Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

the farm's new packmule (DJ and Darkat25)

Darren sighed as he stared out the window of the bus. His family was sending him out to a farm that his dad knew was owned by a friend of a fellow employee. Usually he was comfortable just either studying or playing games, either by himself or occasionally multiplayer online. But his parents decided suddenly that he needed to get out more and get some fresh air and hard work. He watched the large fields roll by as the bus drove along the country road. He closed his eyes, wondering if there was even the possibility of wifi or even a possible internet connection at the ranch he was heading to. Hell he would settle for at least cable as long as it meant something he could do instead of dealing with the family that owned the farm. He grunted as the bus came to a sudden stop, saying that they had arrived and for him to grab his luggage. He sighed and climbed off the bus, grabbing his bags out of the undersection of the bus and looked at the large ranch house with barn and silo, noting the chicken coops, and smaller barns for what he guessed were for pigs and maybe cows judging by the stench in the air. He sighed and opened the gate and was instantly met by a large barking dog, causing him to jump back and drop his bags, running and climbing up the large pillar of the sign for the ranch, keeping out of reach of the howling hound.

Eve had seen the bus coming up and she only giggled as she watched Rex startle the guy. She stepped out of the house wearing a tight pair of jeans and a tank top. She ran down the dirt path towards the scene that was putting her into more hysterics. "Rex, down boy!" she laughed, clapping her hands to distract him. "You must be Darren," she called up to him, as the dog started to run towards her. He was a poodle and chocolate lab mix. She had her long brown hair clipped back out of her face with her bands hanging slightly into her face. "It's alright now," she said, squating down to pet the dog behind his ears. She then smiled as she looked back up towards him. "I heard you're addicted to the indoors, guess you aren't gonna be quite too happy to be here."

He sighed as the dog was called away, noticing the girl running over and laughing somewhat at his expense. "Not so much addicted as I just prefer to study and keep to myself." He said simply as he noticed the girl. She was somewhat cute but her attitude was one that he had seen a thousand times in his daily life. "And yes my name's Darren." he said, shifting his bangs a bit so that the glare from the sun wouldn't bother his eyes as much. Hie looked around at the farm and then wondered if this was most likely the daughter and where her father was, hoping he was more of a rational and calm thinker like himself, rather than what seemed like a bit of an airhead like the daughter here.

(can I tell you that BM didn't even tell me that there was a new post in here. Sorry its been so long for a reply!)

"Can't really keep to yourself on a farm in such a small town, everyone knows each other. It's quite the cliche," she said as she shrugged her shoulders, standing up straight. She then started to walk towards her house, calling over her shoulder at him, "Daddy is in the kitchen... Come on." The dog followed after her, sometimes lagging behind to nip at the heels of the boy as if he were trying to heard him. She would then call the dog back up, knowing that it would be much too annoying for someone who seemed to be so ill tempered. When she got to the house she let the screen door slam as Darren approached the door, "Hey daddy. That boy is here. Seems a bit of a brat to me." She then made her way out of the house from the back door, off to start on her own daily chores.

(lol not a problem. stuff like that happens)

He rolled his eyes as she said he wouldn't be keeping to himself much. He knew that he'd have to interact some but he planned on keeping it to a minimum. He followed her, jumping a bit as the dog nipped at his heels a few times. "I know where i'm going. I'm not a sheep. Though i'm beginning to feel like one." he said after his parents had almost tricked him into going to the ranch but in the end pretty much forced him to go. He walked inside, closing the screen door and simply gave a glare at her when she called him a brat. "probably takes one to know one." he said. This girl was definitely on his 'to ignore' list for the duration of his sentence here.

Before leaving the house, she heard his comment. She just turned around, sticking her tongue out at him. She then pushed her way through the screen door in the kitchen and left out towards the chicken coop. She took to her chores as she always did, doing them as soon as she can so she could run around doin what she wanted.

Meanwhile, her father was introducing himself to the boy showing him his room. He filled him in on all of his own daily chores and that the only internet in the whole house ran through his daughters room so if he needed it, he'd have to talk to her. There was no wifi. He then told him that he had to go into town for the afternoon, so if he needed anything Eve was his go to.

