Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In the King's service (wolvenrogue and nightsorceress)

Robert held Lilly up over him on his feet as he laid on his back, making her squeal with happiness. He let her down on his chest, and tickled here untill she was all giggles.

Aurora smiled as her mother came over. "thank you for watching the children mother"

Lily hugged her daughter, "Any time dear, it was nice to have them around"

Robert stood up and and kissed her mother on her cheek. "thank you Mom, he said as he picked up little Liam in his arms and put him on his shoulders.

Lily smiled, "So how was your time away"

"it was nice just to have some time to reconnect and just be us, but it was not long before we missing the children."

Robert collected the boys and left Lilith to Aurora. They said goodbye to Grama and Grampa and took them home for their lunch and a nap.

Aurora picked up Lilith and headed home with her family. Once inside she left the children in the living room to play and she went to straight to the kitchen to cook the kids lunch.

Robert sat on the floor in the living room, surrounded by the squeeling children. He was being mobbed by three toddlers and couldn't stop laughing.

Aurora quickly made lunch and brought the children's plates into the living room. she smiled as the children attacked their father. she watched as they jumped and played. "Lunch time"

They all gathered around the coffee table and ate sitting on the floor. It was fun being down at the childrens level, and they loved it too. The table was just right for the children, and they felt right at home. It gave Robert an idea for a project.

"I can always eat , you know that," he said laughing. "Why don't we wait until the babies are down for their naps though. Then we can talk about my idea, its kinda busy right now." Robert could barely quit laughing at the children's antics as they ate.

Aurora smiled a little "alright well i will go get our plates ready for after they are down for the their nap" she disappeared into the kitched and started making their lunch

As the children got full they started to get a little cranky and laid down on the floor, their heads in his lap.

Aurora returned to the living room to check on the children only to find they were already resting. "We should get them to their room before they fall a sleep totally" she then went and picked up Liam and began to carry him upstairs.

Robert waited while she took each one to bed, one at a time, He was afraid to move lest he would wake them. When she finally took Lilith, he got up and and went to the kitchen to eat dinner with her.

Aurora carefully took each one to bed, tucking them in happy to see them after a few days of being away. She then headed back down stairs once they were all tucked in. she went to living room and robert was not there she went to the kitchen smiling when she say him. "They are all a sleep"

Robert got up from his chair and took her in his arms and hugged her. Then kissed her gently. This was what he had left his kingdom for. A family, and a happy home. Still his mind ached for adventure. He couldn't help wondering what lay at the edge of the great woods.

Aurora smiled as he hugged her, it was nice to be in his arms. She kissed him back and looked at him. "My love do you regret having children as early as we did, I mean you seemed so happy and free when were in the woods without them" she bit her lip a little, she did not know what made her ask that question but she had to know.

"No, not at all, its what I wanted, I still like adventure though, and I hope we can have a good balance. Our children need us to love each other, even more than they need us to love them. Its what gives them security. Imagine how you would feel if your parents weren't happy together, that is what messed me up so badly."

Aurora nodded in agreement it was nice just to spend time with each other. "Your right, I always dreamed about having the love my parents had for each other. but what do you mean you were messed up?" She knew very little of his life before her, he never talked about it and she never wanted to press the issue.

Well you remember all the troubles we've had with my not understanding you and treating you badly. Well I don't have the good childhood memories you have, and my parents are dead and gone, and though I've never told you, the truth is I'm glad. My dad abused my mom and cavorted with the chambermaids. My mom talked badly of him even in court. Being Kingand Queen, no one could challenge them, but they had no problem taunting me about it.

Aurora wrinkled her forehead as he talked but her eyes became soft and she was sad for him. She now had a better of standing of him, "I am sorry you had to endure that as a child, I don't understand why parents would do such a thing. they may have hated each other, but what did you ever do, could they at least not pretend to tolerate each other for your sake?

"Its a funny thing, I could tell when they were angry, even when they hid it, I knew. Eventually they just gave up the pretense. They had me raised by a nanny. You remember when I arranged for the nursery , with all the help? that was how I grew up. Actually that was the best part, at least my nanny actually cared. I never want that for my children. They will have both of us and their grand parents, and I never want to be in such a situation that they have to worry about Mom and Dad being together, even if it means taking some time away from them. That's what grand parents are for. Mom and Dad do a wonderful job.

Aurora was sadden by the facts of his childhood, she wished he did have to deal with that and could have known the love that her parents had. "We will do right by our children don't you were. I know we both love them way to much, and well their grandparents love them even more"

He smiled at Aurora. He was happy here with her, and except when circumstances reminded him of his past, he lived in the security of the present and the life that he was able to enjoy with his wife and children, and her parents, whom he had adopted as his own. What now survived of his past was an adventurous spirit. He wanted to explore the edges of the kingdom. It was a desire that was clearly not shared by many if any of the men in the kingdom, who were content to live out their lives in the safety of the villiage. While he knew there would be challenges and dangers beyond its borders, he couldnt help but think there was good as well. Good that he could share with the entire kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom