Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

She nodded, touched by his concern, as well as a bit taken aback at his intensity. Still, he would know. The redhead smiled at him and shook her head. "I'm aware. But you see, if there's something I can do for my people, I must at least try." She reached over and took his hand, squeezing it lightly. "It won't hurt to listen to them. I can always turn them down," she said with a smile. "Try not to worry too much about me."

With that, she let him go and gestured for a barmaid to take their orders. She went for eggs and bacon.

He nodded slowly and ordered the same as her. "Well, I just wanted to warn you." He looked at her and then a question came to mind. "In the last war...what were you doing? I mean...why were you away from your home? I don't mean to dredge up painful memories but...I've been curious all this time. You seem to love your family and land and people so much, what took you away from them?"

She sighed as he asked her a question she hadn't thought about in years. "I had been away trying to increase trade and the reputation of my home when the war started. Since I was a gifted mage--according to the people I served--I thought it was wise to offer my services. It took me far away from what I wanted and the people I loved," she said softly, her gaze somewhat distant. "I regret leaving some days, but without such a journey I wouldn't be nearly as well-connected as I am. I wouldn't have met a lot of the people I consider to be my friends. But if I had stayed...I don't know what difference I could have made if I'd stayed at home. Perhaps the Riders wouldn't have come at all."

She looked sad for a moment, lost in some personal moment of grief--reliving what had happened that day. A cold rage filled her heart for a moment before she locked it away and came back to him. "Sorry. I know it's not something you want to think of either." She smiled softly and shook her head. "Anyway, that's why I was gone. I was trying to better our situation."

He looked at her with remorse in his eyes and a hand came over her's. "Nothing happens without reason. I have regrets about the decisions I've made too, plenty of them. But things happen for a reason. That day...you saved me from myself. You saved my soul...I'm not trying to justify what I've done to you, or say that it should have happened. But, the things you do matter. Just...know that."

She was surprised by this friendly gesture, the warmth of his hand somehow comforting. He was back to looking sad and she wished she hadn't said anything...but it needed to be said. And his words were comforting as well. Of course, she hadn't assigned a great deal of significance to her actions that day--in fact, it was still difficult for her to see how he'd been saved by anything she'd done that day. Still, he told her she had saved him. Who was she to question it?

"Thank you, Rafe. I appreciate it." She smiled softly and tried her best to coax a smile out of him as well.

He did indeed smile in return. The meal was much appreciated by him and after he ate it, he walked out of the inn with her. "Do you have prepared transportation? There are a number of caravans heading to the Capitol, we could go with one of them. There's safety in numbers, you know." That was the tactical mind of Rafe thinking, something he had gained from the Black Riders that he could be proud of. Campaigning in the saddle with an elite light cavalry force left him able to plan ahead effectively and to utilize cavalry tactics. He hoped he didn't have to use them, but if she'd need them, he'd be at her disposal. Especially in this age of uncertainty and violence.

The meal finished, she paid the bills and then checked out of the inn, walking toward the mercantile center as she listened to Rafe. His planning made sense, but it was nothing she hadn't already thought of. She chuckled. "This is not the first time I've traveled to the capitol," she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I know there are safety in numbers. I thought that's why you were coming with," she teased a little. "I've made arrangements to travel with a group of traders headed for the merchant I'll be staying with. As long as we help guard their goods from bandits we're basically riding to the capitol for free. They'll be glad for more protection at a low cost." She smiled and then headed for the group that was loading up their goods as she spoke.

"I told you not to worry so much about me," she said with a shake of her head. "Alright, Rafe. Do you still want to come with me?"

He nodded firmly. "Of course...I wouldn't have come this far if I didn't intend to travel with you." He gave a playful smile to her. Rafe looked much better with a smile.

Once they arrived at the mercantile center, Rafe assisted with loading the goods, seemingly not a stranger to hard work or simple labor. Rafe managed to do it with a smile, being friendly with some of the other laborers. He seemed to easily lose himself in such work, but given how much emotional baggage he carried, perhaps that was a survival mechanism. Once they were on the road, Rafe procured a small ocarina from his pocket, one of his few possessions. It was round, fist-sized, and red with four holes on the top and a mouth hole. He put the flute-like woodwind to his lips and it let out a soft and whimsical sound, light and airy, reminiscent of the spirit of the woods.

Candira helped secure all of the items in the caravan, helping to cover everything a bit better once the carts were loaded up. Once everything was finished, she cast a few protection spells to keep the merchandise from being harmed in any accidents or attacks. That said, they got under way, sitting with him in the back of one of the wagons. As he pulled out the ocarina, she found herself more surprised than anything. He was a good player, and she liked the little tune he played.

