Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones

PatricioINTP

Supporter
Supporter
I am going bonkers. I have read all books of this series, by George RR Martin, but do not have HBO. I plan on getting the series on TV when it comes out on DVD, but hearing how good it is on IMDB and the like is driving me nutso! Especially with questions like, “Will Joffrey get slapped during his [and Sansa's] wedding.” If you read far enough, you will now why.

So instead I am posting this as an open call. Any one else read all the books? Or better, watching it on HBO but have not or plan to read the books? I have already started rereading them (at least the first three) in preparation for the next book. Just having someone to talk to will soothe my nerves while I get tid-bits how the HBO series is progressing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjY6QnOPcoI

i love them. they are very likely my favorite fantasy novels, and i'm champing at the bit to finally settle down with A Dance with Dragons.

as for the show, i've only seen the pilot episode. i'm a little conflicted as to what i've heard, as some trusted friends (and myself, from what i'd seen of the first ep) have a few issues with the way certain things have been handled. but the truth is, for all of that the show is pretty wonderful. i also recognize that print and television are two entirely different mediums and sometimes require different handling. the show and the books exist as separate entities in my eyes and are both amazing in their way.

that said, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister is like, among the most inspired bits of casting in the history of television or film.

I don't have HBO, as I live in sweden, but I've found a way to acquire the episodes weekly. Ask the internet and you shall find.

Also, I love the series. So far it's not super eventful, and from the gist of it I suppose George RR Martin is more of a chock kinda author (that and politics) rather than an action one. I wouldn't know though, as Ive only seen the series thus far. And as always with HBO you get the sex and blood. I do want me some good fighting scenes, though. Suppose there's a need of build-up for that. All in all, I love the actor performances and the production value. I still waiting for that one episode that will stick to my retina. And I'm hopeful.

I've seen some of it (just like to talk to those new to it, like you Verse), and what I gather the environment is not as epic in scope as I view from the book, not counting The Wall. What I got to see of the tourney was too little and expected a far bigger set. But concerning budget, I can understand this.

I can tell you that starting out on the reading is kinda hard as there is a lot of set up, and one my concerns about the series. But two major events will happen which will start making things run quickly. And the second will come from no where. I won't spoil it for you except to say there will be a lot of death, so don't get too attached to anyone. Along with huge battle scenes here-and-there, which again might be toned down in scope. Its is more on dialogue, obscene number of characters, and plots-within-plots.

I haven't read the books and if I do read them it won't be until after the series is over. I understand that discrepancies between books and movies can be quite troublesome so I like to let whichever one I find first have it's full run- and get the complete experience of it- before going to the other (even if the other is the original). Do the books begin at the same point as the show, or do they start before? Because it seems like there is A LOT of back-story between characters and throne claiming.

At first I was a little put off by the series, since there weren't really any likeable characters (the gentleman in the clip slapping the boy aside) but it's starting to develop. And thank you so much for not spoiling! I was kind of worried when I opened the thread but still couldn't help myself.

at least from my end, i promise to never spoil. this series is just too goddamned good to not experience firsthand.

anyway, the books do indeed start at the same point in the show. in fact, progression is near identical barring the natural discrepancies aforementioned. any and all back-story is explained throughout the book.

i will say this, re: character likeability. you may think that overwhelmingly the cast are... well, kind of the worst people ever. i'm not sure how the show is handling it thus far, but believe me when i say that your opinion on many characters should change drastically. these guys are above all things human, and reveal a remarkable depth. some characters i started out loathing ended up on the soft side of my heart.

Any who give spoilers should suffer the same sort of death as [spoiler removed]! Though I am dying to share some theories we who read the books have, but don’t dare.

There should be - I think - two more books unless GRRM sees the need for another split, which was the case with the last and soon to be released one. Just hopes he lives long enough to finish them. I myself am itching for it to end because the plot is thick enough as it is.

And if they keep loyal to the material, ‘throne claiming’ will be an understatement. The next book, ‘Clash of Kings’, has an appropriate title.

One reason I do like it is all characters have faults. The dwarf will too, despite being one of the better ones. Won’t say how or when, though it might have been hinted at in the TV series when he was up at the wall. Some of the fates the characters experience I never saw coming.

So take what Laplace said and don’t get too attached or negative to anyone, which is impossible. Some deaths might tick you off, others make you cheer. Have they introduced The Mountain Gregor Clegane yet? I also wonder who they will cast for that red witch, Melisandre, who I also love to hate. Wonder how they will handle her ‘birthing’. I’ll say no more!

Back
Top Bottom