Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What religion are you?

What are your religious leanings?

• Muslim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bhuddist

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Christian

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Taoist

• Sikh

• Athiest

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

EnlightenedAneurysm

Super-Earth
Okay, so in chat recently I've got the impression from several people that BM is a community full of people with very strong religious leanings. I was wondering how the community would feel doing an anonymous poll on what religion, if any, they would say they were a part of.

I'm an Eclectic Pagan.

Definition:

Very simply put, Eclectic Pagans are Pagans who do not adhere to any given tradition and/or religion, but build their own religious world view out of pieces they have picked from different traditions and/or religions, adding to the mix - when they see a need - features they have developed themselves. Those Eclectics who do consider themselves as belonging to a given Pagan religion, combine features from the different traditions of that religion, often adding also features derived from elsewhere. Many "basic Pagans not belonging to any religion" are some grade of eclectics. Many of them identify themselves simply as "Pagans".

I'm an atheist, though you might say there's a dash of agnosticism in there as well. I say this because I won't rule out the possibility of a higher being existing. Did that being create us? Who knows. Maybe. Maybe not. But I refuse to rule out the idea until it's proven one way or the other. I will say, however, my leanings move toward the idea that there isn't (at least as far as a creator goes anyway). But that's merely based on a biased gut feeling as opposed to any concrete evidence.

That all said, though I may not believe in a higher being having created us at present, given my own personal experiences and based on the facts thus far presented before me, I'm perfectly fine with those who do believe in one. After all, I may very well find out that they were the right ones all along and me the wrong one. :)

Raised Catholic my whole life, although I am seriously considering about switching to Judaism.

I believe in God, but I'm not the sort of person that will wave the bible in your face and start foaming at the mouth. I understand that many parts don't make sense, and some are hypocritical. I understand that some people may think I am an idiot for choosing to believe (half of you reading this), but I stand by my choice.

*hugs Tath*
Nope. Don't think you're an idiot at all. Stand by that choice if it's the one that works for you (big believer in that). That's the beauty of things... we all have different beliefs, etc. My biggest thing is that people don't preach at me for what I believe. So, just as I don't like people doing that to me, I don't think it's right doing it to others. :)
<333

Protestant Christian, to be more specific, Inner Missionary, though I am not a fanatic like many might believe the Inner Missionary society to be.

Also, I would say I'm like Tath, I don't see a reason to whack someone in the head with the Bible just because they don't do as it says. I use the Bible as an inspiration on how to live my life, and not how it must be liven. Also, religion isn't as bad as people think, it's only because you hear about the fanatics over and over and not the normal religious people who are actually the foundation of a religion.

For me it's not the fanaticism that drives me away from religion or not believing in a god (at least at present). I get that there are those who are that way and those who aren't. Just like there are those who have a faith and choose not to practice, etc. while others do and do so avidly and ardently. Power to them all. But I digress slightly. For me it has to do with what works for me spiritually. I just have issues in having blind faith like that. Nothing wrong with it at all and I accept that I might be wrong in the end. But, while I'm alive and at this moment, I just can't go there. It's personal and rather hard to explain. But I can say it doesn't have much to do with the fanatics or any such thing. Though, such sorts don't help the cause for those who do have and practice a faith. If that makes any sense.

Hedonism border-lining with satanism. It's not the Christian concept of heaven and hell, and is highly misconstrued. There are a lot of things about ritual that I just don't care to dabble in. It's, in a nutshell, a very indulgent religion based upon the concept of maximizing one's own pleasure. In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize this net pleasure (pleasure minus pain). I follow a few of LaVey's laws, simply because he put into words what I was looking for this entire time. Smart man, but he made Satanism far too showy for my tastes.

I'm an atheist and I love it. I guess I should say that I'm agnostic as well, but I'm not sure if that counts. If I had concrete evidence there was a higher power I do not think I would worship it. I just don't see the point in it. If there is a higher power that created this universe then our petty prayers and rituals would most likely be of the same import of the rituals of the germs on the abdomens of ants to us. Maybe. It's not like we made either of those things. But I hope you get my point.

I also think a lot, if there was a primary mover, then who created the primary mover? Was it just, ta-da, primary mover one day exists and never questions where it came from? What if the primary mover is a remnant of another primary mover's creation, then should we be worshiping that, or is that hypothetical creature too far removed from our creation?

