Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blind Faith [Temara]

RE: Blind Faith

The light grew, a strange thing, bothering him at first, until it started to encroach about his senses and come back to him. Everything cleared up, and he imagined had he vision it would have gone from blurriness to clarity. The tears wetted his side, finding little paths down along him, and he reached up to touch them- her face- cautiously, as he seemed to quickly transfer from confusion, to headache, to awareness again. And once there, Toumas lay stunned, absently brushing some tears from Kalin's face and pushing her hair back, helping her curl into his side even while her arms were bound up and away. It couldn't be real.

But he could feel the cool of the room on his skin. The very faint heat of discarded clothes piled about. The colors on the bed, and dispersing furious red glow about her crotch- and his own. Where his shaft stood at attention yet, and with a thought he could faintly feel the blood and fluids drying over it.

That was impossible though. He'd been so careful, watching her from a distance.

His sister.

He couldn't really have...

Turning partly to a side toward her, Toumas stroked her hair and held her head to his chest so she could cry through it, as he stared... floating back and forth between horror and wonder...past her head with pale, blind eyes.

"Kay... I..."

She curled into him as tightly as she could, the tears still falling, not quite catching what he said. "I'm sorry, Toumas..." Not even aware that he was Toumas, but she was apologizing all the same to him. "I was waiting for you...." She whimpered and cried more like a child. As the haze cleared, she looked up at him with anger. "How could you! I was saving myself for Toumas!" Her anger was so great that she didn't even realize how ridiculous she sounded. She'd been waiting for 7 years for a boy she believed to be dead. Would she have become the eternal virgin for that love.

"I loved him!" She lashed out, kicking him as that seemed to be the only appendage free before breaking down into sobs again.

His eyes turned, though they continued to bounce about, without any ability to really focus in on hers, as she spoke. She had been waiting... for him? She'd wanted him? Just what was that? She crumpled and curled and cried, and even while he comforted her in a numbed state of shock, she seemed to turn to him for it... until it all came together and she lashed out.

Just as quickly she sunk into sobs again, but it had served to wake him a bit from the shock. Stirring, he rose partly, flinching back at first not so much from the kick or even her anger, as the hurt that was clearly there. Part of his instinct pushed him to make her pay for that and remind her of her place, but that was a small part, trained in a few years. Without the alcohol, it was all to abundantly clear that Kalin was not simply a woman to be owned to him. Twice more, he could have forced himself on her and made everything a thousand times easier, clearer, let her not have to worry about confusion or struggle in it, but he couldn't bring himself to that. Even if somewhere between her peculiar healing and the claims of desperation for him his shaft was still hard.

He came to a knee, and gently cupped her face, to turn it towards him.

"Kay," he said softly, reaching to cup her face with another hand; one with a scarred palm.

"Look at me. What do you see?"

He was gentle at first, but if she resisted or fought instead, he'd repeat himself more firmly and sharply, holding her face in place to look at him. The few small scars from training, and an extra he'd picked up since here or there. His burnt palms. The distinct look of his father, clear enough where he'd grown into it from the young man he'd been those years ago. The pale blue eyes, blind, and his somber, concerned expression.

He'd let her look a minute, and if she was calm and collected enough, she'd get a reward of an additional confirmation- he'd reach a hand out toward where they'd left their food, and with a small clenching of the face to indicate effort, the water from the glass would start to creep up the side of the glass and float toward his palm, where he collected a globe of it as if it were a solid object. Tenderly, he washed her sex off with the cold liquid, and his own.

It was the nickname that did it, so recently had her thoughts been stirred of her loving brother. The young man she'd fallen in love with at the tender age of 12. As he turned her head to look at him, she did so passively, her eyes almost dead. But as he told her to look at him, she resisted, trying to jerk her head away. She didn't want to see the face of the man who'd done to her what she'd allowed no one else to do. But as his voice got sharper, she opened her eyes and looked at him. He looked so much like Dainel, it hurt and her eyes squeezed shut again. All except the eyes....

