Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Attention Grand Forks Otaku's!!!!

Welcome to the 'Otaku Club' I am your dirctor and friend Rina. I hope you all are excited to be here. The purpose of this club is to raise money for putting on a anime con here in Grand Forks. If we can pull it off then the voice actor Vic Mignogna said he would be honored to attend if his schedual allowed.

Unlike most clubs that charge nearly $100 a month to be a part of them this club only charges $20 a month and all money goes to supplies for the club and to getting the con set up for everyone to meet Vic in person. I can contact him and give him updates through email since i have his personal email address.

If you have ideas on how to raise money let me know ok. The sooner we raise the money the sooner we can all meet Vic. I will even ask Rumiko Takahashi in a message on face book if she would attend. Takahashi-sensei accepted my friend request on facebook. She is the one who created Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha along with other great animes. I shall try to get other voice actors and anime creators like Vic and Rumiko to attend the con once its set and ready to go. I'll give out info as needed to those who specifically contact me via PMs.

That's all I can say for now if you wish to join the club then send me a message through either email or pm. Those who truly plan to attend the club will be given a special thank you mention once the con is successfully done, they will even receive a card for them to join the Risembool Rangers Vic's own official fan club!

Hope to her from you all soon
Rina

Isn't Otaku an insult?

Also I dont think you are going to get many people just throwing money at someone on some internet forum.

Thats not my intent and otaku is not an insult it describes people like me who are obsessed with anime or anything to do with anime. i see the word as a statement of a group of people with a common interest.

Rina-Sesshys-Mate said:
Unlike most clubs that charge nearly $100 a month to be a part of them this club only charges $20 a month and all money goes to supplies for the club and to getting the con set up for everyone to meet Vic in person. I can contact him and give him updates through email since i have his personal email address.

If you have ideas on how to raise money let me know ok. The sooner we raise the money the sooner we can all meet Vic.

You seem to ask for money a lot.

urban dictionary said:
Otaku is the honorific word of Taku (home).

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Usually an otaku person has nothing better to do with their life so they pass the time by watching anime, playing videogames, surfing the internet (otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer).

In the Western culture, people confuse otaku to be something positive like "Guru". If you think about it, it's not really good to be called a guru if it means you are a total loser who can't socialize with other people except through the Internet.

Other Japanese words which have been confused by Westerners also include but not limited to: Anime, Manga, etc

Its an insult babe.

hey i use the word in a good way to describe people who love anime, not as an insult and as for the money thing you don't seem to notice the part of it going to get a con set up and have Vic Mignogna come. He told me he would be honored to attend if it happened and anyway i put this up for anyone in Grand Forks North Dakota who wanted to do stuff outside their home. If you don't like how i worded things then ignore the thread.

Even still the word is negative. Its rather much like someone calling themselves whore and not expecting people to call you out on it. Thats nice dear, I was just warning you that this will not be the best place to do this.
Nope I am fine.

I merely put this up for people in my town to see, weither they respond to it or not is up to them so please don't make me look like a bad guy. as i said I use the word in a different way, my meaning is 'anyone who loves anime' nothing more nothing less and never as an insult.

Urban Dictionary is something to be taken with a grain of salt. Otaku may be commonly used in a derogatory sense by those who look down on that type of person, but for those within the group, it's generally a word said with pride and camaraderie - most of the time I've heard it used it's been used in a positive sense. (Another example of something like this is let's say Person A might call Person B a trekkie and laugh, but Person B and Person C might refer to themselves with the word excitedly.)

An example of it being used positively is the anime convention Otakon that takes place in Maryland every summer; Otakon, or 'otaku convention.' To my knowledge it's the largest anime convention in North America, and second largest in the world.

That aside, Rina, your post doesn't come off with a very professional feel to it, and as PK said I don't think you'll have many people here willing to donate to some faceless, unaccountable person on the internet. Your best bet really is just to keep an eye on Vic's website and see if he mentions doing any conventions within driving distance of you. If you're determined to start your own thing, you'd be better off doing local, offline fundraisers among anime fans in your area. Or maybe start a Facebook group and see if you can get people from your community to join.

Rina has had permission to post for her club. Constructive criticism.... KEYWORD - CONSTRUCTIVE.... is fine. But the negativity? Please stop it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom