Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can They Manage it? (Lan and Candira)

"Lanna, before I met you, I had almost nothing but bad interactions with women. Those who weren't trying to get pregnant to use me, were trying to hurt me.

But you...I gave you so much license and freedom. Any other would have stolen me blind and left me to pay the taxman.

And you would never even think of such a thing.

You are honest to where it hurts you. generous to a fault.

That, Lanna, is magical. And all I want to do is give to you what I can of myself and do anything to see that wonderful smile creep onto your face."

The coach was waiting and he sat next to her this time, holding her hand.

When they were alone, he needed almost no excuse to kiss her, and he did several times on the trip home.

Once inside, he bowed and kissed her hands. "I DO know that entereing your chambers would be improper. So I bid you the sweetest of dreams my love."

He fell into his room happy and was quickly asleep.

Carruthers cleaned up and checked on her to ensure she was out, before fixing her flowers, putting chocolates on the table and laying out fresh soaps for her.

Lanna listened to his compliments and absorbed them one by one. It was sort of a shame to know that common decency was magical in this day and age. But she was glad that he though so well of her. She smiled at him and kissed his cheek softly, lightly, pleased to be with someone who genuinely appreciated everything about her. She closed her eyes and leaned into him before looking back out on the canal, mystified by the beauty around her. "I don't know if I'm magical, but I certainly am flattered.

In the coach, she began to feel a bit tired from such a long day. She sat next to him and let him kiss her since they were all alone and in a private place. She smiled at him and felt privileged to have been out with him and learned so much.

When they came inside, she chuckled at his talk about improper behavior. "Sleep well, Hugh," she said with a grin. And with that, she went to her room. She bathed and put her dress in the wash along with a few other things, and brushed out her silky curls. They hung over her shoulders beautifully, her creamy skin glowing in the golden light before she returned to her room and put on a nightgown that covered her nicely. She slipped into bed and fell into a deep and restful sleep.

She didn't open her eyes again until morning--not even when Carruthers checked on her.

Hugh was nervous the next day.

Many collections had been scheduled for grapes, milk, and fruits.

But as he went to the bank, the account showed significantly higher in the black than the week before. So much so that the banker tried to interest him in some stock investments, but he waved it away.

He hurried home to Lanna. "Well, it was just as you expected, although the winery was so impressed that they advance paid on the next week's harvest... Um...Lanna. How do I record that?"

He still leaned on her for the advanced ideas, but was able to tally and organize much of it on his own. And that new knowledge just increased his understanding of her gifts. She didn't just count what was used, she had the knack for seeing how it could be better.

As a nobleman, he didn't have to join the guilds. In fact, since he had reduced taxes, the guilds subtly tried to exclude him and he began to understand Lanna's frustration with them.

It had been a week when he raised his head and said. "Lanna. Old Redrick has been decrying the quality of our grapes, though I think our are better than his. Compared to him, we have had a bumper crop. I have the figures of how much it costs us to grow them. What if right at harvest, I drop our profit to half. I don't think he could match it, and it might teach him to shut up his lies if his grapes are rotting on the vine.

What do you think?"

Lanna spent some of the morning dressing nicely. She styled her hair in an elegant pile of curls secured with three pins. She looked lovely, and a few curly tendrils framed her face and drew attention to her long and lovely neck. Her collar was a bit lower today, but the blouse she wore was beautiful--light and feminine. It was a lovely burgundy color that looked great against her skin. She wore a cream colored skirt that came to her calves once more. It flowed wonderfully around her legs.

She ate breakfast alone as Hugh went to do the collections. She went to the study to look over the books and go over proper pricing for everything they sold and their income so far. She entered a few expenses into the ledger and smiled, still pleased with the amount of income an estate of this size was making.

Lanna smiled as Hugh came back to the study. She pulled out the proper books for his news and helped him enter the new information so that everything would balance out. "Alright. I checked on the workers that are harvesting, and it looks like we're right on schedule," she said with a smile.

The guild continued to be a bunch of grumpy men and she found being a member less and less appealing with time. By the end of the week, When Lanna was helping teach him in the library again. She leaned over him to see the page he was looking at too think about how that might affect their business. "Hmm, would it be worth taking the hit? Sure he's spreading rumors, but if we do this it might alienate us for good. Buyers might expect the same next year as well," she said. "But if we lowered it just a little that might be good."

She smiled at him. "It's not a bad strategy, but half is a bit too big of a margin. Maybe just a special deal for taking ours over his?"

"Lanna, that's genius! We'll send cook to buy 100 lbs of his grapes, put them on our table next to ours and offer people a free handfuls of each...one sample only per person...unless it's a really hungry looking kid. Then we offer our grapes for 10% less! It's legal, people will try it and we'll nail his rumors and outsell him."

He pulled her to her feet and spun her around and around in a big hug.

"Why is the most gorgeous lady also the smartest, and mine?"

He kissed her as he held her tightly, dropping his pen on the floor. His hands slid all over her back and one came to rest on here ample derriere. He left it there and kissed down to her neck, nibbling and sucking slightly.

He was becoming quite aroused, and his stiff member pressed against her lower stomach.

He released her curvy cheek, and raised his hand to stroke the side of her breast.

Gulping audibly, he murmured, "two things. We need to get Chef moving, and we need to set the wedding date. I want you to be mine forever."

His hand continued to softly stroke the edge of her breast as he sat in the large chair, pulling her into his lap.

He pressed his cheek against her left breast, and his hand softly cupped the right.

Lanna giggled as he spun her around in a hug. She smiled as he set her down and complimented her, the woman a little dizzy with delight. She kissed him back as he pulled her in close. Her arms wrapped around him and squeezed his shoulders. Blushing as she felt his hands wander, the curvy brunette leaned into him instinctively, her hands rubbing his back as his hands slid all over her body.

Heart fluttering, Lanna shivered as his lips traveled down to her neck, the suckling and nipping tearing a groan from her throat. She could feel him pressing against her and shivered as his hand brushed against the side of her ample chest.

He had a point about both things he brought up. "I'll send someone to tell the chef," she said, panting ever so slightly as he leaned against her. "As for a date...planning for something like this takes time. I know you want as soon as possible," she teased, kissing his head. "A few months at the very least," she said softly.

He listened to her words and nodded. "As you say. Darling, I would wait years just to hold your hand if it were denied me. But I beg you not to be cruel and drag thanks out longer than they need to take."

He returned to their kiss, and his hand, cupping her right breast, began to stroke over the front. Was that a nipple?

Finally, he reluctantly released her. "You know I want you so much. But I also want you to know that I love you far more... It's for that reason alone that I'm not pulling your top of and burying my face in your bosom...but I need to tell you, my control is beginning to slip, so if you don't want something, please tell me in no uncertain terms."

He raised her hand to his mouth and kissed her palm, licking it just slightly. "And I know that my knowledge on such things, gained almost entirely through books, is probably inaccurate. The other way I learned...I'm assuming was wrong. Right now, your breasts are far too enticing. I'm going to go out to the garden for some fresh air and less privacy. If you'd care to join me, I would be thrilled to know that I haven't offended your good graces."

He turned and unlocked the outside doors, then stepped out to take a shaky breath, his face flushed.

She blushed softly as he kissed her once more. Lanna leaned into him, closing her eyes as she rubbed his back. She shivered as he cupped her breast and began stroking it. She moaned softly and blushed as he stroked her, her nipple beginning to stiffen a bit for him. Her composure and control was quickly slipping away. When he released her, despite the disappointment her body felt, she was relieved.

She was pleased with his level of restraint--it was just enough. "Oh, Hugh. I appreciate that. I'll be sure to tell you if there's something I don't want." She blushed as he kissed and liked her hand.

His admission that she was too appealing at the moment for him to handle, she had to chuckle. She gave him a moment to collect himself before she came to join him.

When she came outside, the garden was in all its late year glory. The leaves on the trees were not yet turning, but the decorative ferns were purpling, and the mums were like small trees.

He took her hand and sighed in a mock-disparaging tone. "Of all the luck...I manage to end up with the most gorgeous girl I ever met, so I have to suffer just out of reach of her charms. Why couldn't you be homely, so I'd just love you for your mind."

Then he cracked up laughing and kissed her ear. "Come down to the fish pond. Let's feed them."

The pond had stones set to walk out to an island in the middle. He had to steady her with her shoes, but it wasn't too hard. There was a torn up loaf of old dry bread, left to feed the fish.

He knelt in the grass and stirred the water and he fish jumped over each other to get close. "I think they are ready, don't you?"

The garden was beautiful--she would have to pass her compliments on to the gardeners. They did a wonderful job of keeping the grounds. She smiled as she came to his side and took his hand. Honestly, her image among the flowers was a thing of true beauty. She was like a princess. When she looked into his eyes, she chuckled at his statements.

"Serves me right for working for such a handsome and dedicated man. I should have kept looking," she teased. She laughed and kissed his cheek, walking with him to the fish pond. She stayed close to him as they moved across the stepping stones, accepting his support as he helped her to the island. When she made it there with him, she let him go and straightened her clothes a bit.

