Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Texting while driving?

Nyoko

Supernova
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/02/04/texting-driving.html">http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/02/0 ... iving.html</a><!-- m -->

Anyone else think its a bit dumb to have a device that blocks texting while driving? I mean what if your in an emergency? I could be wrong, just wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

Texting while driving will be illegal soon, I don't think it's stupid at all. Any distraction in the vehicle can mean certain death, no matter how good you are at double tasking. If your full concentration isn't on the road, then get off it.

Zypher said:
Texting while driving will be illegal soon, I don't think it's stupid at all. Any distraction in the vehicle can mean certain death, no matter how good you are at double tasking. If your full concentration isn't on the road, then get off it.
I take it you drive with the radio off?

Good point Trygon.

So whats your take on it?

Though some distractions are bad. Eating and driving can be funny to watch haha.

Texting is goddamn retardad, as is anything that takes your eyes off the road. Key, there. Eyes - Road. So long as that is happening, and hand is additionally on the wheel with foot on pedals, I don't care what you're doing.

Except for inebriating things. That's retarded.

Nyoko said:
But do you think radios cause accidents?

I know for a fact that texting does, radios, only if you take your eyes off the road. Does that mean I use the radio, no. It's annoying.

Yeah texting takes your eyes off the road, but I still don't think that there should be a device that blocks it, thats ridiculous!

If it cuts down the amount of accidents, it's far from being ridiculous. Unless of course, you'd rather receive a huge ass fine?

Nah no fine.

But, still I don't like how our decisions are limited by technology, people should just stop being stupid! -sigh-

Humans are bound to be stupid, it's one of our innate abilities... Even for those of us that are smart, we still do stupid things from time to time. Some simply decidedly more so than most.

If you don't text while driving, I don't see why you would have an issue with it. -shrugs.- Technically, it would only be really stupid to those that do it. If you don't do it, well, where's the problem?

Just because you have the choice to do something doesn't mean you'll make the right one. Sometimes we need limitations.

Unless you have been trapped and your vocal cords are crushed, severed, or your lungs and punctures(in all cases you'd be dead anyway) if you're texting in an emergency..you kinda deserve to be wiped from the gene pool for your stupidity. Texting is something where you have to look down to the actual screen to correct errors and focus on the typing aspect of it, most texters use two hands and while its fun to drive with your knees its far from safe.

If your argument were to be addressed to the unfairness to passengers thats one thing, but when it comes to drivers your logic is flawed. I believe in freedom to do as such, however in doing as such you may take the life of another. The device will save lives if it does prevent distraction, oh boo hoo it inconveniences a driver. On the other aspect a right is being taken from a driver albeit one that could lead to the injury or death of other motorists or pedestrians.

You make a good point. I suppose I was quick to judge, since it annoyed me a bit.

You make lots of sense here, I'll have to rethink this. Which is one of the reasons I posted this thread.

At least you have the rationale to consider things. I mean, just look at those that have died, they certainly didn't rethink their decisions.

Many people have been injured and injured others while texting on their phones. They run a light, or jump a corner, drive into a cross walk.

Examples:
self

Others

Also very few emergency services take text messages, so far I know only LA and NYC do it and its mostly supposed to be for if you're in a situation where you can't talk, thats what texting was originally used for.

With technology on the rise, it's getting pretty bad.

I doubt it'll ever tie with drunk driving, but it'll prolly get close if it's not handled.

Yeah, cause drunk driving is more severe, or at least hinders your driving more.

Truthfully, anything that impairs your ability to react quickly to whatever situation is thrown at you under normal circumstances, are just as bad. It's even worse when the situation is out of the norm, say, a sudden flash storm or something of the sort.

I'm all for drivers not texting. But I do think it's a bit of an inconvenience for passengers to have the same block. But in that, chances are you're texting another person with a phone. Call 'em if it's that important and can't wait the trip. *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom