Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Twisted Fates - Risi & Caspian

She had only woken slightly, to feel the movement of air beside her ear telling her that she was no longer sitting still. She had a trust that he would keep her out of harm, as he had done once before, so before she even reached the top of the steps, she had fallen back into slumber again. As she dreamed, she smelled the musk and heat of his male presence and it lavished her with his scent. In her dream, there was a man, not too unlike Vivian in the aspect that he was cloaked from her view. Nell followed him through a maze of sorts, until he finally stopped and she wrenched the cloak from him, afraid she wouldn't get the chance to again. But as the cloak fell, her eyes opened into consciousness, hearing the the bath water running from the room beside her.

"Oh good, you're up," she heard the maid say happily as she bustled about the room and began throwing curtains open to let in the morning's sun. Nell groaned and covered her head with the blanket, only to find it whisked from her clutches as the maid began to urge her from bed. "The water will be cold if you don't hurry..." she warned and began setting out a dress that Nell had never seen before. The fabric was soft and had a rouge tint to it while the bodice to the corset was a deep purple that matched the hue of the skirts. A slight gasp left Nell's lips as she looked at the embroidery work that was in both the bodice and the skirt, little butterflies. "Off to the bath with you!" the maid teased and swatted her from the dress.

Once she had bathed and dried her hair into its natural wavy blonde curl, the robust woman finally let her don the petticoats of linen and lace before stitching her up in a corset and letting her pull on the dress. Her pale features were glowing from the inside out as she looked upon herself in the mirror. "Where did this dress come from?" she asked as she twirled in it. The maid just shrugged and shook her head before adding, "Your breakfast will be served in the dining hall in five minutes." And then she slipped out the door, leaving Nell with no directions on how to reach the dining hall.

As she wandered aimlessly, Nell gazed upon the lovely furnished home, hoping she would somehow come upon the dining room by chance.

Vivian had already left the house by the time Nell was awake. He was in good spirits, in spite of his embarrassment from the night before. It was a long, long time since he beheld the naked skin of a woman and he conceded that such a reaction should not have been unexpected. He finally mastered his urges, but had to admit to himself that he wanted to see more of her. That night he had dreamed of her, walking arm in arm with him. Laughing playfully as they walked through a forest path. She stopped to smell the flowers and sighed with contentment as they walked. Vivian found the dream was very pleasant until his insecurity snuck in. He realized she could see his naked face and he panicked. When she turned to him her eyes opened, revealing... He awoke, happy with the dream but disappointed with the end.

The driver took him to his entrance to the factory and Vivian contacted the plant manager. The manager knew the rules of conversation. Vivian sat with his back to the door and the manager listened. That was all. No questions and no rebuttal. Vivian had a new girl to replace Nell Poliano at her station and Vivian would find her a new task when she was ready to return to the mill. The manager accepted and left, wondering how Mr. Thurston knew any of the names of any of the employees in the mill, let alone Nell.

Vivian did not return to the house until nightfall, as was his preference. He wondered what Ms. Poliano had done with her day.

Once she had found her way to the dining hall, she felt a bit more at ease with the layout of the house, as she had successfully walked most of it before she sat to eat. It was nearly a full buffet of food put on show for her at the twelve foot, wide wooden table. "Oh dear!" she exclaimed as she saw the banquet and shook her head, "I can't possibly eat all of this." There were scrambled, poached, and sunny-side-up eggs, along with bacon, and three different types of toast. Also, there was a large arrangement of fruit, each was plated with the skill of an expert chef and Nell was sure it tasted as so.

Once she had felt to the brim with food, she excused herself from the table, slightly feeling guilty to the mass amount of food that was still on it. Slowly but surely, she then made he way to the study, somewhat expecting Vivian to be there. However, upon her arrival, she found a different maid cleaning the room. With a slight clearing of her throat, the woman turned with a slight smile, "Good morning Ms. Poliano, the Master is at work. I assume that's who you were looking for?" Nell nodded shyly and looked to her feet, "You can call me Nell, there's no need to call me by my last name." The maid gushed then, "Oh, what a beautiful name. Nell," she held it on her tongue for a moment, "And for such a beautiful young woman. I hope you like your stay here. We haven't had a guest in many years that wasn't here on business."

Nell blushed at her words and the woman drew herself closer, touching her hand upon Nell's chin and tapping it kindly to bring up her gaze, "There is no need for this shy nonsense, you are lovely, and most likely smart too. I've heard the rumors of your father, and I am sorry for your loss, but I know what it takes to keep a gambler, my husband is one. You are strong under this exterior. And Master Thurston likes strong women." The maid left on that note with a smile, and shut the double doors behind her strongly.

Wondering when Vivian would be home, she bided her time wisely, figuring he would want to be in his study once he got home. So, instead of going back to her room she browsed the titles of his study's bookshelves. When she happened upon The Blind, too, Can See she curled up within his large chair, the one he had used to hide from her the previous night, and began to read it. Time passed as she submerged herself into the book of how people still overcame their debilitating issues, and she kept on reading up until, and through, the arrival of Vivian; little to her knowledge.

Vivian was thankful for the setting of the sun when he could venture out into his waiting carriage. The day at the mill was nothing out of normal except there had been no Nell on the floor looking up at his window. Something he now missed. At least when she was down on the mill floor he could see her face. Now she was trapped in his house and he couldn't bare to be seen.

The driver pulled up to the front of the house and Vivian got out with unexpected exuberance. He jumped down from the interior of the cabin, skipping the two usual steps down from the door. He leaped up the set of 6 stairs at the front door, stepping down on only one stair before finding himself on the landing. He did not want to interrupt anyone and wanted to be prepared when he called for Nell to ask her of her day, so instead of calling for his dinner he went immediately to the study. He half expected to hear Nell's footsteps behind himself when he walked into the study. He coyly turned around to make sure she wasn't following. He sighed and absently walked over to his usual chair and stood agape for a second, looking Nell square in the eyes.

