Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Destructive [Cheshire smirk x Ecchi]

The witching hour, what a glorious time. Six candles were arranged in a wide circle, with two figures standing inside the ring of flames, one kneeling in supplication. All was silent save the moaning of the wind as it whipped through the surrounding trees, harsh breaths somehow managing to spare the dancing flames from what should be their end.

"Blood, hear my call, bring forth Larethia, daughter of the endless void."

The words were spoken in a deep, clear voice with an accent more frigid than the howling gales of the northern spine of the world. A flash of silver followed by a gurgling sound indicated that the kneeling figure had just been sacrificed for the rite. The second figure crumpled, twitching on the ground for mere seconds before it burst into vivid turquoise flames.

"You called...Master?" A second, disembodied female voice whispered, the sound coming from nowhere and everywhere all at once.

The flames died down, revealing a slender female figure, barely five feet in height, winged but completely naked. The newcomer snapped her fingers, conjuring what could barely pass as the tightest, and shortest of crimson robes.

"Indeed, we have work to do. Assume your guise and follow me, much has changed since last I called upon your talents." The first figure answered.

A quiet giggle was all the female gave before her shape changed, a sudden shift from something human to that of a crimson eyed lynx. The feline rubbed against the male's calves in a manner reminiscent of a kitten before sitting on it's hind quarters and looking up expectantly, waiting for the male to lead the way.

The male looked down at the silver chalice he had brought, and to the swirling contents within. A reflection stared back, intense, cunning topaz gaze meeting his own. The man's name was Vallios, and he was heir to the throne of Everend, one of the most prominent nations of the Western Kingdoms. In every physical feature he was the definition of a Xiloscient son, a sharp but not over-imposing chin, strong jaw, high cheek bones and a throat length mane of raven hair, darker than the abyss itself, a perfect compliment to his alabaster skin.

A warrior's build and a sorceror's mind, Vallios was certainly destined for a great...and terrible reign. Eventually Vallios turned his gaze to the heavens above, temporarily entranced by the shining stars above. Often times he'd find himself sidetracked by the majestic cosmos and their sheer vast presence.

Celeste was always a pretty girl, from the time she was young to the time she had grown into a young adult. She was beautiful really, with deep red hair, fair skin, and striking, though oddly colored, bright red eyes. No one could say why she had these eyes, as none knew of her lineage. Even Celeste herself did not know who her parents were. She'd been simply left, abandoned on the doorstep of an orphanage. But anyone who saw her knew she stood out among the other girls, and looking deeply into her eyes was almost mesmerizing as they held a fascinating allure.

It was a fateful day when a knight saved her from a demon attack on her town, slaying the creature, and personally pulling her from its attack. On this day, she decided she wished to be a knight as well. There was, however, a problem with this dream. Women were forbidden from becoming soldiers or knights. That was a man's position, and the laws would not allow for it. This did not stop the girl however. She left her town and found her way to the capitol, disguising herself as a boy, and got herself into the class of squires to be trained as a soldier. She had found she had certain abilities, a strange immunity to fire and heat. She could touch fire and never burn. On top of that, she seemed to have some ability with creating fire, and through her training, learned to control and enhance this power with fire spells.

Celeste is now a guard in the royal family's service, but no longer Celeste, as she was now known as Collin. She knew she was in a good place here, advancing and making her way up toward her goal, being only nineteen years of age, yet a skilled swordsman and with the added bonus of her fire casting abilities. The only thing she didn't particularly care for was the prince. He seemed rather dark, even creepy at times, so she would tend to avoid him when she could.

Out in the night air, a guard with bright red eyes walked, enjoying some down time to stroll through the forest. Said forest had strange rumors about it, of people vanishing, or sightings of demonic creatures. So, most people would avoid it, but not Collin. She did not fear rumors, and she knew she could easily handle herself. She looked up at the stars twinkling through the treetops, not quite looking where she was going as she walked along. She stopped suddenly however, as she rounded a tree only to run into someone. She grunts softly at the slight impact and mutters foul words to herself as she looks up to see who she'd just run into...

A low growl was all Vallios could manage as he fell to the ground, landing on hand and knees. Celeste had caught Vallios right as he was preparing to turn and so she'd completely upset his balance. Anger manifested itself around Vallios as a dark purple, nearly black aura that danced furiously around him, almost as flames would. Adrenaline was an amazing thing, for a brawler it increased their pain tolerance and pushed their muscles past the limit. The effects to that of someone magically gifted was totally different, and potentially more dangerous.

