Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Revolutionary Romance (Wolvenrogue and myself)

Robert put on the shirt, and waited for Cornelia to return. He looked around the big kitchen, it was open airy with a huge wooden table in the middle. He sat down and when Cornelia returned, he said, "I'd eat nearly anything, I'm so hungry. How have you been? Your even more beautiful now than when I last saw you. Sorry , 'm so dirty but two weeks on the road will do that to a man. He watched as she began cooking and dreamed what it would be like to have her for his own.

After Cornelia hid the uniform she walked out to the kitchen and laughed lightly. "Yes, I suppose it would. Would you like to wash up while I make you some food Robert?" she asked and smiled at him. She shrugged and smiled. "I've been fine. My parents want me to marry soon. They think if I wait any longer the only thing I'd be able to do in my life is become a school marm." she said and laughed. "Men prefer the younger girls." she said and laughed. "But I've held out because I hoped you'd return. I'm so glad you have." she said and laughed. She blushed at the compliment and smiled. "Thank you Robert. And you are even more handsome than I remember." She smiled at him warmly.

Robert's heart lept when she said she was waiting for him. He had dreamed of her since the day he was forced to leave her two years ago. "Yes I'd love to clean up especially if I'm to meet your family. I'm afraid I stink at the moment. My dear I am thrilled that you waited for me. Do your parents know I even exist? " He didn't have to ask what they would think of him being a redcoat. But he thought that possibly she might have said she had a Beau involved in the war and have said no more.

She smiled and shook her head and laughed. "Then follow me." she said and led him towards a small room the had a wooden tub filled with water. She smiled and handed him some soap. "And they don't know about you. I wasn't sure how to explain to them that I befriended a Redcoat." she said and laughed lightly. She brushed her bangs out of her face and smiled. "Especially since my father and brother were in the war." She shook her head. "My mother knew I had feelings for someone, but I never told her who." she sighed. "But I have to get back to the food, I don't want dinner to burn." she kissed his cheek gently and went back to the kitchen, busying herself with the cooking. She sighed and smiled a bit. He's a fine man... but given his past it would be impossible for my father to accept him... she thought. She looked out of one of the windows. Unless we can figure out a way to keep the truth a secret. She waited for Robert to finish bathing, food almost ready. She put some plates on the table and then started to put food on them, a large portion of it for Robert. He needed to eat. After the food was on the table she walked back to her room and pulled the pins from her hair, the curl falling in waves over her shoulders. She changed into a forest green dress with a white lace up front for dinner and looked outside, seeing her father's wagon coming up the road. She sighed and hoped her father wouldn't realize Robert had fought against the patriots in the war.

Robert stepped into the small closet and stripped off his clothes. he stepped into the tub and scrubbed his body. The shirt she had given him was clean, but his pants were filthy. He stuck his head out and called to Cornelia. "Are their some pants I can borrow?" he asked, "mine are filthy." As she came to the door, there was little way he could consceal himself from her in so small a space, though he did the best that he could. Robert left the bath just as her father walked in the front door.

They met accidentally in the hallway. "and who might you be sir?" her father asked wondering why a strange man would be in his home. "I'm Robert, I'm a friend of Cornelia's" "Cornelia! he called out calmly but sternly "don't you think you should introduce you mother and I to your friend." her mother whispered in her father's ear, "Don't be harsh with him George, he is handsome.

Cornelia heard Robert call for some pants and found some clean pants that belonged to her older brother, glad they were pretty much the same size. She brought the pants to him and averted her eyes, not wanting to look at him inappropriately. She smiled and turned to greet her parents. She wiped her hands on her dress and bit her lip as Robert and her father met.

"Papa, this is Robert. He was fighting in the war up north... that's why I haven't introduced you to him." she said and bowed her head. She wasn't exactly lying, she was just omitting a pretty important point. She blushed a bit at her mother's words and nodded. "He is mama, and he's so kind." she said. She brushed her curls off of her shoulder and smiled. "He just got back to town today, he was travelling for a while so I offered him a bath and some clothes until he can get some more." she said. She knew her mother would believe her, but her father would probably be a bit harder to convince.

"Who did you fight under?" her father asked Robert. "He fought under Sir Gate's command." she said quickly. "Ahh Horatio Gates... Good man he is." George said. "Did you enjoy it boy?" he asked Robert. Cornelia glanced at Robert as if telling him to play along. He knew the war, hell he was in it, but she hoped he didn't seem to out of touch for her father.

"Well sir, In fact I was wounded twice and survived both, so I was luckier than most. I owe my life to your daughter, it was her fine first aid that saved my leg and maybe my life for all I know. She is a remarkable young woman and you should be very proud. She had compassion where others wouldn't. She is the best of what this country is all about. At least I think so.

Evidently, she is a mighty fine cook as well based on the smells coming from the kitchen. Ive been five days on the road without a meal, do you suppose we could finish this conversation over the meal she prepared?

