Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Babysitter (Katinar & London)

London

Star
Josh Crane moved through the motions of the day just as he had for the last few weeks. After the death of his wife it was all he could do to make it through the day… If it wasn’t for Robby he would have just stopped all together. He was almost glad Robby was to young to understand why mommy had gone away. And then there was Amanda Clark… A real angle when he needed her. Robby’s babysitter for the last year and a half, she had been there for them both. Josh was sure she took Sasha’s death as hard as he did.

Looking at the clock, Josh sighed as he closed the book he was editing. Working for a publishing company gave him a little leeway with his schedule. Packing up his briefcase, he moved out to his car. Twenty minutes later, Josh was walking in the front door of his house, “I’m home,” he called out. Hearing Robby’s feet as he ran to him, Josh picked up the three year old, “There’s my boy. Did you have a good day with Amanda? Where you a good boy?”

Nodding, “I was good. Can I have some ice cream?”

Carrying the young boy into the living room, “Hi Amanda. How was he today?”

Despite not being related to the Cranes in any sense, Amanda Clark had still been deeply upset by Sasha Crane's death. She had been their son's babysitter for a little over a year now, had stayed at their place at least every other day, so she had grown close to the woman. After her death, it seemed like she was spending more and more time with the now single father and his son. What had started out as an occasional, couple of days a week thing had turned into a daily job. Amanda didn't mind, the eighteen year old adored little Robby and taking care of the now motherless boy.

She had been sitting in the living room with the three year old, playing with his toys while a children's show played as background noise on the TV, when the front door opened and the sound of Josh's voice filled the air. Amanda watched Robby with a smile as he stood up and ran to greet his father, moving to stand up from the floor and pick up some of the toys scattered around the room. Her attention turned to the father and son pair as they entered the living room, the smile still on her face.

"Hello Mr. Crane," she said, putting the toys in her hands down in Robby's toy chest. "He was great today. Took his nap after lunch like a good boy, and ate all of his dinner with no fuss after I promised him ice cream when you got home."

Smiling, "You have been a good boy," Josh said to his little boy. "I guess you can have some ice cream then." Looking at Amanda, "Do you have to go right away? I thought I would see if you wanted to stay for supper." Putting Robby down, "What kind of ice cream do you want?"

Smiling happily at his father, "Nilla," he said jumping up and down. "Ok..." Josh said looking up at Amanda, "You want some too?"

After fixing the ice cream, Josh set and watched his son happily eating his treat before turning to look at Amanda, "How are you doing? It's hard to believe it's been 6 months..." he said before becoming quiet. "I'm not sure what I would have done without you Amanda... Thank you."

Amanda shook her head. "I can stay for a bit. I just fed Robby since I know he goes to bed early," she said. She watched as Robby excitedly waited for his father to get him some vanilla ice cream, shaking her head at the man's offer. "I'm fine, thanks," she said. She watched as Robby happily ate his ice cream before turning her attention to Josh. "I'm doing alright. It's still a little hard being in here alone during the day without her here too. Robby seems to be dealing with it well, though he's probably just too young to understand," she said. "How about you? How're you doing?"

"Thank you for feeding him. He eats so much better for you then he does for me. I don't think he likes my cooking," Josh smiled. Running his hand through Bobby's hair as he ate his ice cream, Josh smiled as the boy tried to dodge out of the way so he could eat. "Yeah... You should try being here at night..." he started, "She thought the world of you. I think she would be happy with you being here. I think Bobby's to young to understand. In a way I envy him for that..." Looking at her, Josh shook his head, "I'm doing that's about it. I'll think of something that she would get a laugh out of then remember that I can't tell her..." Taking a deep breath, "I miss her so much."

Allison laughed lightly and shrugged. "I'm sure your cooking's not that bad," she said. She watched as the three year old ate his ice cream before Josh began to speak again, looking at him. "Yeah, it must be hard to always sleep here alone now," she said, smiling sadly. "She's in a better place now, though. And I'm sure she's watching down on us all and proud of how her husband and son are doing without her." She rested her hand on his shoulder lightly before letting it drop to her side. "Do you want me to go tuck him in to bed so you can go relax?" she asked, watching the child finishing his ice cream.