"Tou Tou?" She whispered softly, wondering if she was going crazy. He was dead. Had been dead for 7 years. Maybe a dream. She hid her face behind her arms cursing herself for ten shades a fool. But eventually, she couldn't resist and glanced out again, where he remained. "Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming...", she exclaimed as he cleaned them off, the sharp coolness of the water startling her and making her realize it was no dream.

Slowly, it came to her, everything that was going on and had gone on and the burning in her hip remained. Politely, almost meekly and shy, she looked up at him. "My hip hurts, could you check it please." Not asking to be released, but only that he check on her condition so that she wouldn't be injured. Something the women of Eire did in case they would not be able to serve.

With a sad, sad smile, he nodded.

She seemed to come to and calm down slowly afterward, cleaning her up, and then himself, before simply discarding the water across the bed. He wasn't going through all the effort of collecting and putting now dirty water back into the glass. He rubbed her thigh affectionately, staring somewhere in her general reaction, until she asked him to check her hip. It seemed odd, a hair out of place, straight from all of the other reactions, but then he nodded.

"Do you mean this spot?"

He'd be worried if something else about her hip hurt, but he moved so he could almost immediately point to the brand, just gently touching it with the tip of his finger. The heat still lingered a bit, but now that he'd seen it, he'd be sure to remember where her brand sat for good. Absent mindedly, he traced the shape, tip of his finger just barely skimming the skin.

"There's a mark there, in this shape-" he wasn't immediately sure if she could see there, having not had to deal with craning his neck around to see different spots of himself for quite a bit. "How long has that been there? I want to know when you first felt it appear." His natural urge was to be gentle at the moment, caring for her- but jealousy hardened and sharpened his voice slightly as he asked, more than ready to do whatever was necessary to protect her from whomever might have started to shape the bond.

"Yes" her voice was shy, as she continued to try and wrap her mind around everything. She kept staring at his face, and wondering if she was going crazy. And if so, if she even cared. She'd lost everything and even if it was madness, she wasn't sure she minded as long as she had him again. "Oh, the mark?" She thought back and blushed brightly. "I...well...uhm...I don't know for sure, but I first noticed it hurting right after you kissed me goodbye when I headed to school right before....before..." she didn't want to finish that sentence, to acknowledge that he was supposed to be dead, and yet was here right in front of her, confusing her. It'd been a gentle kiss, but then she'd thrown her arms around him and wouldn't let go and even at that young of an age, it had almost turned passionate. They'd only separated because they'd been found out by their mother. Aquias hadn't scolded them, merely sighed and thanked the Sea Lord that they were both going to different schools. It had been a confusing time, but things were much simpler then.

"Tou Tou..."Her pause was cautionary as she looked him up and down, trying to reconcile her images of him, along with her other thoughts. "I'm probably in shock, but I don't regret what we did." Then a small rueful and embarrassed laugh. "I kinda want to do it again..." Hell, if it was a dream, why not enjoy it right? And if it was madness? Oh well. It was with a bit of devil may care attitude that she was jumping into things. If it was the only way to be with him, so be it. Dainel had saved her life, and that love was the only thing that had kept her from joining them. It was amusing to note however, that she was able to note what might be wrong with her clinically even while expressing her desires. She knew the mechanics of everything and it was just enough of a brat in her, that sent a small surge of energy right along to where he touched her, guiding it so he was even more painfully aroused. That was Kalin alright. Give her a moment to adjust, and then damn the torpedoes!

"When we kissed...?"

That was odd. He hadn't heard of it specifically- it was not how these worked. And yet, it made sense in a way. It was a small sort of claim, a little mark, and if she'd wished it to work that would only have urged on the power it had in it. So now... it could be so. She was marked to him. Incomplete, but begun, and only him. It would explain some more too, how she'd resisted that instinct so strongly. She'd already been bound, if only partly, and her mind had been fervently dedicated to his possession. It made sense, in a way, and as he looked at her, she seemed so absolutely blissful in it. Where she should have grown embarrassed from all that training, hedged away or wondered at least a bit, despite all that instinct, Kalin instead seemed to grow more excited, almost girlishly so, with the idea of having him. Had she desired him so much, beyond the kiss?

