Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Winter Time in Washington (Tartarus x LadyCanary)

Tartarus

Planetoid
Derek waited outside the school entrance. It was mid December and as usual Veronica was late to walk home. Derek shook his head and shivered as a tingle went down his spine. He was wearing black Jordans black baggy jeans, his basketball jersey over a grey hoodie and his favourite baseball cap, the layers of clothing didn't help as the wind bit at his face. All the other students were meeting up an laughing as they engaged in their usual after-school banter. 'Yo wassup D!' Derek turned to see his cousin Ryan walking down the steps with his arms held open, 'I'll see y'all at the game tonight ya heard!' the two bumped fists as Derek spoke, 'Yeah, i'll see you tonight cuz!' Derek hated speaking slang, but he had to keep up appearances around his street-wise cousin. Derek smiled as he saw his cousin hop into a pickup and drive off, he looked down at his watch and his heart skipped a beat. Veronica's late again he though to himself as he looked around for his childhood friend, and as usual he wondered why he skipped a beat everytime he feared Veronica was late or forgot about him.

Veronica slammed her metal locker with a loud clang only to realize she forgot her chemistry book. "Dammit." Her wrist spun the knob of her combination lock with the practiced ease that came from having the same locker for almost four years. She shoved the book into her beat up purple messenger bag, the only thing keeping it from completely falling apart were ribbons of silver duct tape. Her Keds slapped loudly against the tiles as she hurried to the front of the school.
"Oh god!" The chilled air blew right through her wool pea coat and sweatpants. She spotted Derek and sprinted for him. "Have you been standing out here the whole time? Sorry I had to put on my sweatpants." Just like the messenger bag her pants were ratty but clean. She had walked home in them every winter since she started high school, the extra layer of clothing really did help even if they looked gross. "Come on, let's get the hell out of this place." Veronica griped her friend by the elbow and gave him a tug so they could get moving. "So how was your day, Derek? Anything exciting? Mine was B-O-R-I-N-G" The teen often chatted loudly when it was cold, it kept her teeth from clattering.

Derek was tugged at the elbow which stopped his day-dreaming, he looked to see Veronica smiling and chatting on about being late. He smiled back and started walking with Veronica. "But V! You love school remember." he nudged her as they walked and smiled at her. 'Well detention at lunch time was pretty fun, of course I did nothing to end up in Mr. Williams' office for a whole hour! And coach has put me on the bench for the basketball game tonight" Derek's tone lowered as he looked down in dissapointment, he shrugged off his bad vibe as he knew Veronica would get worried about him, "But i'll live, besides I wouldn't wanna show up the rest of my team by scroing too many points tonight!" Derek's cheesy comments were a common thing during his and Veronicas walks home, but they were better than complete silence. A few seconds of silence followed soon after.
"You are coming to the game tonight aren't you V? Or are you gon' be too busy flirting with tht guy in your math class?" The pair carried on down the road and through the bitter winter wind.

"You got benched! That's stupid, D, totally unfair." Before the brunette could get too worked up Derek made one of his cheesy comments. "Oh right, you should be in the NBA Mr. slamdunk." She laughed, it was always so easy to laugh with her best friend.
"You bet I'm going to the game, wait, guy in my math class? Oh Shawn! No way, that guy totally has a girlfriend going to the Prep school. Stupid jerk was leading me on. I would have never flirted with him if I knew it was a lost cause." Veronica fumed a bit, she was one to get overly worked up but never actually do much other than rant.

Derek laughed at Veronica's attempt to use slang in front of him and at her sarcastic comments, he pulled her closer at the joke and the two smiled. "Man he's got a prep school bitch? What a chump!" Derek could see Veronica was unhappy at the reminder of her former crush being with someone else. He then stopped her, put his hands on her shoulders and looked into her green eyes, "You know what, to cheer you up, I'm gonna let you wear my lucky hat!" Derek removed his black cap and placed it not Veronicas head messing up her brunette hair, he smiled and the resumed walking with her down the road. "You should be honoured that you get to wear Mr. Derek Grants lucky hat! I got my first kiss with that hat, who knows what you'll get off it!" Derek had a different sense of humour than Veronica and hopefully this time he wasn't ebing too crude.

