom like grace.

Yet Thea did not notice the man. Instead she noticed what her new partner had said and felt instantly touched by it. "You shouldn't die for me. We barely know one another and, really, it would be a waste if both of us were to perish because of a madman. Now, you have to promise me something. If I am to fall before you, I want you to continue on. At whatever cost there is Firk needs to be stopped."

"As long as you let me know what we're after, I'll do what it takes. Besides, as soon as he figures out you've got a companion, well, that puts me right out there with you."

He paused for a second, and continued.

"If the worst happens, well, you can be sure there would be one person who'd do his damnedest to make people remember you existed- even if he had to scream it from the rooftops. I swear you won't be forgotten, and I'd carve it out of Firk's tripes."

He gave her a grin- genuine, this time, and tugged her hand.

"Come on, we'll have to get going. Time's wasting, and if we're going to swear to continue on after the other falls, we should do it where we're not going to be overheard- or where they might have a chance to make us honor that right before we begin."

He'd nod, then turn, dragging her out of the gate and into the open world. If he noticed the scout trailing them, he didn't give any indication. If they did something obvious to draw attention to themselves, he'd definately be all over it.

"So, I would think we should just pick a direction, and start running. The important thing isn't that we leave, but that we make sure we're safely away before we start discussion on where we go next. I wouldn't put much of anything past Frik- he may not be trying to capture us, but at the same time, it says nothing about following or killing."

Holding her hand, he'd break into as much of a run as he could, dragging her along for the ride.

Well, wasn't he the dramatic one? The lovely young blonde couldn't help but chuckle beneath her breath. It was clear that he was still a youth in his race. He waxed poetic about making sure that she would be known after her death and acted as though what they had was a whirlwind romance. Though, really, she had no room to think wistfully about the silliness of youth. She, herself, had only reached maturity for her race three years prior which meant that, if she were human, she would only be a few years older than he. Despite her 'knowing' better, she was still rambunctious and adventurous.

"Well, the quickest way out of the Providence is to the East--OOOPH!"

Before she could properly explain that their best option was to go to the East, he was pulling them in the northern direction. Which was alright, too, but the Northern folk were far more barbaric and less likely to help them. The Eastern people, however, had laws that protected travelers or rouges for simply claiming sanctuary in a village. Oh well! It was the start of something new and exciting.

The man could barely contain a snort himself as he heard the ridiculous explanation giving by the hired hand. Had that boy really fallen for the spoiled brat so quickly? Looks were apparently everything to humans. Though, he had to admit, the blonde wasn't that bad to look at and would likely make a pretty penny if she were given to the slave trade. The hooded man thought on this as he followed after like a swift shadow.

He'd keep looking back at her, making sure she was keeping up with him. He'd continue to push until they were well out of sight of the city walls- and then stopped, looking back.

"This ought to be far enough... I don't think you could make out obvious details from this distance... and if anyone saw us leave, they'll claim we went north- that way, all the searchers are going to assume we went to seek aid up there. Now that we're out of sight of the walls, we'll head for the border- which I think is to the- east, I believe... we'll have to cut through some pretty heavy cover, but as long as you don't lose sight of me, we'll be fine. Just keep youe ears and eyes open, and we'll be fine."

He reached around and pulled an arrow from his quiver, and with a little effort, snapped it near the head. He'd toss it ahead of them on the trail, leaving a not so obvious path- more like a bait to any would-be follower. All it would take would be someone finding that arrow, and it would be enough of a find that he hoped it would pull the search north of them. Blue and white wasn't an uncommon combination, but given that it was only a matter of time before they were found out to be traveling together, the more obvious trails he could lay behind them to sow confusion, the better.

He would pause for another second, and then lead her off to the east.

"How long do you think it'll be before sunrise? I mean, you know what they say- sunlight erases shadows, not having shadows to hide in is going to make it hard for anyone to follow us and not get noticed. Just wish we had a light, though... oh, well, hope you don't kill me for this..."

He'd embrace her in a hug, placing his lips near her ear so he could speak quietly.

"Before you kill me, this is too obvious. I don't believe for a second we got away clean- so look for anything out of the ordinary- any sounds, any shadows if you can see them. My eyes aren't that hot in darkness, so it's up to you. Care for a friendly wager as to what our possible tail is after- you, me, money? Everything's on the table, Thea, so don't be shy. Loosen up and live a little, why don't you?"

