Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Early AM backups and downtime notices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Administrator

Vekseid's Sock Puppet
I'm going to have a nightly backup running shortly (haven't picked the exact time yet >_>) which will cause some lag. Eventually it will have to cause down time - no real avoiding that until we are running slave servers to run the backups off of. We'd be doing pretty well for ourselves at that point...

In addition, at 4:30 AM CST Elliquiy's main backup runs, which takes several minutes and a lot of horsepower. There are others that occur throughout the morning but most people hardly notice them.

I also occasionally need to tweak or apply patches to MySQL or Apache.

Which of course means restarting it. Which of course means the entire site will be down for about thirty seconds from time to time, early in the morning when there aren't many users on. I usually limit this to once a night at the very most, and on average it happens about once a week.

In this particular instance as of this posting I need to tweak the query cache a bit. Not a big deal but helps make things faster for everyone : )

----

tl;dr: If you see an error, don't panic, wait a minute and try again. Won't happen often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom