Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Bounty Hunter's Conundrum (BlisteredBlood x Candira)

"Gee, thanks," she said, chuckling a little. As if she hadn't given him a run for his money. "It doesn't matter if you suck though," she said. "What matters is if it makes you happy. If you're having fun." She said it with a smile that was damn near sweet. But then she tilted her head and asked, "So where you from, stranger?"

Dante nodded in reply slowly at first. In truth, it had been some time since he had anything to do with fun. He had been in this business of hunting down others and bringing them in to justice that he had forgotten about what it felt like. The feel of of adrenaline pulsing through his veins, the euphoria it would bring afterward and the fact that he would smile afterward. It was almost alien to him now.

"But, as I said, it has been some time since I was out anywhere like this or even doing something like that. Guess I should take more breaks from the business." Dante said as he then lifted a hand up to his face and then lightly raked some of the hair in front of his face for a moment, pushing it upward with a small smile on his face. "As for where I'm from," Dante added when asked. "I can't really say if I even have a home. Been out on the road for about three years now and so far, I haven't settled down in anyplace in particular." He spoke in a rather surprisingly honest tone of voice before looking back at her.

"So how about yourself, eh?" He asked. "Where do you come from or are you just like me; a drifter that goes from here and there whenever you feel like it?"

"Something like that," she said with a mysterious little smirk. Of course, he already knew everything about her that those company freaks would have given. The question was how much. "Although sometimes I leave before I'm really ready. Disruptions and such." She shrugged it off and rolled her neck a little, hearing it pop. "Ahhh, that's not healthy," she muttered.

"I don't see what's wrong with being a drifter as long as you can stand being alone..."

Dante gave a little shrug at her before he spoke. "That much is understandable. Besides, last thing I'd wanna do if I was in your shoes is be hanging around anyplace for too long." He added as he rolled his shoulder afterward with his eyes still closed before glancing at her when he heard her mutter something. "You know, you're right. You oughta go more easy on yourself. Another thing you don't want to be doing is end up in a nursing home when you're in your 30's." He spoke up with an arched eyebrow. "I mean, I'd offer to help rub at those sore spots, but I'm not sure if you'd even let me put my hands on you."

Kelly shook her head. As if he knew what it was like for her. Bounty hunters chose the life of a drifter. Bounty heads, even one as free-spirited as she, did not. She sighed and rolled her shoulders a bit loosening up the tension. She looked over at him when he made the nursing home comment. "I hardly think that will be the case. But this little problem has nothing to do with the dance just now." It was a recurring problem that she would have to find a permanent fix for. Unfortunately, she wasn't about to ask him for help.

It was a shame. If they'd actually been in a real position to flirt, she might have liked them. She smirked and just said, "Why should I let some strange man touch me? I can't touch him, after all."

Dante nodded in reply as he leaned back in his seat once more. "Yeah, you're right about that. Especially if you don't know his name or even where he even resides in." He noted as he extended a finger at her as he crossed one leg over the other, resting his left leg over his right knee casually. "So, I suppose it's only right that we might as well get to know the other." Dante then spoke as he uncurled the rest of his fingers before offering his hand to her. "That being the case stranger, what say we introduce each other? I'll start." He began. "I'm Dante. Dante McPhadden."

"Kelly Luna," she said in reply, shaking his hand. Her voice was strong and confident, and she didn't show a hint of being scared. She wasn't really. More resigned than anything. She hadn't heard a person introduce themselves like that in a while. It was almost like saying, "Bond. James Bond." Chuckling a little she took her hand back and said, "Pleasure." Though she seemed sincere, there was something about that word that seemed a little mocking. On the whole, though, she had every right to needle him a little. It wasn't likely that she'd be getting out of this scrape, so she may as well enjoy the ride.

Dante simply nodded his head in reply when he heard his mark's name, this being Kelly Luna. Rather lovely name, he thought as he eventually took his hand back from hers then placed it down on the counter next to him as he then rested his chin in his other hand as he looked upon her. Her needling remark, however, wouldn't find it's mark on him though as he just simply smirked a bit before shaking his head with his eyes closed for a moment.

"Well then Ms. Luna," Dante eventually said as he then decided to continue the conversation and pretty much keep the ball in his side of the court. "Now that the two of us aren't just nameless strangers now, perhaps you might now reconsider the previously offered massage you look as though you might need around the neck area?" He then asked.

She didn't mind that her childish behavior wasn't really working. At least he had patience, which was interesting. Did he really think she would trust him to touch her? Please. Not that the idea of his hands on her was a bad one...if only he weren't here to bring her in. Sighing, she shook her head softly. "Aww, I appreciate it, but I don't know you well enough," she said taking another sip of water. "So what do you do for a living, Mr. McPhadden? Must be exciting work if you can't call any one place home."

