Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Looking for angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosdreams

Meteorite
Going through this life, looking for angels…
.everywhere I go
Pawns: Taishe
.looking for angels
.people passing by
Setting: The Retreat, a hidden sanctuary for those not quite normal.
.looking for angels

The world without:

The past decade has seen a rise and growth of people with strange and/or unexplained “powers”. They are not mutants. They are, genetically, no different from any other person they are surrounded with and by. Some are almost unnoticeable, they can move the air in their direction, they can see in almost any light condition. Small things that most see as so little it doesn’t matter. The fear however, of this being some kind of disease or condition has not left the human mindset, and the fear still prevails in many urban areas, even where tolerance is touted. This rise in anger and hatred led to groups that have risen up to become more powerful than those who believe that these new people are harmless. Mankind has always been afraid of what he cannot understand, and this particular case in no different than any of the previous cases in the past.

The world within:

Most of the ones who have been marked as different have learned that to be open and honest with the people just invites more trouble than it’s worth. They have retreated, becoming seclusive and hermit-like. A few of the more powerful families with members that are different as well have pooled resources to create a safe haven, a sanctuary for those who have or will at some point face ignorance and the horrific behavior that can occur from it.

The new world:

The Retreat is that place. Nestled deep within the Koryak Mountains in Siberia, along the northernmost edge of Russia in the inhospitable area that no one seems to ever want to go. The compound was built with the idea that cabin fever should never occur. It spans two full acres, with indoor sports areas, complete with grass and sun lamps to create the feel of summer or late spring. There are three indoor heated and non heated olympic size pools, a sauna and full gym that the most devoted bodybuilder would be proud of.

Besides the unprecedented use of what is at its most simplest form, biohabitational construction, the Retreat also offers a full hospital. It’s staff is populated by medical doctors and researchers alike. All work on whatever is handy. There are a few geneticists who have not quite given up the idea that somewhere is a key to a possible recessive gene that is causing all the mayhem. The staff are all dedicated believers in equality, no matter the circumstance. A benefit everyone has felt keenly.

There are nine different wings, each one with a main hub that is linked to the rest with long corridors, all span out from the central living tower. The tower has six different levels. The top two are used almost exclusively for any and all cooking that goes on. The others are all different types of living areas, such as the game room, filled to the brim with every console imaginable, as well as board games. There is a state of the art computer lab, not to mention the personal laptops for all of the residents. A cinema, stage complete with karaoke, a library filled to the brim with books and e-book readers, and of course, the communal den fill out the rest of the floors.

Each wing has three different levels. The bottom floor holds the common room. The second and third floors are the boy and girls dormitories. Each room is a suite, complete with it’s own bathroom and attached sitting room.

The world and its people:

In order of importance:

Judy Goodspeed-Formal Operations Director
Alex Longin-Assistant Director
Raikhail Davidoff-Scholastic Advisor
To be continued...

Going through this life, looking for angels…
.everywhere I go
Pawns: Taishe
.looking for angels
.people passing by
Setting: The Retreat, a hidden sanctuary for those not quite normal.
.looking for angels
Scene: Taishe has just arrived because she has nowhere else to go.

She got off the helicopter with a scowl. The long cashmere scarf wrapped around her smooth neck was itching, her sensitive skin reacting to even the softest of wool. Her eyes were flashing, tendrils of fear and resentment twisting together to expertly she couldn’t tell where one started and the other began. Long strands of pure black wound through the knit hat to drift down upon the angles of her face, caressing the icy slash of cheekbones. The eyes were almond shaped, and currently narrowed at the welcoming party that managed to hold up their brightly colored signs and not look like complete morons. The color was an unexpected bright touch against the pale alabaster of her complexion, bright imperial jade. Instead of softening the look, it made her appear that much more fierce, hiding the scared and vulnerable child within like a well worn mask that slid into place expertly and easily.

“Miss Kisamoto! Over here!” She turned her head towards the center of the bundled group where a matronly old woman, wrapped up like a holiday goose in a dark brown quilted jacket that did nothing for her plump figure awaited, waving with bright cranberry encased hands. Sighing with regret and sardonic appreciation of the all together weirdness of what was to come, she begrudgingly moved through the deep, ankle high snow to reach the small group of people standing near the main lodge.
“Welcome to The Koryak Mountain Retreat! We’re so glad to have you! Come in, come in, let’s get you out of the cold.” With that, she was ushered into a cold room entry, where the door whisked shut with a soft whoosh of air. Instantly, the room became warmer, and the protective layer of garments started to feel like thick wet blankets. Tai shrugged them off without a word. She was not happy with this arrangement, not at all. And no happy little mother hen was going to change her mind about it either.

“Well, everybody, time for chores, it’s almost daybreak! Now, Miss Kisamoto, will you walk with me? Oh dearie me, have I forgotten to introduce myself again? Gosh darn it, I just have to start taking those memory vitamins again. My name is Mrs.Goodwin.” The others scattered off like dust in the face of a small but determined broom. The woman looked like she belonged in a house baking cookies for her grandchildren, and had a handshake that rivaled most politicians. “Now, we’ve heard about the generous donation your father decided to grant us, and I’ve heard that you yourself have an amazing collection of art and antiques for someone your age.”, she said it with a smile, but with just a sly touch of humor.

i]Dammit, she knew all about it.[/i] This was definitely somebody to look out for. Her unassuming exterior was very well crafted to hide a sharp, seeking little mind. She belonged in a British spy series as the little wife who stabs her husband in the back, then proceeds to make dinner with his body in the back freezer. Oh well, there goes all the fun that could have been had here. Out the window. Thanks, dear old dad.

Tai schooled her expression to one of worry with a slight marring of her brows. “I’m afraid I don’t understand, I was under the impression my father would be coming here as well? Where is he? Will he be here soon? I-I thought…Oh, I’m such a fool.” She turned away, but not before she let a glimmer of tears shine beneath her lashes as she swept them down, as if to hide her tears and weakness. She felt a hand on her shoulder, gentle. “Now, now dearie, don’t you worry. I’m sure we’ll figure it all out. Now why don’t you go and have a lay-down.” As they crossed the hallways, Tai kept her head down, but she was memorizing the small area of the layout as she came across it piece by piece. She just needed to get out and take a look around, then she could figure out if she wanted to stay.

They turned one last time, and entered though a set of double doors. “This whole wing is for people with.. similar abilities such as yourself. Makes it easier to get to know each other and be comfortable. Here’s your new room. There are locks, but you won’t get a key until you have passed orientation. Now, you have two hours to unwind before then. Have a good nap, or unpack, or just explore. You’re free to do whatever you want dear.” The matron turned away, adding over her shoulder, “But if I catch you with anything that’s not yours, I’ll see to it you never leave this place, understand?” Tai nodded, keeping her eyes down. We’ll see, she thought. We’ll just see.

Time to get ready for some action, she thought, hearing the soft padding of the crepe-soled shoes of the lady fade away. Tai let the clothes fall to the ground as she immaterialized, looking through her bag for some real clothes. She turned towards the window to watch the outside snow pile up as she dresses, pulling soft, well worn jeans on over black leggings. Grabbing a long sleeve shirt, she thrust her arms through , pulling it down over the camisole, layering the lacy purple and black. She turned towards the bathroom, checking out the toilet, small stand shower and pathetic excuse for counter space. Well, better than sharing a bathroom. She grabbed some eyeliner, drawing quickly, with an inborn talent. Her eyes were now deeper, more mysterious. She smoothed her bangs, making sure they were even over her eyebrows, the think line accentuating the angles of her face with their blunt cut.

Now, time to go get 'em tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom