Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Anansi x Nixie

A rustling sound came through the trees of the town, well some of the few that were standing anyway and as he slept soundly something approached. Flapping and fluttering wildly through the sharp needles and branches that surrounded him from where he sat. Christmas was long over but the town for some reason or another still had its tree up and strangely enough it was where he felt comfortable. His eyes shot open as the fluttering creature came towards him and his hand shot out to crush it in his grasp his leather clad fingers gripping it tightly as his crystalline blue eyes shot open. He had panicked slightly, it had become his usual reaction to anything that moved about him as he slept. Slowly he looked down to open his hand to reveal a crumpled torn half of a poster. Spreading it out on the trunk before him as he parted his legs to straddle it and leaned forward he tilted his head. "Grand....grand what? He had a name, he had an address...but for what?" He said slowly as his eyes ran along it. Lifting up his finger he moved his silverish hair from his eyes and ran his eys over the poster once more.

He saw mention of food and perhaps it would be best to go to a place that was having some kind of grand event to get it rather than having to associate with local merchants who would only shoo him away for his odd appearance. He stood moving his fingers along his pale skin, it had a slight hue to it, as though it were constantly under a chill, his lips a soft blue and his veins showing slightly through his almost ethereally pale visage. His clothing was a stark contrast, a deep black, and ragged in contrast to his smooth face. His boots clinked softly as he stood. Turning he walked forward and to the trunk, then up the trunk before turning and walking down it the metal shank of the bottom of his boots giving a soft hiss with each press. On his way down he picked up a large black parcel of sorts. It was swaddled in a deep black cloth bound by various leather straps at odd angles as though its maker had been in a particular rush or just hadn't particularly cared about it. Reaching the bottom he hopped down and plodded out from beneath the thick boughs and branches of the large tree and walked slowly along down the road.

His eyes flitted along the street signs looking for the place mentioned as he walked. His body shifting uneasily as he did so while people turned to look at him and pointed slowly one by one. He hated jobs that took him to places such as this. His hair dye had run out and his skin had returned to its usual complexion in a matter of days and now all he had to go on was being some strange sort of albino with birth defects to get people to stop asking him questions or chasing him about. Few ever noticed the important things, like the fact that no steam came from his mouth or that he had been wearing the same clothes for three weeks without so much of a hint of a scent coming off of them. Stopping before the edge of town he looked up and down the face of the establishment in the distance. He didn't particularly fancy walking so he looked about slowly for some alternate form of transportation. Spotting an officer on horseback he slowly made his way over to him.
Slowly he removed the glove of his right hand and it began to give off the look of soft frost forming along his digits as he hopped up and touched a finger to the officers temple. The man's body seized up and he crumpled from his mount and into the crook of Dirael's arm. Replacing his glove he hopped onto the horse leaving the fallen officer who now gave off soft shuddering breaths in the street to quickly ride off and up to the main gate. A few minutes later he had gone through and past the gate before making his way up to the main entrance. Stepping down onto the coach stone before the house he gave the horse a firm clap on the backside sending it whinnying off in the distance as he made his way up to the door his eyes furtively glancing about.

Slipping within he slowly walked over to the bar and proceeded to simply lean over it and take a pitcher on the other side lifting it onto the bar and pouring himself a glass. "Ok..." He said as he lifted the glass slowly and gulped down the lot quickly in one giant pull lest it freeze on its way down. Sighing softly he sat on a stool and looked over to a young woman nearby and tilted his head to look observe her and her drink. "Hey...you." He said curtly, his voice was dulcet and far from polite, thinly veiled annoyance conveyed in it but it was made obvious it wasn't towards the young woman in particular.

The woman in question, was sitting on her own, apparently isolated from the other patrons that were also in the bar. Most of them were in cheerful spirits, the bar being a new one, offering free food and drink for their grand opening, which in her opinion was doomed to be a grand disaster. Sure, free drink was certainly a way to attract customers but it was also a certain way to invite pissheads, vomit, brawls, broken glasses, damaged property and all the rest. She had already decided that she would be out of the place before anything too dramatic got underway. She wasnâ??t one for scenes and more one for discretion it seemed. She was bent over her drink, her gloved hand curled around a green glass bottle and her form was bent over the drink. She was scruffily presented overall. Her jeans were torn and dirty, and the baggy green hoody she wore had been faded while the leather jacket placed over that was bruised with many years of love but it was too large and wide to have been designed for women. The green hood was pulled up, concealing her face and from itâ??s depths tumbled waves of luscious raven hair that had been tousled and knotted by a playful wind. On her hands she wore black gloves and scarf hung around her neck to match.