"The fish certainly look hungry. Either that or very loyal," she joked, though she wasn't really trying to be all that funny. She smiled and took some bread crumbs to toss to them.

"They're just here because they saw you and it made them ravenous...me too."

As she leaned forward, he looked around, and then let his hand stroke over a firm cheek. "You know that that rump is a traffic hazard. Walking like that could cause all sorts of wrecks." He shook his head.

"OK...business. What else do we have to accomplish...hey...you haven't seen the greenhouse! Mom collected rare flowers and our gardener has managed to grow some of them from seeds. There are orchid not normally found. I wonder, do you think we might sell cuttings to collectors? She paid hundreds for some of these...and at least one person died getting them. It has to be worth something to someone.

Oh dear...Miss Wainwright, did I just have an original business strategy erupt in my brain?"

He tossed the rest of the bread to the fish and hugged her, then helped her back through the stepping stones.

Carruthers was there with a scowl.

"Your cousin is here Sir. It seems he wishes to discuss the state of his wallet with an eye toward generating some filler for it. May I give him the boot?"

He really did not want to deal with the grasping fool...yet Tarin had some good qualities... and he had written to the boarding school. "No. I'll see him. He's my closest family now. Lanna, I think I should introduce you."

She chuckled and tossed some crumbs out to the fish, brushing her hands off. His comment about her behind and the touch itself had her turn back to him. "Oh? Maybe you better not keep watching. You might have an accident of your own." Lanna chuckled and stood up straight, turning away so that his hand was harmlessly touching her skirt.

"Even just seeing the flowers would be lovely," she said with a grin. "But selling seeds or cuttings would be a wonderful idea. You should talk to the gardeners about it." He really had his own idea and she was very proud of him. She took his hand when it was free from bread and then hugged him. Carefully, she made her way through the stones with him and stood at his side as Carruthers came forth to explain the situation.

"Well...If you think so...But what will you introduce me as? Your fiance or your manager?" she asked, tilting her head curiously. "Of course, if you introduce me as the manager I can put a cap on your granting him funds," she said softly.

Hugh smirked. Wouldn't that be perfect. His cousin was rather a practical joker, so this was a great opportunity to get even.

"Lanna, I'd so looooove it if you'd act like I've given all the finances over to you and follow you like a lovestruck puppy, doing whatever you want. He's gotten me with his jokes so many times.

You can offer him 200 gold, but make him understand that he gets no more, and you can order him around as a condition of getting it. Make him wear funny clothes, launder your stockings, or file your nails for you. Act like a dominating golddigger.

Wouldn't that be fun? He's always on some scheme and I'd be so happy to give him his own medicine. We'll let Carruthers in on what's going on. I bet he'll snap up the opportunity."

Then he folded her back into his arms. "But since this means he can't see us being affectionate, I need a surplus to tide me."

He looked longingly into her eyes and drew her hard into his embrace. His lips pressed to hers as his tongue rolled onto and under her own, sucking hers softly.

He was not letting her pull away, as his hands both slid under the cheeks of her rump, to pull her hips to him, where she could feel his hardened passion.

He was breathing so hard and sucked her lower lip in to hold with his teeth.

Then he broke with a shudder. "Wow, that will have to do. But Miss Wainwright, please be advised that I will not vouch for the safety of your entrancing bosom in the future from my lascivious attentions."

He winked and squeezed her hand. It was going to be so hard not to touch her, but in playing the role of the gushing romantic, he was going to let her know that it was only the truth...and every gesture towards her was sincere. Only her aloofness would be acted.

"Well..." She thought about it for a moment, not sure if she liked the idea of having Hugh's closest relative thinking her a cold, gold-digger. But she wondered if it would go over like he said. If so, all would be forgotten once they explained it to him. It didn't come naturally to be mean to anyone for Lanna, but a little exercise in acting wouldn't be too bad. "If you really think it will be alright, I'll play along. I don't think making him wear clothes, much less laundering anything of mine would get the right effect..." She thought about it for a moment and wondered what she could do.

"Why not have him help harvest some grapes or do something for you? What else could I have him do?" she asked, tilting her head.

But his little plan had him so excited he was already focused on not showing affection before his cousin. So she was locked in his arms, her lips pressed against his in a passionate kiss. She felt his hands cup her rear end and pull her close so she could feel just how excited he was to have her. She panted softly as he pulled away, her lower lip stuck with him for just a moment.

She blushed at his next words. "J-just not in public," she muttered, before he squeeze her hand and started off.

"Wait, I don't know what to have him do."