"That's really pretty," she said with a smile. "I didn't know you could play." Then again, she didn't really know much about him. Still, she hoped he would play more.

He smiled warmly at her. "Thank you...I learned from my sister. She taught me to play even though I got frustrated with it often." He gave a soft laugh at the thought. "Our family insisted that it's members learn music as part of our education. It helps to broaden the mind. There is music for every state of mind."

He saw her enjoyment and played her a different kind of song. Something soft and close, warm and with gentle emotion. It was, in fact, a song of a love-lorn heart.

"That's right, I remember you told me you had a sister. Do you see her anymore?"

Candira loved a good song, and she found herself glad that she was traveling with someone who could play music. She'd never learned, herself. The most she could do was sing, and she learned from listening. But she loved that his family had encouraged him. Someday, if she had a family of her own, she would insist on the same thing. The notion was a nice one. She closed her eyes as she listened to the song, enjoying the pretty tune.

When he finished, she opened her eyes and smiled. "That was beautiful. It sounded familiar...what was it?"

"Its called Majnun's Lament. It's based on a story from a different land. A young man named Majnun who was in love with a woman above his social class. He pined and longed for her until she knew of his love and she returned it. But she was married off...and when she did, Majnun could not go on. He spent the rest of his days wandering the desert, telling any who would listen of his love, singing, and writing poetry for her."

He listened to his own words before he nodded slowly."I do see her, every now and again, when I can get to Lyre." He let the words sink in so she'd understand. "She is safe...so long as she remains in anonymity, she is safe from our home and my past."

She listened to his story, finding the love song to be beautiful but so sad. "What a sad story. For both of them." Thinking about it, the pretty noble was glad that nobody was able to marry her off anymore. The thought of settling down with someone she didn't love was so sad. Shaking it off, she watched him explain about his sister, the way he shut down a little.

What a good brother he must be... Still, she felt badly that he had to stay away from her so often. It must hurt him. "Well at least she's safe. I'm glad you got to see her while we were there then." She smiled softly and wondered if there was anything she could do to help the two of them--but she doubted he'd accept any help she could give. Maybe someday though...

"Well, I'm sure she's glad you stuck with the ocarina," she said with a smile.

He nodded slowly, smiling in a way that seemed very inward and self-assuring. "Thank you, Lady Candira..." He looked at her, looking into her eyes. "I swear myself to you, Lady Candira. I swear my loyalty and allegiance as a knight in your service. I have no land and no men-at-arms, but what I have is yours to command." His words were soft, but his eyes spoke of a serious oath.

It was so odd to have someone swear himself to her. Honestly, though she was technically a lady of the kingdom, she'd never had anyone do it before. It came as quite as a surprise, in fact, as he did. She certainly hadn't expected him to do anything of the sort. She watched, her eyes a bit wide with uncertainty. "Well...thank you," she said, chuckling. "I'm sorry, I've never really had to accept this before, so I'm not really sure how it works. But since you've sworn yourself to me, you and your sister will always have a home in my lands."

She smiled. "I appreciate your willingness to help me, Rafe. I really do. And I mean it when I say you'll have a home if you want it. There's even some land that's freed up if you should ever desire it. I don't have any other knights at the moment, so you're the first." With that she stretched.

Rafe smiled softly. "Technically, you're supposed to give me a plot of land to call my own and to run as I see fit if I give you military service and a portion of tax. But...I'm not ready to settle down on land yet. Maybe when you return home, I can come with you." Rafe nodded slowly to his own words. "I'm...on a crusade of sorts. A quest for myself. When it is done, I'll be ready to settle down again."

He looked at her and smiled softly. "I've talked more about myself with you than I have in a long, long time. Maybe you should say something of yourself so I'm not just boring you with myself..."

She laughed and nodded. "I understand that much," she said, giving him a little look. "Anyhow, I don't expect you to go there now and set up a farm. It's just so you know. I probably would have offered it to you anyway. As for being a a crusade...well, I hope you get what you want from it." She stared off onto the horizon, watching them put distance between Lyre and themselves. At his mentioning he'd spoken about himself a lot, thought it was probably true.

"Hmmm... All right. Well, I'm not coming up with anything terribly interesting off the bat. What would you like to know about me?" she asked, tilting her head.

He started to open his mouth and then he closed it, smiling and shaking his head. "I don't know what to ask now...maybe my talking about myself is all my own doing." He chuckled a bit and then breathed softly. "I haven't been this relaxed in a long time...it...feels good. Like everything is ok...like I'll be ok." He gave a soft and heavy sigh. "That's what I mean when I said you were my salvation. It feels...like I'm normal again."

Rafe looked back and around at the caravan. "I've never known where merchants come from. I've only ever known nobles, knights, and the commoners sworn to them, but I came from a loosely populated area. No big cities around."