She heard the door open and felt the wind shoot up her spine but she ignored it and just took another sip of her half finished beer. She felt the new patron sit near her, but did not look, assuming he was probably here for the free food and drink too. Then when he addressed her, she had to fight back her curiosity to raise her head and looked back and a few moments of silence passed whilst she struggled with this urge. After some time, she responded. Her voice had a natural rasp to it and her thick Scottish accent was heavily laced even into the one word she said â??What?â?. Her tone was as sharp and as curt as his. Perhaps it did not contain quite so much annoyance, but it was distant and accusing at the same time. She couldnâ??t imagine why this individual had spoken to her unless he wanted something from her. Maybe to borrow a lighter or whatever. No, she just sat as still as a statue, bent over her drink and looking down the neck, her hair acting like a dark veil between her and the rest of the world.

He sat up slowly, his icy blue eyes running over her and a cold steam coming from his mouth as he simply breathed, his entire aura seething it seemed as he looked to her and leaned over. His eyes looking down to her as a predator does an animal not that it is stalking but is slightly interested by. Interested enough not to kill it, but then again just barely. He ran his fingers along the bartop before he slowly touched it to the edge. Leaning in slightly he sighed as if gather his thoughts before he removed the glove and looked about the area. "Cmere." He said as he hooked the pale steaming finger in her direction in a gesture of beckoning.

She felt movement beside her but did not react to it, choosing instead to fiddle with the green cords hanging from her jumper distractedly, not really paying much attention to it and just keeping her senses completely alert. Her gaze found the grain of the wood in the dark mahogany bar and began to follow it and she soon found herself looking at the manâ??s fingers that were outstretched towards her. It looked like there was steam coming off them. Like water was evaporating off of his skin or something. This perked her curiosity enough for her to tilt her head to get a slightly better view. She had to bottom half of his face in her sight and she could see his strange and long pewter-like hair. It was shone slightly in the dim lighting and looked as soft as silk. It was quite pretty she noted. Of her own face he would probably only be able to see her chin and a slither of her jaw line, the skin covering both being deep blood red. Careful not to expose the strange pigment for too long, she tilted her head back and frowned at his request.

â??Why?â? she demanded, her voice hard and as cold as his skin. Her fingers gripped her beer a little tighter. She wanted to know- what did he want with her? She had never seen him before. She was sure she would have recognised the distinct shading of his hair. He was a stranger to the town also. What was his business here then?

He sighed, a long deep sigh that carried a freezing breath across the room towards her objects in its path slowly crusted over with a slight condensation brought on by extreme cold followed by the droplets freezing. His chest heaved as he made the sigh and he sat back looking to her with a slight grin alighting his features. His lips curled back to reveal perfectly white teeth. "Because." He simply said as he raised his hand and touched it to his cheek as though in thought. Soon after he took a glass of water in his gloved hand and tilted it till a droplet fell out, it briefly hit his exposed finger on the other hand before he flicked it and shot it forward as it froze the air pressure and speed forming it into a pin of sorts that was flying towards the top of her hood that jutted up slightly above her. He shot two or three more in rapid succession after each headed for the same spot before he simply poured out the water and arched his hand under it, his palm making a cupping motuion as he slowly shifted his hand about it then threw it off to one side striking the lock of the door, the ball shattered and the water within froze instantly effectively freezing the lock shut as he looked to her. "And because its likely the only option for you to leave here."

“

When her hood fell down as a result of this irritating, strange manâ??s persistence, it would reveal a face less human and less normal than the man sitting next to her. Her skin was a dark crimson all over, this seeming to be the pigmentation she hid beneath her gloves and all of her other concealing clothes. Her full lips had some distinction by being a slightly different shade of red by comparison but that seemed to be about all. Her lashes were thick and fanned out around deep blue eyes. Her features were sharp and angular and yet still retained some soft curves, almost as if they were the ghosts of previous humanity. The her mussed and messy black waves framed her face and through the mass of this hair, atop her head, grew two black stubby gnarled horns.

Her eyes followed the ball of ice as it shot across the room, causing a ruckus amongst the other customers and drawing attention. They all immediately gasped and pointed at the pair of them, probably unsure how to react to the two freaks. The red skinned woman simply glared at him and tried to take another sip of her bee but soon found it had been frozen. Her angry eyes returned to him as she slammed the glass back down on the table, cracking the thick base slightly. â??Fucker.â? she growled, standing and slinging a rucksack that had been on the floor by her feet over her left shoulder before padding over to him.

â??What?â? she demanded, more than slightly pissed off, although the made no movement to replace the hood. What would be the point now?

