Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

No Time (Sippiekup/Silver)

Silvereye

Star
It was always work,work, work. It had always been. For the past two years of her life, she'd been involved with two jobs, well, the first job she'd had for a good four years,the second she got two years ago. But this was only her second year of working two of them, and her second year of being..clean. From the age of 13 all the way up to 18 Jennifer had been a party animal, going to clubs, getting drunk all the time, even showing up to class drunk, which prompted a phone call and made teachers question the way she was raised in class. The blond could remember, and wish she didn't, how, to be blunt, "fucked" up she was, often getting in angry screaming fights with her friends and parents, who'd decided that she needed to clean up.

But it wasn't till she was 18 did that happen. She'd been driving and her sister was in the car with her. A drunk driver swerved and slammed into their car hard. It broke a few of Jen's ribs and to this day there's an very slight indentation of where her ribs shattered at. But Kate took it the worst,having multiple lacerations,including on her liver, broken bones, and her tailbone broken. Jen felt so bad even though she'd been sober, and she never drank if she had to drive, she saw how horrible drinking really was and swore to clean herself up. And she did. Amazingly enough, no one thought Katelyn would recover and two years later here she was in 7th grade, playing soccer and running around like nothing ever happened.

So Jen had stopped drinking so much even though she still did, just rarely, and focused on her work. She also went to college,where she was at right now, and did her hardest to get her grades up, which they were. She was doing very well but people kept telling her to slow down and not take on so many responsibilities, that she'd burn herself out. Well, she couldn't help it. She had to. Even though she often skipped meals, and didn't sleep that well which she blamed on her frequent insomnia, and when she did sleep it was often hunched over her table while she was doing work.

Right now the blue eyed blond was in her dorm room, relaxing for the night. She figured she could rest a little, having finished her homework. But she should still study,she thought and yawned, grabbing her English book and opening it up,looking it up and down. Hm, maybe she should call one of her friends. No, she didn't want to bother them, but she did flip through her phone,reading texts she got earlier and responding to them. Jennifer leaned back and looking down, began to read.

Sydnie looked at her cell phone, reading a text she'd gotten from a friend nearly a half hour ago. She'd been too busy playing Fallout: New Vegas on the Xbox 360 with her roommate, a dyed-lavendar haired girl named Moira Finnigan. Well, Moira had been playing and she'd been watching. "Ugh! As always. Too bad, I'm coming over anyway." She said, sticking her tongue between her teeth as she replied to the aforementioned text message.

"Going where? I want to come, this game is starting to piss me off." Moira said in her Irish accent,[/color] looking away from the forty two inch flat screen for the first time in nearly two hours. She'd been roaming around a dark basement for the better part of an hour fighting Nightstalkers that phased in and out of visibility. The compass kept pointing her to dead ends, and it was starting to frustrate her.

"I'm going to my friend's house. She could use some company. She didn't say so, but since when has that mattered to me?" Sydnie pressed a button to lock her phone from nosy intruders.

"I'm in." Moira saved her game and powered off the gaming console. "Count me in." She grabbed the remote and turned off the television. She went to the door and grabbed her jacket, pulling it on over her cropped knit sweater and dark blue demin skinny jeans.

"Why are you wearing a jacket? She lives a couple of floors down." Sydnie said, lifting a curious eyebrow as she opened the door.

"How the hell was I supposed to know? Besides, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Moira shrugged and untied the belt around her waist as she walked out of the door behind her roommate.

Not even five minutes later she was leaning against the wall as Sydnie pounded on the door yelling, "Jen? You awake? It's Sydnie!"

"Ugh,I told her I was busy." She mumbled underneath her breath. Her friends were nice but they just didn't get the picture. Jennifer was a hard worker; she had to be. It was in a way compensating for all the stupid stuff she did when she was a teenager, to show that she had her life in order even though she'd only been cleaned up for the past two years. Still, those two years made one hell of a difference to her, and she was proud of how she handled herself. Her once streaked red hair was back to its blond color, and was allowed to grow to her back. The only thing she kept that were remnants of her old life were the piercings in her eyebrow, nose, and breasts, the latter of which she hadn't shown anyone of her friends, except her best friend and ex.

After a while Jennifer got bored of reading and she got up and got out her Math homework,narrowing her eyes and beginning to write. She didn't really care for Math but she was good with it all the same. She was good in all her classes, something her father took great pride in showcasing to their family friends. She wished he wouldn't; it was incredibly embarrassing and she hated being put on the spot, displayed like some sort of trophy. She knew she was worth more than that.

It had been quiet for a few moments until she heard pounding at her door. She let out a agitated sigh and got up. "Alright, alright, I'll unlock the damn thing." She said and pulled the lock off."Come on in." She shouted over her shoulder,smoothing down her pajama top and bottom since it was pretty late her, or so she estimated. She didn't know; she hadn't checked her phone nor had she looked outside.

The blond immediately sat back down on the couch and started on her work, cobalt eyes following the line of her pencil as she wrote and crossed out and rewrote,head on her hands. "If you want some food there's some pizza I got in the fridge." She said, finally looking up and waving to the two girls, smiling briefly before she lowered her eyes to the paper again."Mm..this equation's tough.." She mumbled,using her calculator on her phone to help with it.

Moira crossed her arms over her chest as Sydnie continued to pound on the door for the better part of ten minutes. "Maybe she isn't there." She shrugged and lifted her hand to examine her nails. Sydnie looked at her Irish roommate and rolled her eyes. Damn it, the text said that she was there. Busy, but there nonetheless. Sydnie continued to bang and call to her friend through the door. Eventually she stepped back as the thing opened. She motioned for Moira to come on as she began moving, so she pushed off from the wall and followed her inside the dorm room.

