Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Home is where the Black is (Anansi and Sorrow.)

Hawk flew in silence, making sure they were a great deal away from the planet, finding herself scanning the radar signals every few moments. Finding nothing she shifted uncomfortable, hearing Xeno go down to his cabin. She let him along for awhile, until a nagging sense of worry brought her back to the hall, knocking on the door of his cabin "Xeno, ye alright?" she called, just like before.

Laying on the floor his eyes open but his body unresponsive he twitched slightly. He was in too much pain to move, his mind was on fire, his body unable to process its responses due to the overwhelming flood of pain. His lungs wouldn't even get the command to cry out, all the could do was lie there, this was the price for his ability but he took care to make sure she didn't see it.

Not hearing a response, the woman keyed in the override command to open the doors. Sliding down to the floor of his cabin she paled a fraction and rushed to his side. Crouching she checked his pulse, mouth set into a grim line "Xeno, can ye hear me?" she asked, trying to keep the panic out of her voice and not succeeding as she half lifted him onto his bed, checking his vitals. It had to have been the agents that were after Xeno, but what they did to him was not coming to light in the least, which meant she hadn't an idea of how to help him.

"No mommy..I don't want to go.." He muttered under his breath as he rolled over. Curling up tightly he rocked as tears stung his eyes. "I don't want to go with the men with the blue hands..they scare me..don't leave me..don't leave me alone." He cried out softly oblivious to her touches before he suddenly snapped out of it and sat up. Looking to her he shook his head before biting his bottom lip his face flushed as he turned from her. "What are you doing here?" he snapped curtly.

Her heart clenched as he spoke, and for a moment she could see Xeno as a little buy, clinging to his mother before being dragged away to his private hell. When he sat of she let go gently, watching his face before reaching out to touch his shoulder "Ye were out, no response or anything." she explained, ignoring the curtness, chalking it up to the hatred of her seeing him like this.

"Who's piloting the ship then, we just hoisted a valuable item from a secure facility. Whats important right now is professionalism." He said as he stood slowly before he turned from her shrugging off her hand. "I'm fine..I'm always fine." He said as he picked up a pair of dark black trousers. "I'm going to take a shower." He added as he moved towards the ladder.

She moved away and stood, unable to really put into words of what it was like to see him like that. Perhaps it was best not to. She nodded, letting him go up first and climbed the ladder as well, going back to the controls and steering the ship once more. There was a small outpost where they could refuel, until then she was going to go full burn. Hawk settled back, watching the stars and distant planets move by, keeping an eye on the radar.

Slipping into the shower he sighed. He coudln't remember much before the facility, that was part of his programming it was only after he had a head injury that he got flashes of it. Small moments of a childhood without cold tables and relentless training. He'd been forced into things that no child should endure but he survived, however he often wondered on that. There were numerous other experiments many of them amalgams of parts of previously failed ones, could the same be said of himself?

Hawk let silence fill the bay until a small blip on the radar gained her attention. Her eyes widened as she called up an image of the ship and she swallowed. It was an Alliance craft, small and sleek, and she felt her stomach clench. Tapping a button she opened the ship wide radio "Xeno, we're being tailed. 'Tis Alliance." she commented, accent thickening as she rapidly used the controls to speed up, the ship going back to full burn.

Walking into the room still dripping he didn't bother to put on even a towel as he looked over her shoulder. "Mmm its an operative or a small crew else it would be a big ship."He said curtly before he sighed and leaned back. "Well if we can't lose him, invite him aboard, there are only two that survived the plant and as I understand the other is with some crew on some ship called Serenity, as such I doubt we have anything to worry about."

Hawk stared at him blankly "Are ye mad?! Operatives are off the scale enough te be extremely dangerous." she replied, knowing that he knew this. She frowned, keeping the ship at high-burn "Ye've been running from those folk all this time, ye want te give in now?" she asked, voice terse, not understanding the reasoning behind this.

"I just hurled ten three hundred pound boxes a distance of a hundred or so feet with my brain, I then ran that entire distance and back while killing an operative and two elite soldiers in under thirty seconds" He said before he shook his head. "Its not the enemy we can see we should worry about. Operatives I can handle, experiments are another story, an experiment needs a support crew while dangerous the government would never let an operative into my files. Not after the scandal with that..brook or spring or..something or other girl and the Miranda scandal."