He'd pull away, awaiting her reaction. He only hoped she wouldn't kill him before she looked.

He only wished that she'd warm up a little. Maybe an opportunity to see what he could do might change that...

By the time he decided to stop running Laerthea's lungs burnt and sweat bespangled her brow, trickling over her cheeks and down her neck. Her legs itched terribly from the exertion and she felt sick. Running was not something she did and her endurance for physical activity was low. She sucked in a harsh breath and supported herself against a tree, hardly listening to him talk. Her eyes followed his movements and she wondered why he would waste an arrow like that.

"Ah... well that was a smart move," she replied sounding genuinely impressed by his wit. A groan escaped her lips as she pulled her along towards the east now. "But there is a stitch in my side!"

The half elf would have to toughen up considerably. Clearly it was Lord Firk's intent that she never make it past the city walls. He intended to chase her down without any hardship at all and bring her back to the castle for whatever 'punishment' was proper for a renegade.

A gasp escaped her when he pulled her closely to him in a seemingly romantic move. Even if it were just a ploy, she couldn't help it; her anger boiled and her heart raced. Still she managed to bring it all to a simmer and listen to what he had to say. So he thought that there was someone following them? That made sense and, while her eyes would not be as strong as her mother's in the dark, they still had more power than a human's in low light.

Beyond the tree line of the forest she saw a few creatures moving. All had reflective yellow eyes. Though one in particular stood out. A set that was wider and yet sharper than the rest. Higher up as well. As it shifted she caught a strange color shimmering... like tarnished silver.

"We do have company," she whispered nearly silently.

"There is no need to whisper," the voice called it. It was dangerous; curled at the ends in an accent that Laerthea could not place. "I can hear everything you two say here."

"Stay calm. He's got an accent, so I doubt he's local. I just hope he hasn't brought any friends with him, or this could get ugly. I'll save the obvious joke for when he shows his face."

He gave her a squeeze and then his hand went to his waist.

"So if you know what we're saying, why not come out here where we can talk? I'm pretty sure we know where this is leading, so just come out and tell us why you're following us. It'll save us all a lot of time and effort that we could save for something else."

He'd half-draw his blade, the metal clearing the sheath as he looked around.

"I can only think of a few reasons you're following us, and I only like one of them. The others... well, I don't like shedding blood if I don't have to, but don't let it make you think I won't."

His feet changed position, enough to give him better balance if it should come to blows.

"I can guarantee that if you come near her, you're going to be in trouble."

He'd draw his sword the rest of the way and ready it. Even if he couldn't see the speaker, well, he knew that Thea could- and as long as he stuck close, he'd have to close with them to do any kind of damage- or he could keep him busy long enough for Thea to get something off and solve the problem.

"Come on out, friend. Maybe we can make a deal, yes?"

From the coverage of the taiga a rather fit frame appeared. He had no shirt on despite the cold. Black leather breeches clung to his legs and his boots had metal toes with spikes that stuck out of the middle. His skin was a purplish black with coal colored dots speckling his shoulders and face. The yellow of his eyes stood out in the evening dark, shining like a predator's. His hair was of a gunmetal color and fell to his back in a thick sheet.

He reached to his hips and pulled out a two short swords, his long ears picking up the sound of Kieran's blade. On the edge of the blades were carved runes that shined faintly when exposed to the moonlight. Laerthea noticed a black buckle and strap across his chest, her eyes following its path to see a holster for arrows and a rather large bow. It seemed that this man was a ranger of some sort.

"A deal?" he asked with a smile. "Unless you can offer more than what Lord Firk can."

"Don't deal with him. All Drow are the same. They'd kill you as soon as they'd look at you and go back on their word without a second thought." Laerthea hissed out. She took up the staff and prepared for a fight.

He gave her a sharp look. "I am not a Drow. I am a dark elf. There is a difference, you ignorant chit. Now it is not time for me to take you both back to my client so, if you please, go off and run to make this a more interesting chase for me."

She fumed at him for pointing out her lack of knowledge and placed a single hand on her hip. "Well what if we can pay you more than what Firk can."

"You're not only ignorant but blindingly stupid. You have no idea what he has paid me and I am sure you cannot match it."

Back
Top Bottom