Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Apprentice and the Merchant's Daughter (Kolath and Candira)

The Fox came back early morning and set about rousing his people getting them ready for the march and making something that they could eat on the trail. After about another half an hour they roused all the girls to get them up and let them stretch out their legs before the walk today. it was going to be a long day of hiking through rough terrain but they had no choice, the other option was a route to often watched by the royals.

About an hour after dawn they set out food having been given to the girls along with water so they were strong enough to keep up. Each girl had a man assigned to her to help keep her stable as they walked making sure that none of them were hurt on the rough terrain. Of course Aria was assigned the Fox, as they started walking he was always a just a little too close to her for normal propriety. However his strong arms were always there if she started to slip and fall.

It was clear that Aria did not like that he was so close to her, nor did she appreciate the fact that since her earlier shows of defiance and her talk of Flynn, the Fox had not left her alone. It seemed as though he did not wish her harm, but the way he mocked her was a little less than pleasing. Still, the women of the group were mostly fragile and not used to long treks, so she had to keep on a brave face and do her best to not lash out.

Her father had taken her on trade routes before, telling her that she should never forget that a merchant has money and power because of work--whether it is done by the merchant himself or not. She had learned that lesson well. By the looks of it, however, others had not. Sighing, she continued to walk along with her assigned partner, feeling both gratitude and disdain all at once.

"I don't mean to be ungrateful," she said after nearly tripping because of his closeness, "but would you mind keeping to yourself a bit more? It's hard enough to walk on this terrain in a dress and without proper footwear as it is without you lurking so close I can smell your breath." She had a fiery tongue, but he was pushing her patience. He had no reason to walk so close to her. It was inappropriate, besides the fact that it practically inspired clumsiness. Not to mention the fact that she did not like him. Cheeky little thing. Not to mention smarmy and self-righteous.

He could feel her unease with his closeness, he might have been considered inappropriate in polite society however out here in the woods you did what you had too to not be hurt. “I do mind actually, and I think from your tone you do mean to be ungrateful. If it helps I’m not doing this for you, I’m doing this so that we aren’t slowed down by a clumsy mistake.” He smirked and gently let her arm go before stepping back. “However if you prefer, I will leave you be.” What she didn’t know is that they were coming up on the must slippery and treacherous terrain yet with many wet moss covered roots and rocks to slip on.

Instantly she felt a stinging reproach for her words, and she wished that she hadn't been so harsh. Then again, every once in awhile, the people she was harsh with actually deserved it. Why was she taking it so personally? It wasn't as if she actually enjoyed his company, nor did she think that it was necessary for him to be quite so close. With an impatient little growl, she stopped walking as he let go of her and turned to look at him. "If you're going to be that close, wait for a moment." And with that, she lifted her skirts to about her knees, drawing gasps from the other ladies in attendance as she fastened them in place.

"There. That should help. Now if you must be quite so close at least it won't be quite so difficult for me to move." With that haughty little comment, she gestured for him to lead the way, still a little grumpy. She had been quite tempted to tell him to leave her alone, but he knew far more about the terrain than she, and if there was anything her father had taught her about travel, it was to trust your guide...and try not to make them angry.

She had failed in one of those marks. Despite him knowing who she was she still seemed to have made him angry with her. his help was now only there when she needed it most almost letting her fall a few times before catching her at the last second as they moved through the forest. He couldn’t understand how she had become so different from the girl he had once known. His mind warned his heart to not think that she was the same and to guard it’s feelings for her well. His heart was having none of it, it could only feel joy at having her close to him again and that she was well.

They continued through the forest, finally coming out into a large clearing. The clearing had been remade, on all sides trees towered over them keeping ground cover to a minimum, but high in the boughs of the trees was nestled many walkways and platforms. Hidden out here in the forest a community had grown and thrived. A town set above the hungry predators and sounds of night. Set high enough that even should the king find them here his army would be hard pressed to attack this small town.

He stepped up beside her nodding out to the village, “Welcome to Haven.” He smiled as he said the name that what had started as a small outpost had been given by the people that had come here seeking just that, a Haven.

