Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Twilight: What's the Appeal?

Fenrir

Super-Earth
I realize I might be beating a dead horse here, but I just need someone to explain this to me: what is the appeal of the Twilight series? It doesn't seem like a romance to me, which, as many claim, it's supposed to be. Edward doesn't really seem like the perfect guy, so much as an emo Tinkerbell fanboy who eats animals extremely raw. Bella is just not a very realistic character. She's... well, she's just flat-out obsessed with him. Eddy left her, and she locked herself in her room until he came back. And she completely ignored the existance of her friends and family for him. And it's just a flat-out flawed relationship. On Edward's part, he has busted her truck to prevent her from seeing another guy, threw her into a coffee table and watched her sleep. All of which would make their relationship qualify as "abusive". And then, as mentioned above, Bella has an unhealthy obsession with him. Unless the lesson of the book is to teach that even the most fucked up creatures can love, there's no real purpose to the series other than profit, and I honestly don't see why Twilight is such a big success. Please explain.

It's very romantic if you've got a particular viewpoint on romance and love. It's not very thoughtful, nor experienced, and very superficial. It's the same thing about the vampirism and lycanthropy in those books; it's not very well thought out, it's self-contradictory, and it really doesn't hold up, because it's a shallow, inexperienced take on it. That's why it appeals to so many. Others latch on to one aspect or another, but really, it's just the kind of thing that appeals to those who don't think very deeply about it. And you know the state of humanity as well as I do, so it should be no surprise it's so popular.

Mr Master said:
It's very romantic if you've got a particular viewpoint on romance and love. It's not very thoughtful, nor experienced, and very superficial. It's the same thing about the vampirism and lycanthropy in those books; it's not very well thought out, it's self-contradictory, and it really doesn't hold up, because it's a shallow, inexperienced take on it. That's why it appeals to so many. Others latch on to one aspect or another, but really, it's just the kind of thing that appeals to those who don't think very deeply about it. And you know the state of humanity as well as I do, so it should be no surprise it's so popular.

With the state humanity's in, I'm amazed we haven't jammed nukes up each other's asses. :p So yeah. It's just that thoughtless, mindless thing that girls start a cult over?

I read through this discussion for the sake of watching the Rammstein video in your signature Fenrir

And sorry for the out of character comment xD

Russian Vodka said:
I read through this discussion for the sake of watching the Rammstein video in your signature Fenrir

And sorry for the out of character comment xD

XD No worries.

The movies were terribly stupid.

The books were meh - as in something to read and that's it. Something to read. There wasn't much depth to them but it was a story to follow that wasn't totally horrible. It wasn't a great book, but I've read worse books than that.

And Robert Pattinson as a vampire? He looked dead on his feet...and the sparkling was just...was just... -aneurysm-

The most I got out of the Twilight books is "sex is bad unless you are married and willing to have babies" and "A woman's only function is to find a man, let him stalk her, abuse her, treat her like a child, and then get married and have babies."
-shrug- And thats without putting on my mega ultra standard issue feminazi glasses.
Plus the writing is absolutely terrible. Apparently, Meyer never heard of syntax or even seventh grade english. I just hope that when nuclear winter comes, those Eight million copies or whatever get burned first. Then we can work on tax law. ^^
And for the record, I do think questioning Meyerpires is only for people who want to obtain a headache and lose faith in the humans that bought the books (all 8+ million). Instead I'll settle down here with my cup of raspberry zinger tea and enjoy Bram Stoker, and Anne Rice. Cause one author created vampires, and the other perfected them. In my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom