Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

our island adventure (wolvenrogue and nightsorceress)

wolvenrogue

Singularity
Supporter
Robert had spent the last three weeks at sea in the rusty old ore freighter. The had left Singapore and were headed south to Australia. they were caught that night in an ideal storm. The old bucket had broken up and Robert had had to jump in the sea. after 5 days clinging to an old trunk he washed ashore on a small south pacific island. He laid there on the sand exhausted, through the night. He woke the next morning and had the feeling he was being watched. He looked up to see a young woman, almost a girl looking down at him.

Aurora had been living on the tiny island for almost 10 years now. She washed a shore with her father when she no more than 7 years old. He had built a house for them to live and did his best to raise her on the tiny island, but he was old and the harsh environment was not kind to him. He died when Aurora was 12. For the past years she had lived by herself becoming a great fisher, and hunter.

But then one day on her way out to the water she saw something odd laying on the beach. she moved cautiously to him not sure if the man was dead or a live. She just looked down at him when he began to wake up. Nervously she backed away.

"Uh..Hello!, Where am I? I just washed ashore last night, we wrecked in the storm" Suddenly he realised, she might not speak english. Seeing her hesitate, he said "Please don't run, I wont hurt you, I promise.

Aurora looked at him she was frighten of him it had been so long since she had seen anyone else. She studied this new stranger before deciding it was safer not to speak to him she moved from the beach and headed into the safety of the trees of the island. She hid in a bush just watching him.

"Please don't run away" He said. He got up and slowly walked up the beach on wobbly legs. He had been in the water three days and was badly dehydrated, He would die if he didn't find water soon. Becoming dizzy he collapsed back to the beach.

Aurora watched as got up she wondered if he was coming after her but the man collapsed again. She bit her lip a moment. She then thought she better help him. She ran back to her home built further down the beach and got some fruits and some fresh water for him. She then made her way back to the man. At first she hid but then thought he really needed help. She darted out from the bushes and but the water and fruits next him before she went back into hiding.

Robert thought he heard some one near him and looked up but only saw the water and food. He drank quickly and then ate the fruit. he looked around, but saw no one. where had the girl gone. He knew she was the key to his survival. He was afraid to go after her. she mide hide and then he would most likely die here in his condition.

She watched as he ate and drank she was afraid of him but she couldn't let him die either. She watched him from the bushes for a time before she moved again. He would need more food and so would she. She returned back to her home and went fishing. with her catch in hand she returned once again to her house to cook it. She made enough for him. and got more water for him. She slowly made her way back to him but stopped knowing full well he was awake. She bit her lip but knew she had to. She brought the food to him setting it down in front of him. she did backed right away so he could not grab her but she didn't move to the trees again. she sat on the beach a good distance just starring at him.

Robert smiled at her and said "Thank you" and ate the food and drank the water. Fish had never tasted so good to him before. He could see she was still very timid, so he made no move at all toward her, but sat watching her and smiling as warmly as he could. He reached inside his shirt and pulled an old St Christopher medal from his neck and held it up to her then stretched out and set it on the sand a few feet away from him. He motion for her to come and get it.

Aurora sat in the sand just watching him eat trying to size him up. She needed to figure out if this man was going to hurt her. Before her father died she had warned her to take care of herself and be careful of strangers. When he took off the necklace at first she was afraid to take but then her curiosity got the better of her and picked it up looking it over. "St. Christopher" she said out loud more to herself then to him, her fingers ran over the image on the medal remembering her father had one.

Robert was pleased to hear her speak English "yes it is a s St christopher medal" Its for you. Thank you for the food. Is there any one else on this island a town or villiage?" Her clothes looked primitive and hand sewn. It appeared she wore only a crudely made sun dress.

Aurora looked up from the medal to him. She still kept her distance from him not sure still if would hurt her. "No one else is here, my father and I washed a shore here much like you did...but he is dead now." She paused a moment afraid that he might think her unable to defend herself and he would attack, "But he made damn sure i knew how to defend myself." Her hand touch a knife tied to her hip.