"Lucky hat? Have you ever washed this thing? Smells like rotten pizza and Axe" Veronica laughed punching her friend in the arm. "Who in their right mind would kiss someone wearing this stinky thing?" Despite her joking she pulled the cap closer around her ears and smiled.

"Please it's better than that old bag which smells like an old folks home!" He smiled and pulled out a carton of cigarettes from his pocket, he slid one from the box and placed it between his lips, he then ignited the lighter he kept in his back pocket. He then looked at Veronica and held out the carton to her. "Here take em, I swear this is my last one!"

"Hey, this bag and I have a history, we are going to graduate together." She held the thing against her side defensively. When she saw her friend lighting up she frowned but took the carton. "Last one, huh? This is the third carton you've hand over to me. Why even hand it over, you can just go buy more?" Veronica put them in her bag, she would have to remember to get rid of them less her father find them and chew her out again. "Whatever, how about we stop by my house and get rid of my nasty bag and head over to your house. My little brother has discovered metal and I would like to spend as little time around him as possible."

Derek took a drag of the cigarette and exhaled the smoke away from Veronica, he knew how she hated him smoking but he had tired to quit and they ended up arguing because of it. "Haha I always though your bro was more of a rap man, shame, but okay I haven't seen your parents in a while, i'm sure they've missed me!" he put his arm around her shoulder and ushered her towards he house which was another five minutes down the road. "Oh and my mom and brothers are visiting my grandma in Texas and my sisters at work, so we got my big ass TV to ourselves... your paying for the pizza though!" He took another drag and smiled at Veronica.

"Yes, giant TV!" Veronica pumped her fists in the air. "Buying pizza is a small price to pay to get to gaze upon the glorious wide screen." As they approached her house they could hear the drowned confusion of metal winding down the street. "Oh god he's started. My parents are going to be glad to see you, they'll use it as an excuse to get him to turn that trash off." Veronica fished her keys from her trashed bag and opened the front door. "Mom I'm home and Derek's with me!" She shouted over her brother's music.

Derek flicked his cigarette butt away into a storm drain and followed Veronica into her house. "Yo Mr and Mrs M, where you folks at!" He walked in and placed his bag at the floor by a radiator and rubbed his shoulders, welcoming the warmth of the house. "Is that you Derek?" Veronicas mom walked from the kitchen and hugged him. Derek and Veronica's families had been close for many years now and Derek was like family to the Millers. "It's been too long Derek!" Veronicas mother kissed Derek on the cheek and smiled at him, "Ditto Mrs M! Yo where the big pops at?" Derek said shouting out loud, a voice echoed through the house in response, "Watch your tone young man, me and your dad may be friends but that don't mean I can't give you a beating!". Derek laughed at the threat and replied, "you have to catch me first!". He then picked his bad back up and turned to Veronica, "Come on then, you better hurry up, the Raptors are playing the Celtics tonight and I don't wanna miss the game!"

Veronica placed a quick kiss on either parent's cheeks. "Sorry mom and dad but I'm escaping the noise pollution. I'll be back later. We aren't going to miss your game, you have Tivo." She laughed"
"Alright dear." Her mother said. "No fair that you get to get out of here!" Her dad shouted. "Sorry but I'm out of here." She stuck her tongue out and hurried back out into the cold. "Now let's get to your place so I can warm up." She tore off towards the house of her childhood friend, the path their ingrained in her muscle memory.

"See you later people!" Derek ran out after Veronica as the two raced down the road. He caught up to Veronica and grabbed her by the waist lifting her up into the air, "You're too slow for me V!" Derek jerked her around for a while and then put her down turning her around to face him. He locked eyes with her for a moment, how beautfiul her eyes were to him, they were an enchanting tint of green and the reflected his face back at him. Derek moved back a little and scratched the back of his head awkwardly he then smiled and walked past her, "C'mon V! I'm getting hungry!" He kicked her in the behind and ran off down the road laughing as he did.

