Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Purity of Blood and Denial of Heart (Raivh & Talin)

Talin

Supernova
Kinsley stood staring into the flames of the fire in the hearth; her mind was taken back to a cold night much like the one she faced now. No happier then, than she was now. However things were changing and she was taking a daring step. Moving away from the fire she slipped the small piece of flint into her satchel and tied it tight once more. Sending Jackson out as a scout was the best thing, he was small and not easily seen. Plus if caught he could say Greyson had sent him, she was a woman and the most she was allowed to do was keep watch. A smile fell across her face as she remembered the injuries she’d caused her fake-mate, her claws tore into his flesh, her mind connecting with only his as she reminded him who the alpha was. She loathed the man and hated him for taking away everything she knew, everything she loved, everything she had. He'd destroyed her village and was trying to destroy her, but she was stronger. Tearing into him was the easiest part it was getting back home and pretending to be concerned. She didn’t tend his wounds and told him every day she hoped he died a horrible painful death, much like the one he’d given her true mate, Adrik.

Greyson leaned over her, smiling smugly. She remembered wanting to claw the smile off of his face, but being chained down she couldn’t. His cruel words reached her, “He fought for his life, but we just had to put him down. That mutt was too much of a threat, you understand.” Her lips parted and she snarled at him and green eyes watched as he paced off to the door and turned to face her once more, an evil glint in his own green eyes. “You’d be happy to know, he died with your name on his lips.” The pitiful sound of the howl she made was only drowned out by Greyson’s laugh as he left her there.

Even now the pain was real and raw. As mind numbing as it was, moving on was something she couldn’t do just yet. The front door slamming and the slap of feet over the floor caught her attention and pulled her from her memory bank. Smiling as he addressed her, she held her arms out to him and wrapped him in a warm embrace. His golden eyes twinkled up at her as she nodded in answer to his question. She knew Athelu longed to have her son back, she would fulfill that. Adrik would have wanted it that way, of this she was sure. It seemed that most days she based a lot of what she did on decisions she thought he would make. He resided in her head, his final mine reverberated and lived there. No matter how much Greyson screamed it at her Adrik’s voice rose louder and told her once again who she belonged to. She’d hoped with their last mating to have birthed him a child, but it didn’t happen. With that knowledge came the fear that perhaps she wasn’t his life-mate. Snapping back to reality Kinsley only smiled at his statement, at him, and ruffled his hair. “Get bundled up, my love, we leave in an hour. I have food enough for a week.” Tearing off a chunk for herself she smiled, “We will find your mother, I promise.”

There was no looking back now, onward through the violent storm they trod. When Jackson could no longer walk she carried him under her cloak, tucked against her chest. When dawn broke she stumbled into a cave and slept until she was strong enough to carry on. It went on like this for days, her nose was strong as well as her body, the alpha in her shining. She knew, by instinct which way Athelu would be, it was the side of Greyson’s territory where he kept his patrol stationed. He thought she was incompetent, but her mind put two and two together. Smiling as she and Jackson ran at one point, the scent of Athelu hit her nose like the slam of a fist to her gut. It brought with it Adrik. Moving under cover of night the breeched into the land marred with Athelu’s scent. She kept her hood low and Jackson’s as well. Like a good leader she spotted the scouts before they saw her, she sniffed them out, Athelu wasn’t among him but her scent lingered. Shoving Jackson behind her she snarled as they approached. A low territorial sound, she wasn’t going to turn Jackson over to anyone, but Athelu.

“I seek the one you call Athelu, her scent mars your land so do not tell me she is not here.” Her eyes landed on a tall male, his blonde hair moved in the wind as he nodded at his men and must have told them to go back to their posts. A quick snarl left her chest when he stepped toward her, “Take one more step and I shall rip your arm out of your socket. I am no weakling; I do not need your arm to guide me down a mountainside. I am here only on a mission to deliver something to her and then I shall be on my way.” Pulling her hood back she revealed herself, she knew what he’d see. As most males it was only great beauty, but Adrik had seen her strength, it was what she held to in all things. Grasping Jackson’s hand they followed the male into their village. He guided them to a courtyard of sorts and turned to walk away. Kinsley reached out her hand and gripped his arm, “Tell her it is Kinsley and I have her son.” A few moments later her eyes flew over the female as she rushed to them, Jackson did not hesitate to drop Kinsley’s hand and run to his mother. It was a bittersweet moment for Kinsley, seeing Athelu brought back so much, even Adrik’s scent. The strong musk that overpowered her as she slept, even now she knew it was only in her mind.