" Why would I want to hurt you? So I could be alone here? My name is Robert, what is yours my dear?" He realized that after 20 years at sea, he had a grizzled appearance, even if he was only 38, still he thought himself twice her young age. "I might be of help to you. I do have this trunk. No telling what is in it. May I use your knife? Perhaps we can open it."

"My father said that men are always not kind to women, some men would try to hurt me if they were to find me. That might be your plan." she said as she back away from him a little bit more. not giving up her knife to him.

'Your father is wise, and spoke the truth, but that is not my intention. But its ok, keep the knife, I'll try a rock instead." he got up and walked down the beach and came back and pounded the latch till it broke open. Inside he found several blankets, some cook wear, and and some clothing for a young woman, dresses. He took them out and laid them on the sand for her. "those won't suit me," he said. Under every thing he found a set of kitchen knives. He left them in the trunk not wanting to scare her. He could only guess that his life boat had been a woman's hope chest

Aurora was a little shocked that he did not demand the knife from her instead he found a rock to open the trunk. She stood up and watched as he open the trunk pulling out different items some would come in very handy around here. she looked at the dresses forgetting to pay attention to him. She had never seen dresses so beautiful, they were a lot nicer than anything she could fashion for herself.

"Take them" he said, you should have them, they will do me no good." He pushed the dresses closer to her. "we are certainly safer together than apart" he said. " for instance, these blankets. I could use them for shelter, but if you have shelter already, they are much better put to use on a bed. And one other thing I have, I will warn you not to be afraid, but there is a full set of kitchen knives, very useful for cooking, but also for hunting if need be. But you already have hunting tools as I can see. why not use them in the kitchen." He took them out and laid them on the sand.

Aurora head snapped up when he spoke again. She listen to his words and they made sense to her. The blankets she did have were older and a set of new knives and pots and pans would be better than the one she had. She bit her lip a moment. "alright, but if you try anything I will gut you like a sigh" with that she scooped up the dresses and directed him to follow her.

She lead him to the house her and father built, it was made out of pieces of ship, and thatches, it looked like a strong dwelling and a very large size. It was raised off the ground to help keep the floor dry in case of flooding.

" This is very nice" he said, as he set down the chest. The house was basically one room, but it certainly provided good shelter. there were two beds, and a kitchen of sorts, and a large table that looked to have been made of an old packing crate. Rober put a new blanket on each bed. "may I use one," he asked?

Aurora moved to the bed on the the other side of the room. Obviously the one she had been using. She nodded her head towards the other, "yes you can use that one." She said softly moving some of her things to her side of the house. not knowing if he would take them. She had been away from people for so long it was hard for her to trust anyone.

Robert marveled both at her timidity and her resourcefulness. She was practical and strong one minute and a timid little mouse the next. He couldn't help but like her, after all she was as cute as a button, and seemed to have a playful streak, yet in a pinch it was clear she would defend herself. He sat on the bed and tested it. It wasn't bad for something made of sticks and field grass. He put the kitchen knives and pots in the kitchen, and set the trunk against the wall.

Aurora took a seat on the bed across the room she just starred at him for the longest time. before she finally realized he was always going to be there, she had to make friends with this man. "What were you doing a board a ship?" She finally asked trying to break the silence between them.

"I'm a first mate miss, you didn't tell me your name. I'm Robert in case you forgot." he went on to tell her that he worked aboard an ore freighter in the south pacific and they made 8 runs a year.

"My name is Aurora" she said softly. She just listen as he talked of his life a bit, her father was a captain of trader ship so she knew what he spoke of. She was a beautiful creature sitting across from him, slender and toned from having to all the work herself, her hair was long and her skin tan from years spent in the sun.

"Its a lovely name and your beauty is worthy of it" he said in language she did not expect from a sea hardened sailor. He had been formally educated but went to sea when a family tragedy made him seek escape from the realities of his world. He was grateful for the presence of this wonderful young woman, without which his existence would have been poor indeed.

Back
Top Bottom