After a long, slippery, steep trek, with much less aid from her partner, they arrived at their destination. Though she supposed she had deserved her treatment--he'd nearly let her fall a few times--it still didn't make her the happy bearer of his emotions. Just because he had the position of power didn't give him a right to take such licenses with a lady. And really, she was sure he was mad more because she'd pointed out the folly in the first place than the fact that she had asked him to back off a little. She must have hurt his pride a bit.

She was awed by the small city in the trees. "Haven..." she repeated. But a haven for what and for whom? Curiosity overpowering her grumpiness at having been kidnapped and needled for most of the trip, she let her true nature take over--that of a woman who was both kind and curious about the world around her. Observant as well. She looked at everything she could see. "So this is where you were taking us...but what use can we be here?" she asked, in earnest, rather than in a demanding tone. Certainly a switch had been flipped. It was as though she were no longer truly afraid of what was going to happen to her.

In that moment, the girl he used to know returned, and Lady Aria was merely a mask that had hidden her. She would probably never look as kindly on him as she used to, but then again, she had no idea that he was Flynn. If she had, there was no doubt that he would be received with warmth and kindness that he was probably unaccustomed to at this point. The redhead looked around her and wondered just what these people were trying to accomplish by keeping her and the other ladies here...

Aria turned her attention fully to the Fox. "I'm sorry, by the way. It was rude of me to treat you that way when you were only trying to help. I was frustrated, but it's no real excuse." Of course, she hadn't really cared much for his attitude from the beginning, but she could have at least been kind herself. "What is this place?"

He was a little shocked by her sudden change in attitude. His mind was so stunned that his heart won the battle and she instantly became the girl he had once known again. He smiled and taking her hand started to lead her down one of the few safe paths on the steep hill that surrounded the clearing. “This is a place for any that need a place to hide from the world can come. We don’t judge you on your actions before you came to this place, only on those that you do once you are here. it is a place that those which have been cast in a light by polite society can come and have a fresh start.”

There was a particularly steep part which he quickly slipped down and turned holding his hands out to her taking her waist in his strong hands. He gently lifted her up and lowered her down so she didn’t have to worry about her skirts. He lowered her slowly down his body, a gentle pressure between them letting them both feel the total length of each other. It was no different than when a knight helped a lady down of a horse.

She blinked as he took her hand with a smile and led her down the path. It was safe, but it was still a bit difficult to navigate in her current attire. She was glad she'd moved her skirts up a bit--her knees showing a bit--but they fell once in awhile in a rather inconvenient way. She watched him slip down a certain part, stopping, and looking after him worriedly until he appeared to be fine. Just as she breathed a sigh of relief, she was taken up and then moved down to his level, her skirts falling back around her ankles as she looked up at him, her body, slowly sliding down his.

Aria blushed and murmured a thank you, taking a small step away. She picked up her skirts in her hands and told him to lead the way as she fastened them up again, her pale, but strong and shapely legs revealed yet again. "Haven sounds like an interesting place." she said, breaking the silence. Still blushing she continued. "I bet there are a lot of people waiting for your return..."

He helped her the rest of the way down into the valley. Already they were under the outer most eves of the platforms and bridges, the outer ones clearly made for defense not for living. He shrugged a little and smiled at her. “I suppose but even I’m not any more valuable to the group than any other member.” He looked down at her skirts and smiled leaning over, “You might want to put your skirts back down now that we are on level ground. We do give people second chances but we also try not to tempt them.” She had always been so uncaring about the fact that men looked at her, when she was doing something important it didn’t matter she was a woman, all that mattered was that it got done.

She laughed as she realized that this probably wasn't the best of places to be holding her skirts up, but it couldn't be helped, unless he wanted to carry her, and she didn't much want to be carried by him. Much less to be treated as a burden. "That's fair. But if I put them down now they'll just get in the way and I'll trip again. I'll fix it once we're closer." With that, she continued along the path with him, letting him continue to help her and stay close when he needed to. Despite her obliviousness to the way other men looked at her, she was keenly aware of each time the mysterious bandit stole glances. Something about him was different.

Or it just might have been that he was the closest one to her and she could notice it the most. Finally, they reached ground that seemed safe enough and she let down her skirts so that they covered her legs. She smoothed them out a bit and used the long ribbon to tie back her hair "There, that should do it."

