Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Apprentice and the Merchant's Daughter (Kolath and Candira)

Flynn smiled moving up so that he was leaning back against the head board of the bed snuggling her up against him more so that his arms formed a protective circle around him. "I know…I wish it didn't need done." He kissed her neck gently pulling her closer to him his hand around her waist resting on her thighs softly. "I just know it needs to be done, but now that you are her my darling." He smiled nuzzling close, "I will be happy for as long as I can have you by my side."

He lay there holding her close for a long time as the night wore on, just enjoying being with her, not needing to join with her again only needing her close to him. He would worry about the challenges of tomorrow and the next days when they came, all that mattered in this moment was his love by his side. That was something he would never let go of, he was sure of it.

She moved with him a bit, making sure the strain on his back wasn't too great. Aria sighed softly at his lips on her skin, leaning into him as he pulled her close. This love was what she had longed for in his absence, and it was something she was willing to fight for. It was clear, however, that her time with Flynn was temporary at best until this was all over. She closed her eyes and nuzzled into him as he held her. "And I will be happy as well, my love." Dozing in and out of sleep with him, just staying in his arms was a pleasure in and of itself. She would hold onto this memory for as long as she could, saving it for when she needed him the most.

"I love you, Flynn," she murmured, falling fast asleep in his arms. Tomorrow they would need to go back to work in the camp, she was sure. But now that they had each other, things would be much happier, indeed.

Flynn woke with Aria still beside him the feel of her body having caused more naughty dreams throughout the night of what he would do to her. He smiled leaning over kissing her neck softly and letting his hand brush up through her hair. He growled softly into her neck before moving to her ear. He nibbled softly at the ear lobe as he whispered to her softly. "Aria my love the morning has come." His hand came down to her cheek as he moved back to look at her face waiting for her to respond and wake with him. He knew there was much that needed done today and they couldn't spend it in bed as they had been, but for the moment all he wanted was her right there before him awake and in his arms.

Aria had slept soundly through the night. Finding out that Flynn was still alive and in love with her had given her such peace of mind. Falling asleep in his arms, waking up with him, and spending her days with him made her feel safe and useful. She was loved and wanted here on a basic, thrilling level, and all she had to do was be herself. It was a wonder that she wasn't living in a dream as it was.

So when she woke up to his lips moving over her delicate skin, his hands tangling in her silky hair, Aria thought she was dreaming. She smiled softly and shivered as he nibbled on her ear, whispering to her that this was, in fact, reality. Her drowsy eyes opened as his hand cupped her cheek. Looking up at him, she turned her head and kissed his palm. "Good morning," she murmured.

Watching her slowly come to wakefulness was a joy to Flynn and he was as happy as he had been the moment he found out she was still alive and unmarried. It had been all the rest of his band had been able to do, to keep him from going to her that moment and dragging her back her. And he knew now she would have come with him in a heartbeat.

He smiled leaning in and kissing her lips softly, before gently wrapping her in his strong arms and snuggling her back into his broad chest. He kissed her neck and just let their bodies press close. There was nothing between them their naked bodies pressed together, but even that wasn't something that was meant as sexual. It was just a loving moment sharing their love, nothing holding them back or hiding that pure love from each other. These moments would be rare as he still had to maintain his image as the Black Fox.

He sighed kissign the back of her neck again softly as he held her. "I fear we will need to get up my love." He nuzzled into her thick hair, "The world awaits us, and I fear what repercussions your staying in this room with me for the night might have."

Flynn's smile was a little miracle in Aria's eyes. The young man had been through so many harrowing experiences. That she was able to make him smile like that so his whole face lit up with joy was a beautiful thing. So when he drew her close to him, she happily moved with him, curling around him as he snuggled with her. Affectionate this morning, Flynn's lips traveled over her again.

"Mmm, the world needs us yet, my love. I'm grateful that I was able to spend this long with you already." She smiled and kissed every inch of him that she could reach. "As for staying with you, I'll never be ashamed. But I should try to keep it a secret to keep us both safe." She curled into him a bit more. "I'd love to stay in bed with you all day if I could, but we've been shut away like this for too long."