Veronica giggled a squirmed upon her capture but as she looked up at him the atmosphere changed. The light carefree attitude from the walk was replaced with something else, something more pressing. Derek was staring at her, he did that sometimes but he was so close. The heat from his breath heated her cheeks until they felt like they were on fire. The girl could not feel the bitter cold so much anymore. As Derek stepped away so did his warmth. Veronica felt oddly exposed in front of him like he could see in to her. The odd feeling diminished as he kicked her in the butt and ran off. "Derek! Wait till I catch you! I'm going to give you the noogie of your life!" She chased him but she had swimmer legs not runner legs and was not going to catch him before they reached his house.

Derek sped up as he heard Veronica catching up to him, the two reached his house and Derek cut across his front lawn vaulting over his hedge, he then rolled as he touched the floor and touched the door. "Safe! You can't tag me now byatch!", he stuck his tongue out as he laughed in a comedic fashion, he took his keys from the side pocket of his bag and slotted them into the key hole, he turned his wrist and the locks clacked open. He opened the door and walked in, Veronica soon followed after, "Okay now I'm warm!" he took off his bag and threw it to the floor along with his jersey and hoodie, leaving only a plain white t-shirt and some dogtags which belonged to his elder brother. He then hopped onto a couch in his living room landing on his chest as he goraned with relaxation.
"Close the door, you're letting the heat out!"

"Was jumping the hedge really necessary?" Veronica asked as she jogged the rest of the way into the house. The sudden warm air took her breath away but it was welcome. Kicking the door shut she removed her pea coat to sweats leaving her in a pair of black jeans and a blue long sleeve tee. She jumped onto the couch next to Derek and gave him a playful shove. "i left my phone in my bag, give me your phone so I can get us some food."

Derek was knocked by the shove but shoved Veronica back. "Here ya go, I want a large pepperoni with fries!" He tossed her his cell phone from his pocket and then lay down and put his legs across her lap. He reached over to the side table and picked up the remote and turned on the sports channel. "Sweet the game just started! You're lucky we didn't miss it!"

"I'm pretty sure you would have been the one broken up about missing the game buddy." Veronica laughed, the comfortably familiar weight of Derek's legs across her lap made her smile. She dialed the number for the local pizza joint, not like it actually was a pizza place. It was a family run restaurant that had just about everything and delivered, though their pizza was the best in town. "Hey Jeremy," ordering there so much had the consequence of knowing all the employees, "can I get a large pepperoni with extra cheese, a side of fries, and a bowl a chicken noodle soup. Right. Okay I'm at the Derek Grant's place." When she did not even need to give a real address it became painfully clear how much they really did eat there. Veronica gave her debit card number over the phone and turned to Derek. "Dude, we order from there way to much." She set the plastic device on the boy's stomach. "It'll be here in 45, now how's that game?" Veronica settled into the couch resting her arms on her friend's knees and was suddenly aware how alone they were. How many times had they been alone in Derek's house before? Hundreds? Thousands? It was normal but now it felt awkward, like something was going to happen, between them. Derek had been Veronica's best friend for practically her whole life the thought of something physical happening between them, it should have been like her making out with her brother but it was not. Whatever, they were best friends and nothing was going to change that.

Drek smiled for a second before it turned into a neutral stare, he looked into Veronicas eyes as she placed the phone onto his chest, a single moment of awkwardness... the feeling was new to the pair they had been alone many time before and been in the same situation but something was different. "Oh the game? Raptors are down by two points... lazy ass bums!" Derek snapped out of his trance and looked back to the tv, the Raptors were playing awful tonight though they had been for a while this season. A whole 45 minutes alone with Veronica, it was a second nature to wait a while with her but why was today so different? Why did he feel obliged to wait? Was their friendship falling apart? "Yo V! I got a suprise for you." Derek moved his legs from her warm lap and ran upstairs, "You comin' or what?" he stuck his tongue out as he continued upstairs and into his room.

