Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

She smiled and sang with him, listening to songs and singing some she'd heard as well. It seemed to keep everyone in high spirits, not to mention herself. Candira couldn't really remember the last time she'd felt so good. And she was happy to be around Rafe. She leaned against him now and then and shared a little bit of her food for a small lunch with him.

Finally, they were nearing the capitol as the daylight was just beginning to fade. She followed his eyes to the rather imposing but lovely image of the bustling capitol. "That it is," she said with a smile. "I take it you've never been?" She looked on at the sprawling city that was growing beyond tall walls with impressive gates.

He shook his head softly. "I did not know people could build such things..." He was looking at the tall buildings, the monuments and great temples, and the Royal Palace of Helios, the Land of the Sun, with a great, glittering gold dome atop one of the tall towers to catch the light and rays of the sun on it. There was great library for seekers of knowledge, mages, and clerics alike. And the temples were large and grand, truly the houses of the gods. "I have never seen such things..." The walls surrounding the city were equally impressive, giant, armed with ballistae and catapults, tall and thick.

She smiled at him and his reaction. Honestly, she'd reacted just about the same way when she'd seen the capitol for the first time. She leaned against him a little and smiled at it. "It's a wonderful place. I love coming to visit. It really is breathtaking." She turned to him and watched him curiously. "There's a seemingly endless amount of information to be gathered in a place like this. Before we agree to anything, I suggest taking a listen around town. And before we leave there are people I would speak with about my standing in a number of circles, as well as your powers."

She frowned. "I know it troubles you, and I will promise you that if you really want me to cease seeking knowledge about this, I will. But I really just want to understand it. You'll never know when knowledge will give you an advantage." With that, she waited for his response, wondering if she'd ruined everything. She probably had. Why couldn't she just keep her nose out of things? She frowned and looked down, feeling guilty for even mentioning something that affected him so profoundly.

Rafe looked at her. He didn't want anything to do with his powers. He wanted them behind him and forgotten. But they weren't going away. And he feared for Candira. Greatly so. This seemed important to her and perhaps it would really help him. He smiled softly and nodded slowly. "I'll go with you wherever you like. You know this city and I do not. If you think someone here might be able to help me...I will go with you and see them. Besides..." He shrugged softly. "I'm your retainer...you command, I follow, m'lady." He smiled a bit.

She smiled at him, so glad that he had been willing to come with. After that awful nightmare, she wanted to know just what she was dealing with. Perhaps if Rafe knew as well, he could be helped. Happy that he'd decided to join her, she threw her arms around him and hugged him tight. "Thank you, Rafe." She smiled and stayed there for a few moments before pulling away.

Rafe smiled and hugged her tight. Inwardly, he was in fear of having to face this dark creature within him, but for Candira, he'd attempt to do so. The caravan was headed to market and they were paid a minor sum, considering they got the travel, food, and lodging for free. Rafe looked at Candira and smiled just a bit. "So...where to now? I would like to see some of the temples here before we go..."

"Certainly. We'll meet up with my merchant friend so we can travel lightly and then do a little sight-seeing. I told the people in the capitol that I had some things to take care of in the capitol before I see them. We have until tomorrow," she said, stretching. She made sure to put her portion of the protection fee into her purse and guard it carefully.

Rafe nodded slowly to her and smiled softly. "I'll follow you anywhere here, m'lady. I heard Helios was host to a great zoo and gardens with exotic creatures and plants from far and wide." Rafe felt his blood pumping with excited vigor. Life with Candira was only getting better and for the first time in a long time, he was excited at the promise of adventure. This mysterious job promised pay and it was certainly going to be a surprise. Something to look forward to.

"I'm so glad you'll be with me. I'd forgotten how nice it was to have company...especially when you care so much about each other." Though Candira certainly cared deeply for Rafe, she didn't want to put words into his mouth with "love." In any case, she was glad that he was with her. "I'll show you as many things as I can before we leave, and we can always come back after the job. There's plenty of missions available here," she said with a grin.

