Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bluemoon Warfare

So, would you be up for it?

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

razerwing

Supernova
I have an awesome rp idea, and it will be huge (as in, forum-wide rp). I came across this idea from one of my friends, who is on another site. We all go by the classification razer, e.g. razerpaw, razerwing, etc. Well, i was thinking, "What if there was a war rp, that was actually like a war?" When I thought this, originally, the follow-up thought was "No one will go for it," but now I think I'm ready. The initial idea was to have a forum-wide warfare roleplay, unlike open rp though. Kind of like a battle for blue moon. Everyone would use 1 OC, and once that character was killed, that player could A) make a new character or B) stay 'dead' and drop out.

I personally find the idea an interesting and intriguing one, something that needs to be mulled over a bit. It's definitely unique and something that could make Blue Moon stand out as an adult RP site. And, as far as I'm concerned, something like that is always a good thing in my book. I also see it as a neat way to get the members here to possibly interact with each other a bit more if they so choose. To perhaps boost activity and that sort of thing. Plus, I also know that there are a fair few members who thoroughly enjoy plots dealing with warfare and all that it may encompass. For me, a big question I have since this would be a site-wide war (though we'd have to make sure that people didn't get into petty disputes due to being on one side vs another, etc.) is what sort of warfare would be used? Would it be fantasy, scifi, modern day? Would it be a mix of all types and genres? Some other questions that come to mind include - Who would lead the battles? Who would lead each side of the war? How would such things be chosen and determined? Just some things to think about.... So with those in mind and perhaps other questions I haven't mentioned here as well, others can add their input and we can get a better feel for what people are thinking.

EDIT: I suppose I should also mention that if this is an idea people like and enough interest is shown, like the persistent & shared worlds idea, this too can be made into its own new RP subforum.

Well, it will be modern setting. The leaders will be the ones to step up and prove themselves. To make thing more interesting though, there will only be 3 factions, and one of them I will lead. Once the rp has been started, the background story will be set. For the people reading this though, there is one thing I didn't think about. Where will admins and mods stand in this rp? As the leader of their own faction? I've thought long about this, discussed it with some other 'razers', and I have come to a conclusion. Depending on what the mod wants, he/she can choose to either make an advanced faction, the admins being the only one's in there, or they can choose a rank in the faction they want. Let's say, hypothetically, DarkAngel wanted to be in it. (heheh). Then, DarkAngel could join my faction in any rank, besides the leader of that faction. All clear now? Any more questions?

I have done things somewhat similar to this in the past. Long story short, it will not work on the scale that you are looking to have it. Something like this is best done with only a handful of players for a number of reasons. Even should the interest be there, there are too many variables that would muddy the water once you get past a dozen or so different players.

Rather than aiming for something too expansive, I recommend really considering coordinating something in the Open Roleplay section of the site. This will allow you all the freedom you want, and anyone who wishes to join will be free to, so long as they abide by whatever rules you post.

There's also the new Persistent & Shared Worlds forum which you may want to toss your two cents in on.

Thanks for the input ADF, and I understand you have more experience with this, but, with all due respect, the whole point for this is to be expansive. I believe it will work, and if enough people are mature enough, then it will fly high. As for the persistent & shared worlds, let's just say I'll definately be playing over there.

Do we have any other questions, concerns, or ideas?

I'm not sure how well it would work, to be honest. It's not really a matter of maturity, it's a matter of clutter, how are you going to determine battles? Who has what? What is too powerful? Having three factions with a player being a leader also brings up it's own issues, there could be attempts of bais, favoritism..and everyone would feel justified about this and that, while thinking it was unfair someone did this..etc.

I'm with ADF, I think you'd do far, far better with a smaller group of people or in Open Roleplay.

Here's my two cents- I agree this is an interesting concept and VSF where I used to admin tried something like this, but the issue you run into is how do you decide who is too powerful? Just going by how some of us play around in chat- there are quite a few Gods. I claim full guilt to this because it's hillarious. You will get people who are serious about their god-modding trying to enter though. Are you going to make people build character stat sheets like in DnD for faction leaders to determine winners and losers?

