Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Apprentice and the Merchant's Daughter (Kolath and Candira)

Aria was troubled and worried with each passing day. The rumors were starting to cause some panic, but she did her best to quell the rumors and ease the fears of the people, acting as an optimist in the darkest of times for these refugees. She wanted so badly for her optimism to be reality, but she just didn't know.

The noble was losing hope when one of the core leaders came to her. She did her best to remain calm, but to anyone who really knew her, it would be clear that she was afraid and nervous. But she took a little bit of every medical supply she could find and spare and headed to the Fox's quarters, knocking at the door, only to be ushered inside quickly. She didn't understand what was happening, but if they were asking for her like this, the Fox was certainly in serious trouble.

And so he was, the Fox lay on his stomach on the bed that not a few days ago he had let her use, three arrows stuck in his back. His breathing was shallow and though he was struggling to stay so he was awake. As she was brought in he cursed the man that had gotten her softly. "I told you anyone but her." His voice cracked and broke as he forced those words out descending into a fit of coughing.

There were a few others there all members of the leadership and core group, all with expressions of worry on their face. It was rather crowded in all honesty, she would be lucky to be able to make it to the beside even though there was a path being opened for her. Some bloody bandages rested on the floor where they had been discarded for some fresh ones that already were staining red.

She stood perfectly still for a moment, her eyes wide open in shock. She heard him start to say something and then start coughing. This seemed to snap her into medic mode. "What's everyone standing around for? You," she said, pointing to someone in the room at random and then the bandages, "Get these out of here--clean them or bring them to someone who will do it for you. "Someone needs to get water, and for god sake send someone out to calm people down. This is a place of healing, and that's exactly what he needs to do. And he doesn't need all of you standing around like useless fools."

She gave them a look as if to say, "Men are hopeless," and then looked at the man who'd come to get her. "What happened?" she asked, heading toward the bed and setting all of her healing supplies down. She frowned when she saw she hadn't brought something she'd need. "Someone get me a small saw," she said, leaning down to check on the wounds that she was going to treat. When no one moved, she looked up. "Well? Do you want him healed or not?"

This seemed to do the trick.

The man was in shock at how quickly she had just taken charge but in a moment he smirked and came over to her. "The patrol that he was on got ambushed and to let them all get away…he…well he took the ambushers alone. It was only because one of us went back that we found him still alive." There was shame in the man's voice as he said that knowing what it meant about them and them leaving him there.

"He didn't give us a choice." His tone was pleading slightly knowing that there were still others there listening to what he was saying. The things she had asked for we brought quickly to her and one of the other women that was working with Aria brought some fresh bandages and quickly shooed everyone else out leaving just her, Aria and the Fox.

The Fox was not happy about this and tried to move so as to tell her to get someone else to do it trying to turn to her side. "Aria…." He started coughing hard blood coming out of the corners of his mouth. There was so much he wanted to say and tell her and he could feel his time slipping away as his blood flowed more and more out of his body. It hurt not being able to tell her anything that he wanted almost as much as those damn arrows in his back.

She listened as she found a candle. "I'll need this lit," she said, handing it to another man in the room. "Leave it near by." She looked up at him as he told her the ambushers had gotten to him alone. A brief look of shock and then a flash of anger took over her face, and then she just shook her head with a sad sigh. "He's lucky to be alive. Rest easy--I don't blame you--I know how stubborn he is. Oh, it's no excuse. You should carry some shame. But you did what you thought was necessary, and I can't blame you for that."

That said, she sighed and started to remove the rest of the clothes in her way. "Do me a favor and find something to do outside. You'll only be in the way here." She took the clean bandages gratefully and took a deep breath as the others emptied the room.

She sat down near the fox and started to saw at the arrows in his back, taking off the feathered tips. When he tried to speak, she sighed and put her hands on his shoulders gently. "Please, don't speak. You need to save your strength, and you're only agitating your condition. I won't let you die. I know how to handle this kind of injury so just leave it to me. You'll have time to talk to me later."

With that, she leaned down to the side of his face that she could see and tenderly wiped away the blood, kissing his cheek softly. "Please just stop."

With that, she went back to work. When that was finished, she tossed them aside and said, "This is going to hurt a great deal. Please try to be strong." She took hold of what she judged to be the shallowest arrow and pulled it out of him quickly, setting it aside quickly, and then taking the burning candle to it to cauterize the wound so he wouldn't bleed to death.