He rolled his eyes at her sticking her tongue out and listened to the father as he listed the daily chores he would have to be doing. He instantly had a look of dread as he was told he was to be cleaning out the animal stalls. Even a recluse like himself knew that meant shoveling a lot of shit. He sighed and gave a 'tch' of displeasure, hearing there was no internet except for Eve's as well as a tense of disappointment that he would be stuck alone with Eve and a bunch of animals for the entire afternoon.

Eve finished her chores. They didn't consist of much. She kept the house clean, took care of the chickens, and milked the cows. Also she cooked, but she didn't need to do so again until after lunch time. She then met her father at his truck to see him off. "Ill see you later, dont forget the grocery list too," she said, handing her father the things they would need for that week. She then set off to look around the farm, wondering what Darren was up to already.

Darren sighed as he headed out to the barn to get to cleaning. He had read up on farmwork before coming, since he knew that he would have to or else he wouldn't eat, going off logic from a lot of old tv shows and movies he had watched online. He went into the barn and was nearly knocked out by the stench right then and there. He struggled and leaned against the wall, shaking his head a bit as he tried to get used to the smell. He shivered and moved over to the nearest stall which contained a large brown stallion. He looked at the creature, blinked a few times, then turned and left. He knew that since he was new that the beast would probably not listen to a word he gave and figured since he had a big lunch he would be fine missing dinner for tonight anyway.

Eve saw him walking away from the barn and placed her hands on her hips, "What do you think you are doin? Get your ass back into that barn and do your job!" She knew that there was no way that she was gonna get onto his good side but she figured she'd make him do what her daddy would have wanted him to. "Stop wasting your time and everyone elses. It's not that hard," she said as she started towards him, going to open the barn doors. "Ill help you since it's your first day."

He groaned, figuring it was just his luck that she had caught him leaving right away from his job. "not so much the fact that I can't do it, the cleaning part anyway. It's the fact that considering that horse has no idea who I am, it could just simply think i'm some sort of intruder and try to stomp the hell out of me the second i try and get it out of the stall to clean it. And how exactly am I wasting your time, you could have just let me not do it and take all the heat from your dad when he got back."

Eve just shook her head forgetting anything he had said. "Horses are easy creatures. As long as you come to them assertivly, they'll have no issues with you." She then opened up the first stall and then started to move the horse to the next one over. "Now, go on and clean it," she said as she started to climb up one of the gates to simply sit on it. She figured she'd have nothing better to do, so she'd just order him around a bit.

He rolled his eyes at her and went back into the barn. He grabbed a shovel and began cleaning up the horse droppings. he noticed her sitting on the fence and gave a smirk, shoveling some of the crap and shifted it behind him into a pile to move elsewhere. However one move he made almost landed a good amount of it on her legs had it not landed a bit short. He then continued cleaning up the crap before brushing out the old straw to replace it with fresh stuff.

"Wow you are a natural shoveler, I suppose you've got the rest on your own," she said as she hopped down from the fence. After the move that almost landed horse shit all over her leg, she wasn't too keen on staying there with him. She then started towards the house, "I suppose Ill just start on lunch." She then started towards the house, whistling for the dog.

He rolled his eyes as she said he was a natural shoveler. He sighed and finished moving the dirty straw and dung out. He then went over the large horse and looked it in the eye, placing a hand on it's neck as he guided it back to the stall. It seems she was right and that it was just a matter of him not having any hesitation. He got the horse in and gave it a pat on the neck before moving off to clean the next stall. He repeated the process over the next hour or so, soon coming out of the stall with a small amount of the horse manure on his legs as he had been knocked down into a small pile from a whack by one of the stallion's tail. He sniffed himself and gave a wince of displeasure at his own stench. "Ugh damn. I need a serious shower." he said as he went towards the house.

"What are you doin?" she called out to him from the porch swing, looking him over. "Didn't daddy tell you that you needed to fix that fence over there and then transfer the hay from up in the barn down so we can feed the animals?" she asked as she looked him over. She then yawned as she leaned back, kicking her legs up a little, rocking herself on the swing a bit. She then leaned forward so that her feet planted her on the ground smiling as she watched him. "Hammer and nails are in the barn on a hook. Then the boards are behind the barn. Also, the pitch for is already in the hay loft. So you can just pitch the hay down to the ground. Just need about five or six things," she said, before kicking herself back again.

