Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Word count for rp important?

Is word count important to you?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Tensotu

Moon
What are people's thoughts on word count when it comes to RP posts? I've come across people who are satisfied with a solid paragraph, while others require multiple paragraphs constantly from their partners. Personally, I'm happy with a decient paragraph. I'm curious what others think about word count.

If it is to you, please say why.

Overall, word count has never been something I looked at in terms of responses from RP partners. However, I do expect a well-written paragraph at least. Something that gives me details and information I can work with to help move the story along. That said, one liners will irk me and kill my muse entirely since, for me, they don't give me enough to work with at all. As far as my own posts go, I write multiple paragraphs. But despite that, I don't expect my partners to match my posting length. I personally think it's a silly expectation to have. Basically, a paragraph or more is all I want, something that'll inspire me to keep the story going. And that's about it. :)

Personally, I don't -really- care about word counts. I mean, it's kinda like assuming that more content = more fun, but who's to say the content's even good? And I find quality kinda fails when you're trying to fill up that text box. I have partners that will give me a good paragraph each post, but it goes exactly like this, in the simplest language necessary:

Character does this. "Character says something." Character does something else. "Character says even more, Character asks a question." Character performs yet another action. "Character asks another question, no wait, two questions!" Character does, of course, something else again, and finishes it off with "One. More. Question."

Truthfully, there's no detail, there's no mood... Granted, some of my partners who are guilty of that are still giving me the funnest RPs I'm involved in at the moment, but I don't think it's a good habit. I mean people assume more words means more detail and by the example I've given above, it certainly doesn't. It's just like... Pressure to post more. I do the same thing. I decide how my character's going to respond, what they do, think, and say, and then write my post. When I fall short of matching my partner, I get insecure and, unable to find meaningful detail to add, just make my character say, think, and do more.

'Tis a shame.

Not really, If the scene is just back and fourth dialogue a sentence or two will do but for the rest of the story I'd like at least some level of detail and coherence. However, nothing annoys me more than a long post full of useless filler. If my partner is basically just expanding on what happened in the previous post for the sake of length, without really moving the story forward, they will likely be dropped. I'm strictly quality over quantity.

I was going to come in here with a paragraph of my opinion, but have decided that Darkangel beat me to it. Ah well, I'll third her opinion and let it stand.

Back
Top Bottom