It was a good feeling to know that she could so positively affect someone. For once it felt like she really was making a difference. All those years she'd been working so hard she never saw any progress, and though April always passed on thanks and news, Candira never really saw how her life affected those of the people who lived on her lands. She said as much to Rafe and smiled at him. "I'm glad I can help relax you. I guess I'll really have to be extra careful now, huh?"

Looking around the caravan, she nodded. "I've always dealt with merchants. They are such interesting people. Not all are honest, but they all have the best stories of far off places. I think it's partially their fault I decided to leave and improve relations," she said with a little grin. "I always wanted to travel, but I love my home."

Rafe smiled a little. "I wish I could take to you Rushwood and Deepwood. The forests that were on my land. Rushwood is full of life and loveliness. Deepwood is largely swampland, but it has a beauty all of its own, and it has taught me to respect beauty in all forms and to see things from several perspectives."

Rafe watched the forested area the main highway crossed through, looking up and around their surroundings. "It is beautiful here." He nodded slowly. "I've never been to the Capitol...what's it like? And how long will it take?"

She'd heard of Rushwood and Deepwood before--but not in great detail. The way Rafe described them made her want to learn more. "Maybe some day I will visit those places. You never know," she said thoughtfully. "Of course, I'd be lost without you to show me around..." She shrugged and then returned her attention to her traveling partner. "Well, it will take about two days to get to the capitol, and luckily there are villages between here and there where we'll probably be staying. We'll want to stay on our guards in the town--more chances for the goods to be damaged or stolen."

She thought about the capitol for a moment. "The capitol is a beautiful place. The architecture is fantastic, there are amazing temples, it's a bustling place full of merchants and markets. There's art and music and all sorts of culture everywhere. But like all exciting places, it can also be dangerous, and not always in obvious ways."

Rafe smiled softly. "The big city has an allure all it's own...it's like an environment of its own. Life in a different form." He looked at her and climbed into the wagon they were riding in, nestling up against a pack of cargo, softened by a thick sheet tied over it meant to protect it from the elements. "I'm going to take a nap since its going to be a long trip to the next destination. Wake me if something happens or if you need me." He smiled a bit before yawning and nuzzling up against the cargo, shutting his eyes. "Mmm...smells like maple..."

Candira was finding more and more that she liked it when Rafe smiled. He seemed more alive that way. And he was more handsome. She watched as he climbed up into the gear and started to fall asleep. Chuckling at the image of him curled up against a crate. "Alright. But later, when I want to sleep, it's your turn to watch," she said, keeping her eyes peeled. "Sleep well, Rafe." With that, she let him be, humming a melody of her own softly as they moved along.

Rafe slowly entered the land of sleep and dreams once more, feeling a sense of dread at his dreams which will undoubtedly haunt him...

Lionel slowly knocked on the princess' door and waited for approval before opening it. He had to wait outside, not high enough to enter her chamber as he let her brother, David, inside. Lionel shut the door behind him, standing firm at guard. David stepped inside, smiling warmly. He was dressed in a fine. loose silken shirt and leggings to match. "Sister..." He smiled softly at the sight of her. "Are you almost ready? In a couple of days, we'll have to move you. The fighting is getting too close to the Capitol, the attempt on the Prime Minister's life has...unnerved father."

Lady Candira kept a watchful eye on the road, the caravan, and, of course, her travel companion/knight. She liked the idea of having a knight under her command, but of course that was because she never had. Chuckling to herself, the lovely lady kept her guard up for any potential attacks.

Far away in the capitol, a princess was having something of a fit. She did not want to leave her home, her father and brother, and her people and home town because there had been an attempt on the prime minister. With how many people hated the man in the court alone, she was a bit surprised that no one had tried it before. Of course, it was the perfect scare tactic. And the princess could see tactical holes in having her moved as well--making her a more vulnerable target just the same. Not to mention that she would be easy to keep out of the capitol should anything happen to her father. Nora was not pleased at her predicament, and she knew she was being rather childish about the whole thing.

David, she knew would at least try to be sympathetic with her. Though there were significant risks involved in moving her, Nora knew that David wouldn't think of doing it unless he thought it was best as well. As stubborn as she was, she had to acknowledge her brother's wisdom. Sighing, she rolled her eyes as he mentioned moving her again.

"I still don't see how moving me is going to make any difference. Especially if father's not moving anywhere. And if we're moving, why not move the people as well?" she threw her hands up and sighed. She was being a brat about it--she knew well why none of the other things were happening, but she felt she had to make a big deal of it. No one else seemed to question it. At least she'd get to see Lady Candira again. She'd always looked up to the older woman, though they were considerably close in age.

Back
Top Bottom