She tried to ignore the sounds he made and looked at the arrow. It was a fairly long shaft, but if these arrows were about the same size, none of them would have reached any important organs. But they would have done a great deal to fill his lungs with blood and pain him greatly. It would be quite some time before the Fox was ready for any activity outside of walking--and even that would be awhile.

"Are you still with me?" she asked, shaking a little. She'd never done this before, but she'd watched it before...her hands shook as she waited for a response. She didn't want to do much more until he was ready.

He didn't have the strength to argue with her about talking right now, he really didn't even have the strength to talk but that wouldn't have stopped him had she not. He took shallow breaths working hard to breathe normally but every breath hurt like a hot poker burning through his back.

He barely flinched as she started to break off the shafts of the arrows bring it down so there was less to get out. Finding what little strength he had he balled up some of the sheets biting down hard on them as she ripped the first arrow out. It was all he could do to stop himself from screaming in pain instead only grunting a little as the serrated head was pulled from his body. These arrows were nasty designed to do as much damage coming out as it was going in, as it was if she hadn't been ready to seal the wound it would have cost him dearly.

He let the sheet slip from his mouth to be able to respond to her question, "Aria, you know what you are," he wheezed, "doing just keep doing it. The worst that could happen is that I pass out from pain or blood loss, which honestly would be a bit of a blessing right now." Quickly taking the sheet back into his mouth he bit down again hard knowing that this was going to be a painful ordeal.

Aria took a deep breath and steadied herself and her nerves. He was right about passing out being a blessing. "Just a few more," she said softly, her voice sounding a bit more confident and a tad stronger than she felt. She put the arrow aside and then worked the next one out and continued working until all had been removed and his wounds had been sealed. She was exhausted--not only from the effort it took to pull them out, but also from the mental and emotional fatigue of actually doing the process all by herself. She made sure the arrows were cleaned before she found someone to get rid of them and then she sat down next to his bed, closing her eyes.

"I don't suppose you're still awake?" she asked, looking at him, concern in her eyes.

The truth was that he had passed out about half way through her removing the arrow but the rest of her work after she had finished that gave him enough time to come back to the waking world. He lay there on his stomach eyes still closed as he hadn't had a good enough reason to open them yet. Slowly opening his eyes he looked over to her as she asked if he was still awake. "Still…might not be the right word. However…I am awake." He looked at her tired face seeing the strain she had put herself under for him and his heart about broke. "Thank you, Aria. Now…" he coughed hard wincing. "Now, you need to rest too." All he could think about was her and making sure she was safe and well.

She smiled softly, though it was a bit forced. She was tired and worried about him beyond belief. "A woman will be coming to check on us soon to see if I need anything," she said, "but visitors are strictly limited to people with urgent business for now. You need your rest." She stood up and came to him, kneeling down beside him so he could talk to her without much discomfort. His coughing made her absolutely nervous. "I'll rest. The others were pretty clear that they didn't want anyone else to know about this till you're a bit better. Do you need anything right away?" she asked. "I have clean water I can give you to drink," she offered, looking over what little bits of his face she could see. She admired him so much...but there was more than just admiration in her eyes, if he cared to see it.

He though he was too tired to see what was in her eyes besides her admiration for him, his were still mirroring the exact same emotions even if they were covered but a lot of pain. He smiled, or what amounted to a smile before he forced his hand to gently reach up and brush her cheek. He had heard everything that she had said about the others and what their thinking was on this matter and who should know about it. It seemed they were doing it right so he didn't need to worry at all about doing it himself. He relaxed some more before answering her question. "Can you help me get more comfortable? Laying on my face has to be the most uncomfortable position I have ever been in."

She watched him as he lay there, his eyes showing her so much pain, but she thought she saw a trace of admiration and what might have been gratitude there as well. A girl could get lost in those eyes...only one other man had had eyes like those that she'd known...and instantly she felt guilty for staring so intently. She smiled as he brushed her cheek and had to admit that even if he wasn't Flynn, he was charming and kind and noble, just the way her friend had always been. As he asked her to help him she chuckled. "I'll do my best, but I don't really think you'll be comfortable for awhile." She smiled and held up a hand as if to tell him to wait. She came back in with two well-stuffed pillows from his sitting room.