"It's just hard to be alone..." he nodded, "I know she's in a better place... but I would rather she was here with us." Reaching up, he squeezed her hand gently before letting her pull it away. "Thanks, but I need to put the monkey to bed," he said looking at her, "Will you stay a little longer... I'll be back in a few minutes."

Standing up, Josh scoped a giggling Bobby up, "Bed time monkey." Blowing a raspberry on his belly, Josh carried the boy down the hall to his bedroom.

Allison smiled reassuringly at him, watching as he stood with his son. "Sure. I'll be in the living room," she said quietly. She watched as Josh disappeared down the hall before moving to clean up the ice cream mess. When she finished, she headed to the living room and sat down on the couch, turning the TV off and engulfing the room in silence as she waited for Josh to return.

Smiling at Amanda, "Thanks. I'll be right back."

Tucking Bobby in, Josh turned on his sons nightlight before slowly moving out of the room. Bobby had always been an easy child to get to sleep... He was a pain to get to wake up though.

Walking back to the living room, "He'll be asleep in a minute. Amanda... I want to thank you again. If you need anything just let me know. Bobby and I owe you so much," he smiled as he set down next to her. "I want you to think of us as family."

Amanda lifted her head when Josh returned, remaining seated as he sat beside her. "It's no problem at all, Mr. Crane. I'm glad I can be here to help you both out." His next words brought a smile to her lips and she nodded. "I do, Mr. Crane. I consider you and Bobby family, and I would do anything for either of you in a heartbeat." Her hands rested in her lap as she sat there, watching the older man with a warm smile.

Smiling at her, "Well as family then maybe you should call me Josh. I think Mr. Crane is a little stuffy don't you..." Leaning back on the couch, Josh sighed as he looked at her, "Are you seeing anyone? I never once thought to ask you if I'm taking up all of your time. If you have a date I hope you'll tell me." In truth Josh hoped she wasn't seeing anyone. He liked having her around to much...

Smiling, Amanda nodded. "Okay, Josh, I can do that." She watched as Josh sat back, turning a little to face him. She rested her back against one of the arms of the couch, crossing her legs before her and resting her hands in his lap. "Oh, no. It's perfectly fine, I'm not seeing anyone. I had a boyfriend, but... things just didn't work out," she said with a shrug, looking down to her hands resting in her lap as her fingers absently fidgeted with the hem of her shirt.

"You should date. You're a beautiful young woman," Josh said as he watched her fidget, "What didn't work out? Did he cheat on you?" Reaching over he gently put his hand on hers, "It's ok. I know you'll find the right guy. Hell if I was younger I would ask you out..." Pulling his hand from hers, Josh thought about what he said. Amanda had become such an integral part of their life... He wondered how she would feel if he asked her out...

At his question, she simply shrugged. He had indeed cheated on her, cheated on her with her own sister. She had walked into the house one day to find her ex and sister going at it on the couch, but she hadn't wanted to tell that to Josh. She was brought out of her flashback as the hand rested on hers and her fingers fell still from their fidgeting. Amanda lifted her head when Josh spoke, smiling lightly at his comment. "Thanks, Josh. Hearing that means a lot," she said, not saying anything as Josh removed his hand. She hadn't wanted to say she had liked it. That would be wrong, wouldn't it? After all, she was much younger than he was.

What would be so wrong about them spending time together, Josh thought to himself. "I'm sure you'll find the right guy soon. With the right one you'll never have to worry about him cheating," he said smiling. He could just tell that her ex had cheated but didn't want to bring up any bad memories. "I know tomorrow is Saturday and you probably have a lot planned... But I was planning on taking Bobby to the park and was wondering if you would like to go too. I know Bobby would love to have you there... and I would really love for you to come too."

Back
Top Bottom