His loins tightened painfully, body moving slightly in pained need as his hand came away from her and gripped his shaft, starting to move as his other traced her inner-

"...you did that, didn't you?"

He smiled, though his lips were tight, as though not quite pleased with her bratty initiative. She wanted to force her desires up, did she?That couldn't be let stand. And now he had... marked her. And it was perfect. If he were to own her, she'd need not encourage any other man, and he'd know the only one who could hold that overwhelming, world shattering sway over her would be the one man he could always trust to act in her best interests. His loyal...

Sister.

Pet.

Slave.

Fuck.

His shaft throbbed on its own. He had never formed a woman's primary bond with her before. Once, as their first perhaps, but he'd only completed it with those already marked. He'd been a guest after all, though once he'd proven himself he'd had quite a few privileges, rights and succulent hospitalities. With an almost grimly amused smile, Toumas jammed his middle two fingers up into her, pressing against the clit with his thumb while they rammed her cunt to ready. He wanted to have her full attention, with no little devious plotting on the side or anything. "You are a girl of your home. I'll have to tell you more about the Eire. But before you can have any more of what you want, you shall have to make up that bit of greedy insolence to me."

Toumas leaned over, letting the work of his fingers continue as he licked about her breast, slowly and lovingly, dragging the wet trail of his tongue until he found the necklace. That same shape, on the necklace he'd given her so long ago.

He picked it up between his lips, and kissed it gently into her mouth.

A little test of how much instinct for that she had, as much as he knew that would require more training than the rest in time.

She started to grin at him before her eyes widened in shock and a little bit of pain, her jaw dropping into a wide O. "Gree~dy insolence?" She questioned haltingly, caught up in the pleasure as quickly he'd started. "B...buh..." she didn't get very far before her head dropped back, eyes tightly clenched, the sweat from her brow dripping into the curls that wanted to lie upon her face. But as the press of his lips against hers, her mouth opened greedily, tongue curling around the necklace and pulling it into her own mouth even as her hips rose up against his fingers and ground itself there. Already her body was aflame, her throat whimpering, practically begging for more. Fresh and eager.

Under his fingers, her body danced to the tune he created, writhing on the bed in ecstasy. She was far too ready for it all. She'd been at prime age when he'd 'died', an age when often times a woman would have already been claimed by, and then had stewed for seven long years, loyal and wanting. She continued to hold the necklace within her mouth, sucking on it as if she would have sucked on him, as if her life depended upon it. And again, another crash of pleasure came over her body, the fluids from within seeping out and around his hand as her body tightened around him as if to contain him within. The idea of knowing more of where she came from, came second to the pleasure and joy she had at the hand of this man; her brother.

Toumas smiled, a calm, knowing smile and watched as she worked with her mouth. It wasn't the same, but she was still trying, working the thing. He could only tell so much of that through sight, though kissing her again helped iron it out. He could feel the wanting motions, and pulled the necklace from her, kissing beneath her jaw once more before Toumas removed his fingers- and rose from her.

"Looks like you are ready to."

His fingers- the ones wet with her- replaced the necklace's end, pushing into her mouth, and then back into her throat. He could only expect so much on her first attempts, but if she was to learn and work for this, he would have to prime her at some point. Kalin could suck on them, gag and choke if she must as his fingertips pushed into her throat. His hand would hook around her jaw, and cute little lips. They weren't going to move to aggravate her too much, but he intended to lock his fingers into place. Hopefully, the poor girl wouldn't vomit. But he had to train her, one way or another, and that was just a part of it. In the meantime of it, he untied the belt from the bed, leaving her wrists bound, but not anchored, and tugged upward on them as he started to rise to his feet. Only staying low enough to make sure his fingers stayed anchored in place until she was up on her knees and ready.

She only got the barest scent; her nose wrinkling at the unfamiliarity before the two fingers were shoved down her throat. Her head jerked forward as she fought to gag, she even felt the bile rise in her throat, new tears forming at the corners of her eyes. She struggled, trying to speak but it only served to shove the fingers down her throat and she gagged again and had to clamp down on her lips to keep from vomiting. Violently she began struggling, her hands jerking against the bedpost, trying to get to where she could do something. She couldn't do this! She didn't even know what he was doing. Panicking, she began flailing again, jerking against the bed and him, trying to get free.

Now that reaction was a great deal less willing than what she'd shown a moment ago. Was she objecting to tasting herself, or just not prepared to use her throat at all, he wondered as he held his fingers tight for the moment being, but abandoned his motion to untie her.

"Kay. Kay-" he put it sharply, gripping her chin with his other hand to get her attention, keep her eyes on him. "Look at me."

He could only assume she followed that order, holding her forcibly still to try and calm her down. Once she'd calmed down, he'd pull the fingers back from her throat into her mouth, and leave them there for her to suck clean, hoping she'd get the hint, and leaving them until she did. "You'll have to get used to that if you want to please me with your mouth," or to do it properly, rather. There was no reason to half ass it, even to start, but he needn't begin by grabbing her head and jamming his length into her until she passed out. This was a kinder way to begin, odd as it seemed. Once she had some calm, he'd decide to try again, this time using his other hand to force three thick fingers into her. Once again, he'd work the thumb against the clit, but twist the fingers as they moved in and out, keeping it changing enough for the pleasure to be distracting, not something settling put.

"Look at me. Focus on the pleasure, and focus on pleasing me."

If she was sucking his fingers by this point, he'd make her continue, stopping and prompting her if it ever halted, playing with her as he gradually pushed his fingers further in with each suck. He was expecting that gagging to happen again, but he'd try and nurse her through it, and keep her too engaged on other things to panic and make it worse than it was.

She looked up at him trustingly, a look that would be surely lost on the blind man. But it did calm her and she was taking it far better than she could, having just been fucked by the brother she believed to be dead. As his fingers slipped back to just her tongue, the wave of urge rose in her again but she managed to stifle it until it was laying there calmly. As she looked up at him, her tongue moved idly about his fingers, licking them until she got used to the taste. Did he want them cleaned? She'd heard of females who'd done that and tried to think of how to? Tenatively, if the girl had ever done anything tenatively, she closed her lips around his fingers and began sucking on them, then wrapping her tongue around, over and through them.

But as the three fingers invaded her below, she jumped before softening, her body relaxing. It wasn't easy laying down like this, and she squirmed, not to get away, but to pull herself up, keeping her mouth around him, and twisting her arms almost painfully behind her, even as she whimpered at the painful angle. She managed not to gag more than a few violent small jerks but it was hard to concentrate. But after a few moments, the feeling of her rough tongue over his fingers began to be memorizing, swirl, lick, slide, suck....small little motions that seemed to please him, if he gave her any indication that what she was doing was right.

"Good girl," he'd have patted her hair to reward and reassure her, but his hands were both busy. Cleaning might not have been the right idea, but eventually she got the motion right, which led to the pushing deeper- and once she had it down enough to have it starting into her throat, he'd praise her yet again. The process was slow but involved, eyes on her face, hoping he seemed to offer her eye contact as he'd slowly work below more fervently as the need for distraction grew greater. Bit by bit, he'd work the fingers in. The goal was to have them deep as he could put them without her vomiting or starting to freak out again.

If either came first...

She was just so close to done. He'd let her turn to not risk covering herself, but hold them in firmly, cooing soothingly while he teased her pussy, and letting his face show some bit of how her motions were successful, a bit of extra encouragement.

The steadiness helped, she thought, trying to analyze everything he was making her do. She still wasn't sure why she was doing it though, and that frustrated her. But she couldn't think about it too much. Over and over he worked her, even as his fingers made their way further and further down her mouth and throat. She gagged a few more times, but not violently so. Small whimpers began to build up, only to be smothered by his fingers. Her arms hurt, but she twisted and writhed against his fingers until yet again, she convulsed, her petite body shaking and trembling. And each time, she seemed surprised by her own reaction, but this time she clamped down with her teeth on his fingers, trying to keep a grip and as upright as she could so as to not fall backwards, biting surprisingly hard, her sharp little fangs digging in as she tried to keep her balance.

He had been very proud. She was pressing forward on her new task, and had just about gotten him to the depths of her throat, as far as he could expect his fingers to reach. Toumas worked steadily, pleasuring her while she learned how to pleasure him. It was going exceptionally, and despite her twisting and sounds in the distraction, he'd just about decided that she was ready to move on to the main course an try this out for real.

That was when Kalin came, really twisting and straining herself in the orgasm, and bit him.

It hurt, and Toumas immediately exclaimed, trying to pull his fingers out by instinct, which were wedged in a bit too tight by her unusually fang-like teeth to accompany the cat-like tongue. Later, perhaps, it would make him think he needed to go and learn more about her race in specific, as it clearly wasn't purely human now that he'd had a chance to notice these details, and to see if they had any other specific peculiarities. At the moment, however, he had removed the hand pressed into her sex in his pained jerking, and shortly after become mindful again of just what he was teaching her; the biting would not do by any stretch of the imagination, and had to be firmly rooted out.

In short order, he turned her over, freeing his trapped fingers as soon as he could without skinning them, and began laying his palm across each of Kalin's buttocks with sharp smacks, in steadily timed repetition. "No biting!" he put with a firm voice, "you're learning to go down on me; and when you are, whatever else happens, whatever troubles you have, never bite."

He imagined she'd get the idea quickly.

She hadn't meant to bite him, and was about to apologize when she was unceremoniously thrown over. She couldn't make heads or tails of the matter at all. This was supposedly Toumas, but he was a lot harsher than he'd ever been before. She'd never even been spanked before, neither Dainel nor Aquias had believed in it as a way to discipline someone. Kalin wasn't so sure she agreed. It definitely got her attention.

Crying out with the first strike, it was more startling than pain as she tried to wiggle free, fighting to try and find some way to protect herself, only to have him put his weight down on her further, pinning her to the bed as he continued the lesson concerning the biting. Her head tossed to the side, her face bright red with exertion but none of it seemed to stop her arousal, instead it almost seemed to make it worse. "STOP!! PLEASE STOP!!", she cried to him. This couldn't be Toumas, he would never be so cruel. Her skin was tender and non calloused, reddening almost immediately, the welts swelling upwards contrasting against the bright pink. "It' hurts!"

Hardened though he might have been by things, changed in many ways, it was still his sister. This was for her own good... or his... as the one... but in that sense, considering what she was to be... it made his head ache, trying to discern where the line of the necessities and his own benefit crossed. He was doing it for her, to train her so he could protect her, and make her into something she'd clearly seemed to have more than a little interest in becoming a bit ago, and yet she was clearly so naive. He was the one who had been to the Eire, after all, not her.

The soft spot he had for her stung, and he lightened as she protested, but continued a few moments longer, stopping after she exclaimed of how it hurt. Which was certainly the point, but in someways, that simple, innocent statement of the obvious stung and withered as much as anything. This was the woman he'd, admittedly while drunk, forced down not long ago. Put to training, who had enjoyed all the strain and pain.

Or was his learning in the Eire of what she was and how its women were to be dealt with leaking through into unsuited places?

She had learned her lesson, in any case, and Toumas hung his head as he tenderly rubbed the glowing cheeks, and then lowered his head to kiss them. Perhaps he'd been blind a moment before, as he noted the smell and heat again now, gathering, not simply lingering. He wasn't entirely sure what that reinforced at the moment, but the whole matter was a great deal of confusion for him.

He repeated the instructions on biting.

But she still seemed confusion, so he closed his eyes, and decided he might as well let her find out the clearest way of all. "Let's give it a try then," and he'd give another kiss, aggravating the hurt but rubbing away the shock with his hand in tender motions before he moved to start untying the belt from the bed. She'd have to follow as he raised it, leading her wrists, up to her knees while Toumas stood up on his feet atop the bed. Despite the confusion and discouragement, there was plenty enough between provocative magics and her squeaks of protest and warm body to have kept Toumas long and hard.