Rafe smiled softly and let her lead him for the day. Wherever they went, he was content simply to be with her. The Helios Zoo and Gardens were a sight to see, with giant flowers, great exotic beasts, both mundane and unnatural, and oddities of both the plant and animal world. The Temple of Sin was low lit as Rafe had come to expect of such temples, and much like the others, there was a great orb suspended from the top with candles lit on a certain side so that those entering the temple could see the phase of the moon for tonight. Unlike the others, this stone was Moonstone, rare fallen Star Metal from the heavens that oddly amplified the light and looked like a miniature moon. A great statue on one half of the temple showed Lord Sin as the bright and shining guide to the lost, and the other side had a statue that showed him was the wrathful avenger. Rafe was in awe and he spent several minutes praying. There was a plaque dedicated to "The Pain of Lord Sin" detailing his never ending pursuit of the sun goddess, his one true love. He pursues her unceasingly across the night sky, sometimes out of love, sometimes out of furious wrath for her since he can never truly have her. It was said that when his love for her waxes strong, her's wanes and her hate for him grows, and vice versa, each sending the other messages of love through intermediaries, avatars, and lesser gods. It is only during the eclipse that they are ever join and their fiery passions ignite for each other, engulfing the world in their rapturous ecstasy. Sexual rites between a priest of the moon god and a priestess of the sun goddess were usually performed once or twice a year, meant to help them possess mortal form, embody their passions, and ease their distance from one another.

Near it was the Temple of the Weaver, the patron of Artists and the granter of Visions and Signs. She painted the night with stars, weaving her tapestries over the night and painting designs into the night sky. The temple was decorated with all manner of fine art and the ceiling, walls, and floor were all decorated with an extensive mural that depicted the constellations of the night sky brought to life and given form. While Rafe said a prayer to Sin for protection of his soul, he said a prayer to the Weaver for guidance.

((If you wanna detail other temples and introduce other gods, feel free ^^ Adds richness to the world.))

Before they went sight-seeing, they stopped by the merchant's large home and dropped off their things, letting him know their plans. They had a large dinner waiting for them, so they were to come back around sunset. After a round of introductions, a tour of the place, and the stashing of their goods, the two were off.

Candira had been to many of these places by herself, but it was much more fun to see them with someone else--especially if they were seeing it for the first time. She held his hand some of the day and let it go others, happily guiding him to the most impressive temples she could think of and a few she'd never seen before. She smiled and bought some vendor food for a light lunch and a taste of the culture while they went to each of the temples on their list.

((I'll introduce more later, I think. Not feeling super creative at the moment))

As night fell over the city, Rafe looked up at the stars. There was something that felt off. Something amiss, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Something inside him that liked the night and all that it represented. Still, he looked at Candira and smiled softly. "So...did you want to visit these black mages tonight or wait until tomorrow? I am rather tired from all the walking today...its been quite a trip so far."

She stretched as the sun began to set, night already peering at them. "Hmmm, we can visit them before we leave the capitol," she said. "Tonight it is too late, and we're due back for supper," she said, taking his hand. "Besides, we're both tired. Let's get some rest." With that, she smiled and led him back to the merchant's home for a veritable feast.

Rafe was lively at the dinner, laughing and enjoying himself. But he excused himself early and left for upstairs as the others finished their dinner. Rafe and Candira shared a room, by this point that was not a big deal. But when Candira slowly walked upstairs, she found Rafe, shirtless, just staring outside at the night sky. Something felt weird, the world felt like a dream at this point. There was a raven at the window, noiselessly pecking around the stonework.

Candira stayed behind and spoke with her friend awhile longer before turning in for the night. When she walked into the bedroom she saw Rafe standing there and was momentarily caught up in the joy of knowing that he would be here...but something wasn't right. Instantly, dread filled her and she felt her heart skip a beat as she saw the raven.

"Rafe?"

Much like on the caravan on that first day, Rafe slowly turned his head to face her in a rather bird-like manner. His eyes were glowing an intense red and his face had a look of fathomless fury. An aura of fear blasted from him, so palpable that the dust on the floor slowly rolled away from him with a gentle current, as if even the inanimate had cause to flee.

But this time, he didn't snap out of it. Slowly he turned to face her and when his mouth opened, it was that voice of power from her dream, the same voice of that great raven that showed her the fight between Rafe and Fate. "Do you fear, child?"

She gasped softly and felt her hair stand on end as he turned to face her like that. The bird from the dream was definitely some sort of spirit that was possessing Rafe, but she needed to understand why. She was, indeed a little afraid because she didn't know what it was she was dealing with. She set down her staff and looked at the being who'd shown her such horrifying images. It addressed her as though she were insignificant, and she supposed she really was.