He led her over to a large platform set on the forest ground. All the other women were already there, and when they stepped onto it the platform began to raise up to a point where it was level with the rest of the platforms and was drawn over to one of them. the ladies were all led off of the platform but She was kept back. “You asked me a question my lady.” The Fox asked. “You wanted to know why you were brought here and how you could help.” He took her arm and gently led her across several bridges and platforms to a large one spanning the gap between two trees. “You and the others were brought here to ransom, we have need of medicines. While you are waiting to be ransomed we could use your help.” He pushed back the flap of the building on the platform and motioned her in.

It was the infirmary a couple people had been wounded in fights with the kings guards, but most of them were healing well and needed no attention. It was the rest of the building that made your heart almost stop. The Building was almost full of people that had undergone some form of tortuous punishment for some crime or other. Hands cut off, eyes gouged out, ears cut off, tongues slit, and many more. All clearly in bad health.

Aria frowned as she was held back, a little confused, but she let the Fox lead her to the building in question. She listened carefully as she took in her surroundings and when she finally came into the building gasping as she saw the conditions of those harshly punished. "Oh no..." She frowned and put a hand over her heart. "I knew we were being held back on repealing the law that allowed this...but for this many people to have gone through so much....first being punished and then having to work so hard to find this place..." She lowered her head in shame.

"So there was nothing I could do after all..." She looked over at the man who'd brought her to this place and looked into his eyes. "What grows in this area? I know how to make a few simple medicines that might be able to help. I can teach the other ladies how to do the same...I'm not sure how much it will really aid these people, but I'll do my best while I'm here." There was no excuse for her to abandon these people when they needed her most, and it would be good for the other women of the court to witness this. Perhaps it would strengthen their resolve to stop this from happening in the future.

An idea struck her and she looked around for a moment as though it was urgent that she find someone...but alas, she wouldn't know him if she saw him. She stopped and looked down, murmuring one name. "Flynn..."

He saw the caring and concern from the girl that he once had known and smiled slightly, for the first time the smile reaching his eyes. “I will have one of our men show you around and help you gather the herbs you need.” He gently slipped his arm around her shoulder to turn her out of the building keeping it there just a little longer then he should have. “Its not that you couldn’t do anything my lady, it is just that there is so much to be done.” he motioned along the walk way expecting her to follow him as he started to walk.

“The true problem is that trying to treat a symptom of the problem only solves the symptom for a short time. The only way to really stop it is to do away with the system that allows such things.” He led her to a large bench and sat down motioning to the spot next to him. “That’s what I, and the others here are trying to do.”

Her mind on other things, she hadn't noticed his lingering hand until the moment passed. Her mind fixated on several different medicines she could make with the proper herbs to help the people back in the building as they began to walk. Aria let him guide her, walking with him, listening to his every word he said once he started to speak, appreciating the consolation he offered her. Still, her failure as a new representative of her people was glaring in this place. It did not feel good, to say the least. But he made sense as he spoke to her.

"I see. Some things are worth the risk, are they?" she smiled softly and looked down at her hands as she sat next to him. "I can't say as though I approve the way you're going about things, but your goal is worthy of praise." She looked up at him and smiled softly, though it was still a bit sad. "I wonder...are many of these men from the battlefield?"

He smiled back at her glad that she at least approved of what he was doing here with the rest of the men that had come back with him from the enemy country. That was one thing that he had been wanting ever since he had come back, if she could only say that she thought what he was doing was worth it that is all that mattered to him some times. As she asked about the battlefield he stiffened up a little wondering what had brought about that line of questioning. “There are a few that have come from battle, but most of the injuries that you see that seem to come from the battle field are in fact on men that tried to defend their homes or daughters when a lord wanted what they had.” It looked as though the thought was about to turn his stomach, and it was just about too however he had been worried if she was starting to figure out who he might be.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to upset you," she said placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. She hoped that whatever wrongs had been committed could be brought back to right again somehow, between the common people and those who had been considered nobles. "It is no secret that those in positions of power will take advantage of it at some point. I have tried my best not to, but I'm sure that at some point I have or will have failed. It is a shame that these injuries and insults have occurred."