He smirked and licked his lips slowly as he saw her. "Aww either someone's been hitting the carrots hard or you're a freak...like me." He said while pursing his lips and blowing her a kiss teasingly, the moisture cast off by him froze in air and fell to the ground soon after. Smirking he leaned back raising his feet and crossing his legs while he leaned back. "Hhmm too much commotion." He said before he waived his hand about and grabbed a pitcher soon water was being slung about and several patrons were trapped, legs caught in ice hands together and lips sealed by a grip of ice about their faces. "Thats better." He said slowly

"I just needed someone to talk to, you seemed to be unoccupied and odd so I figured hey..why not her." He said as he patted the seat next to him with a gloved hand. "Cmon take a seat, lets talk." He said with a slight snicker.

Her deep blue eyes shot him a glare for his remark and she decided to ignore the teasing kiss he sent to her in the air, figuring that it was probably better to react as least as possible to this guy. She waited impatiently for him to explain himself but it seemed that no such explanation was on itâ??s way. Not a satisfying one anyway. She scratched her scalp at the base of one of her twisted horns briefly and raised an eyebrow as he dealt with the human. Interesting, although she wasnâ??t sure whether or not she agreed with such a method. Looking back to him, she mumbled â??Iâ??m never going to be able to drink here again you know.â?

â??Unoccupied and odd?â? she echoed, sounding unimpressed. Well that was a nice way of putting things, wasnâ??t it? Sighing, she dropped her rucksack on the floor beside the stool that he had patted. She wasnâ??t going to win, he was pushy and irritating. Even though she wouldnâ??t admit it out loud though, she had to say she was pretty intrigued by him and his ice-related ability. Having said that, she would like to give him the pleasure of the knowledge that she was interested. She plopped down on the proffered seat, stroking her hair behind her ear and folding her arms.

â??Talk about what?â? she was dryly, in a bored tone.

"Oh thats quite apparent my dear, that you'll never come here again. You're coming with me by the end of the night anyway." He said with a smirk as he leaned back further and slowly ran his fingers through his fingers along his jawline. Smiling he licked his lips slowly steam rising from them as he let out a soft sigh then shook his head. "You seem somewhat annoyed by me..thats fair..I guess, but you don't even know me, and you seem so ashamed of who you are..why?" He said as he leaned up after a while his body bending as he looked to her his gaze locking with hers. "Mmmm do you not like me..because you don't like yourself?" He asked in a slow somewhat teasing tone before he shook his head.

"You weren't busy and your appearance is almost as strange as mine." He said with a nod. "At least your eyes and hair can pass for human, mine shine through even contacts." He said as the crystalline blue circles pierced into her as their gaze got more direct. "And this hair..it just never stays dyed." He added with a sigh and a flip of a clock. "I mean I'm pretty but so pale..you know?" He clucked softly as he looked to her with a nod.
"Talk about...anything..life, the universe, everything." He said as he nodded to her.

She tapped her fingers along the side of her arm. They looked so alien, not only thanks to their red pigmentation but also due to the extra joint added onto each digit that made them spindly, like gnarled twigs on an ugly tree. The nails were as naturally black as her skin was red apparently, the same shade as her ebony tendrils. "Oh really?" she asked, a hint of challenge in her voice when he told her that she would be coming with him by the end of the night. "You can think that if you like." she said, thinking sleeze. She allowed him to rant on to himself, her narrowed eyes following his movements with a dull but still aggravated gaze. "No..." she said slowly, as if talking to a three year old. "I don't like you because you've already proven yourself a royal pain in the arse and a time waster." she said bluntly. "The sort of fucker that likes to wind everyone else up because he's bored." Well, nobody could say she wasn't honest. "And I don't have a problem with who I am at all, thank you very much." she added truthfully.

She placed one leg over the other and snapped "They can pass for human because they are human." She seemed a little more than angry this time around and he seemed to have stricken a particular nerve with her. She fumed for a second before calming and rolling her blue eyes as he spoke of being pretty but too pale. "Honestly, you sound like a teenage girl." she grumbled. Reaching across to get her frozen beer and peer down the neck. "And you owe me a drink you know." she said, looking back up expectantly.

"I'm Xenophon...your contact..you're here to meet me..you just failed the first test." He said as his face got rather expressionless as he looked to her shaking his head. "You have to learn how to deal with all sorts of people." He said abruptly.Standing he shrugged. "I don't think you're mature enough to handle any of the jobs we posted, I gave a small test, you couldn't even manage to sell yourself, you had no clue who I was, and though I displayed ability you tried to shrug it off. And another thing..I'm not human..not in the least." He said as he walked away from her flicking a coin over his shoulder. "Then buy yourself a new one." He said as he shrugged. "They'll all thaw in an hour or so." In a display of strength he gripped the doorknob and pulled, the ice didn't break but the section of the door held by it did, splintering as he pulled it back and stepped out onto the street.

Back
Top Bottom