Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Amnesia: the Dark Descent

Osheaga

Supernova

• During my theology class, a friend of mine told me of this
        game. He told me about this game from the makers of a pretty creepy
        PC game called Penumbra if you guys have ever play it; said it was the
        most horrifying
        game he's ever played. I thought to myself, "I need
        to check this shit out."

So I did. And he wasn't lying.
        Amnesia: the Dark Descent < trailer

Needless to say, without exaggeration, this is definitely, by far, a
        terrifying game. If you're a lover of the horror genre, really, check it out.
        Don't be an ass and torrent it; the company who created the game is
        low on cash and besides, it's only $20! I dare you to get through the
        demo without getting even a little scared.

And, if you've already played/are playing the game, what do you think of
        it? I find I can't play it at night, too spooky.

I got up to the dungeon / prison and can't continue! I think most of the game before then wasn't that deadly (with a few notable exceptions), but that place... ugh! I honestly makes you afraid to play it! Heck, I don't want to watch other people play it in the Let's Play format. Constant crawling and being a general, nerve wracking experience.

• D: ! Yeah, the flooded area is my weakness. There's a chamber
        which is entirely flooded and there's crates with limbs and things
        on them. Oh joy ... the monster is invisible! I heard it moving but
        didn't see it, I was so confused.

Then I heard the footsteps quicken and the water begin splashing.
        I was so fucking scared I almost flipped my laptop over. This game
        will be the end of me, I swear!

Dream said:

• D: ! Yeah, the flooded area is my weakness. There's a chamber
        which is entirely flooded and there's crates with limbs and things
        on them. Oh joy ... the monster is invisible! I heard it moving but
        didn't see it, I was so confused.

Then I heard the footsteps quicken and the water begin splashing.
        I was so fucking scared I almost flipped my laptop over. This game
        will be the end of me, I swear!

Oh, that is NOTHING compared to what will follow. You are crawling in a dark hallway, you hear a monster (I don't know what they are called), and you have to run away. If you lit too many torches, you are dead. If you don't have a plan where to hide, you are dead. If you just freeze up as the player, you are already dead.

And here is the crazy thing. If you die and restart, some things might be different! That monster may be gone, or respawn just behind that door which it was guarding. Open door, fail to run, dead.

And if you do run away successfully in the dark hiding, then you are so scared out of your wits that you don't know when to come back out again. You think he is gone, nope, you both see each other, your character starts going bonkers, and soon you are dead. Otherwise you are just sitting there crying while you could have kept going looooong time ago.

At least you can 'look' at that invisible monster without going kaa-kaa.

• So in a nutshell, I'm fucked? D: Oh man, I don't think I can handle it. xD
        Too much horror for me. Like, I'd like to play it right now but I'm too scared.
        D: It's dark outside and no one's home. u____u;

Okay, the trailer didn't scare me, however, that doesn't mean the game won't. I may just give it a shot. Will probably wet myself but hey, it looks fun. =P

Juno said:
Okay, the trailer didn't scare me, however, that doesn't mean the game won't. I may just give it a shot. Will probably wet myself but hey, it looks fun. =P

• It's absolutely amazing. And yes, yes you will wet yourself.
        Wetting yourself is unavoidable.

Okay, the ending. Spoiler light.

The ending itself was kinda disappointing, but the build up to it (the area just before it) is...

SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!

Edit: Here is a good LP of it. Don't watch it if you are planning on playing it. He is almost finished.

Not good examples of how scary this game can be, but it does let you see the first enemy, not counting the invisible water one. The first is just someone having fun, and the second just got lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfBsDV5VrxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9uzMnvvqUk

This trailer is supposed to be scary?
Naah.

Anyway...is this game worth playing for something more then just "scary" stuff? I mean....you know..plot, cookies, that stuff.

Nathanromml said:
This trailer is supposed to be scary?
Naah.

Anyway...is this game worth playing for something more then just "scary" stuff? I mean....you know..plot, cookies, that stuff.

The main reason to play this game is immersion. To the point you don't want to play it anymore. The plot won't make much since till you finish it and start putting everything together. There is an editor so other can make custom stories, a developer commentary, and three endings each with a passcode so you can open a secret file.

Also, if you like to attack back and hate the idea of moving slow then running to hide while the screen and movement controls get screwed, then you will HATE this game. Its basically an adventure game with puzzles mixed with a first person stealth game, with sound and graphics effects along with audio flashbacks of people dying and being tortured to add to the fear.

i still want to play it, it's always diffrent from watching the videos, than actual play it nods-

Back
Top Bottom