Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Evenings at the Library (for Wolvenrogue and PickleChiffonPie)

Liz was mortified. Bob stood before her ashen and white, blood pouring from a wound, muttering before falling to the floor. She was momentarily stunned as she watched blood pool on the tile floor. He would be heartbroken, she thought as she dialled 911. She knew he’d not want to go back to the hospital, but she had no choice, this was beyond her to solve.

“Yes, I need and ambulance at 435 Rochester and Greens Street. Adult male, it looks as though he slit his wrists. He is unconscious right now but losing a lot of blood. Please hurry.” Liz hung up the phone and knelt beside Bob. She applied pressure on to his wound. Liz took a deep breath when she finally heard the sirens screaming closer to them. She didn’t know if he would make it, his pulse was weak and nearly non existent.

“Don’t you dare be a coward and go this way, I swear I won’t let you.” She muttered just moments before the door caved in and the medical team arrived.

Bob saw Liz just as things had started to grow dark and he fell to the floor. The next thing he knew he was waking up in a white room. He tried to move but he was strapped down. He panicked. "Why did they always have to imobilize him!" "Liz!...Maxine! .....Liz! .....Maxine!" he yelled, hoping against hope that one of them was there. He knew he was in trouble when he looked up at the white board on the wall and saw the words "Suicide Watch" written in large red letters. It started to sink in, that as wrong as it seemed to him, they were probably justified in restraining him. He tried to calm down, and stop yelling. A nurse came in responding to his yelling. "Can you please find Liz or Maxine for me? Liz brought me in, and Maxine works here, they both live with me." The young nurse was shocked at his statement and request but said that she would try.

Liz heard the commotion arising from Bob’s room. She saw the young nurse fly from the room and she made her way to him.

“I’m here,” she said softly as she tried to sooth Bob’s thrashing. She’d asked them to no put him into restraints, but given the circumstances surrounding his admittance protocol demanded such actions were taken.

“I’m here Bob,” she said softly again. “You need to be calm, they have you bound because you tired to kill yourself,” she looked down at him, her eyes filled with concern and love. Liz sighed.

She never understood such a compulsion and to have someone she loved so much do that to themselves, it made her doubt everything she thought she had known about him. Gently she smoothed her cool fingers over his brow.

“do you want to tell me about it?” She asked softly, hoping to gain some insight on what caused him to do something so destructive.

"I really thought you had left me and werent comming back. I can't blame you for wanting a new job, but you kept telling me I should be with Maxinne. I was sure you didn't want me anymore. I just couldn't live with that. That and the baby isn't mine, it was all just so bad. The last straw was going to bed alone. It pushed me over the edge. I don't know what else to say. I'll probably lose you both now any way, and get committed"

He looked down at the floor.

Liz sighed exasperated.

“You seemed to have wanted her more. You’ve not looked at me the same since the rape, I want you to be happy, and I saw her as making you that way, where as I was just causing you pain.” Liz chewed on her lower lip. “The job is something I felt I needed to try for. If they say yes, then we will have some thinking to do.”

Liz left out they had already made the offer and she had already accepted it. This was not the place for the conversation that was going to require. She took Bob’s hand in hers and pressed it to her chest, directly over her heart.

“I want you to be happy, more than anything, that’s why I got you back in school, why I’ve pushed you and Maxine together, your happiness means the world to me. I just wish you saw mine in the same way.” The last sentence trailed off into silence as she looked at him. She did love him, but the fact he would hurt himself so much because of her, gave her pause. Any other man and she’d run as far away as she could because of this, but with him, it just made her sad.

“I don’t know that I can love you the way you want to be loved Bob, I really don’t, but I know she does and will.” Liz paused again sensing a change in the room. She lifted her eyes to the door and saw Maxine standing in the doorway, having been found by the young nurse.

Liz sighed, and moved to make room for the other woman at his side.

Bob was torn. He didn't know where to turn. "I'm sorry I did this" he said not addressing the statement to either one in particular. "I love you both, I can't live without either one of you. It's so wrong, but I can't help it." He felt lost at that moment. He was sure he'd lost one or the other, maybe both. "That why I did this, I thought I'd lost you Liz, he said, but it would have been the same if I'd lost you Maxine. You two will have to decide if you can make it work. If not I don't know what I'll do. I don't know how this happened, but it has. I have fallen in love with you both." He lay there, tears streaming down his face, deathly afraid of what would happen next.