"Yeah, they are sucking this year." Veronica forced a smile wishing the comfort than usually came when hanging out with Derek to come back.
"A surprise?" Before she could say any more the teen was upstairs. She got off the couch, the game on the TV forgotten, and followed him upstairs. "What is it Derek? You sure made a big deal about being late for the game only to bring me up here." Her tone was teasing though it felt fake to her ears. They were alone in his bedroom... Again this was common enough, they had slept in his bed together plenty of times as kids. This place was innocent but hormones were not a problem for 5 year olds. "So what's my surprise?" Veronica smiled adjusting Derek's cap that was still snug around her scalp.

Dereks room was covered in posters of his hobbies and heroes; Micheal Jordan, The Jabbawockeez, B.I.G aswell as many other teenage idols. It was a typical teenage room, he had a double bed with black sheets and pillows, his 32" inch tv was hung on the wall opposite with his video games underneath, a blue bass gutiar was placed on his bed plugged into an amp and his clothes littered the floor. "Okay sorry for the mess, but do you remember last christmas when my mother 'lost' your present?" Derek opened up his closet and reached in, feeling around for a speciic object, "Aha! Got it" He emerged from the jungle of a closet and held in his hand a purple New Era baseball cap in his hand with the letter 'V' on the front. "It's a little early but also late so... merry unofficial christmas!" He held out the cap with cheesy grin covering his face, hoping his friend would love the gift he picke out for her last year.

Veronica stood amongst the dirty clothes without a thought, he was a teenage boy like he was going to clean his room. "Yeah I remember..." She drawled thinking how hopelessly disappointed she had been that Christmas. Derek was her best friend and she always looked forward to his gifts and not getting one had felt so wrong. When he presented her with the cap Veronica's face lit up. "Derek it's fabulous! It's even my favorite color, thanks." She put it on over the the hat she was already wearing, tilting the brim off center and striking a gangster pose, or at least one she had seen in a rap video. "So how does it look?" The teen made a peace sign with her right hand as if it were a gang sign and tried not to smile and disrupt her false badass image.

Derek's heart lit up just as Veronica's did, he walked over and took both hats off her and then placed her new one onto her head, he then looked into her eyes and stared for a while. Why was this happening? They were both 18 and both knew they would only be friends but why was he feeling for her now? Derek stopped and shook his head in disbelief. "Erm... sorry... yeah you look great" he walked over to his bed and sat down looking at the tv in front of him. He turned it on and switched to the music channels, he looked back at her and stared some more, the silence was too much to bare. Her body was slender and perfect, he face was amazing and her freckles sat gently upon her cheeks, he brunette hair had never looked so beautiful to him, once more he shook his head and lay back on his bed. "I'm sorry if this feels wrong..."

Veronica toyed with the brim of her hat trying to distract herself from the warmth creeping into her cheeks. Surely she was bright red, she hoped she just look flushed like she had not warmed up entirely. "Thank you." Her heart crawled into her throat, her stomach felt like someone was ringing it out like a dish towel. Derek complimenting her appearance should not have had this sort of reaction. Sure this had been happening for awhile now but now that they were alone it was so much more intense. "It, um, doesn't feel wrong." Veronica sat beside him on the bed, she felt to vulnerable standing in the middle of the room. "I just...I don't know... I think I like you Derek." Her green eyes were fixated on her knees, one hand rested on her lap while the other continued to toy with her new hat. Veronica felt like she was going to die. It was out there now for Derek to judge. If he wanted to be friends first than dammit she would be the best best friend ever.

Derek sat up and sighed heavily, he was frustrated, but with what? He couldn't look at Veronica directly but his eyes fell upon her legs and he grabbed her hand. "No we had this talk V, we tried being together and it didn't work I jus... I don't know what I want from you!" He stood up and elt go of her hand, he put his hands on the back of his head and could feel his heart crawling into his stomach and his head was racing. He looked back at Veronica and put his hands to his sides, "Why are we doing this? Why?! This is gonna ruin everything! We can't be together..." He turned once more and kicked his dresser knocking off petty ornaments and knick knacks.

Back
Top Bottom