Dante nodded in reply to Kelly's remark as he also took another sip of his water before setting the glass back down. "All well and good, Kelly." He answered understandingly as he then settled back into the seat before looking at her squarely in the eyes before he gave his answer.

"As for what kind of work I'm involved in, I suppose you probably already know that by now. Then again, you probably already knew that before I even came into this place." Dante added with a quirk of his brow and a bit of a frown etching on his face. "I'm a bounty hunter and according to who it is I work for, you're my quarry." He added as he made no further movement towards her. "But, you're also right about one thing. It is exciting, but the one thing I hate about this job is all of the politicking that goes on behind the scenes. I've thought about perhaps giving it up, but when the allure of money calls for you, then I guess you don't really have much of a choice." He added with a shrug of his shoulders.

She smirked. "Ah, so the charade ends. And just when it was starting to get fun," she said with a chuckle. "So the big bad organization sent you after me, huh? I guess they finally hired someone who's competent." She smiled and shrugged. For someone about to go down, she didn't look one little bit like she was frightened. No, all her fear was gone, at this point. "Must have some bad karma," she muttered.

"So you're in it for the money, huh? I can see that. But you are wrong about one thing. There's always a choice. It just depends on what you really want." She smiled and ordered a whisky. May as well live it up a little. "Before we really get down to business, would you mind telling me a little more about yourself? I'm curious to know."

Dante was uninitiated by Kelly's taunt, his eye closed in thought as he just sat there with a shrug of his shoulders. "A CEO's a CEO, I'm afraid to say. Once he barks, usually the whole faculty is meant to listen or else heads are going to roll." He commented with a sigh before looking upward with his arms folded across his chest.

At her next set of words, however, Dante became a little bit curious. "Choice?" He asked as he then glanced at her from the side before taking one last pull of his water, finishing it a little while later. "If only I can have that sort of choice, Kelly. I'd give it all up and then go someplace where I could never be heard from ever again." He answered as he then turned in his seat to focus on her fully now, despite there was a more thoughtful expression on his face. "I wonder what the Himalayan mountain range is like at this time of year..." He mused to himself after a moment before being asked about himself.

Dante only shook his head before he leaned back into his seat with both hands folded neatly in his lap and a shrug of his shoulders once more. "Not much to tell, really." He answered as he kept his eyes on her, even if the oddly colored green one was hidden by his hair still. "Besides, I don't really like talking about myself much. Besides, it's arrogant and it's rude."

What an odd fish he was turning out to be. Of course he had a choice. He could give it all up now if he wanted to no one would be the wiser. He could slip off into the universe and never be seen again if that's really what he wanted. The choice was there. Something was stopping him from making it. She told him so and shrugged. "But it's not my place to sit in judgment either way. Look at me," she said with a chuckle. She'd been to the Himalayan's once, but never at this time. "I'm sure you'll find out some day."

"How is it arrogant and rude if someone is asking?" she asked, tilting her head. He sure had some strange notions of manners.

Once again, Dante gave a little nod to Kelly's words as he closed his eyes in thought. "Perhaps." He said only once before falling silent into his own thoughts. Technically speaking, he did have a choice, as she put it. But, the only thing that was holding him back was that if he should fail on this particular job, then someone else would swing in and pick it up for him as well as take his own head along with the bounty's. Rather ironic, in his own mind. Not that she would know about it, anyway.

"Like I said," Dante began again as he reopened his eyes and turned his one open iris to her. "I prefer to let my actions speak for themselves instead of just talking a big game." He added with a sigh as he then turned to face her while resting an elbow on the counter.

"So. That being the case, what is it that you want to know?" He asked.

"Oh? A man of action, eh? Well that's hard to believe," she said, sarcasm dripping from her mouth. "I want to know more than your name. Perhaps how old you are, maybe the reason you're a bounty hunter? I'm curious to know how much money they offered you to come and get me." She hoped that he would answer her. After all, it was basic information. Some of it even pertained to her. She just drank more of her water until it was gone and ordered a shot of whiskey. It was going to be a long night, so she may as well enjoy it.

Once again, Dante was uninitiated by Kelly's sarcasm as it just rolled off of him rather easily. "You'd be surprised." He answered her sarcasm in a calm voice. "But then again, maybe you won't. Either way, it doesn't make much of a difference to me." He answered.

"As for how old I am, I'm currently 21. As for the reason I became a bounty hunter, I decided that I needed something to retire from later in life." Dante continued simply. "As for the reward that sits on your head Kelly," He added as he narrowed his eye at her slightly. "There's a $300,000 reward on you. $75,000 of that was already transferred to my bank account as an advance while the rest of it comes to me once I capture you, regardless of what condition you were in. Seems to me that Zio Matrix wants you for something, but for what, I wasn't told. I guess you must've done something that pissed them off."