He leaned over kissing Aria's shoulder lightly before sighing heavily. His arm gently held her there not wanting to let go no matter what. He knew she was right, he had just thought the same thing but it didn't mean that he had to like it. Finally he pulled back sitting up in bed, "You are right of course, I just am glad that you have the excuse of my injury for you to have stayed here this time. " he brushed his hand over her cheek again lightly. "What are we going to do if one of the ladies that came with you finds out about this? It would ruin your reputation and any chance you have of a good life."

He was thinking of course of her finding a rich husband and settling down on land with servants and everything else that other noble ladies wanted. Not thinking of the fact most noble ladies weren't Aria, and didn't sleep with a rogue they had met in the woods, no matter how handsome he was.

Aria was genuinely surprised at his comment. Hurt mixed in with her surprise as she realized that he wasn't including himself in her future. "I suppose my reputation would take a hit," she said softly. "But my chances of a good life have little to do with that reputation." She sighed and sat up, running her fingers through her hair. After all this time, perhaps he didn't know her as well as she'd thought.

"Then I suppose my idea of a good life is quite different than theirs." She stood up, letting the covers fall away from her body as she moved to gather her things. Without looking at him, she began to dress. Unable to look him in the eye, she wondered just exactly he thought of her--what he wanted for them. Most of all, she wondered what it was he thought she wanted out of life.

Flynn blinks as she pulls away from him and gets out of bed. He might not be smart enough to have any clue how he had just hurt her, but he was smart enough to know that he had. He waited a few moments thinking over what he had said and what she could have misunderstood, but from what she said she understood what he meant perfectly. What he didn't understand what why it had hurt her, he was only thinking of her future with the noble….the hurt hit him in that moment and it sunk in.

He stood slowly coming over to her. He gently slipped his arms around her waist while she was still getting dressed not letting her pull her dress up higher than her waist. "Aria…I'm sorry." He kissed her neck softly sighing, not knowing how to say what he needed to say to her. "I just…I don't know what's going to happen after we finish our work. I could be dead…or banished for taking up arms against the king. The best I hope for is living the rest of my life out here in the woods." He nuzzled close holding her gently. "I don't want to force you, or ask you to take part in my life when I don't know what is going to happen with it."

Tears sprang to her eyes as he put his arms around her waist. She held them back as he apologized, letting her hands drop as he nuzzled into her hair, near her neck. Sighing softly, she closed her eyes and tried to be rational--what he said made sense...but she just couldn't get past the hurt yet. "So why did we make love? Why did you even tell me who you were?" She turned to him, blinking tears away. "If you weren't sure you wanted to be with me, then why let me believe it?"

She leaned into him, holding him tightly to her. "I want to be with you Flynn. You could never force me to be a part of your life--I already am, and I want to stay that way. Did it ever occur to you that I want you to be a part of my life?" She frowned and tried to pull herself together. "I don't want anyone else..."

Flynn's own heart hurt as she turned to him making him understand just what he had put her through with such simple words. He held her close brushing his hand through her hair leaning in and kissing her soft hair gently. He had never meant to make her hurt so much from just what he had said he only wanted to protect her and yet he had done just the opposite.

He gently reached down lifting her chin up making her look up at him his eyes speaking of his pain at what he had done to her. "I'm sorry Aria, I didn't mean that. I want to be with you more than anything, that is why this happened. That thought, of being in your arms again has been the only thing that kept me going. I just…I don't want to curse you to this life of mine…but I want you with me. I know doesn't make sense but that is the honest feelings I have right now."

Aria took a few deep breaths, calming herself as he apologized again. She sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair and kissed her head softly. She looked up at him as he tilted her chin up. What he said was logical. It made sense, but it was a little hard for her to really deal with that logic. Still, at least he admitted that he wanted her to be with him. "Why didn't you just say that?" she asked, holding him to her. "I love you, Flynn. I want to be with you for as long as I possibly can."