Hugh was all smiles as they entered the house. He held the door for her, and had her precede hin into the foyer.

Tarin was there and looked a bit nervous. "Hugh! Awfully good to see you. Terrible about Uncle...but I suppose he had enjoyed life. And who might this enchanting creature be?"

"Tarin, let me introduce my general manager, Miss Wainwright. She is responsible for all the finances of the estate. I'm happy to give up control to her and trust her implicitly. So what brings you here today?" Hugh was truly enjoying himself.

"Well, it's rather embarrassing, Hugh. But I'm in a bit of a financial pickle."

Hugh looked blankly at him. "Owe, you want some money. Well, I'm afraid you'll have to take that up with Miss Wainwright. I let her decide all such things. You'll have to show her that money placed in you is a good idea. I'll just get a snifter of brandy in the meantime." Hugh clutched at her hand. "Thank you so much for taking care of everything."

He ducked around the corner and paused to listen.

"So, Miss, um, Wainwright...how much money could I get to help me out?"

It was the first time she'd ever done anything so duplicitous on purpose, but it was for Hugh, so she was determined to get it right. The man seemed embarrassed enough, but she was supposed to be cold--aloof. So she smiled politely at Tarin, though she didn't pay him much attention. When Hugh left she merely nodded and looked expectantly at his cousin.

The man wasted no time. "Well, I should think that depends on what you're willing to do for it," she said, tilting her head. "Tell me, how are you with hard labor? Or are you more of a house chore man?" she asked, looking him over with a concentrated eye--as though she were examining a person and trying to guess how they made a living. It was clear that Tarin did not. Or at least, nothing about him gave away what that might be. She waited for him to answer as she did this.

She asked the question in a perfect way.

Tarin just stared. She was expecting him to EARN the money?

He stammered, "Well, I'm rather the expert on horse's. I could advise on which ones are the fastest."

Carruthers came by with the brandy. "Most amazingly, master Tarin has proven a link between wagering and failure. Instead of pursuing the horse's noses, might I suggest he take a turn in the coach stables, where he can balance his knowledge by familiarizing himself with the rest of the horse, Madame?"

Tarin gasped and stammered. "My...my constitution is far too weak to muck out a stable."

"Jolly sorry to hear your body is not at peak, master. In that case, I will assume that you will not need the six wine bottles you took each day last time."

Tarin stared at Carruthers. "Don't you know your place servant. How dare you speak so to your betters."

Carruthers voice was ice. "My betters are Master Hugh and Miss Wainwright. As I have found nothing lesser than you, master Tarin, you can't be a better."

Tarin glared, but caught his breath. "I'm not going to lower myself to insults with servants. Will you give me some money or not. I believe that Hugh owes me for getting him out of a scrape."

Carruthers glared and looked at Lanna. "Oh, master Tarin means the time he illegally took and underage Master Hugh to a public pub where he insulted a military man. Hugh stepped in to apologize and got a broken finger in the fracas. He owes Tarin so much, because Tarin dragged him out before he could be arrested. Oh, thank you Very very much, master Tarin!

Miss Wainwright. As the manager of the estate, would you mind if I showed master Tarin one of its better features...the front door?"

Hugh was delighted and trying had not to snicker.

"Carruthers, really. The young man came to ask for help in his time of need. It would be rude to throw him out without attempting to help him," she said, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. She smiled pleasantly and then looked at Tarin again. "Now then, I understand you're not accustomed to physical labor. However, I cannot, in good conscience, give you money without you doing something to earn it. Especially not if your skill is immaterial."

She took a step closer to him and looked him over. "Hmmm, I think we could use your help in the house. There are plenty of dishes that need to be washed for an upcoming event. Some silver that needs polishing. Carruthers can supervise while you do that. For this effort, I can offer you 200 gold, but I'm afraid that's all we can afford to give you to a solid day's work," she said, knowing that this opportunity would please both Hugh and Carruthers. That said, she turned to the elder servant. "Please, get our guest started." With a smile and turned to Tarin.

"Awfully nice meeting you Jared." With a little curtsey, she was gone.

Tarin's jaw dropped. She expected him to WORK and do CLEANING!? But he had no choice, he desparately needed the money, and it was more than ten times what he could get bartending or some such.

So he swallowed his pride and nodded. Then she called him Jared! Miserable, he followed Carruthers down to the kitchen.

Hugh waited until Tarin was gone and bounced around the corner. "That was perfect. He didn't know what hit him. Thank you. It may seem a little mean, but he has to learn a little about the real world. It's still far more than he's worth, but he is the closest family I have, even is he is mostly good for nothing.