But the news that these were not soldiers was a blow to her hope. "It was probably asking too much for him to be here," she said with a hollow sort of laugh. "After all, I hadn't seen him before. And surely he would have tried to reach me...." With a sigh she looked down sadly, her hand removed from his shoulder. For a moment, she looked heart-breakingly sad, having to go through the possibility that her best friend had died all over again. "It's just...I thought that perhaps he was still alive. I've missed Flynn so much...and my Uncle...Flynn's master, has been so worried." She teared up a little but forced them away. She would not cry here. Not when the others needed to see her be strong.

Taking a deep breath, she smiled sadly and stood up. "But that is another matter, isn't it? Was there something else you needed to tell me?" She desperately wanted him to change the subject or she might well burst into tears right there and then. She needed something to do, or at least someplace to go. Hopefully, he would understand.

He watched her talking about him as though he was dead and yet he was standing right there. It was the hardest thing that he had ever done to not just come right out and tell her who he was. The only thing stopping him was the fact that the Black Fox needed to remain a total mystery for safety reasons. Flynn had been elected to lead for now, but if something ever happened to him one of the other founders of the group would need to take up the mask and become the Fox. That is why all the leaders hid their faces even among their people, so the Fox would never die till he was no longer needed.

He saw the distress on her face and smiled gently placing his hand on her elbow leading her over to one of the bridges. Letting her go ahead of him he watched her for awhile and then set off behind her to lead her to where the other ladies were being kept. He brought her to a lodge that was set up on one of the platforms where all the ladies were as well as a few others that were dressed more plainly. “This is the single women’s dorm. This is where you and the other women will be staying till your ransom is paid. Until then we will have you helping with the injured, get some rest now you have all had a long journey.” He turned to the door making to leave.

Aria let him lead her away to the women's dormitory, a bit confused as to the smile that graced his mysterious face. Seeing him there, keeping the rest of him all to himself when she had just spilled a bit of her story out for him...it was frustrating. She wanted to know who the hell he was. She was angry from being taken, rather than being asked, and yet she could not deny that change needed to be made. Her eyes, confused as they were, watched him leave her standing there. And so she walked toward an empty bed, greeted by the other women--some frightened, some at home. When the other ladies of the court rushed her, she looked up at each of them. As her eyes connected with each one she silenced them.

"We are here now. We cannot get back on our own. Least of all with weary limbs and an empty stomach. We're not even sure where we are. So please, go and lie down. We're needed here. I'll begin teaching you things about medicine tomorrow so that we may at least be useful."

One of the younger ladies looked absolutely terrified. She took a few steps closer and shook her head. "I promise, my dear. Everything will be all right. Those men could have done much to us already if they had wanted to. Why would they start now?"

This seemed to calm the girl a bit, but it was obviously her first time away from home. Sighing, Aria gave the girl a hug and invited the other women to join. Surprisingly enough, they did. "There, now. You're safe here. You'll see. Once you've something to focus on and busy your mind with, you'll be right as rain again."

The girl nodded and the other women dispersed to an open bed. Aria took one as well and fell asleep in no time, her dreams filled with memories of Flynn, as well as imaginings of what he might look like now.

Not that far away was Flynn, he was alone in the room that was assigned to the Fox. As he now wore the mantle of the Fox it was his. He pushed the hood back and then untied the cloth mask from his face. rubbing his hand over his face he traced the outline of the horrid scar that ran down from his left temple to his right cheek. It had healed but the scar would always be there as a reminder of what the king did to his people. The funny thing was that at the time he got it, he had thought it a badge of honor. ‘how time changes you’ he thought ruefully.

He quickly had to abridge that thought, Aria was the exception. Even though she had grown up more since the last time he had seen her, and was now even more beautiful then she ever had been. She hadn’t changed that much, deep down she was still as kind and caring as she had been when he first fell in love with her.

He on the other hand had become so much harder, gone was the lad that always had a ready smile and good natured jest at any moment. War had hardened him making him colder and more callous. Even though he had been working at the forges at one of the forts of the king, he still was exposed to so much that would have turned his younger self’s stomach at the mere thought. He had needed to become hard, and cold, or he wouldn’t have survived long enough to be captured and be where he was now.