"So? A few minutes ago ye collapsed on the floor unable to move. What if that happens again? The Op will kill me and drag ye off, I'm no' risking it." she replied, ignoring his babble about the other crew and experiment. "Naive thinking, The Alliance wants ye back, they won't stop at nothing to have their gorram claws in ye and as long as I'm here, that's not going to happen. Now sit down, shut the hell up and let me get out av this." she snapped.

"That was from physical strain its not like I'm going to throw his entire ship." He said with a shrug. "You can run and run but the issue with that is the fact he will still be behind us versus you just letting him in. I'll meet him in the hold alone, you won't be there. Remember they won't kill me thus you have nothing to worry about. Let me remind you this is my damn ship!" He finally added his voice booming in the small room.

"I have plenty te worry about." she gritted, furious at his fatalistic view of things, finding herself gripping the controls tightly "We don't know who's in there, too much can go wrong. We've come close too many damned times and I don't want te lose ye in a foolish stand." she stated, voice calming a fraction "And I'm it's pilot. We're both in this together." she added, looking at him the best she could.

"I do have much to worry about as well, I've just had those parts of my brain forcibly altered to the point where it has to be something I really have worry about, a definite not a maybe." He said with a sigh as he shook his head. "If I am lost..well you get a ship, and more than enough money to retire in comfort." He said with a slow nod. "No more doctors bills, strange adventures, strangers hitting on you, you hitting strangers." He said with a slight smirk. "Yes you are my pilot, and I your captain, you don't give the orders here."

"That's why I do the worrying for the both av us." she replied, voice soft "And I don't care about that sort av thing." she muttered, glaring at him and the high handed way he spoke to her, he had never done that before, never needed too. A coldness filled her and she nodded, turning the controls to steer back to the Alliance ship "Fine Captain." she muttered, eyes and voice flat.

"Thats a good girl." He said in a smirking slightly condescending tone. If there was one thing he could do well, it was push people's buttons. Slowly he made his way back towards the docking bay. Standing in it he punched a code into the door and locked it from within then he simply waited.

Hawk's hands clenched onto the controls, and a soft series of curses filled the cockpit, the woman keeping ahold of the anger that fueled in her mind.

(Ugh, I can't even think. This took a whole another turn then I thought. Xeno's a bit of a bastard.)

Sighing he leaned back. She'd get over it in time. He'd gotten what he wanted, he'd get to talk for a bit with this alliance man. He knew the type, first would come logic, then force, then cunning.

((Yup he gets what he wants)

(So..what will happen if she refuses things like that? I mean would he be able to compromise?)

The Alliance ship grew nearer, and stopped, the docking bridge attaching to Xeno's ship. The doors slid open and a man in a non descript uniform, he was average, a strange bland sterility to him that made one's eyes pass over his face. He stopped and stood with military precision and looked at Xeno, dark eyes flat "Hello Xenophon." he commented, looking into the young man's red eyes impassively.

(Wheres the fun in telling? You can play the Operative.)

He stood there and leaned back taking him in with a sigh. "Hello there Operative." He said with a nod as he looked to him. "I came to this unarmed, willing to talk, I know most of your lot like to hear the sounds of your own voice so start." He said as he folded his arms and looked to the man. He knew the type, military career, long history of war and strife, a cold disaffected nature, however none of it got to him. He was trained by Operatives and then by Masters in their individual fields till he surpassed them, this one most likely wouldn't be different.

(I already had that in mind.)

The man's expression did not change "Talk of what? Negotiate a way of escape, lure me in with pretty speeches until you or that Independent pilot of yours makes an final act to try and outwit me?" he asked, voice flat, like pebbles hitting the bottom of a metal pail. He shook his head in a small movement, not being one to waste words or gestures. "I am here to do my job, as a working man yourself, you can respect that. And my job is to take you to those that hired me, which I will do. Come on then, let us see how your training has gone." he commented, stepped forwards.

"I don't need to outwit you, I'm stronger than you, and in this small space you can't use gas." He said slowly with a slight nod. "Your job is one that is to capture someone much younger than you, you're confident, thats good, something admirable really." He said without moving, He didn't need to. He continued to lean against the wall as he looked at the man his demeanour one of calm collected thinking. "Besides, its not a particular step to outwit you I'd need. I just thought your ship looked pretty."

"I do not need your accolades." he replied, still standing in the same spot, completely at ease. "What do you wish to say to me?" he questioned, still watching him, with the air of a stalking beast, waiting for it's prey to grow weak.

Back
Top Bottom