Vallios rose prepared to fight, assuming this was the start of a foolish mugging attempt. The fingers on his right hand were splayed, palm pointed to the heavens as he subconsciously summoned the necessary energy for an agonizing hex. As suddenly as the energy was called it vanished, Vallios attempting to hide any appearance of his...gifts. The absolute last thing Vallios needed was for the royal guard to have any further suspicions regarding his late night sojourns.

"Are you blind, or merely daft? It depresses me severely to think that the safety of our nation resides upon the shoulders of a man who lacks the ability to see past his own nose." Vallios hissed, lips pulled back into a snarl.

It was hard to control the urge to assault this guard. Vallios' sword was sheathed at his hip and almost hungry for blood. Years he'd practiced with the captain of the guard and the Weapons Master himself under the unblinking, ruthless eye of his father. Weakness in any form was not tolerated in the Xiloscient blooodline, Vladric Drimir Xiloscient had made certain that the lineage of warrior-kings would continue in Everend. No, discretion was certainly the better part of valor in most cases. Vallios did not need to cause himself further trouble. He would never hear the end of it if he decided to attack a guard.

Larethia, who'd been flopped on her side lazily waiting for vallios to tear himself from his cosmic musings yawned and took to her feet, luminous silver eyes locked on the clumsy guard. She could sense Vallios' frustration and did her best to soothe him, communicating through their spiritual link. "Be calm master, I will deal with his insolence in a most fitting manner." Vallios relaxed somewhat at the telepathic message, trusting Larethia's sense of mischief.

((I apollylogize for vanishing, my compy crashed D:)

Collin watches the man that had been knocked over as he stands and stretches his arm out. Was that.. some strange aura? Perhaps her eyes were simply playing tricks on her in the dim light. As he turns to face her, she freezes up for a moment, her eyes wide. It was the prince himself.. but what was he doing out here? She groans softly as he yells at her angrily, clearly upset about her running into him.

She sighs and lowers her head some. "I apologize sire.." Her voice was kept in a deeper tone as she spoke than it would normally be if she spoke naturally. All part of her disguise as she's kept it up for years now. She keeps her eyes lowered a bit as she stands still before him. "I was merely out for a walk, I did not expect anyone else to be out here. I beg your forgiveness, highness."

Collin notices the lynx, giving it a curious look. Was it the prince's pet? She'd never seen it around before. Perhaps it was usually kept somewhere and he only took it out on occasion. It was a curious thing, but some royals did enjoy having exotic animals as pets. It didn't seem particularly threatening at least as it moved calmly.

"Nothing will be said of this matter if you keep your lips sealed. Now, I expect that you'll return to your civic duties and tighten your patrols for the night."

With that Vallios departed, Larethia in step behind him. A horrible but quick wretching sound interrupted the silence. A present had been left on the Guard's right boot. Naturally Larethia had been doing the cat thing, and her digestive tract needed to be cleared of the clogging fur left behind as a result. A low chuckle slipped past Vallios' lips, it was amazing how clever Larethia was at times.

"I told you master, I had it covered." Vallios could not agree more with the telepathic sentiment. Hopefully the shock of having a wild animal cough up fur on one's boots would be enough to keep Collin's mouth shut regarding the encounter. Vallios was quite bothered that one of the guards had stumbled upon him. A new location was now needed, but it would be quite challenging to stake out new grounds with an equal view of the firmament.

Vallios returned to his chambers and settled for the night, Larethia assuming her more humanoid form to be proper 'company' for the night. After all, she needed to ensure that Vallios' mood remained unspoiled. Her plans were all hinged upon his foolish endeavors for power. If he got spooked, if he backed out of the plan he'd concocted she'd find centuries of plotting unraveled and made completely futile.

Collin sighed softly, and nods slowly. "Aye sire." She really didn't talk much to the other guards anyway, and wouldn't care to speak of a run in with the prince like this. It could make them both look bad, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. She watches as he leaves, then looks down to her boot to see a large, wet glob of fur on it. She groans softly and kicks it away before turning to make her way back to the grounds of the castle.

She does a round to check and make sure everything is well, safe and secure. Seeing nothing unusual, she heads to the guard barracks to change carefully into her sleep clothes, making sure no one notices. Under the baggy guard uniform she had a wonderfully feminine figure. She was well toned with curvy hips, a slim waist, and a bust equal to around a C cup. This she kept suppressed with tightly wrapped bandaging around her chest, making them much less noticeable under her clothes. She slips into her cot to finally get some much needed rest, tossing and turning a bit as she dreams...