Might I just input that even if you do that... look, I don't mean to brag, but I'm one of those people who BROKE D&D. I made a Level 4 who took out CR 10 monsters in one blow. Any who know D&D understand this as techno-babble for stupid-powerful, but I swear she was within the rules. An admittedly extreme example but the point is and system short of being mature and compromising would seem to just go to the people who are best at math, if you base it on stat sheets. The only really fair system that doesn't rely on simply being mature is, if people can't resolve it, have a random deciding factor. Like flipping a coin. No rules, just, player a wants this outcome, b wants this, if you can't resolve... well, that's the only way short of getting complicated and opening the door for people who are best at spotting combos and loopholes to rule the battlefield. Not really what BMR RP is about, and not necessarily what would happen, but in an open forum like this it could get out of hand.

The more I've been mulling and the more I've been reading, the more I'm seeing that this wouldn't be the best of ideas. At least not in a site-wide setting. I see it potentially brewing disputes and drama. Such things are not needed. I see disputes arising not just b/c people are in different factions, but b/c people will have conflict over who leads which side, who leads which battle, who wins, etc etc. I'd love to say that everyone is mature enough to realize that it's a game and not worth getting upset over, but the reality is that despite the fact that everyone on site is an adult, issues will occur. It's just a fact of the matter.

Now, such RP-style is not my forte, not even my interest really, but I honestly do not see a fair way to deal with such things. At least not without getting ridiculously complex. And if things get too complex you'll either deter people from getting involved or you'll just outright piss people off. Both conclusions equally unappealing.

That all said, I do think this could be a fun idea for Open Roleplay. You could get a small group of your friends together to start the RP and build up whatever setting you want and see who decides to jump in and join your factions. At least then, people will know what they're getting into and it won't be nearly as complex. People will have more freedom to do what they want and I think it would result in lesser frustrations all around.

hmmm. Well, it seems the plan has died. Thank you for your ideas, your input, and your help. It seems as though in my inexperience at such things, I was blindsided into thinking such things were possible. Once again, thank you for the input.
Have a nice day.

Well, I wouldn't say it fully died. Several of us believe it would do well in Open Roleplay. So, why not just do it there? Open it up to the masses there who are interested and see what happens. :)

yes yes yes. I know, and thanks for the support. The idea would never die completly, since I'm trying it on several other sites. I'm simply surprised no one called it stupid or dumb. Now, my focus is the shared & persistent worlds. The warfare idea will be secondary. Onwards, to newwer, better ideas! Onwards, to the persistant worlds!

Edit: The titlre for this idea in the open rp sect. will be Bluemoon Warfare. Bluemoon will probably end up being a newly discovered plnet with some type of hidden treasure or artifact at the core. Let the games begin. :p

Chances are, by June 15th, it'll be somewhere near the 3rd page. At the very least, I'll keep it up, but my hopes aren't to high for this one. I must say though dark, reading through this thread, everyone who commented on it was mature. Instead of shooting me down, they landed me safely and without injury. Proof of what I was looking for. I'm starting to wonder how many others are like that, and whether or not their buried under all the others. Interesting, dontcha think? Everyday I grow fonder of this site. I truly believe you and vekskid did a good job with this.

This is possible to do, you just need a set of GMs and rules. Over on gaia I had done events similar to this. The key to success was to have it happen over a short period of time, have plenty of individuals enforcing a set of rules and keeping things interesting by progressing an over all story.

Characters would need to be approved so that they are on a similar level and that no one person has an unfair advantage.

yes, the rules and acceptd characters were my initial problems, and though they were big, I had them solved. The GM's although very poweful, might not have been very useful. I don't want to be disrespectful, but it might be true. If there is anyone still up for this, message me. I'm trying it out on different sites, each with a similar set of rules. If you want to see the progress, or want to participate, send me a PM, send me a character, and I'll tell you where to find it. Dark, Nihil, and everyone else who commented, I'd appreciate it if you wanted to join, but if not, don't sweat it. Blue skies all around, not a cloud to be found. No hard feelings in sight,

Back
Top Bottom