George looked at Robert curiously when he said she showed compassion where others wouldn't but decided to let it go. The northerners were a bit colder than the southerners were when it came to people. "Yes, she is a wonderful girl. Getting a little old, hopefully she finds a husband soon." he said looking at Robert expectantly. Cornelia blushed. "Papa, stop that!" she said and laughed nervously. Her mother nodded and led the way to the table. "Yes, let us eat." she said. "I shall get us some beer for dinner." she said. She disappeared and soon returned with mugs of beer for everyone. "Thank you mama." she said. She waited for her parents to sit down before she did, showing respect. She smiled and waited for Robert to sit before saying grace.

Robert shared stories of the war with her father being careful not to specify which side he had experienced it from. He ate heartily and was respected by her parents not only for being a veteran, but for enduring wounds in the process. As dinner was finished, and Cornelia cleaned up, Robert spoke to her father. Sir he said calmly, your daughter and I have been in love for two and a half years. The war has kept us apart physically until today, but with your permission, I'd like to ask her to marry me. That is sir, if you don't object.

Her father looked up stunned but happy. "Well son, that is good news. You have my permission." "you'll excuse me then sir, Cornelia and I have some things to discuss." Robert walked out in the kitchen. He took Cornelia by the hand and looked her in the eye, then knealt before her. Cornelia? will you be my wife? Will you marry me?

Cornelia was out of earshot when he asked her father for her hand. She was busy washing the dishes, a smile on her face. She finished cleaning up from dinner and smiled as Robert walked into the kitchen with her. She smiled and looked over at him. "Robert, what are you doing?" she asked and smiled. She looked at him stunned as he moved to one knee. Her mouth fell open at his words and she couldn't believe it.

"Robert, are you... of course!" she said, tears stinging the back of her eyes. "I would be honored to be your wife." she kissed him softly and wrapped her arms around him. She was ecstatic, and glad that she waited for him. "I'd love to be your wife." she said again, happy tears rolling down her cheeks.

They were kissing and happy in the kitchen when her mother walked in carrying Robert's dirty coat. She coughed, to interrupt them. " Were going to be married Ma'am," Robert said smiling, not taking his eyes from Cornelia's. Her mother was stunned, but happy. She just stood there a moment taking in what she had just heard. Then she remembered why she had come there in the first place.

"Cornelia, I found this dirty thing in your hope chest. Why is it there?" she held out the coat.

Cornelia brushed her hair out of her face and wiped her hands on her skirt when she saw the coat in her mother's hands. Oh god, no! Please no... she thought. She thanked the lord she was quick on her toes. "One of the soldiers I helped heal during the war gave it to me, you know, to thank me I suppose." she said and bit her lip. "I know I should have thrown it out, that it wasn't welcome in our home but he was such a kind older man, I didn't see the harm in accepting it." she lied. She knew it was believable, and it would give her and Robert some time to figure out their story from now on. "Mama, please don't be mad, I was just doing what I volunteered to do and that was how he repaid me for my kindness. If we must we can burn the damn thing." she said, nodding slowly.

Robert was in a state of shock, but managed to keep his head and let his bride to be do the lying. When her mother left the room he broke out in a fit of laughter. "you are some liar!" he whispered. "Holy mackeral!" I suppose we better tell your parents officially. He wrapped his arm around her and walked into the Parlor only to find her mother happily spilling the beans. Robert laughed and said "well now that everyone already knows, were here to make it official Cornelia and I are engaged to be married. The exchanged hugs and kisses and then Robert asked If he might borrow the buggy. Cornelia's father said certainly son, and welcome to the family.

Robert took Cornelia by the hand and lead her to the buggy, and helped her in, then climbing in himself headed into Richmond.

She smiled and shrugged. "I have an older brother, he's pretty good at teaching me things I'd otherwise never learn." she said and smiled. She took his hand and nodded walking into the parlor with her fiancé. She kissed him softly after they announced it to her family and she headed out towards the yard when her father granted them permission to use the carriage. She smiled as he helped her in. "Thank you love." she said and sat down, smoothing her skirt. She looked out of the carriage window and smiled happily. She was glad she waited. She had had a feeling he'd come back for her. Once he got in she took his hand and kissed him softly. "I love you Robert." she said. She sighed happily as the carriage moved onward to Richmond.

Robert was happy to have female company, especially the company of his fiancé as they travelled the road back toward Richmond and points north. As they travelled, Robert started to think about their situation. Up until now he hadn’t thought beyond just finding Cornelia. But now as they approached the city Harsh reality set in. He was a former redcoat, he had no job, no money, and no place to live. All he had was his life, freedom, and a fiancé. This was enough to make him happy for the moment, but it would not house or feed him and his future family. He had grown quiet with worry. As he entered town, he looked for signs requesting help. He found none. I am afraid you may have agreed to marry a pauper, and a redcoat at that, he said glumly. He looked down in his lap feeling dejected and suddenly worthless.