Celeste runs through a dark forest, dark twisted branches reaching out for the crooked trees, shadows everywhere. She can barely see a thing as she runs from something.. perhaps someone. A figure in the distance, hidden in the shadows, another chasing her, close behind. She glances back, seeing wings as the figure flies after her. She turns this way and that, loosing her pursuer until she comes to a clearing set ablaze. A monstrous burning figure looms, twisted and demonic in appearance. She feels as if she's seen something like this before, long ago. She reaches to draw her sword, to fight, to slay this beast. She lifts the blade, only to find it melting away, useless. Something isn't right, a strange feeling. She looks around, she looks down at herself... she's naked. Why is she naked? She looks to the creature again, now joined by others, other sorts of monstrous demonic beings. The figure in the shadows stands, watching her, another beside it, winged... She looks down again, she is on fire, but she is not burning, her skin has changed color, it is darker, reddish, she feels something at her back.. no, two... appendages? A tail sweeps around her legs from behind her. This is so wrong... what is wrong with her? What are these beings, who are those figures... Suddenly, the demonic creatures rush in, attacking, she cannot move...

Celeste wakes suddenly, in a cold sweat, panting softly. That dream... that nightmare, so vivid, so twisted and frightening. What could it mean? Did it have any meaning at all... She shakes her head, trying to forget it as the images slowly fade, as dreams so often do. It was nothing, just a nightmare, without meaning. She looks up as someone enters.. the captain of the guard himself, and he looks right at her. "Collin! Get up, you're being given a special assignment today. Dress, eat, and meet me in the courtyard. Thirty minutes." With that, he walks back out.

Collin sighs and gets herself out of bed, getting dressed in her uniform, making sure her sword is strapped to her waist. That dream really was rather disturbing. She makes sure everything is in order and heads to get a bit of breakfast. Once full, she heads out to the courtyard, to the waiting captain. He motions for her to follow, and without a word leads her into the castle toward the royal chambers. Collin wonders what exactly is going on, and just what this assignment is she's being given.

"Why do you insist upon assigning me a personal guard? Every one of the 'assassins' you've hired to attack me has failed miserably. I've proven time and time again that my vigilance coupled with Larethia's feral senses are better defense than a barbarian horde seeking vengeance." There was definite resentment in Vallios' voice, He was a man of 23 and being watched and coddled like he was a 4 year old in need of apron strings to cling to.

"You are the only son of this bloodline. Should something happen to you, A thousand years of reign over this land shall grind to a halt. I refuse to allow that." The king replied, fixing Vallios with a stern gaze that allowed no counter point.

Vallios continued to stand, his right hand curled into a white-knuckled fist. The ceaseless paranoia of his father was perhaps the largest obstacle in Vallios' plans. Censers had been set all around his chamber, seals were mortared into the very walls. In an obsession to protect the heir to the throne against any attacker, mortal or otherwordly the king had also greatly hindered a majority of Vallios' possible plans. Ironically enough, Vallios was the most vulnerable in his own chambers. The defensive measures disarmed him of his most dangerous weapons, and left him with unaugmented sword play as his fall back.

Larethia let out a low murr and shot the king a hateful stare before nuzzling against Vallios' right knee, waiting and watching. She hated being confined in his chambers, the holy energy surrounding her sapped her of any otherworldly energies. Shifting alone required such willpower in that setting that the mere idea of the simplest cantrip caused her to nearly faint.

Three times the royal guard banged their spears against the stone floor of the royal audience chamber, and then the large oak double doors swung forward to reveal the Guard Captain, leading Collin forward. The king nodded his head, indicating that the ceremony was to commence.

Collin follows the captain along and into the royal chambers. She looks around at those gathered, spotting the king, and the prince, who did not look terribly happy. She bows, as the captain does, to the king in respect. As they stand again, she listens as the guard captain speaks. "My lord, you have requested me to bring you the best of our young guards, and in my opinion, Collin is the most skilled of his group. Not only can he handle a sword, and bow, but he has an affinity for fire magics and has been taught to use it quite well. It is my belief he would serve well as Vallios's new personal guard. I know he is loyal and takes direction well." The man puts a hand on Collin's shoulder. "He may be young, but I believe he is up to the task. If you find this acceptable, majesty."