Liz looked at Maxine, unsure what to say. She took a deep breath.

“They offered me the job.”

She said it without judgment or inflection, just a statement of fact. She let the news sit there for a moment. She looked at her love on the bed.

“I know you are upset, and think that this can’t work, but I think it can. Maxine can be here with you full time, I’m not leaving, I just won’t be here every moment of every day. This is a great opportunity for me to grow, and leave behind the drama that seems to have followed me here. I’m not leaving you though, I love you, and I know you love us both, we just need to find away that we all get what we need."

Liz looked at Maxine and nodded slightly. This was for her too, Liz knew the other woman was not confident in her place in this mess of a relationship they had. She took Maxine’s hand in her and laid them both overtop of Bob’s. She hopped he understood that she needed this, to be okay to grow and learn, but still be safe in his love, as he was in hers.

Bob felt a glimmer of hope. He kissed Liz a tearful goodby knowing she had to return to her new city and set up an apartment. He now had to hope that they would release him from the hospital. He asked Maxine to see if they would release him to her care, seeing she was a nurse. to everyones surprise the hospital agreed. He didn't want to see Liz go, but he didn' t see any other choice. He decided to wait and see ifhe could convince the dean to transfer his scholarship, as had been his original plan. But first he had to heal. With his wrist stiched up Maxinne was allowed to take him home. He was grreatful to be out of the hospital. Maxine put him in bed and then undressing, she climbed in with him to be sure he stayed there, and did nothing drastic.