He smiled and snuggled her closer brushing his hand through her hair leaning in and kissing her neck softly. "I love you too Aria, I want you here by my side, I just wish my life was different is all. " he smiles and gently pulls back brushing his hand against her cheek. "But since I can't live without you, we will just have to make it all work."

He moves over to his pants pulling them on before pulling his shirt on as well before returning to her. His back was tight from the wound but he would need to just bare with the discomfort it had been too long since he had been outside. He offered her his arm, "Shall we my love?" he hadn't realized he had forgotten his mask no longer feeling the need to hide from her.

Aria smiled at him, finally calm once more as he brushed his hand against her cheek. Pleased that he would try to keep her in his life and vice versa, she let the issue go as he moved to get dressed. Easily, she finished putting on her dress and apron, even combing and pulling her hair back. She stood and saw that he was ready to leave...but he wore no mask. She found it near the bed and picked it up as she made her way to him.

"Loathe as I am to cover that handsome face I've missed for so long, you'll probably need this," she said, handing the mask to him and waiting for him to put it back on.

Flynn blushed slightly at the slip and took the mask before stepping closer to her and drawing her into his arms. "Thank you my love. Even behind the mask I am still your Flynn no matter what." He kissed her deeply one more time before putting the mask back on and tying it into place. He looked the perfect rogue, ready to steal any maiden's heart, as he had just restolen Aria's.

He smiled at her and stepped up to the door and stepped out into the brisk morning air. He breathed deep taking in the crispness sighing softly before turning and smiling at her. "Thank you lady Aria for your ministrations over the last few days. I don't know how I would have made it through without you." His words having a very deeply hidden double meaning that only she would understand.

From across the compound the remaining members of his inner circle were coming to see him. The word had traveled fast that The Fox was better and finally out of his room. There were many that wanted to see him but for this short moment he and Aria were alone on the platform above the forest floor.

Flynn had always been charming and handsome in Aria's mind, but in his roguish guise and that mask, he could steal any woman's heart. She nearly melted again in his arms as he kissed her. When she had herself together, she followed him into the morning. "I'm only glad that I have been of help," she said with a soft smile. The significance of his words didn't escape her, and her smile became brighter as the secret they shared came to mind. "I'll be leaving for breakfast now, and then going to the infirmary. Please, don't hesitate to call me if you need me." With that, she bowed her head in a graceful curtsy and left him to his men.

It was probably pathetic that she missed him so much already, but Aria didn't really care. When she got further down the walk way, she turned to look back at him and smiled. He was her only love. Then she turned toward the dining area and found that all the other maidens were just as excited to see her as the men were to see the Fox again. They all seemed relieved that she was in one piece and Aria recounted how she'd been healing someone important, leaving out a few details. The women, it seemed had been doing a good job in the infirmary without her as well.

The second meaning of Aria's words didn't escape the young man, he needed her more then she could ever know. He thought about calling her just as she walked away but instead just smirked watching her till she turned back to him and let the smile broaden for just a moment. He quickly had to kill it as his men came over to him though the two that knew him the longest could still guess what had happened.

There was much shaking of hands and well wishing before the others had to return to their duties. The two core members of the group move up beside the Fox leaning against the railing and looking down at the beautiful maid that had just left their leader. "Is she going to be a problem Ralph?" one asked in low tones.

Ralph bulked a little at the use of his real name before settling down a bit sighing softly. They were right already she had made a change in him. He hadn't used his real name in so long that he before wouldn't have responded to it at all. However since the night with Aria his old life was looking better and better, but he had a job to do. "No, just…" he sighed shaking his head, "She is trustworthy."

The elder of the two grunted slightly before shaking his head slowly. "Why did you do it? Couldn't you keep it under control? I have a wife that I could easily go and spend a night with…but I don't for the good of the cause."

The other nodded, "Same, you bring this little noble girl into the group and then sleep with her. Does she know?"

Ralph nodded before straightening up. "Listen I'm the one that made the call, I didn't realize who she was till she was already here. Had I not been wounded she would never have been alone with me like that. Things…wouldn't have happened, and she never would have known. Tell me that you would keep it under control with your wife there alone touching your bare skin."

They both took a deep breath before the elder nodded sighing. "We just can't…"

"I know!" Ralph said louder than he had meant. "It won't be a problem, I trust her with my life."

"Obviously, here." The younger handed him a set of sealed envelopes. "The ransoms for several of the girls have come in…" he paused before looking Ralph in the eyes, "Including lady Aria."

They left him there with Ralph looking down at the letter in his hand before cursing and throwing them into his room. "Damn it…what now?"

Aria continued her work throughout the day, tending to the wounded, some of whom had missed her since she'd been called to heal the fox. She sat with them and talked during her breaks, learning new skills and teaching some herself. Despite the fact that she was far from home and missed her family, Flynn's love and the purpose she served here comforted her. It was a surprisingly enjoyable existence.

The other women she'd come with had developed deep friendships with each other, and though it was clear that they were upset about being so far from home and forced to work, they seemed at ease--no longer frightened for their lives or maidenhood. A strong admiration for Aria in this trying time had also come about. Though she was used to camaraderie, respect was a somewhat new honor for her. She was an example for them now, and that made her work harder.

Unaware that her time with all these people she'd grown to care for was about to be cut short, Aria labored for them and ate with them all until the day was done. Tired from her long day, the noble sat on a bench amid the pathways, watching the sunset. What she wouldn't have given for a long bath...but now that she was alone, she wondered if she would ever seen Flynn again. Sighing softly, she began to sing, trying to relax. He'd made a promise to her. He wouldn't go back on his word. Not after what they'd been through together.

The Fox had stayed inside his rooms most of the day trying to think things over and figure what to do. He cursed himself for being so stupid and sleeping with Aria, though he would never have taken it back for the world. However he hadn't thought of her ransom at the time, what was he going to do? He wanted her to stay here with him but with her ransom paid there was no way that he could do that and maintain his credibility as the Fox. It was a hell of a situation that he had gotten himself into.

Not realizing just how long he had been inside he finally stood up to go find Aria and speak to her about the situation. He took the letters for the women going to slowly break the news to her with letting her know about the others first. He came out into the sunset and slowly moved through the town of platforms finding Aria on the bench.

Coming over he took a moment glad to see that she had chosen such a spot so far from most of the people at this time of night. He came up behind her leaning over and gently pressing his lips to her neck whispering softly. "Hello my love," he came around the bench sitting down beside her and smiling.

She'd sensed his presence before he pressed his lips to her sensitive neck. The pretty noble blushed and shivered as he greeted her and sat next to her on her bench of choice. He seemed somehow even more handsome than he had before. How was that possible? Still it put her mind at ease to see that he was moving so well. His range of motion seemed to have increased a bit. "Hello," she said with a cheery smile. "How do you feel this evening?" She asked, wondering if he was in any pain. She'd missed him--worried a bit as well, after being with him so often recently.

Though Aria had missed her family every night since she'd arrived, she served a real and visible purpose here. It softened the blow, as well, to know that she was well-liked here. And now, after such a long time, she had found her Flynn was alive. She was finally able to really help him and tell him how she felt. It was no lie to say that she was fairly happy in this place. She felt fulfilled and loved and that was plenty to like about her situation.

It was the reason she had something of a glow to her when he came to speak to her--not to mention the fact that she'd been hoping to see him again all day. She watched him, wondering if he'd had something important to tell her, or if he'd just wanted to see him again.

He came around moving to sit beside her and let his arm slip up around her shoulders. He was glad this place was so far removed from most of the populated part of the camp. He didn't have to hide his feelings or touches of his love. He leaned over pressing his lips against her temple as he was trying to think of a way of telling her about the ransom. Just sitting there he held her letting himself just enjoy her presence for a long moment.