Kinsley watched the reunion, saw the tears in Athelu's eyes as she held her son close. Looking away, she glanced around the village. It was nice. Thinking more about where she would go, it was a simple question, but one she was not able to answer. Jackson was smart and knew when she was hurting. Rushing back to her she smiled widely and leaned down to catch him in her arms. She spun him and brushed her nose into his hair, a few deep breaths pulled his scent into her lungs. "I will miss you Jackson," the tears in her eyes threatened to fall. Smiling widely at his whispered question she gave him an affectionate squeeze, "I will ask," she whispered back. Carrying him back to Athelu she smiled, feeling very awkward. Setting him down she moved her hair out of her eyes before looking at the woman. "I would like to stay, as you know I have no pack of my own and he asked me if I would ask. I know you are his mother and I respect that, I will not overstep my bounds when it comes to him, I promise. Jackson is the only person left in the world that I consider family. I know that sounds strange coming from me, but my home was taken from me and," she paused. Her green eyes looked up into the golden ones that fell on her now. "And the love of my life was taken from me." Licking her lips she shuddered as a few quiet tears fell from her eyes. "Athelu, I come to you as a friend and I know we haven't gotten along in the past, but i'd like to change that, starting today. If you say no, I understand."

As clear as day, Athelu could remember every second since her and Adrik had escaped Greyson’s clutches. They’d been drugged to the point of losing their memory, but the effects hadn’t kicked in until after they’d torn out the throats of the men who were to be their murderers. It had been a year since then. And they had seen no sight of Kinsley. Not in his right mind, at least not entirely, Adrik had taken Athelu as a mate. She bore his scent because he’d mated with her before, but not his mark. Not once in their bed had that man ever lost his wits enough to sink fang and claw into her skin, to fully claim her as his as their kind had for centuries.

There was always something that stopped him; a flicker in his eye that drew him out of his lust just long enough to distance himself before the bite. So far away from her, yet something deep in his gut seemed to sense that his fated partner wasn’t in this village, wasn’t the woman he took to bed night after night. And she had borne him no children, given him no heir. That was the most stressful of all, but had been fixed with the birth of a youngster she had taken under her wing, had claimed was his son. He realized immediately that the boy wasn’t his, that the child didn’t carry his scent, but when he questioned Athelu about it, angered at first, after they had talked, he accepted the boy as his son. She was barren, she told him, and he believed her. Wandering outside with Adrik, she froze when she caught way of a familiar scent, and a chill raced the length of her spine. In the course of a year, she hadn’t smelled that woman, had only seen her face in Adrik’s eyes, his soul torn from hers and howling mournfully.

It wasn’t until her brother came racing toward her, shouting into her mind that her son had been found, and that a strange woman was the one that brought him, that Athelu began to fret. Her stomach plummeted with her heart, and she whipped her gaze to Adrik, urging the blind man to go back home. She would be back soon.

Hesitant at first, the moment she glimpsed Jackson’s young face, the female felt a part of her heart return to her. It pained her to have him pull away from her, to run back to Kinsley, but she didn’t speak, not just yet. Her chest tightened when Jackson voiced his desire for the woman to stay, and Kinsley reiterated. Mind swirling, a hint of fear in her eyes, Athelu forced a kind smile onto her face. After all, Kinsley had brought her son to her, had returned Jackson. Then she began to speak of her home, of her love—Adrik. Athelu’s heart beat swiftly against her ribs, her throat thick with guilt and jealousy. Adrik didn’t love her; it had dawned on her many, many times, and no matter how many times he said it, she could tell the words held no truth. She stood there, silent, for a long moment before responding. Every bone in her body cried out that allowing Kinsley to stay would be the end of her relationship with Adrik, of their mating. Even if he didn’t love her, she loved him.

“Yes.” Unsure of where the agreement came from, what part of her spoke it strongly, Athelu smiled. “Yes, you may stay. You’ve given me great happiness by bringing my son to me.” Stepping forward, she leaned down to brush her lips over Jackson’s head, and then stood to wrap her arms in cordial welcome around Kinsley. Somehow, Adrik would have to be kept away from Kinsley, but Athelu knew that would be almost impossible. Adrik was the alpha of this pack, the leader; he would scent Kinsley the moment she stepped into the village. And Athelu worried that if he recognized Kinsley’s scent, he would recall the past, remember that she was his mate, that she was an alpha, and know that she bore his mark.

“Come with me and we’ll see that you eat well tonight. You look thin, Kinsley,” Athelu commented, taking the young woman’s hand and leading her toward home. It was a short trek, and once there the smell of cooked meats and vegetables met their noses. Athelu kept glancing toward her brother walking beside them. The male had his eyes on Kinsley, his nostrils flared and his brow furrowed.

She is alpha, Athelu.

Athelu swallowed hard. Of that I am aware, brother. Here, she is just a friend, an old friend.

“How did you know he was my son?” Athelu asked, donning that same friendly smile as she released Kinsley’s hand upon entering her brother’s house. The scent of another male’s musk would be enough to cover up Adrik’s own. There was a young woman stirring a pot in his home, and the towering man walked over and placed a large hand on her shoulder, a soft smile on his face. She stood and returned his smile before exiting the house, telling him that the food was ready. Athelu received a bowl from her brother and filled it with stew, passing it to Kinsley. Her eyes flitted to the door, to her home across the way where Adrik and their son were.

Kinsley knew the hesitation, understood the reservation. The duo of women hadn’t gotten along in the past. What could have possibly changed between them? Time, her green eyes fell to Jackson. She wanted to see the boy grow into a man. Though time had yet to heal her wounds completely, she knew he was the key. She could teach him to be a strong leader; she knew she had it in her. Her fire hadn’t burned out, what Adrik found and tried to nurture in her hadn’t left. Golden eyes flitted over her face as a wide smile formed on her pink lips. She sank into Athelu’s grasp. “Thank you,” Perhaps she could come to think of her as another mother. At only 20, she was still coming into her own skin and figuring out her place in the world.

Smiling she took Athelu’s hand as she guided her; “I haven’t been cared for since…” she trailed off. Closing her eyes and letting the other female lead her. It was hard. Hard not to think of him, being here, in her presence brought him back all the more. She felt the other male’s eyes on her and heard his constant sniffing of her. She was trying not to show her annoyance or allow her temper to flare, she knew her heat was close; that was the single reason she had planned their escape when she did. Leaving before it welled up enough to be tracked exactly. Her green gaze lifted to Athelu’s, “Um… well the eyes and his scent, both are yours. It’s not something I would soon forget.” Her eyes locked on Athelu’s golden. There was something there she wasn’t saying, but Kinsley refused to believe the woman would hold much against her now.

Kinsley smiled at Jackson then turned to Athelu, “I’m sure your mate would be glad to have him back, unless you are widowed as well.” She ate swiftly the thick stew was welcome in her system. Her body was chilled, having never truly been warm since being forced to remain as mate for Greyson. “He eats like a horse, this one.” She ruffled Jackson’s hair from across the table as he laughed and kicked his feet. They had been like brother and sister since Greyson took Adrik away from her. “I made sure each day was filled with laughter, and he knew YOU were his mother.” She felt the bitterness welling up inside her and wanted to toss the niceties to the side and demand why she was alive and her mate, a man twelve times stronger, was dead. What deal had she made?

She tried hard to push emotions aside and not blame Athelu; it was quite possible that they had threatened him with her death, maybe even told him they had already killed her. Knowing Adrik, he’d have given up his life for hers or Athelu’s. She’d have done the same for him, same as when they faced the hunter the night he marked her. Though she sat returning the woman’s smile, Kinsley was throttling the woman in her head. Her face stayed this firm mask as those around her ate. Glad someone could be happy in her misery. Wrapping her arms around herself, she stifled a yawn. The long day that had started with a predawn dip in the stream was weighing heavy on her worn body. “Where will I sleep?”

Trayton liked the fire he’d seen in the female’s eyes when she threatened him earlier, it made him want to laugh. An alpha she was, surely his sister would see to it that she was taken care of. “Why not offer her a place to stay?” He raised a blonde brow in his sister’s direction when he heard her question. Noting the scowl and worry he made a daring suggestion. “Why not allow your guest to become mate to your fiercest hunter, that way she would be protected and have a companion?” He smiled at his brilliant suggestion, “He’d be great company, I might add.”

Kinsley rolled her eyes at the male; she didn’t need another cocky, confident male in her life. Not after the last one had left so suddenly. Her heart ached for him every day, they had just come together. Had just found a common ground, one where she could submit to his will. The night they marked each other everything went to hell because of Athelu. Snarling she reached a hand up and stroked her shoulder, eyes locking with Athelu. Each knew what she was reliving as she sat there next to the tall blonde male. Her green eyes grew cold. “I’d prefer to be the hunter. I need no male, my heat will wane.” Her eyes floated to the male. His eyes were green, much like her own he wasn’t bad looking, but he wasn’t Adrik. Looking back to Athelu she shook her head trying to clear Adrik’s words away, his MINE still firmly ricocheting through.

“She’s going into heat soon; I can smell it and something should be done. It is bound to drive all the men in the village, insane. Forgive me for putting it bluntly.” He smiled at her and watched her eat a moment. “Athelu?”

Growling at the male Kinsley stood and knocked the bowl from his hand. She reared back and snarled in his face, “Sniffing and trailing me as you are doesn’t make it better.” Looking at Jackson she lowered her voice and hissed, “I suggest you back off before I break you!” Jackson giggled. Kinsley sat, “I will have no other male! Adrik was my mate, the only man I would EVER allow in my bed. YOU are nothing like him. Do not allow yourself to think you well enough to maintain me! I refuse to bend my will to the likes of you when my mate hadn’t been able to tame me yet AND I loved him!”

Out of habit she bent, kissed the top of Jackson’s head while tugging his earlobe and whispering, “Sleep well love.” Grasping her pack she nodded her head and stood in the outside. “I will sleep within your territory, goodnight.” Her words were meant for Athelu, though her green glare took in each adult. She stomped up into the woods behind the house they were in. Men were not a necessary need for her, there was only one man that had ever been necessary. Kinsley tore her dress off and transformed from human to lycan, her white fur a stark contrast to the dark woods around her. Travelling high up in the mountains tan skin sat against the white bit of snow at that elevation, dark hair whipped into frenzy by the frigid air around her. Green mournful eyes lifted to the night sky when she let her tears fall.

Back
Top Bottom