Maxine wove her small body about Bob’s. She would ensure he’d not wake up alone tonight, the fear she had felt seeing him in the hospital earlier was still pungent in her memory. If he had died who would take care of her, and the babies? She nestled into his much larger frame, vowing to keep him safe from the demons that seemed to plague him.
~~~
Liz made her way back to her condo. She packed up what little was hers, most of the furniture had come with the place. Once that was completed, she lay down and fell asleep. Her body and mind were exhausted from the day, and spending the evening in the emergency. Her dreams were fraught with conflicting images of Bob, happy and vibrant, with him dull morose and nearly grey with death. When she woke at 6am, she sighed, almost relieved to be awake.

She got up and contacted a realtor through a web site. The sooner this place was listed and sold the sooner she could focus on settling into the new place. At least the flat on the campus was furnished as well, the only thing she’d need was a new bed. And since she’d not have to worry about a mortgage or rent, a new bed was definitely doable.

Bob woke several times that night, but each time found Maxine clinging tightly to his body. She would rub his chest and kiss him back to sleep. The last time very near morning he found her laying on his chest fully impaled on his cock, and gently rocking her hips. As he woke she smiled and kissed him passionately.

She slowly, lovingly brought him to release despite her belly now being swollen with the twins she was carrying. When Bob woke, the last time she took him to the tub and bathed him lovingly seeing to it his bandages stayed dry. Once he was dressed she went to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Bob picked up his cell phone and dialed Liz's number.

After setting up her listing, Liz had gotten dressed and completed packing. She had filled her little car full and locked her door placing the key in the hide-a –rock on the stoop, as she said she would in her email to the realtor. She gathered her last little incidentals and got into the car. She’d been on the road for two hours, when her cell phone rang.

She pulled over on the side of the highway to dig for it and answered on the last possible ring.

“Hello,” she said answering it without looking at the caller id, just hoping she’d gotten to it in time enough to receive the call.

"Good morning Liz," Bob said. "I miss you, you know. I know you have to do what your doing, but I wish you were hear. A third of my heart is missing with you. I can survive, but I'll never be whole. I still remember the first time we made love. I want you so badly. When can you come back to visit?
They talked for ten minutes, and he didn't want to hang up, but he knew he had to. He kissed the phone wishing she could feel it, a tear racing down his cheek, and said goodbye.

Maxine came in saw him sitting , looking sad, and hugged him. "Liz will be alright," she said, and kissed him then lead him to the kitchen where she had prepared breakfast. Bob ate slowly at first but as Maxine sat and made conversation in her happy little voice, his spirits slowly rose. still naked she climbed into his lap after breakfast, and did her best to make him forget his troubles. Bob was soon feeling much better.

Liz hung up the phone looking at it with dismay. She’d not even been gone the day, really? As she put her car in motion and shoulder checked she pulled back on to the highway.

She heard the impact before she felt it. The sickening crunch of glass and metal compressing into nothing. Then everything exploded. Sound lights, pain, everything. They say before you die you see your life flash before you, and if she lived to tell the story she would agree. Everything flashed before her eyes as her compact car was pushed along the road, t-boned onto the front of a Semi. As the car skidded to a halt everything went mercifully black, and Liz was conscious no more.

The truck driver was stunned. It was if the car hadn’t seen him as it pulled out off the shoulder directly in front of him. He’d put on his brakes but that only did so much good when you weighed 60,000lbs, and were going 90. Okay. Maybe he’d been going a bit fast, but not that fast, that the car couldn’t have realized he was there. By the time he stopped, he’s pushed the car a good 100 feet from the point of impact.

He radioed for emergency services before he got out to see if the driver was still alive.

Bob's cell phone rang about 9 am two days later. "Mr. Lake? Is Miss Elizabeth Evans there please? This is Bosworth College Library, and she left your number as an emergency contact. "No" Bob answered" I assumed she was there working." Well Mr. Lake, I'm sorry to say she never reported to work, and we have had to hire another candidate. I was just giving her a courtesy call. Good day Mr. Lake. "Click" . Bob was in a total panic. He didn't have much time to absorb it however, as his phone rang again barely seconds later. " Hello is this 876-908-8989? "yes" he answered. " this is Detective Howard with the state police traffic division. We found your number on a cell phone, in a car involved in a serious traffic accident. We have an unidentified woman in the hospital, and we need to have you come and help us identify her. She is in a coma. A state police car will be there to pick you up this afternoon at 2 pm."Yes sir" was all Bob could say stunned as he hung up.
Maxine! he shouted despirately Liz is hurt. The State Police are coming to get me at 1:00. Will you go with me?

Maxine nodded as Bob asked her to go with him.

“What happened? I thought she was going to the new school to set up her apartment?”

She looked concerned, her love was distressed and it bothered her to see him in such obvious pain. She gathered up a small overnight bag just in case they needed it and then joined Bob down on the main floor. He seemed to be in shock.

“Shall I drive us?” she asked softly , hoping to ease his mind. He seemed to disjointed.

Bob's hands were shaking, "No, he said, the police will be picking us up." A few minutes later there was a knock at the door. Bob answered the door and it was the state police. "Come-on Maxine, Its time to go" Bob said, and they followed the officer to his patrol car. They got in and settled back for the two hour trip. Maxine fell asleep against Bob's side. "Who is the girl?" the officer asked. "My nurse," Bob answered truthfully, not wanting them to refuse to bring Maxine. "what happened to your wrists?" he asked. "Self inflicted" was all Bob said. The officer didn't ask any more questions.

They arrived at the hospital two hours later and were shown to Liz's room. They asked Bob "can you identify this woman?" "Yes," he said, "its my girlfriend Liz Evans". Bob was frightened at the sight of her battered body. "Will she be alright Maxine," he asked, tears rolling down his face.

Maxine looked into the room from the glass window. Liz looked battered and beaten. You could tell it was her, under the swollen skin of her face, but with the number of monitors hooked up to her and the blanket covering the majority of her body, it was hard to tell. She obviously had several broken bones, as the casts on her arms would indicate. She took a deep breath and looked at Bob.