"You can't lay on your back yet--the wounds are too fresh. So I'm going to try to help you onto your side, alright?"

She walked to his side and fought the urge to run a hand down his poor, tortured back. When he was ready, she helped him to lift himself up and turn before she put one pillow behind him and one in front. He was facing a wall at the moment, but they could move in a medical cot if they needed to. "How's that?" she asked, wondering if he had enough support.

As she mentioned that he wouldn't be comfortable for awhile he lifted an eyebrow and one finger as though she had just made a good point. He suppressed a chuckle at the thought knowing it would hurt more than it was worth. As she helped him onto his side he frowned a little knowing he couldn't be all the way onto his back but this was about as bad as being on his face. He shifted a little more making his back lean a bit more into the pillow behind him. Wincing with the pain it finally eased up enough to settle back and he sighed nodding. "Perfect, just needed a little more adjusting." He smirked weakly, "thank you, I would love that water now."

She nodded and went to the bucket resting on the table with clean water in it and brought a ladle as well. When she came back to his bedside, she lifted the ladle to his lips. "Here," she said, letting him drink as much as he wanted before she put the bucket back. She took a stool from near by and put a tray on it with the bucket, some bandages and gauze and a few other things.

"There, now it's all close," she said with a smile. She turned to face him again. Do you need a blanket or another pillow for your head?" She asked, tilting her head. She looked tired, but it was clear she wanted to ensure that he was as comfortable as he could be given the circumstances. All she really cared about was getting him better. She'd definitely sleep well tonight though.

He smiled shaking his head carefully making sure that he didn't move his back at all. "No Aria, thank you." He reached out taking her hand, "You need to rest too. You look like you are about to fall off you feet. If I could I would more than willingly give you my bed again but," he smirked, "I don't think my doctor will let me out of it." His eyes never left hers as he slowly thought over his next words knowing what he wanted to say but not daring to say it worried about how she would react. His hopes and fears flashed through his eyes mixing with the emotion already there as he finally worked up the strength and courage to ask. "You are welcome to share it if you want," quickly adding, "Since I don't think you can make it back to the dorms without passing out."

Aria was glad he could smile after all this. That was a good sign as far as she was concerned. She allowed herself to breathe again, though she wasn't quite sure when she'd started to hold it in. His saying that he didn't need anything just now meant that she could leave him for some much needed rest, but she wasn't in a hurry. He was going to be fairly isolated...and he was in a good deal of pain. She chuckled as he told her to rest--she didn't need to be told twice. But he held her hand there, and she wondered if he knew how it made her feel.

She felt as though her whole body was warming and his gesture showed her that he wanted her to stay. His gaze seemed to transmit that it was more of a need than a want. The lady watched the emotions play over his face curiously, wondering what they all meant. When he spoke again, she blushed and looked down. Last time he'd been a room away from her and she'd fallen asleep right away...but this time he would be in bed with her. Still, his offer was tempting on a number of levels. In the end, it was his eyes that cemented her decision.

"You're right. The dorms are pretty far off and I'm tired now," she said with a small sigh, feigning thought. "Well, if you're sure it's alright with you...I'll stay with you. I should probably be near by in case you need me again anyway." That a girl--rationalize it. Of course, her face would tell a different tale--she wanted to stay with him--it wasn't just because it was convenient. She slipped off her shoes and let her fiery hair loose before she got rid of her apron and then gently and slowly crawled into bed with him blushing softly as she looked into his eyes. It felt nice to be off her feet, but it felt better to know that he was safe and he was going to get better.

She smiled and closed her eyes, one of her hands near him. "Good night, Fox. Try to rest..."

He watched her remove the outer coverings for her clothes and then let her hair down. There was a large part of him that couldn't help but love the display, not because of the thought of her undressing for him but instead the fact she was comfortable enough to let her hair down as they say. He smiled back moving a little back from the edge to give her more room before his hand reached out and brushed her cheek lightly.

"And you Aria, rest well." He smirked chuckling softly, "After all where else am I going to find the perfect nurse."

((Sorry hitting some blocks after coming back to posting.))

((That's okay.))

Aria pulled the blankets over herself, but left them down for his comfort. Anything brushing against his back would probably be very painful at this point. She was sure the skin there was still quite sensitive from having barbed arrows pulled out and candle fire used to sear the wounds closed. Her sleepy eyes opened and her cheeks colored a bit as he reached out to her, chuckling in that mysterious way of his. It was as if he knew something she didn't, and it was both unsettling and charming.

Being so close to him was also a bit unsettling. There was something about him that appealed to her. He seemed familiar, though he was a complete stranger to her, and he seemed to like her, which only served to further pique her curiosity. He had a sense of humor, and he was still so sensitive...only one other person had really made her feel anything like the way she felt around the Fox...and he was dead now.

Her eyes closed as the painful memory came back to her and she forced herself back to the present with a little smile. "I'm sure if you pray hard enough they'll send you an angel..." And just a few seconds after that, she was asleep, her hand still resting between them, her body so near to his.

Flynn watched Aria as she fell asleep next to him his heart slowly breaking again as he knew that the mask still stood between them. He sighed and his hand came up to gently hold hers that was between them, he just dealt with the pain that came with that movement not caring just wanting to hold her hand.

Feeling the emotions washing over him, he finally just gave into them not having the mental or physical strength to resist them any longer. He felt hot tears bleed into his mask as he watched her, and not all of them were from the pain in his back. Leaving her hand for a moment his came up and brushed lightly over her cheek as he let his head lean forward pressing his forehead to hers. "They already did, and I wish beyond all hope that I will someday be able to tell her everything." He kissed her forehead softly, "Especially the feelings that I could never before express to her." He laid his head back down, his hand coming back to hers and gently holding it as he drifted into sleep letting the pain of his heart and back take him deep under the cover of blackness to heal.

Since Aria had been up since dawn and working on wounds of his that desperately needed attention, she was pretty much out cold as the man she knew as the fox bared his soul to her. She didn't hear a thing he said and what was worse, she would probably never know about how much pain she was causing him. Still, she did feel his touch--the warmth of him as he kissed her forehead and touched her cheek and held her hand. She would have loved to really be able to remember it, but to her it was all a dream.

Hours later, she woke feeling heavy and tired still. It took her a moment to regain her bearings, but she realized that it was merely twilight--not dawn--as she woke. She saw him laying there across from her, and she realized for the first time that he was holding her hand. She wondered when that had happened, but she did nothing to change the situation, merely holding on to him. He still wore the mask, and though she understood the need for it, it still annoyed her that he wore it, even in his sleep. But it wasn't her place to judge anything he did. She wondered if he was alright and saw that he seemed to be sleeping well enough. A sigh of relief escaped her and she squeezed his hand before there came a soft knock on the door.

Carefully, she let go of his hand and got out of bed, pulling the covers over him just a bit. She pulled her hair back and then slipped into her shoes and answered the door. It was one of the fox's men with food and drink. He was hoping for some news. So she took the tray from him and set it down on a table near by before telling him that his fearless leader would live if he just rested. Soon she sent the man off again and she was alone again with the man she had come to care for. Now she faced the dilemma of waking him to eat or letting him sleep.

The Fox slept deep feeling the warmth of her hand throughout the night and just revealing in that simple pleasure and warmth. Nothing disturbed him as long as her hand was in his, he was quiet sure that he could sleep through the day of judgment as long as she was there. When the warmth of both her body so close to his and her soft hand in his was taken away he had quickly begun to wake worried if something was wrong.

Needless to say her dilemma wasn't a long lived one as he soon tuned a little letting him look over to her at the table with food and drink. He went to speak wanting to say something to her; but his throat was so dry to the blood loss that he could only cough softly. His body was just too weak to do anything else and could only hope she know what he needed.

Aria took up the tray and came back to him quickly. She saw he was awake and he was coughing. Sitting on the bed, she took a cup filled with water and helped him to sit up so he could drink it. Once she was sure he could handle speaking she put her hand on his forehead. "How are you feeling? Any better?" she asked, feeling other parts of his face as well, just to be sure. He seemed fine.

"You have lost a lot of blood so it's important that you eat something okay? Eat and drink." She looked down at the food on the platter and saw two bowls of venison stew. "Would you like to try some of this?" she asked, holding a bowl and spoon in her hands. She would help him eat if he wanted to, knowing that he was probably lucky to be awake.

Gladly, almost greedily he drank the offered water the first drops down his throat feeling like pure heaven. He sighed after he could finally let the water go smiling a little at her. "W…" his voice cracked making him cough softly again. "Well I would yes, but first I wanted to say good morning, though it didn't come out right the first time." He shifted a little wincing as he settled back into a better position to eat and yet still be comfortable enough with his wounded back.

His hands were unsteady as he reached out for the spoon and bowl. Fortunately for them both he took the spoon first and found that his fingers didn't have the needed dexterity and strength to hold it. He sighed wincing again as he leaned back his eyes closed, "Glad I didn't try for the soup first." He couldn't stop a soft chuckle though he wished he had as it sent a shot of pain rushing down his spine ending all attempts to eat on his own as he had planned.

She smiled, doing her best to not let him feel somehow lesser because he couldn't handle it, chuckling at his joke. "That's okay," she said. "You've done quite enough already. Let me help you," she said, sitting close to him. She picked up the spoon and the bowl and then carefully fed him the hearty stew. She stopped now and then to give him more water and to eat a little of her own, but her attention was mostly on him until he was finished eating. "There you are. That wasn't so bad, was it?" she asked with a smile. She set his bowl aside and took some water for herself before she picked up her own stew and started in.

He just smiled at her taking the offered help with only a slight look of shame wishing deeply that he didn't need help. At the same time he knew that it was foolish considering how close he had come to death but that didn't really matter right now. He wanted her to not think him weak, also knowing what she would think of him for even thinking this way. He couldn't help a grin as he looked at her when she started into her own food. His heart skipped a beat as he saw once again how breathtakingly beautiful she was even in her current state, and knew right then that this was going to be a long few days of his recovery.

It was nearly four days later that he finally was strong enough to go outside and enjoy the clean air. They had spent nearly all that time together even the nights her either curling up in his bed or on a cot that had finally been brought into the room for her. If Flynn was completely honest his heart had sunk a little when the cot was brought in since it meant she had another choice then his bed. Which of course was silly since after the first day or two there had been no need for her to stay with him constantly, she could have gone back to her dorm. However he had asked her to stay and she had.

Those days were some of the best he could remember for the longest time, he was feeling truly and deeply happy again after so many years of being alone. He leaned forward on the railing already feeling what little strength he had regained ebbing out slowly. Turning to smile at her he nodded toward the door, "I think I had best go back inside." He had done what was needed, his people needed to know that he was alive and well enough to walk, and by coming out he had set those fears to rest.

He made his own way back inside and slipped gently down onto the couch leaning back the padding of his shirt helping keep his back from hurting too much. Over the last few days the two of them had grown much closer, after first him tending for her when she was sick and then her tending for him as he lay close to death, there was a connection there and no one could deny.

In one of his stronger moments a few days ago he had been so bold as to kiss her lips softly. It had just been too perfect to pass up they had been so close together and she just looked so beautiful. He had leaned in kissing her softly and then realized what he was doing and pulled back. She hadn't let him go too far soon pulling him back into another kiss that was deeper and held more in it then his. Unfortunately that had stopped everything when one of his wounds had reopened right then and he almost screamed in pain.

Since then his back had healed more and he planned to see where that kiss might have gone had it continued. He held his hand out to her from the couch wanting to bring her down next to him and just be with her letting the moments come that normally would when two people cared for each other as they did.

Aria had helped him over the past few days, staying as he asked her to. Nobody should have to be alone when they were in such a delicate state. Once he was better--stronger--he started to walk around more and finally went outside. She supposed that now that he had healed well enough, she should be heading back to the dorms at night. But he seemed happy when he was around her--happier than he'd been before. She couldn't put her finger on why that might be.

Still, she couldn't deny that they'd grown closer. And his company made her happy as well, though she was pretty much always worried about his comfort and whether or not his back was healing fast enough. As the two of them went back into his quarters, she remembered the last time she'd been alone with him inside. They'd been close...and then he'd leaned in to kiss her. He stopped himself, but she'd needed to feel more, so she pulled him back to her, her heart beating so fast.

And then his wound reopened. If that wasn't a sign, she wasn't sure what was. Still, she wanted to be around him, and she couldn't help but wonder what could have been. For now though, she was just being supportive.

"I'm so glad you're doing better, Fox." She was just about to leave as he held his hand out to her. Smiling, she took it and let him pull her down to him. She sat next to him, still holding his hand, remembering how he'd held it when she'd first stayed with him. "It's good to see you walking around again, but don't get too far ahead of yourself. I'd hate to see you get hurt again."

Back
Top Bottom