Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Thinking about the marines

Veras

Star
I've been really considering joining the Marines, or possibly some other branch of the military, but I've wanted to hear some pros and cons, as well as if anyone here has military experience, their thoughts on the process. I see it as a good way to get good physical and mental training, a good education, experiences I couldn't get anywhere else, and a stable career.

I'm really just open to the idea right now, not for or against it, so I was curious as to peoples' thoughts.
Thanks ^_^

Eh, I am flat footed so I have no worries of ever having to join them. Cause I am a pacifist and will stay that way till the day I die.

If you have the brains for it, I recommend going into the Air Force. They have the best standard of life, and every Air Force base I've lived on, I've enjoyed immensely. But the Marines on the last post were fucking awesome guys, so either way it works well.

Steer clear of the Army is my only other suggestion.

Trygon said:
The world is ending in less then four years. Do you want to be in the military when the apocalypse comes?

The world is ending in less than four years? Where do you get your information from?
Great, shelling out thousands of dollars for a university education that won't matter.

Seraph said:
Trygon said:
The world is ending in less then four years. Do you want to be in the military when the apocalypse comes?

The world is ending in less than four years? Where do you get your information from?
Great, shelling out thousands of dollars for a university education that won't matter.
Also, why I'm putting college off.

No, I don't know the world is ending in four years. But the people who made a spotlessly accurate (and I do mean SPOTLESS. Unexplainably so.) calender say it is, so when it comes to things like college or military service, I'm putting it off. For now I'm focusing on human resources and my own personal skillset. Like, manipulating people and controlling large groups. The sorts of things that might help get by in the end times. I figure, even if it's all complete bullshit, four years is a short enough timeframe that I don't mind spending it to hedge my bets.

Trygon said:
Seraph said:
Trygon said:

Also, why I'm putting college off.

No, I don't know the world is ending in four years. But the people who made a spotlessly accurate (and I do mean SPOTLESS. Unexplainably so.) calender say it is, so when it comes to things like college or military service, I'm putting it off. For now I'm focusing on human resources and my own personal skillset. Like, manipulating people and controlling large groups. The sorts of things that might help get by in the end times. I figure, even if it's all complete bullshit, four years is a short enough timeframe that I don't mind spending it to hedge my bets.

>.>

They had one of these 'world endings' in 3000 BCE or so. Just so you know.

Until the world explodes we will probably somehow survive the so called apocalypse. We tend to be an annoying race to kill off after all.

MrPenguin said:
Until the world explodes we will probably somehow survive the so called apocalypse. We tend to be an annoying race to kill off after all.
For the record, the apocolypse doesn't include the end of all humanity. At least, definitely not immediately. I can't remember what exactly it does entail, but we don't just die off all at once.

well Josie, if you are talking about the christian apocalypse then no, we have to go through the 4 horsemen of the apocalyse first, and that's after the antichrist begins his rise to power and marking people.

but the four horsemen are...
1. the conqeror, on a white horse. [who might be the antichrist, seeing as he'll be given authority and power to rule and blah blah blah.]
2. warfare, on a red horse.
3. famine, on a black horse.
4. death, on a dead horse? xD

but also in the christian apocalypse the horsemen are just precoursers to even worse shit to come around in the Tribulation.

Zombies anyone?
srsly.

JosieAnna said:
MrPenguin said:
For the record, the apocolypse doesn't include the end of all humanity. At least, definitely not immediately. I can't remember what exactly it does entail, but we don't just die off all at once.
Which is why I want to be in a position to make the best of it.

Kawa: According to the mayans? They're the only group that's convinced me they might even have an inkling what's going on.

Yeah. This is the end of the thirteenth... What is this word?

Well, the thirteenth 'major unit' in their Long Count Calendar. The last one happened roughly around 3000BCE. You can google 'mesoamerican long count calendar' or something like it for more information. I could look for you, if you'd like.

The Mayans were fantastic astronomers, but that doesn't say anything about their prophesy skills.

There is also no secret planet 'Nibiru' and, while we do align with the sun and the center of the galaxy on 21 December 2012, we do this every 21 December, every year.

Here's the wiki article.

It's better than I explained it and corrects me in quite a few places. I keep forgetting how long these things are.

I think I'd like to take my chances. I'd rather go out into the world and be prepared as opposed to wait til 2012, and on January 1st, 2013 say, "Shit... What now?"

I was thinking of the Air Force too, since that's a lot more of the strategic intelligence of the military

More power to you, but I watched MASH as a kid and I simply idolize Hawkeye too much to ever do well in any branch of the military.

Don't be fooled by talk of the Air Force's easy life, cos' while it's true that we have the best installations and the most "real jobs," we also have the strictest entrance requirements.

That's mental and physical.
Even the Marines are more lenient than we are on fat people or people without much athletic ability.
It's ridiculous.
They want us to be in top physical condition for our desk jobs.

That's another thing. I also fucked around in high school for one of my years, and I think it would disqualify me from the Air Force

wendi darling said:
The military is the worst, I do hope you reconsider.
I have to, respectfully, disagree. Now, I'm not saying that the military is a happy joyful place filled with gumdrops falling from the sky, rainbows, and unicorn farts or anything, but it's certainly not the worst. Is it dangerous? Absolutely. You sign up to go off and fight in foreign countries against people you may not even know why you're fighting (as in really why, not the reasons put out to the press).

Personally taking into account that Veras said he'd fucked around for a year in HS, the military is a great option to help him pull himself up. I made the same mistake for more than a year when I was in HS (despite having an above average intelligence, I graduated with a 2.7 GPA... -_-), but was able to turn around my life thanks to my stint in the Army. I left because I didn't really mesh with certain aspects of it (waking up at 5:30 AM? FUCK NO!), but if I had to go back and had the choice to either go to college or go into the Army again, the only changes I would make are asking for other enlistment bonuses.

As for the AF having strict phsyical requirements, I'm not saying you're lying, but unless you've been in multiple branches I doubt anyone here can authoritatively state that one is easier than the other. As an ex-Army person I remember serving with an AF division and their daily PT regimen seemed a lot less stringent than ours. Though it could just be a GIGOTOS thing...

No worries about that.

My grades weren't great. All they ask is that you have a diploma. College credits will "buy" you an early rank increase. [20 gets you an automatic E-2, I know.]

But you've gotta do well on the test to get the jobs you want. There ARE jobs you can get with a mere 36 score, but they're nothing I'd think you'd wanna do.
The ASVAB test is everything.

Back
Top Bottom