He stopped and his eye twitched a bit. "hope your dad's been looking for a drinking buddy because I'm definitely going to need one after this is all done." he said as he went back into the barn to grab the hammer and nails. He then went over to the broken section of fence and used the hammer to pull out the nails of the old boards so he could put in the new ones. He tried to make sure the pieces were level as he began nailing the wood together, but of course he slammed the hammer down on his finger, letting out a string of curse words that would have had a new jersey cab driver blushing.

Eve could hear the muffled shouting of pain from the long distance away. The dogs ears pearked up and she started to laugh. The dog on the other hand started to bark, running after the noise. "Oh no! Rex come here boy!" she said as she started to run after him, figuring that she should check on the boy anyways. She came upon the scene, chuckling a little and rubbing the back of her head gently. "Oh well, looks like you hit your thumb," she said as she walked closer towards him. She then squated next to him, holding out her hand, "Let me see?" She smiled as she looked at him, looking more sincere and caring than he could have ever imagined possible.

he groaned as he waved his hand a bit, wincing in pain as his finger throbbed red and was swollen a bit. "Damn, that's gonna be sore in the morning." he put his thumb in his mouth and bit down a little, noticing that it hurt but not a ton. He gave a sigh of relief that it wasnt broken, probably just a good amount of broken veins causing the swelling. He looked at her as she said he hit his thumb. "really, and here I was thinking I had just hit my ear." he said with a bit of sarcasm, yet a little bit of a smirk showing he wasn't totally trying to be rude. he held it up, the thumb red and throbbing. "Not broken thankfully, just gonna be seriously annoying for the next few days." he said, jumping a bit as the dog barked behind him. "that's gonna take a little getting used to though."

"Shut up rex!" she said, pushing the dog away from them. She then took his hand, gently, between both of hers. She turned it over and then smiled as she pulled his hand up to her mouth and gently kissed his thumb. "There you go, all better," she then turned bright red as she realized what she had done. It was something she had always done, for all the workers, since she was little. She forgot that he wasn't used to her, let alone knew that she tended to such little things. She then got up and stretched a little, before heading back towards the house. She sun was slowly setting over the horizon and she figured she would go start on dinner.

He blinked and Shivered a bit when she took his hand, more from the slight pain of her touching the injured hand. Though a second later his eyes widened and he blushed a bit, mentally feeling like he just got hit by a 200 mile an hour snowball in July. (Aka a wtf brain frozen in midthought moment lol) when she stood up he gave a light cough and nodded, resuming work on the fence, albeit a bit slower due to not wanting to aggravate his injured thumb.

Blackness soon canvesed the whole farm after Eve started on dinner. She knew that he would be coming in soon but figured he would possibly ignore her going on with his things as she finished with dinner. She was frying up some pork chops and some green beans with some mashed potatos. Her father was still out in town. She yawned as she flipped a pork chop and then turned around looking around the kitchen thinking what she should do as she waited.

After several minutes he walked back in carrying the tool box, his hand wrapped in a bit of cloth to keep the swelling down a bit. He went over to the refrigerator and grabbed some ice which he wrapped in the cloth and held it on his thumb with a shiver and sigh of relief. "fence is fixed and stalls are all cleaned out." he sniffed himself again and shivered. "though I definitely need that shower now. Sweat and manure are not a pretty combo."

"Alright," Eve said as she looked over towards him. "Go upstairs the bathroom is the second to the left and the towels are in the bathroom closet," she said before finishing up dinner. "Everything should be ready in five minutes, just so you know," she was taking the pork chops off the stove along with the fresh green beans. Now all she had to do was mash up potatos and start a gravy in the pork pan.

He nodded at her. "I'll be down probably when the food is ready give or take a minute." he headed upstairs and went into the bathroom. He then took off his clothes and set them on the floor to take care of later. He turned on the water and waited for it to warm up before stepping in to scrub the dirt off his body and hair. After several minutes of scrubbing he finally was cleaned and decent smelling. He shivered as he grabbed a towel and blinked, realizing his blunder as he had forgotten to take a change of clothes in with him. He cursed under his breath, opening the door a crack to listen if she was still downstairs or not.

Back
Top Bottom