The night passed cool and quiet, and restless for Flynn, sleep was something that didn’t come easy to any of the group that started this band, they all had dreams that haunted them.

When Aria woke, it was still quite early in the morning. She was used to waking up so soon. The others, it seemed, were not. She had been quite worn out and slept a deep slumber, but now she was crystal clear and wide awake, though she was still quite sensitive to sound. Looking around her, the redhead saw that she was the only one around her who was awake. Perhaps it was because of nerves. She always woke up early when she was anxious for a new day to start. She got out of bed in the dim light and pushed off her blankets. Without a second thought, she tidied up her space once more and then let her eyes adjust. She went through something of a daily routine once she found all the tools she needed, replacing them where she found them. Finally, the beautiful lady exited the dormitory, walking along the bridges and platforms until she found a bench where she had a beautiful view of sunrise.

"Oh, Flynn..." She sighed and stared at the horizon. "I wish you were here."

The fox had been sitting out on the roof of his room when Aria came out of the women’s dorm. He looked down watching her the sun just starting to spill over the hills and kiss across the camp. He slipped off the roof grabbing his mask again and tying it in place. Pulling the hood up against the cool morning wind he took another cloak with him heading for the bench she was sitting on. He walked silently out of habit and so was able to come up right behind her before he made enough noise to let her know he was there. He had just slipped the cloak around her shoulders giving a soft cough in his throat to let her know someone was there. “You shouldn’t be out here in the cold. We don’t want you to come to any harm.”

Aria had been unaware of his presence until he coughed. Regardless of the warning, she still jumped as he put the cloak over her shoulders. She smiled in thanks and pulled it around herself, letting the sun rays illuminate her. Hugging her arms as he told her he didn't want harm to come to her, she sighed. "I couldn't sleep. If you didn't want me to be out, you should have thought of that before you kidnapped me," she said, teasing him. "But I'm glad I can be where people need me." Leaning back against the bench, she motioned for him to sit down next to her.

He laughed softly as he came around the bench sitting next to her smiling. “Its not the out part that I am worried about, it’s the cold part.” He smiled and sat next to her leaning back against the bench just watching the sunrise. It was beautiful there was no doubt about it and something in it reminded him of their last few days together. He couldn’t stop himself from turning and looking at her watching the sun play over her neck and cheeks slowly warming her as it was the world. His hand reached out brushing against a stray lock of hair. For the first time his skin brushed hers, as he had forgotten to put on his gloves this morning.

It was interesting to see how he accepted her banter. She could make him laugh now. Knowing that she could do so made her feel a bit warm on the inside and she smiled at him as he sat next to her. Though she hadn't noticed the hair that had fallen into her face, Aria was quite aware of it as he brushed it away, his hand brushing against the soft, smooth skin of her face. She blushed softly and turned to face him as the sun light put her hair aglow.

His gloves were missing and she could feel the real man behind the facade. And when he touched her like that, there was a spark. She blushed again looked back out into the sunrise. "I hadn't realized it would have been so cold when I came out here." She pulled the cloak a bit more tightly around her, partially because it was comforting, and partially because she really was cold.

"I couldn't stay asleep. I couldn't stay inside where all I would be reminded of is sleep. But I imagine that I am not alone in that sentiment." She tilted her head, looking at him now. "Troubled minds are unsettled ones. What is it that keeps you awake?" she asked, wondering if it was something different than the answer she imagined: the horrors of war.

He had felt the spark between them as well. He didn’t know what to say as she stared at him, he felt the same feelings of infatuation for the girl that she had once been rising up inside him again. However there was something more, no longer did he just see the little girl that he had once played with and was watching grow into a woman. Here sat that woman fully grown and breathtakingly beautiful, it was like a dream as the sun bathed her face in gold making her seem almost more of a dream then anything else.

He sighed and gave a half smile. She had asked a question that he normally avoided with all his power. He shook his head slowly looking back up into her eyes after a moment of his being downcast. “Things that are best forgotten, but cannot be forgotten no matter how one tries, things beyond ones control.” He turned to the sun letting it start to warm his face, if not his heart. At times it seemed nothing could warm his heart, thought for a moment he had imagined that the brief touch between them had warmed it some.

Back
Top Bottom