Cornelia held his hand tightly as they made they're way towards town. She looked at him and smiled at his words. "I also agreed to marry the one person who made this war bearable." she said and kissed him softly. "Don't worry, we'll find you something." she knew he was worried, and he had reason to be, but she knew it wouldn't help him find a job to be glum. The carriage came to a stop in the town square and she turned to him. "Robert I will help you find work, and I will stay by your side even through this time. I waited for you for so long, I couldn't abandon hope now." She got out of the carriage and walked towards his side of the carriage. Once he got out she looked around at some of the stores. She smiled and turned back to him. "What skills do you know?" she asked. "You worked on a farm, right? Maybe we could get you a job at the local blacksmith's." she said. She tried to make him stay positive, because it wouldn't help if he lost hope.

"Mostly I moved and worked stone. In Whales stone is everywhere. I build houses, barns and fences of it, turning a curse into an asset. Do they have Mason's here? You certainly don't have stone like we did. Other than that I can tend sheep and goats. That is what I did on the farm" he said. He looked at her not really wanting to express the full hopelessness he felt.

She smiled and nodded. "Yes, come with me." she said and took his head leading him towards a building near the far end of town. She entered the building and smiled at him. There was no way she was going to let him get down on himself. She walked towards the back of the building and smiled at the older gentleman working there. "Sir, may I please ask you something?" she asked the man. He nodded and smiled. "Of course Cornelia, what can I help you with." She started to tell the man about her new fiancé's story, about he was up north fighting the war and how he lost everything to the British. The man looked at the younger man standing in his store and tutted softly. He moved to the front of the store and began to talk to Robert. "My poor boy, how experienced with masonry are you? I can understand the devastation you must feel about losing everything to those scoundrels." he said. Cornelia squeezed his hand.

Well sir, I can build a house complete with only field stone, or a wall or even a barn if you have enough. I learned my craft in whales, they have too much of the stuff there. I have a strong back too, despite my war wounds. Got shot twice in the left leg but neither broke the bone. I'll do most any honest work sir. You see I'm to be married soon, to this fair woman. I'd like to be able to keep her properly.

The man listened to his words and ran a hand through his beard. "Hmm... It seems like you've got some experience then." he chuckled a bit and nodded when he mentioned their engagement. "A new wife, eh? I suppose I can let you on for a trial period. If you are unable to work up to my standards I'll have to let you go." he said. "I have a reputation in this town as the best mason around and I won't let that title be tarnished. Do you understand son?" he asked. He probably wouldn't have offered him the job, but he knew the war had destroyed the livelihood of many of the younger soldiers who fought for the colonies. And with a new wife most definitely meant children would be coming soon. He looked at Robert and smiled. "So, would you like to give it a go?" he asked. Cornelia smiled and was extremely grateful to him. She hoped Robert would be able to work hard enough for him.

"Absolutely Sir and thank you. You won't be sorry, I promise you that." He shook his hand and kissed Cornelia. "just one thing sir when do I start? "First thing in the morning, 7 bells, don't be late!"

They rode the six miles back to the farm, Robert was jubilant, they had no where to stay yet but he had a job. It had been a good afternoon. "do you suppose your father will let me sleep in the barn, and borrow a horse to get to work?" He asked. At least till i get paid?"

Cornelia walked out of the shop with him and got back into the carriage, smiling at him as he got in. "I told you not to lose hope." she said and smiled. "I've grown up around here my entire life, almost everyone is willing to help when something unexpected happens." she kissed him softly and smiled. "And I'm sure papa will let you stay in the house. You are not an animal, nor will you be treated as one." she said. She knew her room was out of the question, but her brother had been killed in the war so his room was open for use. She smiled as they rode on, looking out of the window. "As for getting to work, you could probably ride with papa when he goes to work." she said and smiled.

When they got back, Robert put away the carriage and brushed and fed the horse. then came in the house where he found Cornelia talking to her father. "Good evening sir. Thank you for the use of the horse and buggy. Thanks to Cornelia, I found a job with the Mason. Cornelia says you work in town, May I hitch a ride to work with you?" Her father, turned to him and said. "Certainly, young man, I'm glad to see your a hard worker. Cornelia says you have no where to stay. You may use my son's room, Lord knows he doesn't need it now." His voice cracking a little bit. "If you two will excuse me, I need to find mother."
He left them in the kitchen and went to the parlor. Robert could tell from the smells that Cornelia had started on dinner. "You need some help?" Robert asked.

Cornelia heard the pain in her father's voice and frowned a bit. She missed her brother, but she knew there was nothing anyone could have done to save him. She walked into the kitchen to make dinner and began to season the meat, using a little salt and pepper. She turned to face Robert when he came in and shook her head, smiling. "Love, this is a woman's job. I'm more than capable of making dinner for you and my parents." she said and smiled. She wiped her hands on the apron and turned to face him, "But, if you are going to insist on helping you can cut the vegetables." she said and turned back to the meat. She began to cook it, humming to herself as she worked.

He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist and nuzzled her neck. "I can take a hint" he said laughing, "I've just been cooking for my self for so long, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have a woman to cook for me. The kitchen suits you, you're an excellent cook. What's you mom going to do when you leave?"

He loved the feel of her soft body in his arms. As he held her he let himself imagine what it would be like when she carried his child. He smiled at the thought. He hadn't considered being a father until this moment, and he had to admit the idea appealed to him very much.

Back
Top Bottom