As she got released, she began to rub her wrists and looked up at him with the puppy dog eyes but silent. It had always worked on him as a kid, as if he could see her doing it. As she was tugged upward, she gave no protest, but the frown became more natural. "Toumas...."As aroused as she was, she was used to working through her arousal, no matter the circumstances as long as there was no direct stimulation. She was able to calm her nerves and begin to think through things rationally. After all, he hadn't done anything sudden and she was a smart girl.

"Why are you acting like this?" She wiggled a bit trying to get comfortable, still confused as to his behavior, giving a sharp hiss of pain as something pulled slightly. She glanced at his shaft springing forward, and licked her lips as her mouth got suddenly dry. But she wanted to know. No, needed to know. "You were always strict with yourself...but never like this...not with me..."

He started as if to speak, but stopped, turning inward until he could clarify exactly what he meant to say. There was a lot going on here, and a lot to say. It was difficult to know what was honestly the reason, and where to begin. To some degree it was because she had seemed to enjoy that. He had been the forceful presence he'd had to be at times in other lands, especially when it had drawn the proper reactions, but now it certainly was not.

"Forgive me. Years have passed." And time changed men whether they willed it or not. Especially with the sort of events it had deposited on him. "I have been worried about you. Am. And to a degree I may be grown used to the ways of the Eire. Does it bother you so much?"

He wasn't really sure now, if it did or not. Was she scared and resentful of it, or just confused and worried? He had been trying to teach her, and this was how he knew how. This was what would help her function in a place she had no experience so that he could properly keep her safe. The claiming would do a goodly part of the work when it was complete, but it would also not do everything.

She was still managing not to freak out too much, but it was a bit difficult. All in all, she felt like she was 12 again and being explained the facts of life. "You keep mentioning this Eire. What is it? I've never heard of it before." She smiled as he petted her hair, somehow finding a great deal of pleasure in making him happy enough to do it. "I never dreamed you'd ever see me as anything but a sister...and now...this." She was naive, not an idiot. She knew what had happened. She was trying to process everything. Toumas back from the dead, and at least sexually interested in her and then all this 'training'. He was her kind Toumas, who was patient and explained things before doing rash things, he was....right?

Leaning up as far as he would allow, she pressed her face into his hips, doing her best to nuzzle or comfort him. He seemed almost as lost as she, just in different ways. "I'm perfectly happy if we don't do those things. If you don't want to. I would never make those kinds of demands on you. I just..." She sighed and looked up at him. "I love you, and as long as I'm with you, I'll be happy. I don't need sex or anything else." Even if having his shaft beside her face made her lick her lips again or want to nuzzle it as well. Talk about easily distracted. She'd never been this distracted before.

The nuzzling might have been meant to comfort him, and it would certainly have been appreciated, as it felt quite good. But it did less to calm Toumas than to arouse him.

"But you want it, do you not? And I desire you... a great deal, much as I never expected to."

His fingers fell behind her ear, turning a nail in toward the back of his to scratch affectionately, like one would a cat. It seemed an appropriate analogy in many ways. He had thought the talk might let him go down at least, since it wasn't exactly the most enticing conversation one could have, concern rampant in it. But Kalin seemed quite ready to see to it that he would have no such problems just through her instinct. He very nearly took the back of her head in his hand and pushed her lips to his shaft, though it was likely enough she'd do that on her own before long.

As long as she was kneeling with her hands suspended, he'd bring them close enough to touch his chest. As if he needed to confirm their desire to her.

"After... afterwards, there was not much left to me. With you safe within the temple, I went to learn of the place you'd come from, before father found you. The Eire."

Her head had already been tilting towards just the purpose he'd assumed. She was processing quickly, she might have had a slight speech disability as a child, but it wasn't because of her mind. "I do want you. That much is obvious when you can get through all my hangups and I don't even know who you were." A small laugh as she tilted her head down. She'd been around enough 'rough' necks to get the idea of what he'd meant by 'going down' on. Her lips had just wrapped around the head of the shaft when he spoke again, and he felt only the barest pinprick before she jerked her head back and glared up at him, as awkward as the situation was.

"You did WHAT?! You just left me there, thinking you'd died!?" She shoved against him, and with her on her knees and him on an unstable bed, she had the advantage of leverage. "I thought you'd had an accident, amnesia or one of those other random things that happen all the time and you just abandoned me?!?!" She moved over him if he'd gone down like some kind of predator. "You just left me! I thought I'd lost everyone I'd ever loved and you just let me go on thinking that?!! How could you!?" Her hands balled up, and while she was a white mage....she had been taught to fight. And no matter how skilled, he was blind and in an unfamiliar room.

Despite her confusion earlier, she seemed to get the idea. Until the thought was waylaid entirely.

Toumas fell, catching himself on his hands, and while he let her climb up over him without making any real motions to defend himself- even against a white mage with bound hands- his face was stern and set. Not to shout angrily back, but simply hardened, bitter but stubborn. He let her speak her peace and express her anger. He could understand this anger. But even as he sat motionless with no signs of defense, he seemed defiant.

"Months later, when I could have managed to have found my way back- you would have had a blind boy, with nothing and nowhere to go to, pull you away from your life and tell you of how he hid while everyone else died?"

There it was.

His shame.

He had been a warrior, something that did not stand as true for much of the rest of the caravan. He had been away from it when the attack had begun- and when he came back to the sign of so many bodies, the sounds of violence and agony, his duty would have been simple. He was to enter headlong and defend who was left at all costs. Instead, outnumbered, confused, alone and blind, he had simply been terrified. Weak. And fled. Toumas felt as much that he'd lost himself that day as she had, clear in his tone, less defending himself than digging further in. All the same, he refused to lay own and die in his guilt. Something he had very nearly done numerous times after the attack. If he had done his duty, perhaps some would have survived, perhaps their mother or father. Perhaps he would have been too busy rotting with them to creep back out once night had fallen to bury the bodies in graves as deep as he could manage by himself. He would still have had his pride at least.

A soft sigh exhaled, and her head dropped, the curls covering up the tears in her eyes. This whole night ...or at least the past hour or so had been a complete and total roller-coaster. "You're an idiot." And she dropped back, sitting back on the bed, her back to the wall, knees pulled in with her arms wrapped around them, still bound in the front. "So what if you hid? You were still a child then, even if you had almost graduated. Even if you'd been blind, the Falican's would have taken you in, Father left enough behind to have covered your school charges. He was a High Priest at one point, they don't just abandon the children of former high priests. Instead, you felt guilty for not having done anything." She shook her head and looked over at him.

"You forget, Father found me when I was living on the street. I'd been raised by a boy who was only five years older than me. We were cutpurses and I had a speech impediment. Davey got killed... and even Father couldn't do anything to save him..." She unwrapped her arms and crawled over to him, resting her head on his shoulder if he'd let her, trying to curl up and cuddle with him. "You always did have too much pride."

His mouth tightened, but Toumas didn't necessarily have a come back to that. Pride had been a big part of who he was, what he was, his growth and learning. And then, that day, he'd taken a great hit to it... and been left with nothing but it. There was some left at home, but he'd hardly even been able to go there aside from to steal looks from a distance. It had been too hard to go in, and announce that he was the sole survivor of the family. Eventually he had collected much of what he would have been left in any case, but none of that happened expediently.

And here she was, thoughtlessly telling him she'd have been happy and willing to leap from the temple to the street with him, and live in poverty if that was what it took. Exactly what he'd been afraid of when he'd thought of confronting her.

Guilty conscience and being proven right made uneasy friends, but in the end it left him roughly where he'd begun a few moments before.

His arm wrapped around her, and he hugged her tight while some fingers found their way to the texture of her hair absently, moving through it. His thoughts wandered, but he noted to himself that he'd yet have a great deal she might find objectionable about Eire to explain to her, and as well that after making that all work... he'd need to complete the mark. And for all he knew, despite her dedication to him, if Kalin knew exactly what the mark did she might have grown resentful of letting it be forged any further. She certainly didn't need it to proclaim loyalty, and likely to keep it. But to not complete it left her vulnerable. Something he couldn't abide by, could it be helped.

Back
Top Bottom