"Well that seems like a silly reason to be in a line of work that's so dangerous. But again, not really my place to say." She shrugged and downed her shot, looking over at him. She was a bit surprised at the amount the organization was willing to shell out, then again, it was good to know that she was in such high demand. Chuckling at his last statement she realized that he had no idea what she had done, nor what she was capable of.

"I suppose you could say that. They certainly aren't happy with me, that's for sure. I take it that they didn't tell you why you're after me then?"

Dante gave a shrug at her words, not really bothered by it in the least as he watched her down her shot of liquor. The expression on her face wasn't exactly the sort of thing he'd expect to see, however. He had honestly figured that with her being sought after so many times, this woman wouldn't be the least bit surprised about it. This made him look at her with a great deal of curiosity as indicated with an arched eyebrow before he leaned in a bit.

"No. They said that details would be given to me in email communications and the like." Dante answered honestly.

She shook her head. "So you take jobs like that often? Not even knowing the facts? Seems a little foolish to me. Then again, I'm not capable of doing much to you physically. It'll hurt if I punch you, but it's not like you won't get back up again." She shrugged and sighed. "Honestly, I'm a little surprised you took the job at all. You seem smarter than that. Is there some other reason you accepted?"

Now she was truly curious. Honestly, hadn't he thought it through? Going in with such little information was inadvisable for any bounty-hunter. Not that she was a big threat...physically. But still. And since they'd known where she was...it seemed unlikely that they would need to pay someone outside of the organization for help. Then again, they rarely sent competent men to do anything of the sort.

Dante shrugged in reply before shaking his head with his eyes closed. "I do, but sometimes they give me details and sometimes they don't. It all depends on who the client is." He answered as he remained where he was while curling his hand into a fist then placed his cheek onto it. "Then again, it also depends on the job, where clearance levels differ." He added as he rolled his eyes in thought.

"But that sort of brings up the question I asked you previously." Dante concluded as he aimed his eyes at her, narrowing them slightly.

"Oh? What question was that now?" she asked, tilting her head to the side. In all honesty, she'd already forgotten. He'd asked her a few questions, but she thought she'd answered them all. Then again, knowing her, she'd probably left him wanting of certain information. Well, he could ask again. It's not like it would hurt.

She held up a finger, stood and leaned back like a champion limbo-er. With that, a series of small pops were heard as she twisted and popped her back, standing up again. "Ahhh, much better. Sorry about that. It's probably why I haven't been sleeping too well," she said with a chuckle. "But you were saying?" She took her seat once more, tossing some dark curls over her shoulder, watching Dante with interest.

"The question of why I was sent out here to catch you and bring you in to the execs of Zio Matrix." Dante answered simply as he arched a brow at her as he watched her stretch out in her seat then look back at him all while he leaned back in his seat with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Besides, why get the information from them when I can ask you the question directly. Why bother getting the cow when you can get the milk for free, huh?" He asked with a shrug of his shoulders. "So tell me. What was it that's got the CEO of a well known company so pissed off that he had to send out one of his own representatives to see me at a diner three days ago?" He asked again.

"Wait, am I the cow or the milk in this metaphor?" she asked, furrowing her brow. Either way, it wasn't a very flattering statement. Though that's probably what she was in his eyes--nothing but a cash cow. Or at least the means to an end. "And isn't it supposed to be 'why pay for the milk when you can get the cow for free'?" Again, she shrugged and looked at him with a little smirk.

"Oh, why spoil the fun of not knowing? After all, you're supposed to be getting emails and the like. Why waste the time of your very wealthy employers? I really am curious to know what they'll tell you. Suffice it to say that I made the higher ups very unhappy more than enough to warrant them wanting me erased from existence. I rather like existing. It'd be a shame if I had to stop."

Despite her life being incomplete, she at least wanted the chance to go on living it. Wasn't that fair? Didn't she deserve a chance to live. "I'm not sure what they said they wanted me for, but you can bet that whatever punishment awaits me is going to be enough to at least make me wish I were dead." Sighing, she looked into his eyes, searching for something. "In all honesty, do you consider yourself to have honor? Integrity?" It wasn't an attempt to jostle him. It was a rather sincere, deep question. The kind she hoped he wouldn't lie about. He didn't seem like a liar though.

"However you look at it Ms. Luna," Dante answered as he crossed his arms in front of his chest and arched an eyebrow at her. "Someone neglected to mention what it is you did. To be honest, I'd much rather hear it from your lips." He added, his tone not buying into her witty humor. "So far, no one's told me anything as of yet. Like I said, it's been three days since that meeting in that diner across town and still, not one message has come from them. At all. Don't you find it rather odd that they're so tight lipped about it even when I asked them to kindly send me the information I requested other than a picture and a personal profile on you?" He added, narrowing his only open iris at her.

"Hmph." Dante added at her next statement but didn't look away from her this time. "I'd say that deserves some explanation."

Now when it came to be asked about honor and integrity, Dante narrowed his eyes at her once more before arching an eyebrow at her again before he turned his head to the side with both eyes closed as he thought about this. To be honest, the only honor he had left had been long since tossed out the window due to the number of times that he had been stabbed in the back by people he had thought were supposed to be potential allies or even close personal friends of his. Dante really couldn't think of an answer to reply with other than a simple shake of his head before letting out a simple scoff then looked at her. But perhaps the one thing he could say was this.

"That depends on your definition of honor. I used to be one of the most honorable people when I first got started in this business three years ago. Then when I saw that people were starting to turn their backs on me, you might say that any shred of that is long gone. Even now, I wouldn't care one way or the other if the bounty was this amount alive or this amount dead. It's worth enough to me either way. Come to think of it, the only reason as to why I haven't put a bullet through your head as of yet is that ever since I'm now here sitting and talking with you, I see no point. But then again, you could be more dangerous than anyone thought, so I don't know what I feel about that." Dante explained. "As for integrity, I'd like to feel that I still have some of that, considering all of the bullshit I have to listen to on a daily basis. I already told you that at a moment's notice when it gets to be too much, I'd give it all up at the drop of a hat and walk away from it all then go somewhere where I'd never be heard from again. I don't mind being one of the top ranked bounty hunters in the world, but lately, it's getting to be rather annoying when the all of the same clients start asking you for favors or even want you to work for them exclusively."

"Here, have a look at this." Dante continued as he reached into his jacket and took a rather expensive looking smartphone out of his pocket then fiddled with it for a moment, bringing up three messages from three different clients, each of them mentioning something about a contract to work for them outright to which he showed her. "Zio Matrix, Emeraude and Mirage. These three conglomerates are all wanting to throw big money contracts at me to stay with them, all of which I look at them and throw them into the trash. But instead, they increase the dollar amounts substantially to the point where they even wanted to throw in percentages of stock." He added before taking it back and replacing it into his jacket once more.

"That enough to answer your question?" He asked.

Her eyes widened a bit in surprise at his admission that he'd really rather hear it from her. She smiled softly and ordered another shot, still listening. "You know, it's mostly just to protect themselves. And to stop me from making them look like idiots." She chuckled and saw that he really did seem uneasy about it. His inquiries put him a step above the slack-jawed idiots who'd been after her in the past. Despite his callous attitude toward her being dead or alive for this particular bounty, he wanted to know why. On some level, he cared about what was happening--what he was a part of.

It almost made her feel bad for holding back. either way he would be turning her in. Of that, she was quite sure. His honesty in his answer was a bit surprising. But it was mostly because he'd told her more about himself than she'd really asked. Perhaps she could give him a few straight answers. "For someone so young to be quite so jaded is a little unusual. Then again, I'm one to talk," she said with a little laugh. "It's still kind of a shame, you know?" She passed the shot she got down to him and nodded.

"Integrity is important. And color me impressed at your client list. But it's kind of a moot point without some kind of honor. And there are different kinds," she decided, sitting back. "The reason I ask is that, I see no reason for the both of us to be put through a loop here. It's painfully obvious that if I ran now, you'd find me without me getting too far, and probably shoot me if I resisted. Am I right?" She ordered another shot, downing it without even blinking.

"So here's a proposition for you. I'll go nice and peaceful like, providing you treat me like a fellow human being. I promise not to run away or make things difficult for you in exchange for some courtesies. A decent room on the way up, a few changes of clothes for the trip, and a guarantee that I won't be harmed until I get there. Do that and I promise I'll be sweet as a kitten. If you break the deal, we'll have a problem though. I'm a little more crafty than I look." She smiled and shrugged.

"I might even answer a few of your questions if you're so inclined. Now I realize you have no reason to trust me or even to follow through with this particular deal, but as I see it, I could make it particularly difficult for you to do anything on this planet and all the rest in the system. I have a good deal of influence myself. And a lot of people who owe me favors. In fact, I could make just getting out of this bar a difficult task for you. I'm offering a simple plan. And if you're wondering what's in it for me...well... you can only run so far before you just get tired of it. I'll have to face them at some point. May as well be when I'm still young and hot." She winked and leaned back.

"What do you say, Dante?"

Back
Top Bottom