"There is absolutely no chance of talking you into stopping, is there?" Sydnie said as she headed straight for the aforementioned fridge. Moira stood by the door, slowly dragging her gaze over every nook and cranny of the room. The place looked barely lived in, like she was almost never there. That probably explained why Moira had never seen this girl before. She uncrossed her arms and hooked her thumbs in her pockets as she turned her gaze on the girl studying on the couch.

How a person could go from seemingly relaxed and smiling to serious and concentrated that fast was beyond her. It took her at least a half hour of listening to music that inspired a serious mood for her to be able to concentrate. Moira looked from her to Sydnie as she plopped down on the couch beside her friend. "Can't you see the girl is trying to study?" Moira rolled her eyes at Sydnie.

"That's all she ever does. Study and work." Sydnie shrugged emphatically as she took a bite of cold pizza. Moira glanced at the girl once more. She did seem to be all work and no play. "This is Jennifer, by the way. This is my roommate, Moira."

"No there isn't. I told you how important my work is. I've barely got enough time to relax tonight." Jen said softly, which was true. She had to finish her work for Math and then she had to go to her Astronomy and her English project, which would probably take her an hour to finish if she worked fast. And then she had to study for her Science class, so no chance of her getting a good night's sleep, again. She didn't really have time to do anything really.

And she never really was in her dorm. Her time was either spent at one of her jobs, in class, at the library, in her car, or at her house with her younger sister. As far as she was concerned, the dorm was just an extra place, an extra room. It was really clean compared to most other dorms and not just because the fact that she was rarely there. No Jennifer made absolutely sure to clean her room and keep everything in order because that was how the blond liked it.

"Well I've got to study and work. How else am I going to make a living for my sister and myself? My parents are usually way too busy to take Kate off for a few nights anyways. At least she's staying with a friend while I'm at college for a while." She said to herself, then yawned, rubbing her eyes. She was really tired and it showed. The most she'd gotten of sleep the last few days was about 3 hours because she had to wake up and go off to her morning job, come home and do her morning classes, then go right back to her afternoon job and finish that off with her afternoon classes.

No this had to get done. She couldn't slack off and not do any work. That wasn't what she was about anyways. At least now she was, back then, she partied a hell of a whole lot, but not anymore. That Jen was a thing of the past. She looked up when her friend introduced her to the other girl and she gave a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Moira. I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little terse, I have to get this work done. If I don't I'll fail my classes and..well.." She stopped talking. "Feel free to watch TV if you want." She finally finished off her math and went right to her Astronomy, immediately starting the work.

Sydnie rolled her eyes as Moira shook her head and put her hands up, needing no explanation. "Sydnie didn't tell me you were doing homework." Moira replied, casting a dark look in the girl's direction. "I would have talked her out of bothering you."

"All she ever does is homework. Work work, then comes home and does homework. All of her assignments are always early. Makes the rest of us look bad." Sydnie shrugged before crossing her arms under her chest.

"If only you could be so dedicated." Moira rolled her eyes at her friend, glancing at Jennifer as she worked.

"I am dedicated!" Sydnie hissed defensively. "I'm just not obsessed. I just want her to loosen up a little. All of us do."

Moira continued to stare at the strange woman. She seemed so tired and rundown, but she still continued working. She reminded her a lot of her mother, who'd died of exhaustion and other underlying causes. She'd hate to see something like that happen to one so young, but what could she do.

"You know what, I'll just text you later. Or you can always join us at the bar." Sydnie knew she wouldn't, she never did, but she always extended the invitation anyway. She stood up as she finished off the last bite of her pizza. "See you later, Jen. Remember to get some sleep." She said, truly concerned for her friend. Sydnie gripped Moira's wrist, breaking her out of her reverie as she pulled her roommate to her feet and out of the door.

"She never does." Jen said and yawned again. The blond ran a hand through her blond hair, biting her lip and writing down the answer. "God I hate this class. It's so hard." She moaned, and then looked up at the other two girls, cocking a dark pierced eyebrow up. "I can't loosen up. I loosened up for the past 5 years of my life. Two years of being changed and I"m not going back to what I was before."

Yes it was true. When her brother was killed when she was thirteen, the girl had turned to alcohol and reckless partying and bad decisions to wash her sorrows away. It took five years of that until she realized what she was doing was not just stupid, it was dangerous. Especially when her sister had been badly injured when they'd been hit by a drunken driver. She herself had been sober but it had opened her eyes. Two years later, here she was, a shell of her former self, and she was glad for it. She'd rather be boring than reckless any day.

"Okay.Bye." She said rather distractedly, rubbing her eyes again and yawning. Her eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep but she didn't care. She had just finished her Astronomy and had a project for her work that she had to do now, and then a project for her English class. "I don't go to bars anymore Sydnie, you know that.Bad things happen when I drink." She looked over at her shoulder and let out a grunt when her friend told her to get some sleep.

"No promises. I doubt I'm getting any sleep tonight. If I work now this will take me into midnight or passed it, and then I'll have about two hours before I go to work and yeah.." She yawned and drank the cup of coffee she'd made. God knows she'd need it. "Have fun at the bar you both. Tell me how it goes after will you?" The blue eyed blond said, rubbing her pierced nose and starting on her work.

Back
Top Bottom