Collin couldn't believe what she was hearing. Personal guard.. for the prince?! She was going to be assigned to the one person around here she wanted most to avoid? Forced to spend every waking hour following him and looking after his safety? She almost wanted to groan out her displeasure right there, but kept her composure. She watches the king curiously, almost hoping he would decline.. Perhaps all that training and vigilance, in her goal to become a knight, was going to bite her in the ass now. She stays rigid though, silent, awaiting the king's word, her gaze flicking now and then to Vallios to see if she could tell what he was thinking, or if he was watching her.

"Do you find this acceptable, Vallios?"

Vallios chuckled and then stepped forward, manifesting an exact duplicate of his heavy-bladed falchion, except wooden. The king chuckled, always impressed with the magical abilities his son possessed. There had not been a magi in the Xiloscient blood-line in three centuries, Vallios' talents were certainly an omen of his destiny. Unfortunately, his Majesty did not understand the true dark depths of his son's mysterious "gifts."

"You know very well that warriors are not show-horses Father, we cannot judge his caliber based upon looks and words alone. I demand a duel, if he proves worthy he shall be my guard, failure means he will guard my corridor and Larethia will remain my protector."

The lynx loosed an ear-splitting roar, a sound that was quite astonishing coming from her sleek body. Vallios stepped forward and drew Collin's sword, holding it level. Seconds later an exact wooden duplicate clattered to the floor. Vallios returned the sword to it's sheath and stepped back, waiting for the other "man" to grab his weapon. Vallios knew he would not manage to completely deny his Father's wishes to have him guarded. As such, it was best that Vallios gauge his defender, and ensure that only somebody Vallios could control, and possibly coerce was given the assignment.

"There is more to this one than meets the eye master. I have not yet put my finger on it, but I will do my best to find out." Vallios nodded, once again glad for his guardian's counsel. A long double-sided dagger manifested in Vallios' left hand and Vallios shifted his stance, the falchion high and the dagger low. The stance was outlandish to say the least, but it had been taught to Vallios by the Weapons Master himself, developed specifically to fit the Prince's natural stance and instincts.

Collin watches, confused at first as a wooden replica of the prince's sword appears. She listens curiously to him, resisting the urge to frown. So he wanted a duel did he? She does not move as he draws her sword to create a wooden replica of it as well, then re-sheathes the real sword. She keeps her eye on him and she bends to pick up the wooden sword and then shift into her own stance. She would give him a duel indeed, and she would not hold back. Perhaps it was a little chance to get some repayment for his harsh words the night before.

Collin watches him, waiting, studying his stance and trying to gauge his strength. He was a bit difficult to read, and his stance seemed that of a more noble duelist. She would let him make the first move so she could try to get a better idea of this style, and try to avoid or defend from there.

Vallios stood with his left shoulder facing Collin, his feet working swiftly in a step that nearly made a box. He darted forward leading high with a stab from the dagger. The momentum of the stab was crucial, a feint and a clever one at that. If Collin took the bait and deflected the stab he'd have a low rolling cross-slash from that heavy set Falchion to deal with. It was a fluid fighting stance, more designed for counter than leading. Putting Vallios on the aggressive without the use of spells certainly took some 'oomph' out of his normally terrifying style.

Hopefully Collin was intelligent enough to avoid looking Vallios in the eyes. Generally such an action was necessary to read the motives of your opposition...But even in such cramped confinements, under the watching eyes of his Father and the hooked nose of the Royal Archmage, Vallios could still maintain that cryptic, disarming gaze. To meet Vallios' topaz eyes would bring about a feeling of dire nausea, the world would spin and one's vision would swim, lost endlessly in a shifting current.

Larethia watched the duel begin, mentally poised to intervene. Communication between Vallios and Larethia had no delay, she was willing him to herd Collin around the room, to edge him gradually closer to the throne and to her. It would be impossible for her to covertly enter the fight from this distance.

Collin watched the foot movements of the prince as he began to move. At this moment she was not interested in his eyes, but his body, watching it as she tries to predict his movements. She knew she might be at a disadvantage, as he had two weapons, and she only one. The dagger was less her concern however, than that falchion of his. She takes note of the dagger's movement to stab toward her, but did not move to block it. She would avoid a dagger if she could, or otherwise take the hit from it, as it would not cause as much damage as a sword would. She does just that in this instance, moving to pull her body away from the path of the dagger, her eyes locked on that falchion as she just knew it had to come into play. She was fortunate in this thinking, as it did come at her, and her own sword lifted to block the swipe from it.