He moaned, shielding his face from her eyes. He felt nauseous thinking desperately of a place to hide himself. He immediately sat down in the chair that had been set up for Nell at the back of the other chair.

"What!!? What are you doing in my chair?" Vivian demanded, lashing out at his misfortune.

As she read through the book, rather enthralled within it, the rest of the world seemed to go silent. It was always like that for Nell when she read though, it was a safe place for her to hide. So, when a shadow crossed the path of her page, she instantly looked up to find the face of a man she had never seen before. But, before she could really make out any of his features she heard a furious roar, then found it had came from the man as he shielded his face against her, as if she were Medusa or something. Scurrying away from her, Nell sat paralyzed with fear. Had that man been trying to rob Vivian? she though, beginning to get to her feet just as she heard Vivian's voice come from behind her.

Then it clicked, and Nell felt like a moron.

"I-I'm so s-s-sorry!" she stuttered out, pitching her face into her hands as the book fell into her lap. "I didn't know where the time went, it always happens when I read. I just couldn't help but read." Tears began to well up in her eyes, "I didn't mean to break any rules, I'm so sorry!" Had she of known that he was worried about her seeing his face, she would have added that she hadn't seen it, but alas, she could not read his mind. "I can go, if you want," she added, popping up from the chair but staying faced the way she was. Her dress flitted about her ankles as she stood, realizing she shouldn't have sat in his chair in the first place.

Vivian's breathing began to slow back down from it's frantic pace and his heart rate started to relax a moment. He had so long clung to his fear of being seen that it was an almost natural to react with fear and anger. He certainly did not mean to scare her and now she was so frightened of him she offered to leave. Vivian chided himself for lashing out so quickly.

"I am sorry Ms. Poliano. I am sorry for the outburst of anger. I was not expecting to see you in my chair and I was certainly not expecting for you to see me." Vivian sighed. "It would be most unfortunate if you felt you had to leave because of it. Please, stay and be my guest. As a matter of fact, wait here. I will see if I can't find something special."

Vivian walked out of the room and went to the cellar and brought up the two finest bottles of red wine he had in his formidable cellar. Two Clarets from France. He had saved it, hoping for a special occasion if one ever came along. He felt rewarded with the company to share it with and decided he couldn't let them sit until they were corked. He went to the kitchen where he grabbed two glasses.

He brought them to the study, looking to see that Nell was still in his chair, with her back to him. After uncorking the bottle he set it down behind the chair that was occupied by Nell. He walked up to the back of the chair and slid a glass into Nell's hand, sliding his fingers against the back of her hand only slightly. Just enough to feel her skin against his own for a brief moment. He reached down and poured wine into the glass from behind Nell so as not to tempt her to look.

"Salut"

Vivian rang his bell to inform the servants that he was ready for dinner.

"Have you eaten yet?" He asked.

Not expecting her to see him? She couldn't believe he was so disfigured as to scare her off. Could it even be possible? Nell thought not, but apparently Vivian did. However, he calmed quickly and became rather apologetic before he disappeared suddenly. How ever much she longed to turn and await his arrival, she knew better to just sit tight and wait for him from the confines of his cushy chair. With a few swishes of fabric she gathered that he had returned to the study. His warm fingers slid along the back of her hand briefly as he placed a wine glass in her hand. As fast as his touch had come, it fleeted from her hand as the glass seemed to magically fill beside her and she heard him sit down once again.

"Salute," she returned, lightly, still a bit weary. "I had breakfast earlier, but I just got so lost in this book..." she trailed off and took a sip of the wine. Nell wasn't much of a drinker, as there was never money to spend on liquor in her home with her father, so the wine was a pleasant taste upon her pallet. "Thank you for the wine," she began, "Oh, and also for the dress. It is so very lovely."

"Think nothing of it. I am glad to be able to help. Presumptuously, I have taken the opportunity to order dinner for the both of us. I am sorry, again, for my outburst. I hope that a fine meal and the warmth found in a good Claret will chase any nasty memories away." Vivian sighed. "I am sorry, I don't allow others to see my face. I believe it's for the best. I have seen too many tears well up in the eyes of a child at the sight of me."

What Vivian didn't say is that, after a bottle or two of fine red he may have the courage to share his disfigurement with her, but he dared not speak that thought aloud.

Dinner arrived along with some small serving tables. The chef had prepared fresh pheasant, stewed plums, rice and asparagus. The pheasant had a crispy skin and a well salted flavour; all of which was accented by the stewed plum sauce. The meal was one of the chef's specialties and he only made it on special occasions. Company was always a special occasion and was a rare treat for the servants in the house. Vivian finally turned his eye towards something outside of himself and outside of the house.

Vivian sighed contentedly and told Nell his story, about his family and about the attempt on his life from his uncle. He also told of the court case and his uncle's nasty demise in prison. As the night progressed the wine flowed more and more freely. Vivian had a rosy glow on his one cheek and he could feel both his ears burning with the heat that only red wine brought.

He laughed about his life afterwards, the company of strangers in the bar every once in a while and the strange circumstance that led Nell to staying in his house. He suddenly stopped, lost at what to say. His life for the last 10 years could be wrapped up in the following schedule: Get up, go to the mill, wait for dark, go home, drink wine and sleep.

"I haven't sat and talked with someone in my own house with someone who didn't serve me in nearly 10 years Ms. Poliano. You're the first company I have had for so long I can barely remember." Vivian sighed and grew quiet.

Back
Top Bottom