“I don’t know Bob. She’s been hurt fairly badly it looks like. The doctors would have a better idea as they have examined her.” She looked at the attending physician, offering him a way in to speak to him about her condition.

“She was admitted the night of the crash with what I would call normally fatal injuries. We did lose her, but resuscitated her into a stable ECG reading. But due to the extent of the physical damage, we had to induce the medical coma she is in currently. I plan to keep her like that for a week to let some of the more serious internal injuries heal. Once things look stable on that end, we will wake her. But,” the physician paused.

Maxine took Bob’s hand and held it tight, squeezing it a bit. She knew what was coming. Medical comas always had ramifications. The Doctor continued.

“But, there is a likely hood given the swelling on her brain, and due to the induced coma, that if she wakes up, she could have amnesia.”

Bob put on a brave face, but inside his heart was breaking, after all this she might not remember him, might not remember anything, to say nothing of her physical condition. He resolved to be strong for her, but he only hoped that when the day came, she would realize who he was.

"Maxine, he said, we can't do much here today. I think we better go home and come back when they are ready to wake her up. It will give us time to make some arrangements," he said. Bob went and found the officer who had driven them. I think we would like to go home. The officer pulled Maxine aside and said, "keep an eye on him tonight". They walked to the patrol car and rode home.

Bob walked in the house, and went straight to his room where he promptly collapsed. His shoulders heaved and the tears came.

Maxine went to Bob, wrapped her arms about him and held him while he cried. She was upset too by the appearance of Liz, she was unprepared for the shell she saw lying on the hospital bed. Gently she rubbed Bob’s back, whispering to him softly soothing sounds.

She wished she could say it would be okay, but even in her line of work she knew that would be providing false hope. They’d not know the extent of the damage until she woke, and there would be damage. She let her fingers work the muscles in his neck and shoulders trying to ease the tension that existed there from his worries.

“We will find a way Bob, the best thing is that she is still alive, that is the beginning of the greatest gift we could receive.” Her voice was soft and gentle as she spoke, trying to offer some light into the darkness he was obviously feeling.

Bob kept hearing the word "amnesia" over and over again in his head. What if she didn't know him or Maxine. She would be in a strange house at that point. Robert got up and dried his eyes on his sleeve. He had to do something to help or this whole thing would crush him. He looked at Maxine, and kissed her sweetly. "I think Liz will need the private room when she returns. We'll move you into my room and get the guest room ready for Liz. We can rent a hospital bed and have the room ready for her so she has somewhere to come home to."

When Maxine heard the idea, her heart soared. While she was not happy that Liz was hurt moving in with Bob fit her plans perfectly. "That's a great idea, Bob, I'll move my things right away" she said, a broad smile on her face.

Maxine focused on making the master bedroom her home, and moving Liz into the guest room. Four days passed and still no word from the Doctors. She was beginning to think they had lost the number for the house, but then they had said it would be a week. It seemed as every time the phone rang they were jumping at the sound, only to be disappointed. She focused on making intense and passionate love to Bob every night to ease his pain, loving the effect she had on his body. She also tried to help Bob with his studies and keep him focused on what Liz would want, which was his success and completion of his degree, but it was tough.

The doctors saw progress in Liz, and were optimistic in the coming week they would be able to wake her, yet they were still cautious. She had been through a serious trauma, and in proven histories, that usually meant ongoing damage. The main physician though, chose to call her listed family at the end of the week and inform them that on Monday he’d be waking her from the sleep she was in.

Bob was busy studying when the call came. When his cell rang, Maxine picked it up from the dresser and answered. "Sure I'll get him for you" Bob herd her say as she handed him the phone. "this is Doctor Mathews. Your on Miss Evans list of family. I calling to tell you we will attempt to wake her on Monday at 9:00 am and we encourage family to be here." "Thank you! " Bob answered,"We will be."

Bob hung up the phone and told Maxine. Bob was relieved that Liz seemed to be doing better, but was still worried, and it would be two days before he could find out more.

Maxine listened to Bob’s new anxiously. She could see he seemed to be getting his hopes up. She made dinner, and called Bob to come down. She sat close beside him her hand on his thigh, gently stroking it as they ate in relative silence. She stood after they finished eating and gently kissed him on the top of his head. Pulling him in to a hug, his ear on her growing belly so he could hear the soft mummer of the babies hearts under her skin.

“We have everything ready for her to come home, and we will be there when she wakes up. But for now until then, we need to concentrate on us.” She smiled at her lover as she gently stroked his hair. “I will clean up here while you go finish your studying, and then lets take a nice long relaxing bath.” She smiled as she tempted him.

Bob tried to work on his studies, but he couldn't concentrate. All he could think about was Liz laying in the hospital, in a coma. What if she didn't remeber him? What would he do?" he brooded at his desk but got nothing done.

He set down his books and returned to the kitchen where Maxine was just finishing with the dishes. He wrapped his arms around her, and tried to distravt himself from the worrisome thoughts with her angelic beauty. Even with her swollen belly, she was beautiful, and being pregnant her complection glowed. he reqched up under her blouse and cupped her bare breasts, now swollen as they prepared for the coming twins. Her nipples stood out pressing themselves into his palms. he ws in love with Maxine too. His dilemma continued.

Maxine leaned back into Bob’s embrace, softly responding as he teased her nipples hard and large. She let her head rest against his shoulder as he touched and caressed her. Turning she gently kissed him. “Shall we go for that bath now then?” she asked in a husky tone, taking him by the hand and leading him to their bedroom. Mmm that had a nice ring to it...their bedroom. With a smile on her lips she took him into the room then slowly began to undress as the water ran steaming hot into the large oversized tub.

Back
Top Bottom