Now, would you like to go to the library to claim your reward for such magnificent service?

He was hoping that she'd like the gift he'd designed.

She chuckled hoping that using the wrong name wasn't too much. Carruthers, at least, would enjoy getting to say, "you missed a spot" to the whelp. She could tell that was exactly what Tarin was, as well. She was completely unaffected by his charms, and was pleased to let him know it. But he didn't seem like a really bad person. Perhaps he would learn a valuable lesson.

When Hugh came around the corner, she smiled at him and nodded. "I can see that. You should have seen his face when I told him he had to work," she said with a chuckle. His mention of a reward piqued her curiosity. She hadn't known he would do any such thing for her and thought it was a sweet thing to do.

"I would like to see it," she said. "Carruthers and Tarin will be busy for awhile so I think we can afford to be friendly." She smiled and chuckled a bit, holding out her arm so that he could take her to the library.

He led her into the library with a small grin.

As Hugh walked to the far wall, where a hugs world map covered it, he moved aside a curtain, revealing a chain which be began to pull.

The map lifted revealing a family tree going back to several kings and queens. At the bottom of the tree was Hugh and Tarin, and next to Hugh, was a new addition. In beautiful gilt lettering, with a Ruby in the small 'a' was her name and face. Between other couples, there was a braid of silver and gold. Between them, the braid still hung loose.

"I wanted you to see yourself...here. As a part of my whole family, because soon you will become the center of my family. And darling, there is room below for the next generation. I hope I wasn't too presumptuous. But I love you and I always will."

He leaned on the desk and breathed a large sigh. "Is there any chance you might want to kiss me?"

Lanna watched curiously as the map was rolled up to reveal the family tree. It was absolutely beautiful. And it told her so much about his family. She looked at all of the branches at the top and then looked at him. He directed her attention to her own name. She gasped to see her name there and blushed at the idea of a family. It was beautiful and sweet and very intimidating at the same time. She simply stared at it for awhile before returning his attention to him. He sighed and she came to his side, cupping his face with her hands.

"You are a wonderful man," she said softly, little tears in her eyes. She kissed him softly and then leaned into him, lingering there for a few moments. "When did you have this done?"

While we were apart yesterday, I sent for the artist. He worked all night to have this ready. Nothing could be too good for you Lanna. Nothing."

He returned her kiss, but this time, it wasn't as needful as before, it was an expression of their union of trust and devotion.

He held her close, softly letting his lip caress her own and he moved to the large red leather couch. Pulling her into his lap, he pulled her blouse up and slid his hand over her stomach. Then his hand went to her bra, caressing each of her large breasts, and softly pinching the nipples.

"Darling, would you please remove your bra so I can properly attend to your breasts. I think it's time for me to kiss them." He then held up the properly sized ring to her and slid it onto her finger. "Besides, I want to see this hanging between them"

From a silken bag with the name of the jeweler they had visited, he removed a gold chain necklace with a pendant sporting an opal as big as her thumbnail. "On you it will truly sparkle. I sold a dozen of the wine bottles. Carruthers had them priced while we were on our picnic."

She let the kiss linger on, and was surprised to find that he wasn't quite as eager as usual. And that was because he was eager to do more than just that. Hugh did, however build her excitement up a great deal as he pulled her into his lap. Heart beating quickly, she watched as he pulled up her blouse and let his hands blindly run over her torso under the garment. She shivered as he teased her breasts and leaned into him.

Lanna blushed softly and turned to look at the door. She thought she remembered it being locked, but she wasn't sure. Either way, she couldn't hold out forever...and she was sure that if he'd intended to see her this way, she was probably safe from prying eyes.

"Hugh..." she started to say something as he slipped the resized ring onto her finger. It left her somewhat speechless. She blushed again as she realized that he had something else for her as well. She gasped as he revealed the opal pendant. "Oh Hugh...you really shouldn't have," she said, looking into his eyes. The brunette was almost certain she didn't deserve it...but she couldn't well refuse to accept it. It would hurt his feelings.

"Sneaky man," she said with a smile, teasing him a little as she leaned in to kiss him in thanks. When she pulled away, she blushed. "I'll take it off this once, but you must promise no one will find us," she said with a frown.

He nodded, "I did lock the door. Here's the key if you want it. I would not want you to feel trapped."

He gasped in admiration as she showed your bra to him, then bit his lip as she revealed her breasts. His hands were on her sides, seeking permission to touch her swelling bosom.

"May I stroke and kiss you Lanna?"

While she was removing her bra, he had wanted to hug her to himself and awaited her permission to do so.

Back
Top Bottom