Anyways. I have seen no justification for a primary mover. I just think everyone is really lucky.

I'm an atheist. I'm not a "militant atheist" since my big thing is tolerance. When I came out of the atheist closet I lost a lot friends and was pretty heavily bullied. The experience really strengthened me and so my main attitude toward other religions is "Have fun with that, if you want to convert me get in line."

I'm a self taught animist. I tend to have "issues" with the evangelical, whether they be religious or the evangelical non-religious evangelizing against people who evangelize. To be honest, the cruelest attempt to "convert" me came from an atheist, and I have seen too many people who either let a religion think for them or believe they are inherently superior because they do not.

But one of my most hated arguments ever is "religion is bad." Like it is the fault of a belief system that people use it for their own gain. On their own, belief systems are pretty good. Even Christianity (without some of the archaic concepts in the Bible) is supposed to be a religion of peace, love, and tolerance. Human greed made people exploit this for their own gains (via the Catholics, those 'converting' Native Americans, etc) and it has been used as a way to get what is wanted. Not just Christianity, mind you.

Of course there have been those without religious views who have done the same thing (Stalin and Hitler being pretty good examples, same thing with Pol Pot I believe) because of their own desires.

Long rant short: Belief or the lack thereof does not make something bad. Human nature will corrupt it. People suck, good day to you all I have to go pray to some trees.

The good thing about animism is that while there are cultural traditions and ways of looking at it, it's not like there's straight-up dogma. The universe is alive, everything has a spirit that's essentially equal to, albeit different from, your own; act accordingly. That's pretty much the major rule. See, that's why if I had to be "organized" in my religion, I would pick animism.

Born christian. or I should say raised christian, but I'm more agnostic then anything else. Still celebrate Christmas and Easter with family, if only out of pure tradition and well seeing them. Never really believed in it, desipte the 21 and some years of going ot church.

I'm an irreligious agnostic atheist that flirts with Theravada Buddhism. And a Secular Humanist, too, so it's like I'm almost religious, but not quite.

I should just start saying I'm a Bokononist and be done with it, but I don't think I could spell it consistently.

MasterOfWhispers said:
Born christian. or I should say raised christian, but I'm more agnostic then anything else. Still celebrate Christmas and Easter with family, if only out of pure tradition and well seeing them. Never really believed in it, desipte the 21 and some years of going ot church.

There's good things to be said about a lot of traditions. They make families, cities, and cultures into cohesive entities. Just as long a you're not forced into them, that is.

Raised Roman Catholic, but when finally given the option to come to church of my own free will, I never went back. I identify as a Deist, and believe in a god, but that he has never interfered in this world and has no interest in rewarding or punishing us.

I am agnostic. I mean, I do sort of believe in a higher power, but I believe all these books that teach us of these Higher Powers are total crap. I honestly can't follow the teachings of a book man wrote about God.

However, these are just my short sighted opinions. >.> Pretty much they mean nothing. :D

I just tell people pagan, but even then the explanation is occasionally annoying if they don't know what that entails. However, with those who do know, I'd say, Ásatrú.

I'm not a theist, but I wouldn't call myself an atheist either. I'm sort of jaded when it comes to feeling things about religion, but if I had to say I was close to anything it would be Roman Catholic because I went to a school where all the teachers came from Quebec... I know my mother is... religious... possibly a Christian... but have never inquired further.

I was born in a christian family so that'd make me a christian obviously. Although I don't restrict myself to just that one religion. I find other religions interesting as well just like I do with different culture around the world.

Ah! Religion! e___________e I'm actually a bit of a mix-it-up with Christianity, Buddhism, and even...dare-I-say...Satanism.. I'm not sure what it's called when a person just does their own studies of everything and mixes it up.. x'D So if anyone knows the word please help me~<3

On a normal basis; I follow the laws of christianity, and believe in "the father" of all things.
I don't, however, believe people go to heaven. Which is where the Buddhism comes in. Reincarnation till your life reaches the state of ascendancy. And how people must.. self-evolve their essences and stuff.
Then finally, the satanism ... I know of the arts of summoning, sigils, and all the "taboo" things like that. I never apply that knowledge to use; but I have the faith that it'll work if I try. 83;

And that's about it.. e____e" Quite the religion huh? Still though; knowing a name for something like this would be nice.. x'[ If not I'll just form my own religion. Bwahahah.

Back
Top Bottom