"Should I not fear you?" she asked, managing to sound respectful, frightened, and calm all at once.

There was a deep, rumbling chuckle that seemed as though it should have shaken the house. "He will not allow you to come to harm, and as I am bound to him, so am I bound to that. But you must know that this idealism cannot last. Men intent on violence and brutality for their own gain, men possessed of such intent that they care not what sacrifices are made are intent on finding Rafe and destroying him to advance themselves. If they can so be called men anymore..."

The creature looked at her and stepped towards her, his feet making the sound of talons clicking on hardwood. "You wish to stop such men?"

As he told her the idealism couldn't last, she felt her heart grow heavier, but she nodded. He was right, and judging by the vision he'd shown her, he thought it would end a great deal more gruesomely. "The Black Riders? I'm not sure they were ever men," she said, her expression darkening as she remembered the horrors they'd done to her home in just a few short days. "I wish to stop anyone who would destroy Rafe, but especially the men who pursue him now..." Sighing softly she stared at the creature, still a little unnerved, but much more calm than she had been.

"Who are you?"

An unnatural, wicked grin spread across his face and he dramatically and suddenly raised his arms, a pair of great black wings spreading out behind him, almost filling the room not just with feathers, but with inky black tendrils that cast shadows over everything. "I am a great Holy Beast, the mighty Raven Lord!" With that, the vision, if it was such a thing, ended. The glowing eyes, the dark wings, the aura, it simply vanished as if unable to sustain itself. Rafe's eyes sleepily focused on her for a moment before Rafe started to fall, stone asleep.

The grin frightened her a bit and she backed up just a bit as the wings spread out and filled the room. Her heart skipped a beat but she committed to memory the name. She would have to tell Rafe about this at some point-- a thing she did not truly relish doing. but she would do it. And then the wicked spirit was gone and Rafe was falling. She rushed to him and caught him in her arms before he could completely fall. She held him close to her, keeping him in her arms for the longest moment before she got him into bed. She kissed his forehead, glad to have him back and then changed into her night clothes. Moments later she was in bed with him her arms wrapped tightly and protectively around him. It would be a long long time before she fell asleep.

When sleep did find Candira, she found herself in a dream. In the dream, she found herself standing in that same idyllic field from her first dream-vision, but it was dark and surrounded by death, the fields fallow, dark predators skulking the area for whatever prey they could find, some even taking to digging for insects. It was a scene of famine and deprived of life. The moon was blocked by storm clouds and thunder loomed on the horizon.

A flock of ravens flew through the air and swarmed past her in a rustle of cawing and feathers. Behind her, they took form, adding more mass than was in the flock to form that same giant raven from her first dream-vision. The creature lumbered towards her, set on its massive feet and talons as it craned down its neck towards her. "Speaking through him is tiring for both me and him. It is draining to focus my divinity through a human medium, for both parties. Speak now, child, while I can still talk to you. Speak your desire and perhaps it will align with mine..."

Candira looked around her wondering if this was what Rafe saw each night. She jumped at the rumbling voice behind her, but quickly recovered her wits, staring up at the creature. "I understand. Please...All I wish to do is keep Rafe safe and happy. But I don't understand what it is you want or what you truly are...It's quite clear you are a divine creature...but I don't understand anything about you...If you cannot tell me now, please, tell me where I should look to understand you..." This was the best she could do at the moment. Her intentions had been made clear. Hopefully the Raven would tell her what she needed to know.

Its eyes narrowed down to thin slits. "I was summoned into mortal form. An encapsuled, crystalized, tiny fraction of the being of Sin, whom you know as the Lord of the Night. Someone of great power forced me from a god and bound me to this mortal shell...but take great heed, child." Its head leaned close to her and its next words were perhaps the most ominous and damning. "I am not alone here on this world...there are others the same as me..."

Her heart beat quickly and she frowned afraid of what that could mean. "So you mean to say...the other Black riders are all fragments of a god merged into the souls of human men?" Her eyes widened and she put her hand over her chest. "A person of great power...Fate?" she frowned. This must have been the power Rafe had told her about. "Tell me, is your goal freedom from this man?"

Back
Top Bottom