Finally he couldn't just ignore it anymore and reached into his belt bag and held out some of the letters to her not including the one for her. "These came today, they are the ransom letters that were returned with the ransoms. " he sighed and stood moving to the railing leaning over it speaking over his shoulder to her. "When we take a noble we always ask for ransom to help get what we need for our cause. Honestly the nobles have never complained about how they are treated, one offered to be kidnapped again since he liked living out here more than at home." He laughed slightly at that before turning to look at her. "Most of the women we took with you have been ransomed. If you could tell them and help them get ready to leave in two days."

The minute his arm wrapped around her Aria felt as if all was right with the world. Happy, she leaned into him, his lips pressing against her temple. She smiled at him as he pulled away. Something didn't seem quite right as he took out the letters though. It was odd that he wasn't looking at her. She held the papers in her hands, watching her beloved as he tried to explain what was going through his head. "Well, despite the fear they all felt when you took them from the market, the ladies all seem to be alright now. They'll be glad to be going home, though. They've missed their families quite a bit." She smiled softly, wondering if her family was worried about her too. "I don't know if I could put my family through the worry a second time," she said softly. "But then, I suppose if they knew it would be another story altogether..." Sighing, she leaned back into the bench. "I'll talk to the girls and get them ready to go...but something's bothering you, isn't it? What's the matter, Fox?" she asked, standing. She stood by his side and put a hand on his shoulder.

Flynn sighed his shoulders collapsing forward at her touch as though she had drained all strength from him. It honestly felt just like that, she didn't know what it was that he was holding back from her and he didn't know how to tell her. All he could do was just come right out and say it. He held up one last letter folded and clearly having been crushed more than once by a very angry pair of hands. He couldn't help it after have read so many of the letters that allowed some of the women to return to their homes this was the only one that made him pissed as hell.

It was from some noble lord that had heard of Aria's capture and it had included the price of her ransom. He had kind of hoped that Aria family wouldn't be able to put together the price he was asking but it seems they had turned to this noble to help bail them out. However it wasn't just that which had pissed him off so royally. In the letter the flowery way that this Scarlotti had described Aria, and the blunt use of the word betrothed is what had really gotten him to such anger. "Your ransom has been paid as well."

Shocked was a mild word to express how she felt in that moment. That couldn't have been right. Even if her family had had the money, it wasn't likely they would pay it without knowing of her safety first-hand. With numb fingers she took the crumpled scroll into her hands and forced herself to focus enough to read it. She had to read it three times before any of it sank in. Lord Scarlotti was paying her ransom? Since when had she become his betrothed?!

Shock quickly faded into anger as she read the letter again and again. "The fiend! He has no cause to write of me with such familiarity. The trite little mongrel has no right to call me his betrothed." She crumpled the letter herself this time clenching the defenseless paper in her hand. "This noble has tried and tried to get me to agree to let him court me. His disposition is so slimy I turned him down. He's proposed to me several times and been met with the same answer at each occasion."

She looked up at Flynn and shook her head. "You cannot let me go to him. I'm not someone to be bought or sold. He'll take my return as entitlement. He'll claim me for himself and not even my own family will have the power to refuse him." Aria turned away from him, staring down at the pathway. "You mustn't let me leave for him, Fox. I refuse to go if Scarlotti is the one I'll be indebted to."

The simple truth of the matter was that the Fox heard very little of what Aria said. In the beginning it was because he was so lost in his own depression that was threatening to over take him. How could she let him get his hopes up like that to allow him to fall in love with her all over again. He knew that that he had never fallen out of love with her to begin with but seeing her again and having her close, and then last night, he knew that she was the one that completed him. How could she have not mentioned at betrothed in all of that.

The part that caught his attention was simply 'has no right to call me his betrothed.' Those words coming from her mouth sent him yet into another tailspin, this one of joy and sheer relief. So she wasn't betrothed to anyone, and this bastard of a noble was trying to force her hand. That made Flynn all the more protective of Aria, this man would never get his hands on Aria, Flynn would kill him first.

He stepped closer even as she was talking still not hearing her totally. There was still that little uncertainty that he had to clear up. His hands came up gently cupping her cheeks looking into her eyes his own just about brimming with tears as he finally spoke. "So you're not betrothed? To this man or any other?"

Back
Top Bottom