She steps with him, trying to keep herself from opening up to him, while at the same time trying to spot an opening for herself to attack in. She does not notice, or really even pay attention to where she is being herded, knowing this fight was between the prince and herself. The others were just spectators. She shifts, keeping her sword in her right hand, her right shoulder forward, while her left arm was lifted, her hand facing forward to balance her stance. However, this position also made it easy to use her own gifts.

The prince had not said no magic was to be used in the duel, and it was well known her fire magic was a part of her skills, and her fighting style. Best to show the prince what she can do. "Ignisia." She whispers softly, a ball of flame roaring to life in her left hand, only to be thrown forward. The flames would grow as they flew in the prince's direction, making the ball twice as large as what it had been. This attack was not aimed to harm him however, simply to distract him. She had a feeling he would likely move to dodge it, so as soon as the fire is cast, she lunges in with a stab of her sword, hoping to catch him at an opening while the fire had his attention.

Vallios stepped forward and greeted the oncoming flame with splayed fingers, opening his very being to the conduits of arcana. Thousands of black tendrils rose up from Vallios' fingertips, spreading and engulfing the oncoming fireball. A low grunt passed Vallios' lips as his jaw clenched, he could feel the flames burning inside his body.

Rather than advance Vallios was forced to step back and assume a more defensive position. "Eating" spells was something that Nethermancy permitted, though it required intense focus. Gradually Vallios' shadow began to stretch, it's entire form writhing as if it were a boiling puddle. One look around and Vallios realized that this would be a stalemate, both fighters were using pulled punches and exaggerated feints. This entire charade was beginning to severely bore Vallios. There were many other more pressing matters to deal with.

"I will accept this one as a guard, even if he is a little green around the gills."

Collin watches with a measure of amazement as Vallios so easily, or so it seems at least, swallows the fire spell with a counter spell of his own. She does her best to keep the surprise off of her face as she focuses, preparing to lunge in for a strike at him. She stops short however, when he suddenly announces he will take her as his guard. It seemed a bit too easy, almost as if he didn't really care now what her level of skill was. She determined though, she would show him, and therefor the king as well, how skilled she was. She would show them her determination, never relenting in her duties, and letting no harm come to the prince, whatever the cost. Simply showing off to get herself to knighthood was pointless.. it meant nothing if she did not perform in earnest with all of her ability.

Collin lowers her sword and bows slowly to the prince. "I pray I will not let you down sire, and I will always do all within my power to serve you and keep you from harm." As she straightens again, she looks to the wooden sword she held, wondering what should be done with it, if it would vanish, or if she should give it to Vallios. She does nothing for the moment though, simply awaiting any further orders or instruction.

"The oath is sworn, humble knight. Your fate is bound to that of your prince, defend his life with all that you are." Vladric's voice was deep and booming, the command of a veteran orator. Three times the royal procession of guards slammed the butts of their spears on the ground before they retreated from the chamber, taking the royal standard with them.

The wooden training weapons vanished into the void, their time in the world long past over. With a nod Vallios departed from the royal audience chamber, not looking at whether or not Collin decided to follow. Larethia kept close to Vallios' heel, looking back every now and again at Collin with those strange eyes of hers. Those deep purple eyes seemed to peer through to one's innermost secrets.

Something about this guard nagged at Larethia. Most human's minds were open to Larethia, as easy to read as your common street sign, but something kept her out of Collin's thoughts, much like her master's. Fortunately humans were terrible with secrets, the truth was bound to slip out eventually.

Collin bowed her head to the king as he spoke, making it official. She was now prince Vallios's personal guard. She watched as the procession left the chambers, then turned to follow as Vallios moved from the room as well. She wondered if she would need special sleeping arrangements to keep her close to the prince and able to leap into action, day or night. She couldn't well guard him staying in the guard barracks, and they certainly couldn't expect her to share his bed chambers. She doubted the prince himself would ever allow such a thing. She simply had no idea though, what it was like to be a personal guard. She would simply have to do her best and follow instruction.

She glances to the feline as it looks to her. She resists the urge to shiver a bit from the stare it gave her. Something about that cat definitely creeped her out. Something about it just felt wrong... unnatural. Maybe she just wasn't used to being so close to what would be otherwise a wild beast. She turns her attention from it, looking ahead to see where the prince was leading her.

Back
Top Bottom